• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senate healthcare repeal bill fails - Collins, Murkowski, and McCain voted no

Thank God. I've been killing orcs to avoid obsessing over this tonight.

Eat shit, Trump.
Fuck You, Mitch.
Thanks, McCain, Collins and Murkowski.
Also thanks everyone who called their senators and went to town halls/protests.

Back to Mordor :)

greepoman

If they thought McCain was voting YES, it would have been a 50-50 tie.....so Pence would have been there. Didn't he leave long before the actual vote though?

He came back. Someone said apparently the white house had been trying to get in touch with him but they hung up before he got there.

It's hilarious how you're the first person in this thread to thank the Democrats.

DFzSIzrW0AQ-yWc.jpg

They always got our back tho...

They deserved to be thanked

Shauni

You can laugh at the second part but premiums are insane in Arizona and we have lost an insurer or two for the marketplace.

I was mainly talking about the bullshit in regards to how the ACA was passed. Implying it, too, was rammed through Congress without any GOP input is a huge fucking lie.

Shauni

He's advocating for bipartisanship... how does that ruin it?

Because it tells the lie that the ACA was rammed through Congress, and then goes on to imply that the process of the ACA was similar in some way to this, which it absolutely was not. The only true part in it is the lack of a GOP vote, but they sure as fuck got plenty of input into the final bill. So yeah, it ruins it all because it's mostly a crock of straight fucking bullshit.

border

So the presumed sequence of events is

-McCain says he will vote YES
-White House tries to get Pence to come back for tiebreaker vote
-McCain actually votes NO
-White House gives up on trying to get Pence to return
-Turtle gives salty speech

McConnell's speech seems pretty well-prepared, though. If he was expecting victory I would have imagined something much more rambling and impromptu.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
You can laugh at the second part but premiums are insane in Arizona and we have lost an insurer or two for the marketplace.

Edit: I eagerly await Flake coming home to insane hatred.

Yeah, would be nice to get some actual changes that improve things.

But, how about some that actually have a > 0 chance of improving things.
That's what was amazing about all of these shit bills the GOP put forward. They had no redeeming qualities.

Because it tells the lie that the ACA was rammed through Congress, and then goes on to imply that the process of the ACA was similar in some way to this, which it absolutely was not. The only true part in it is the lack of a GOP vote, but they sure as fuck got plenty of input into the final bill. So yeah, it ruins it all because it's mostly a crock of straight fucking bullshit.

Yeah, the phrasing he used is bullshit. But, at least it shit on the bill too.
It's honestly not as bad as I expected.

Shauni

So the presumed sequence of events is

-McCain says he will vote YES
-White House tries to get Pence to come back for tiebreaker vote
-McCain actually votes NO
-White House gives up on trying to get Pence to return
-Turtle gives salty speech

McConnell's speech seems pretty well-prepared, though. If he was expecting victory I would have imagined something much more rambling and impromptu.

The White House has nothing to do with Pence coming back, he was called in by the Senate. And he did come back once. I'm not entirely sure why you're so deadset on all of this lol, it's a weird thing to get hung up on. And not all people are like Trump, not everyone just rambles when they speak. McConnell is a decent speaker, always has been.

muu

My wife has multiple sclerosis. My daughter is at high risk because her mother has ms (risk factor) and is female (another risk factor). Think I can sleep well once the excitement on this wears off. I'll be sure to call wyden and Merkley again tomorrow morning.

Anyone here that called their senators about this, thank you so much.

border

The White House has nothing to do with Pence coming back, he was called in by the Senate. And he did come back once. I'm not entirely sure why you're so deadset on all of this lol, it's a weird thing to get hung up on. And not all people are like Trump, not everyone just rambles when they speak. McConnell is a decent speaker, always has been.

I'm just curious if this was actually a surprise to McConnell & Company. It's entertaining and pleasing either way, but it seems unlikely to me that they would initiate a vote without having all their ducks in a row.

Yes. But it's not really hurting middle class people. Its not hurting me anyway

This is what we should focus on. There are plenty of middle class people that depend on the marketplace to purchase healthcare for a variety of reasons such as running their own small business.

Shauni

Yeah, the phrasing he used is bullshit. But, at least it shit on the bill too.
It's honestly not as bad as I expected.

Yeah, like I said, that first paragraph is solid. Throws the shade at the bill, and not so subtly at McConnell and Ryan. But that second one is straight garbage. It may be a 'call for bipartisanship' on some level, but it's surrounded by bullshit. So, two hits, and a miss for the McCain today. At least one of his hits managed to be a big one.

greepoman

Middle class people are not on Obamacare.

Umm part of Obamacare is making sure all health insurance covers certain basic things right? Pretty sure my company didn't cover mental health stuff before hand.

And I know middle class people in small companys that don't offer insurance who were able to get insurance at a more reasonable rate that before?

I'm just curious if this was actually a surprise to McConnell & Company. It's entertaining and pleasing either way, but it seems unlikely to me that they would initiate a vote without having all their ducks in a row.

I believe it was a surprise. No one, absolutely no one thought there would be three no votes.

Top Bottom