• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senate healthcare repeal bill fails - Collins, Murkowski, and McCain voted no

Shauni

So why did they go to a vote? Why did Pence leave the Senate? Did they really think they had the votes to pass the measure? Or did they know they were going to lose and just wanted to get it over with?

Everybody seems to think McConnell is shocked by McCain's vote, but I doubt they would have moved to voting without already knowing what the result would be.

If they just wanted to get it over with, they never would have called in Pence to begin with. His sole position is to break the tie. All signs point to them thinking McCain would be a yes, and when it finally got to a point when they realized he was a no, they went to the Alaskan Senator, and when she wouldn't budge, they let Pence go back and got the vote over.

Xe4

Banned
I am so relieved.
But remember, it ain't dead till democrats control at least one branch, so keep up the fight. Keep resisting.

If you live in Arizona, Alaska, or Maine call your Senator and thank them for voting against HR 1628. If you live in a state with a democratic senator, especially one that is more red like in WV, call them as well. It is both important to call in to oppose and support of different votes your legislator makes. Make your voice heard.

Collins
https://www.collins.senate.gov/i-would-contact-senator

Murkowski
https://www.murkowski.senate.gov/contact/email

McCain
https://www.mccain.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/contact-form

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Praise McCain? How about Collins and Murkowski too or do they not exist??

McCain is getting the most attention since this was so very unexpected.
But there has been talk of Murkowski and Collins too.

Praise McCain? How about Collins and Murkowski too or do they not exist??
They absolutely deserve credit for this result as well, people just aren't talking about them because they were never likely to vote yes, especially collins. There votes were expected, McCain's was not tbh

RedRum

Banned
Stay losing, Trump.

Xs2ZF60.jpg

Steel

Banned
Just checked it. Some dude thinks the stock market will crash because of this vote. Another wants people to vote Democrat if they live in Arizona.

If there wasn't so many homophobic slurs being tossed then I'd stick around.

Honestly? There will probably be a dip because of this. This puts doubt on the Senate's ability to pass the tax cuts they've been wanting. But, w/e. It'll recover.

Mechazawa

Ain't giving McCain an inch after his first two votes, but there's no denying he saved this shit last second.

Big ups to Murkowski and Collins. Don't know a damn thing about them, but at least they held to their conviction all the way through.

McConnel's Sorrow will fuel me for at least another decade.

Rot in Hell, you miserable POS turtle. My family and friends were going to suffer far worst if the ACA was repealed. You don't speak for us Americans, you ignorant bastard.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Full statement from McCain:

https://www.mccain.senate.gov/publi...eases?ID=A952CCCA-66D2-4570-9D57-514561BF3D4D

Jul 28 2017

STATEMENT BY SENATOR JOHN McCAIN ON VOTING “NO” ON “SKINNY REPEAL”
Washington, D.C. ­– U.S. Senator John McCain (R-AZ) released the following statement today on voting “no” on the so-called “skinny repeal” of Obamacare:

“From the beginning, I have believed that Obamacare should be repealed and replaced with a solution that increases competition, lowers costs, and improves care for the American people. The so-called ‘skinny repeal’ amendment the Senate voted on today would not accomplish those goals. While the amendment would have repealed some of Obamacare’s most burdensome regulations, it offered no replacement to actually reform our health care system and deliver affordable, quality health care to our citizens. The Speaker's statement that the House would be ‘willing’ to go to conference does not ease my concern that this shell of a bill could be taken up and passed at any time.

“I’ve stated time and time again that one of the major failures of Obamacare was that it was rammed through Congress by Democrats on a strict-party line basis without a single Republican vote. We should not make the mistakes of the past that has led to Obamacare’s collapse, including in my home state of Arizona where premiums are skyrocketing and health care providers are fleeing the marketplace. We must now return to the correct way of legislating and send the bill back to committee, hold hearings, receive input from both sides of aisle, heed the recommendations of nation’s governors, and produce a bill that finally delivers affordable health care for the American people. We must do the hard work our citizens expect of us and deserve.”

The Democrats seem to be the ones gasping. I kinda figure that McConnell knew what was going to happen.
McConnell is laughing as McCain walks up to cast his vote. His response afterwards makes it quite clear he didn't expect McCain to vote no.

McCain was being lobbied by the Vice President as well as senate republicans. McConnell likely expected McCain to grudgingly fall in line.

KoopaTheCasual

I am so relieved.
But remember, it ain't dead till democrats control at least one branch, so keep up the fight. Keep resisting.

If you live in Arizona, Alaska, or Maine call your Sanator and thank them for voting against HR 1628. If you live in a state with a democratic senator, especially one that is more red like in WV, call them as well. It is both important to call in favor and support of different votes your legislator makes. Make your voice heard.

Collins

Murkowski

McCain
This

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I am so relieved.

If you live in Arizona, Alaska, or Maine call your Sanator and thank them for voting against HR 1628. If you live in a state with a democratic senator, especially one that is more red like in WV, call them as well. It is both important to call in favor and support of different votes your legislator makes. Make your voice heard.

Collins

Murkowski

McCain

Yes, in particular:

Tester (MT)
Heitkamp (ND)
McCaskill (MO)
Manchin (WV)
Donnelly (IN)

They are all in states that went > 18% towards Trump, and all did the right thing.

border

Mitch was almost crying brah, you can literally see his face change from a smug AF smile to gripping realization McCain just wiped his dick out and slapped his career in the face. He 1000 percent didn't expect this
McConnell is laughing as McCain walks up to cast his vote. His response afterwards makes it quite clear he didn't expect McCain to vote no.

Maybe I am just watching the wrong footage. I can't detect much change in his demeanor from a grainy CPSAN video where the camera is 30 yards away form McConnell.

If they just wanted to get it over with, they never would have called in Pence to begin with. His sole position is to break the tie. All signs point to them thinking McCain would be a yes, and when it finally got to a point when they realized he was a no, they went to the Alaskan Senator, and when she wouldn't budge, they let Pence go back and got the vote over.

If they thought McCain was voting YES, it would have been a 50-50 tie.....so Pence would have been there. Didn't he leave long before the actual vote though?

Cool peeps:

Lisa Murkowski (R)
John McCain (R)
Dianne Feinstein (D)
Kamala Harris (D)
Michael Bennet (D)
Chris Murphy (D)
Richard Blumenthal (D)
Tom Carper (D)
Chris Coons (D)
Bill Nelson (D)
Mazie Hirono (D)
Brian Schatz (D)
Dick Durbin (D)
Tammy Duckworth (D)
Joe Donnelly (D)
Angus King (I)
Susan Collins (R)
Ben Cardin (D)
Chris Van Hollen (D)
Elizabeth Warren (D)
Ed Markey (D)
Debbie Stabenow (D)
Gary Peters (D)
Amy Klobuchar (D)
Al Franken (D)
Claire McCaskill (D)
Jon Tester (D)
Catherine Cortez Masto (D)
Jeanne Shaheen (D)
Maggie Hassan (D)
Bob Menendez (D)
Cory Booker (D)
Martin Heinrich (D)
Tom Udall (D)
Kirsten Gillibrand (D)
Chuck Schumer (D)
Heidi Heitkamp (D)
Sherrod Brown (D)
Jeff Merkley (D)
Ron Wyden (D)
Bob Casey Jr. (D)
Sheldon Whitehouse (D)
Jack Reed (D)
Bernie Sanders (I)
Patrick Leahy (D)
Tim Kaine (D)
Mark Warner (D)
Maria Cantwell (D)
Patty Murray (D)
Joe Manchin (D)
Tammy Baldwin (D)

Assholes: everyone else

I still have a lot of grievances with McCain, but I'm glad he pulled through this time around.

That being said, Murkowski and Collins are the real stars of the show.

Kthulhu

Honestly? There will probably be a dip because of this. This puts doubt on the Senate's ability to pass the tax cuts they've been wanting. But, w/e. It'll recover.

Dude thinks for some reason the taxes are stopping the economy from growing at all and that's why there will be a crash. I'm glad I'm immune to this stuff.

KillerAJD

Man, it's been a rough day for me today. I should have been celebrating my birthday, but it's my first birthday since my Grandpa and Aunt passed away, both of whom HATED Trump and the GOP with a passion. This is definitely a birthday present I'm OK with. I can only hope we continue to fight for those who need it most.

Maybe I am just watching the wrong footage. I can't detect much change in his demeanor from a grainy CPSAN video where the camera is 30 yards away form McConnell.

If they thought McCain was voting YES, it would have been a 50-50 tie.....so Pence would have been there. Didn't he leave long before the actual vote though?
No

Steel

Banned
Dude thinks for some reason the taxes are stopping the economy from growing at all and that's why there will be a crash. I'm glad I'm immune to this stuff.

Yeah, no. Corporations just want their welfare tax cuts. That subreddit continues to be pure delusion to the surprise of no one here.

The Kree

Banned
Cool peeps:

Lisa Murkowski (R)
John McCain (R)
Dianne Feinstein (D)
Kamala Harris (D)
Michael Bennet (D)
Chris Murphy (D)
Richard Blumenthal (D)
Tom Carper (D)
Chris Coons (D)
Bill Nelson (D)
Mazie Hirono (D)
Brian Schatz (D)
Dick Durbin (D)
Tammy Duckworth (D)
Joe Donnelly (D)
Angus King (I)
Susan Collins (R)
Ben Cardin (D)
Chris Van Hollen (D)
Elizabeth Warren (D)
Ed Markey (D)
Debbie Stabenow (D)
Gary Peters (D)
Amy Klobuchar (D)
Al Franken (D)
Claire McCaskill (D)
Jon Tester (D)
Catherine Cortez Masto (D)
Jeanne Shaheen (D)
Maggie Hassan (D)
Bob Menendez (D)
Cory Booker (D)
Martin Heinrich (D)
Tom Udall (D)
Kirsten Gillibrand (D)
Chuck Schumer (D)
Heidi Heitkamp (D)
Sherrod Brown (D)
Jeff Merkley (D)
Ron Wyden (D)
Bob Casey Jr. (D)
Sheldon Whitehouse (D)
Jack Reed (D)
Bernie Sanders (I)
Patrick Leahy (D)
Tim Kaine (D)
Mark Warner (D)
Maria Cantwell (D)
Patty Murray (D)
Joe Manchin (D)
Tammy Baldwin (D)

Assholes: everyone else

Us versus them. That's all it's ever going to be.

Top Bottom