• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus |OT| Life Returns to Vita

fedexpeon

Banned
I never played the first game. Will I be completely lost in regards to the plot? Or does it really not matter?

giphy.gif

Yup, I am definitely playing for the plot.
I hope I will be completely lost into the plot as well.

PS: It isn't a JRPG or anything where plot is actually important. Just great hack/slash gameplay, plot is an afterthought imo.

pariah164

I see. Guess I'll hold off on this then
To be fair, you don't have to play Burst to understand this game. It's not as plot heavy as say, Danganronpa or the Zero Escape series. I can say with 99% certainty you can play this and enjoy it thoroughly without playing Burst. But if you prefer to play Burst first, get it while it's on sale, if you have a US 3DS. Will be on sale till the 14th.

You're playing it for Life.

Eolz

Taking the EU digital version because I want to buy Daidouji on my regular account.
plus I already have enough Senran Kagura goodies that make the physical version unnecessary. Looking great though

Crimson Squad forever !

i think they got the jigglyness wrong on the video:

The hair should jiggle liek the breasts

the breasts should jiggle like the buttocks

The buttocks should be made of steel.

Carry on.

Corgi

Banned
ordered a while back.

question, how vital is it to finish evil ninja school storyline in Burst (beat hanzo at launch) ? Tried going back to that game, but i just can't stand the framerate anymore... and bunch of other games to play.

Luigi87

The PLOT makes the plot so hard to follow. It's unbelievably distracting!

... So uh, yeah. Getting PSTV with this as well.

pariah164

ordered a while back.

question, how vital is it to finish evil ninja school storyline in Burst (beat hanzo at launch) ? Tried going back to that game, but i just can't stand the framerate anymore... and bunch of other games to play.
Not too important; as stated above, the plot is pretty much an afterthought, a frame to hold all the flashy attacks and fanservice together. If you played through Hanzo, that really covers all you need for this game. It does give you some nice insight into the Hebijo girls, though.

pariah164

Wait im confused. i thought homura/hikage and co. were hebijo in Burst? Did they switch schools?
Burst spoilers, if anyone cares:
Homura and her friends left Hebijo at the end of Burst. They now operate underground as a mercenary team, the Homura Crimson Squad.

Corgi

Banned
Homura and her friends left Hebijo at the end of Burst. They now operate underground as a mercenary team, the Homura Crimson Squad.
shit back on that. wonder how long it will take to blast through the story missions. dont recall there being an easy setting.

This thread reminded me I hadn't pre-ordered this yet, thanks!

Hopefully Amazon will still ship release day if i ordered today. I'm just happy so many good Japanese titles are being localized for Vita.

Prelude.

I'm so ready for this, the videos XSEED are uploading daily got me pumped again for the game.

And hopefully my package arrives safely, I never ordered something bigger than a PS3 case from VGP.

Hugstable

Banned
Wait im confused. i thought homura/hikage and co. were hebijo in Burst? Did they switch schools?

SK Burst Spoilers:

I'm assuming they left Hebijo and became outlaws after Homura assissnates the guy who plotted to summon Orochi. This causes them to leave and I guess they formed their own squad which gives way to a whole new group of Hebijo girls.

Yasumi

Banned
Would you say the gameplay in this can keep up with traditional musou games (dw, wo, sw)?

I'd say so. It has a lot more air dashing and pursuit than a typical musou. It really just plays like SK Burst (fairly traditional action beat-em-up) with a different camera angle, more enemies, and a decent framerate.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Finished paying off my pre-order for this today. Hoping the music will be good, since I wouldn't mind another gaming OST in my car. Just glad to hear it's about 39 tracks/almost 80 minutes, which is a nice change from getting ones that aren't even 10 tracks.

Also, might as well mention that the Bon Appetit DLC costumes also work in SV. Cross-compatible DLC is awesome.

Oh, & I guess I should also point out that Burst is on sale on the 3DS eShop for $20 until SV releases. So if you've been holding out on that, might as well grab it now.

pariah164

Funnily enough, I'm most excited about the DLC being transferable to Dekamori/Bon Appetit. And this last week is gonna be killer; trying to get in as much NepReb as I can before this comes along and dominates my Vita.

Finished paying off my pre-order for this today. Hoping the music will be good, since I wouldn't mind another gaming OST in my car. Just glad to hear it's about 39 tracks/almost 80 minutes, which is a nice change from getting ones that aren't even 10 tracks.
Watch the videos for examples of the music. It all sounds pretty boss IMO, especially Murakumo's theme.

flohen95

I actually bought Burst without knowing exactly what I was going in to. I was ordering something (I think it was Assassin's Creed 4 on Wii U) from some online store in the UK and saw the game for 25€ back in, what was it, March this year? Anyway, I remembered that I heard that it was a game that's actually digital only in the US and physical in Europe (and Japan obviously), so I wanted to support the game since, well, Europe needs more physical copies of obscure, Japanese games. When I got it about 2 weeks later, I was... well, let's say surprised by what it was. I really liked it though. Like, not just the fanservice, but story and gameplay, too. Reminded me of those 16-bit sidescrolling beat 'em ups, gameplay wise. Oh, and the music. My god. Some really beautiful guitar tracks on there. I was genuinely, positively surprised and happy about my impluse purchase.

Now, sadly, despite me buying the game very early after release (I actually found out that it wasn't even out in Germany yet at that point and saw some copies on store shelves since), it's Vita kind-of-sequel only gets a physical release in the US, which pissed me off at first, but there's nothing I can do about that I guess. Thankfully Vita is region free, so for now, it'll work out. Though this will be the first game that I'll have to create an American account for... Ah well.

When the news broke that the game would be digital only, I went ahead and preordered the American physical release. Initially, I had never planned to buy a game like this at full price. I did like Burst, but at the end of the day, there are many games out there that are just better or more appealing to me. However, my inner collector went crazy, so I thought "fuck it" and preordered. That was in early August, around my birthday.

And now I'm here. I guess I'm part of this now. Yay! Will be interesting to see if the game will leave the same impressions as Burst did, though the surprise factor is obviously gone. But it's kinda nice knowing what you're getting into, too.

Vylash

Funnily enough, I'm most excited about the DLC being transferable to Dekamori/Bon Appetit. And this last week is gonna be killer; trying to get in as much NepReb as I can before this comes along and dominates my Vita.
Wait, are the characters transferable too? Because Rin in Bon Appetit is something I really need

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I have my physical copy preordered. I'm surprised at how much I'm looking forward to this. Hopefully I'll have Persona 3 Portable finished by then.

OP is mistaken, best girls are Katsuragi and Ikaruga. Nice job otherwise :)

Can't wait, even if I prefer the story and tone in Burst.

You can freely choose any school at your first play, right?

You have to finish the three other schools to be able to select Homura's group (aka best story arc).
Once you have finished Homura's side, you unlock her and Asuka's final battle.
Keep in mind each school present a different take and tone on the story: new Hebijo is grim whereas Gessen is much more sweet. The heroines of Hanzo are always deadly serious and give your regular shounen manga cast a run for their money in hot-bloodedness. Homura Gurentai is love.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Wait, are the characters transferable too? Because Rin in Bon Appetit is something I really need
From what I'm seeing, yes, character DLC is sharable as well.

Now I just hope Bon Appetit is priced reasonably. I'm not a big fan of spending $20+ for a digital-only game (& no, Xseed said they don't have plans for the physical version to come over) and the only time I broke it was for Burst & AA5.

For our importers, how does the game hold up gameplay/framerate wise?

And while my wife is most certainly repping team life, I am quite partial to team hometown^^

Ken

For our importers, how does the game hold up gameplay/framerate wise?

And while my wife is most certainly repping team life, I am quite partial to team hometown^^

There's some framerate drops but it holds up pretty well most of the time, IIRC. I don't remember it ever being a huge issue.

Here's the import thread; might be able to find some impressions in there.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Imported this from Japan and absolutely loved it. Will have no problem double dipping this.

Can't wait for more Asuka x Homura and Yagyu x Hibari x Haruka love triangle goodness.

MUnited83

For you.
giphy.gif

PS: It isn't a JRPG or anything where plot is actually important. Just great hack/slash gameplay, plot is an afterthought imo.

I have to disagree. The plot and dialogue is actually surprisingly good. Better than many JRPGs that's for sure.

Top Bottom