• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senua's Saga: Hellblade II | Preview Thread

evanft

So is Spider-Man and GOD War for that matter.

Saying SM2 or GOWR are similar to previous games with prettier graphics is accurate, but it's also somewhat missing the point. SM and GOW are dramatically deeper/longer games with much more content, story, etc. than Hellblade. HB is a walking simulator with basic puzzles and simplistic combat. I would expect that after so long and with Microsoft's deep pockets we'd be getting more, especially since Microsoft really lacks a big blockbuster single player game that could really go toe-to-toe with what Sony is usually putting out.

Well.......what did you want? It's Hellblade. That's the game.

The first game was, IMO, a lot like the first Alan Wake. Solid narrative and atmosphere, but devoid of anything approaching interesting gameplay mechanics or replayability. (Though HB is a lot better than AW, IMO) I was hoping the combination of seven years of time and new ownership would result in them being free to take things to the next level and really expand on what they did in the first game, but it's looking more and more like that isn't really the case.

Last edited:

FlyyGOD

Saying SM2 or GOWR are similar to previous games with prettier graphics is accurate, but it's also somewhat missing the point. SM and GOW are dramatically deeper/longer games with much more content, story, etc. than Hellblade. HB is a walking simulator with basic puzzles and simplistic combat. I would expect that after so long and with Microsoft's deep pockets we'd be getting more, especially since Microsoft really lacks a big blockbuster single player game that could really go toe-to-toe with what Sony is usually putting out.

The first game was, IMO, a lot like the first Alan Wake. Solid narrative and atmosphere, but devoid of anything approaching interesting gameplay mechanics or replayability. (Though HB is a lot better than AW, IMO) I was hoping the combination of seven years of time and new ownership would result in them being free to take things to the next level and really expand on what they did in the first game, but it's looking more and more like that isn't really the case.
I get it longer and more of the same is better than shorter and more of the same.

Fredrik

Probably shouldn’t for spoilers but I went through all these previews. This is going to be something else, really can’t wait! About a month left now, I don’t need to see any more of it now until I get to play it. Just hoping for a good PC version, no shader stutter.

Last edited:

Trunim

How about we just play good games and if Xbox dies then it dies lol just enjoy games it’s not your job to worry about a platform dying
Enjoy what games though? I didn't say shit about platform dying but now when you mention it, it'd be pretty bad for everyone if the market lost a major competitor.

Fredrik

Enjoy what games though? I didn't say shit about platform dying but now when you mention it, it'd be pretty bad for everyone if the market lost a major competitor.
I think less competition will drop the quality in games and hardware, yeah. But I think consoles will go away anyway, within a decade or so. The future platforms will be digital and launchers that can run on multiple boxes, so lacking competition might not be such a big deal soon. The launchers will still need high quality software to get people to use them.

Crayon

Hmm no system requirements up on steam yet.

I look forward to my computer bursting into flames. Then I can buy a new one.

demigod

Never said they were “paid” to do those previews but I wouldn't be surprised if there were stipulations in the preview contract that required the Xbox marketing team to vet the script and video prior to publishing (that's not uncommon in marketing).

And the bit about how well the first was received… people like things for lots of different reasons. I thought the game had/has really interesting visuals and the cutscenes had a lot of thought behind them. But having completed the game, I thought the gameplay itself was trash — it was boring, it was extremely limited, it was extremely repetitive. I understand that it was done this way because they were budget conscious and they were trying to prop up the story; that doesn't mean it's good.

The award nominations and “wins” came down to the graphics and how the story dealt with the important subject of mental health, not because ‘as a video game’ it was special in any way.
MS sent out the scripts to them for the preview. They had to emphasize about 1 on 1 battles. Did folks already forget about df’s gears 5 or the countless scripts of Redfall?

Ozriel

M$FT
MS sent out the scripts to them for the preview. They had to emphasize about 1 on 1 battles. Did folks already forget about df’s gears 5 or the countless scripts of Redfall?

Tinfoil Hat GIF by The Tick

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
That looks good. It seems the gameplay is still just walk forward and run into monsterish people to fight. At least from the trailer.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
That looks good. It seems the gameplay is still just walk forward and run into monsterish people to fight. At least from the trailer.
To me, new God of War was pure boredom and chore combat-wise filled with damage sponge enemies and wished it all to end before it even started, while in Hellblade I looked forward to each fight with anticipation cuz I love the combat system, how simple it is yet addicting - I literally killed hundreds of enemies at the end before I realized that I was suppose to lose:messenger_grinning_squinting:

Last edited:
Top Bottom