• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade II: Senua's Saga - New Trailer | The Game Awards 2021

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I cant get over how good the fire effects are in this game, and how well the lighting engine 'retains' the glow of it. Those little smoke and fog particles remain illuminated even after the fire is extinguished. Just like they would in a well-lit movie. This is hollywood quality stuff.
yjm0eHa.gif

Fuck me, the lighting is a massive leap. It's crazy how dull and drab the lighting has been in last gen games. We really missed realtime GI this gen.
Her character model is also a massive leap over the original which looks kinda bad now lol

Ohh man that some other level shit.
Since the TGAs ive been watching this trailer basically any time ive got 6 minutes to spare.

People arent praising the fire anywhere near enough....I cant think off head of a game with better fire than this.
As you said the fire looks near movie quality.

Hell I actually absolutely love the whole presentation of this game, even the shallow depth of field and film grain.
The depth of field quality is some other shit....i know some people hate depth of field and motion blur, but for me those are two effects that really enhance the experience in games like this.

Lighting is based on the enviorment that the character is in. The actual model and surface shaders will react to the lighting within the enviorment.

You can disagree without being combative, but I don't personally see it. Aloy face model has hair follicles that are present on her skin and eyebrows. Often characters have eyebrows that are just part of the skin texture, but they're actually individually modeled. It's very easy to see since she has very thick eyebrows. The hair follicles are also easy to see, which can be seen under her chin, cheeks, under her lips, and around her nose (you can see it poking around the nostril area)

The face pait is very similar to HB2, but the cracks add more depth, which is mostly present under her eyes and near her cheek/mouth. It is an earlier build while HFW is releasing in a few months, but as it stands right now, I just don't see how it's a generation ahead.

Please dont....please please dont.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I cant get over how good the fire effects are in this game, and how well the lighting engine 'retains' the glow of it. Those little smoke and fog particles remain illuminated even after the fire is extinguished. Just like they would in a well-lit movie. This is hollywood quality stuff.

yjm0eHa.gif

please-stop-my-penis-can-only-get-so-erect.jpg

sncvsrtoip

Many compared just the model of Senua with the initial trailer but what about the rest?

Anyway after the matrix this is the first absolute example of next gen, finally people can understand what I meant when I was saying that so far everything was underwhelming, but finally next gen is kickin in, I think if this is the level the next gen 8s reaching PS6 will surely be affected by diminishing return

Now we have a proper fuckin generational leap like Killzone Shadow fall

Jump is massive, still seeing how matrix ue5 demo struggle on nextgen consoles think we will see some downgrade in the end (tough maybe Im wrong and thx to linearity of the game downgrade is not neceserry)

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
People arent praising the fire anywhere near enough....I cant think off head of a game with better fire than this.
As you said the fire looks near movie quality.

Hell I actually absolutely love the whole presentation of this game, even the shallow depth of field and film grain.
The depth of field quality is some other shit....i know some people hate depth of field and motion blur, but for me those are two effects that really enhance the experience in games like this.

Totally agree.

I'm assuming its some sort of Houdini bake, because its frankly just too good to be anything else. That gif of the burning giant rolling over is pretty fascinating to me because so much of the impact comes from the camera/lens simulation. The way they fill the scene with smoke, and then light the smoke to obscure background detail is just brilliant. The subtle anamorphic lens flare across the width of the image really helps to sell the effect too.

Its a great example of what matters in selling a scene as "real" is the space between scene-elements, its framing, and making the camera behave in a way that is physically correct. All the detail in the world isn't enough to carry it off, you need to ground it in a holistic sense of "being there".

leizzra

Paragraphs are your friend.
Fair enough. But is it really the only thing that you took from my post...

I won't argue more about this topic because as all fanboys wars it is pointless. I know what I preach. I'm just shocked that there are some people that don't see the differences when those are so clear. Then again there are times when people see the downgarde but really it is mostly light change/art direction decision. This time it's not the case.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Looks amazing. Do we know what this is running on?

Almost certainly the PC build.
I doubt they would be running code on console just yet.......the game is some ways out after all.
They didnt even give us a 2022.
So its either a holiday title or an early 2023 title.

oldergamer

I won't argue more about this topic because as all fanboys wars it is pointless. I know what I preach. I'm just shocked that there are some people that don't see the differences when those are so clear. Then again there are times when people see the downgarde but really it is mostly light change/art direction decision. This time it's not the case.
Im still not convinced there is a downgrade at all. Difference is clear but i think certain artistic choices are what people are thinking downgrade is about.

Not only that who is to say those scenes from the early trailer are not in the game? Nobody.

Does camera closeness play a factor in the clarity of the initial trailer? Does camera focal point? Yes it does. Does the lighting play a factor? Yes it does.

I see the same senua model, the same facial vains ( noted its harder to see but is still there ) with clothing and hair slightly different. Lighting is less stable with fewer light sources.

People complaining about animations being downgraded are nuts. Its all motion capture and performance capture. I dont know how anyone could claim that being any lesser then before when all we really saw was senuas as face previously.

Last edited:

xPikYx

Im still not convinced there is a downgrade at all. Difference is clear but i think certain artistic choices are what people are thinking downgrade is about.

Not only that who is to say those scenes from the early trailer are not in the game? Nobody.
Honestly After the Matrix and what the Unreal Engine 5 can do I don't think there is a downgrade either, with metahuman we can have perfect reproduction of Keanu Reeves and so Senua can look as that trailer

Lethal01

Jump is massive, still seeing how matrix ue5 demo struggle on nextgen consoles think we will see some downgrade in the end (tough maybe Im wrong and thx to linearity of the game downgrade is not neceserry)

The Matrix Demo was made by 30 people on an engine that isn't even out yet. Just while making it they managed to make lighting at least 50% faster while being far more accurate. Teh cause of the framedrops are known problems with clear roads to fixing them, they won't cause it's just there to showcase graphics, not be a locked 30fps

leizzra

But the differences in fidelity is not an artistic choice.

Face of Senua is a great test subject here in regards to materials, details, animations, lighting. Also as I noted - look at the flyby through the envirponment at the beginning and how flat it is, how rocks pop in (it's not great word here, they are more blending in). Look at the shadow softness, how soft is the shadows falloff in 2019. Depth of field, noise - it all screams high quality. New trailer gives the impression of lacking shadows, as if it doesn't have contact shadows or occlusion (something very noticable in Halo Inifinite). There are fragments where nose holes of Senua aren't darkened. That's what gives an impresion of lacking shadows (but this still doesn't have to be downgrade but looks sometimes bizzare). Skin material is more diffuse while in 2019 it was more fleshy, with proper transmission (this again can be an effect connected to light but it usually is more noticable, especially that this is one of the tricks to fool the eye).

Yes, Senua's model can look better in different light conditions, especially with more direct lights. Still diffuse light in dark environment is great way to show realism. And there are moments where we have warmer light from fire which coresponds to 2019 trailer.

For me Senua is just another good looking character. With proper lighting it can look better, but still there are limitations to that. Senua from 2019 looked real, but moreover her face behaved like real person. Here we have top quality of games but just like some other stuff. There it was really CGI quality (probably Unreal Engine CGI, because I believe it was in-engine).

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

No surprise at all. The style and above all balanced* construction of the scene is reminiscent of KojiPro stuff.

*A big thing if you read old interviews with Kojima about his approach to doing cut-scenes is to not overspend resources on stuff that doesn't add value to the presentation. Put all your effort into doing the best on the focal points, scale it back on stuff that's background or secondary, but never neglect the spaces in-between as that's what binds everything together.

So apparently I'm hearing Hellblade II, what was shown at the TGAs, is actually still on Unreal Engine 4, 4.26 specifically. They just mentioned it on Mr.Boomstick's podcast, has there been any other mention of this?

Because if so, then that makes what they showed even more impressive, considering the first thought everyone's had is it was on UE5. FWIW the 2019 trailer was also on UE4, and UE5 still isn't available for developers to use quite yet, outside of those working on showcase demos like the recent Matrix one. Considering HB II still has at least a year to cook and porting the code and assets over to UE5 when the time's right, I'm pretty confident the final game will surpass what was shown recently and also surpass the UE4 in-engine trailer from 2019.

That's quite crazy to think about, but that's what it's looking like.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

As previously suggested by rumors from credible sources of the industry, Ninja Theory's upcoming Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2 made an appearance at this year's The Game Awards. Fans got to a decent chunk of actual gameplay, and while not a lot is known about the game's combat and other gameplay systems - we certainly have had a good look at the game's visual presentation.

Ninja Theory delivered an excellent game with 2017's Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, and at least from what's shown - the developer has outdone itself in almost every regard and as it stands - Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2 seems to be one of the if not the best looking game of this generation up until now.

Dr Bass

So apparently I'm hearing Hellblade II, what was shown at the TGAs, is actually still on Unreal Engine 4, 4.26 specifically. They just mentioned it on Mr.Boomstick's podcast, has there been any other mention of this?

Because if so, then that makes what they showed even more impressive, considering the first thought everyone's had is it was on UE5. FWIW the 2019 trailer was also on UE4, and UE5 still isn't available for developers to use quite yet, outside of those working on showcase demos like the recent Matrix one. Considering HB II still has at least a year to cook and porting the code and assets over to UE5 when the time's right, I'm pretty confident the final game will surpass what was shown recently and also surpass the UE4 in-engine trailer from 2019.

That's quite crazy to think about, but that's what it's looking like.
Uh ... is there, again, any data to back this up?

There is story after story more than a year ago that HB2 IS using UE5. As in currently.

And on, and on, and on ...

So either it's already using it, as already stated and quoted all over the internet (if it wasn't true why wouldn't they deny it at the time?), or Microsoft straight up lied by confirming it when it wasn't actually happening. Take your pick.

There is no way in hell (har har) that a project this big would suddenly port a pipeline over to UE5 "When the time is right." That is not how software development works at all. They are in full development already. And this idea that UE5 "isn't available yet," yeah it's not in general release available on the UE site, but obviously between businesses Epic can have agreements with whoever they want and make engine code available to those said businesses. Which is almost surely what is actually happening. Unless of course everything reported until now was simply a lie. 🤷‍♂️

So again, we have all kinds of sources saying UE5, and then I guess we have Mr. Boomstick's podcast. Kinda feels like we should go with official sources that have spoken on the record until we hear otherwise.

sinnergy

I can’t imagine it’s not UE5 unless they now have 2 builds and this showcase was a small piece rebuild in UE5. You can’t port it all months later , without a delay .

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I Think Senua's Model here is great - in 85% of what's on screen - but it seems the animation department skimped on curating out the Uncanny Valley elements frame by frame - thus, the result is inconsistent.

Still Looks heads and shoulders ahead of Horizon Forbidden West, If you are Merely Judging these assets through the lens of Photorealism. But they still remain inconsistent. Some Part's Senua's Face is far more natural and far more palpable, some parts she dips into the Uncanny for a few frames at a time. And to those who have been waiting for this problem to go away, it's obvious. The fix, is to go back and frame by frame... curate each frame to match the filmed performance or merely curate the assets reduce dips into the Uncanny. Not Some Frames as has been accomplished here. So What I'm saying is, if they wanted to mitigate this factor - with more care, they could have.
It would be better to compare Hellblade 2 to a game that is aiming for photorealism and isn't crossgen

The Order 1887 would look on the same level

Hobbygaming

Hellblade 2 looks amazing but there will be a lot more games in 2023 and beyond that will be on par and also some games that will look greater

Ozriel

M$FT
There are more "I want to believe" posters here than the last X-Files convention.
Dev shows off gameplay, and confirms its gameplay. At this point, it’s in ‘fact’ territory that this game will be visually spectacular.

Seems you’re the one clinging to a weird belief here.

Ozriel

M$FT
Hellblade 2 looks amazing but there will be a lot more games in 2023 and beyond that will be on par and also some games that will look greater

lmao, and what has that got to do with this thread? Did anyone say Hellblade 2 would forever be the best looking game?
When those games get trailers, they’ll also get their own discussion threads. Just like this one.

I’m not sure what exactly prompted this, Captain obvious.

leizzra

There's a reason why it's not good to make UE5 game right now - it's still in development. Even Epic is advising to test the Enigine but not to make a game on it, especially game that is in development for some time on UE4. Hellbalde 2 can be different because they have Epic support, so they can count on resolving problems quicker. Still it's a risky path. Especially if you were able to have 2019 trailer quality in UE4.

For characters alone you don't need UE5 especailly that, at least for now, it's not providing too much extras in this department.

Hobbygaming

lmao, and what has that got to do with this thread? Did anyone say Hellblade 2 would forever be the best looking game?
When those games get trailers, they’ll also get their own discussion threads. Just like this one.

I’m not sure what exactly prompted this, Captain obvious.
Whoa

calm down chill out GIF by Bounce

Uh ... is there, again, any data to back this up?

There is story after story more than a year ago that HB2 IS using UE5. As in currently.

And on, and on, and on ...

So either it's already using it, as already stated and quoted all over the internet (if it wasn't true why wouldn't they deny it at the time?), or Microsoft straight up lied by confirming it when it wasn't actually happening. Take your pick.

There is no way in hell (har har) that a project this big would suddenly port a pipeline over to UE5 "When the time is right." That is not how software development works at all. They are in full development already. And this idea that UE5 "isn't available yet," yeah it's not in general release available on the UE site, but obviously between businesses Epic can have agreements with whoever they want and make engine code available to those said businesses. Which is almost surely what is actually happening. Unless of course everything reported until now was simply a lie. 🤷‍♂️

So again, we have all kinds of sources saying UE5, and then I guess we have Mr. Boomstick's podcast. Kinda feels like we should go with official sources that have spoken on the record until we hear otherwise.

The 2019 trailer was made in UE4 because 5 wasn't available yet. UE5, to my knowledge, still isn't available for developers yet, except those like The Coalition who've helped in certain demos showcasing the technology.

Yes, HBII is being made with UE5, but that doesn't mean the team is actively using UE5 at this very moment. The final product will be made in UE5, that could mean for example the work being done in UE4 gets ported over to UE5 and polished out from there. IIRC, porting work from UE4 to UE5 is extremely easy, Epic designed it that way intentionally to facilitate a quicker uptick in UE5 games and projects once the engine is fully available for use.

I think you're looking at this in terms of absolutes and things only being one way or the other way. One thing to keep in mind though is that if the 2019 trailer was made in UE4, and you have some people claiming (rather erroneously, i.e they can't explain it correctly) that the new gameplay is a downgrade from that trailer, then how is it so unbelievable to consider the new gameplay was in fact built in UE4? Now it is possible Epic have licensed UE5 out to select teams, but it seems they're only doing this for teams willing to help on tech demoes showcasing the technology, as I don't think the engine itself is fully assembled and complete quite yet to justify regular deployment to development studios. The fact that The Coalition, back in the summer, said they were going to go quiet "for a while" to work on something, which turned out to be The Matrix demo (Xbox version), well if they had select access to it is the reason they would've had it early due to them working on that tech demo?

Then again, a few other Xbox teams teased reactions to the HBII showcase suggesting they may be ready to show some stuff soon and assuming Ninja Theory have built the new demo in UE5 (which could be possible, as a vertical slice, even if the rest of the game is still on UE4 currently), then maybe your idea on this holds some weight. That all said, I don't see why having a dissenting opinion on something I've heard needs to draw up accusatory charges against Microsoft and their teams, that's going a bit far don't you think?

platina

We do see the downgrade, some have pointed them out from the get go. This image was posted on the other site and the difference is “more than noticeable”

senuacomparisonl6jgm.png

senuacomparisonubj5t.png

why there’s such a massive difference in character rendering and fidelity considering this is running on UE5 on the left remains unclear...

Last edited:

xPikYx

We do see the downgrade, some have pointed them out from the get go. This image was posted on the other site and the difference is “more than noticeable”

senuacomparisonl6jgm.png

senuacomparisonubj5t.png

why there’s such a massive difference in character rendering and fidelity considering this is running on UE5 on the left remains unclear...
I don't understand either, with metahuman we have perfect reproduction of real actors and so they should match cgi with that

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

senuacomparisonl6jgm.png

senuacomparisonubj5t.png

Downgrade would suggest that the original trailer was actual gameplay, running in-engine. Except it wasn't. The only people who suggested such were the most ardent of console warriors. No one with a brain believed the CGI trailer was going to be how the game actually looked.

Last edited:

xPikYx

Downgrade would suggest that the original trailer was actual gameplay, running in-engine. Except it wasn't. The only people who suggested such were the most ardent of console warriors. No one with a brain believed the CGI trailer was going to be how the game actually looked.
The difference is actually very little, also, again, with metahuman you can finally match CGI so if there is a downgrade is only because this game is not developed using that technology

It wasn't a CGI trailer. It was in-engine.

leizzra

Firstly, MetaHuman is something different, it's not an UE5 feature, it works in UE4 (and that's how it was marketed). It's an human generator (like characters generators in games).

The models form Matrix are scanned actors, not made in MetaHuman editor. MetaHuman can look really good, but even in Epic marketing materials it often looks fake, stylised/cartoonish. So it's not that it makes all the work for you. It may be great for generating lots of NPC though, especially that they use one rig for animations so that facial expression work from start (and have blend shapes for that already).

If you have an actor playing a role in a game you still need to scan him, his facial expressions for balnd shapes, textures, motion capture. Then I presume you can upload it to MetaHuman (I haven't tried it myself yet, quite buisy in finalazing project). But you can do the same things in engine itself.

As for UE5 advantages for characters - well I haven't seen any yet besides animations. They may be working on that (maybe even with Ninja Theory). I need to ask my colleague who works on UE5. But I belive that we need more of an optimalisation of what we already have (subsurface materials, hair materials, spline-like hair system) then the new stuff. Characters can look great already in UE4. It's more a problem of time for producing high quality assets and then the hit in frame rate it can have. I'm wondering still if they will be able to make Nanite work with skined meshes and even so, if our work will be feasible on this big meshes (especially animation department can have problems with that).

From the screens above I only now notiecd that they do have light leaking, it's small in this shot, but in motion I had strong feeling of that. Also the hairs seems much better - geometry and materials, but then again it's hard to judge in new trailer.

I'm super happy for the team at Ninja Theory. They've had a spotty but inconsistent past in games development, but I've always held a fondness for their particular flair and creativity because Heavenly Sword will always have a special place in my heart and any developer who recognises the exultant majesty of Anna Torv (my fucking waifu bitches!!!!!) to include her in their game needs a fucking medal.

The first Hellblade was a stunning piece of work and equally even more so a testament to this team's adept skill considering the meagre budget it was developed on. HBII seems poised to rocket them into prominence as one of MS's best dev teams. I'm sure MS is overjoyed and I'm sure NT is too happy to have the resources and creative freedom to realise their ambitions in all their fullest glory.

I hope that this game turns out great. It sure looks the part.

senuacomparisonl6jgm.png

senuacomparisonubj5t.png

The left is actual gameplay, the right is in-engine and was also on UE4. It is dumb to compare these shots and claim one is a downgrade because too many differences in lighting type, light source, emotional expression and weather exist between the two. Meanwhile other details like model geometric density appear pretty much the same. We'd need to see shots of her in the new gameplay that are clearly as 1:1 as possible with the 2019 trailer before trying to claim downgrades. Otherwise it's like trying to claim a Ferrari in a storage shed that hasn't had a wash in a week is a "downgrade" to a Ferrari that just got buffered and given a cleaning polish, placed out in direct sunlight.

There are factors present which would bring out/accentuate certain details in one case while suppressing them in the other. Same thing goes for bodybuilding; you cut water intake and oil up to bring out the muscle definition even more, but when not in competition some of those details are harder to make out because they aren't cutting water as much and may not be training as hard.

None of this has been taken into consideration by people either here or on ERA trying to claim the new footage is a downgrade, and considering the final game will run in UE5 whereas the 2019 trailer was in UE4, I would like to think that any details that might have been less pronounced in the new gameplay footage will match or even exceed the 2019 version when all's said and done considering NT seem to know their tech and they'll be working with a better engine in UE5.

hyperbertha

You MUST be high. lol. I dont care if it was downgraded -- it was downgraded to the best looking console game to date! No game even touches this. Like, just look at how natural her hair and clothing sway when she runs. The mo cap is top tier! Not animations - those were actual performances. I'm still shook from it.
Try watching at anything higher than 360p. The character models are no better than any other AAA exclusive, if not slightly worse. The giant's body while looks good in certain lighting angles, is really no more detailed than your average god of war troll. Most of the quality in the show really came from the horrible lighting which masks the lack of detail. Everything is in shadow.
HPnHgnQ.jpg

This is the best shot of the giant and look how blurry everything is. Its a classic trick. Blur makes everything look more detailed than it really is. Its arm, which is actually clear, has low texture resolution. The face is too much in shadow and blurry to see if the polycount is good or not.

Last edited:
Try watching at anything higher than 360p. The character models are no better than any other AAA exclusive, if not slightly worse. The giant's body while looks good in certain lighting angles, is really no more detailed than your average god of war troll. Most of the quality in the show really came from the horrible lighting which masks the lack of detail. Everything is in shadow.
You're making a fool of yourself, bro.

oldergamer

HPnHgnQ.jpg

This is the best shot of the giant and look how blurry everything is. Its a classic trick. Blur makes everything look more detailed than it really is. Its arm, which is actually clear, has low texture resolution. The face is too much in shadow and blurry to see if the polycount is good or not.
This post is garbage dude.

Top Bottom