• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I can't help but notice how diametrically opposed Hellblade and Stellar Blade are

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
  • Eastern dev vs Western dev
  • Future vs Past
  • Outer Space vs Earth
  • Over-the-top vs grounded
  • Attractive protagonist vs huh...okay one
  • Heavy emphasis on combat vs heavy emphasis on themes and story
  • Fast-paced with loads of enemies vs slow-paced with fewer enemies
  • Playstation console exclusive vs Xbox console exclusive
  • Three performance modes leaning towards 60fps vs a single one locked to 30
  • Bright and colorful vs dark and foreboding
  • 20-40 hours vs much less game time (6 hours?)
  • Even their names, hell is traditionally believed to be below the Earth, and stellar means stars which are located above
I say this because I realize it represents very well the tug-o-war that is going on with gaming at the moment. On the one hand, you have the more traditional approach we've become accustomed to over the last several decades: an attractive woman with a skintight body suit, breasts, and jiggle physics like in DOA that isn't scared to use fanservice to please the crowd. It doesn't seem like it's looking to explore any modern themes such as mental illness or grief in depth. the game simply looks like it wants to be fun. Cutscenes and exaggerated fights galore with insane movesets and reportedly challenging combat with tons of options and combos. Hellblade couldn't be any more opposite. It's the "new dev" from the West who thinks that games should be more than games and can tell a story and have themes that are just as poignant as in movies or books. The narration is heavily scripted and the game is directed like a dark fantasy in the vein of The Northman. There doesn't seem to be much variety in terms of moves, combos, enemies, or weapon choices and the game is short and sweet. It's clear the dev isn't looking for the player to have "fun" because gaming can be more. It wants to challenge us mentally and emotionally.

Am I just crazy or onto something? Obviously, it's purely a coincidence that they're hitting the scene only one month apart but I do find the juxtaposition fascinating and a great allegory on what is happening in the game industry at the moment. It's almost like Hellblade represents a certain forum and Stellar Blade represents Gaf lol. The fact that their names are Hellblade and Stellar Blade is just too good a coincidence.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
  • Western dev vs Eastern dev
  • Future vs Past
  • Outer Space vs Earth
  • Grounded vs over-the-top
  • Even their names, hell is traditionally believed to be below the Earth, and stellar means stars which are located above
I say this because I realize it represents very well the tug-o-war that is going on with gaming at the moment. On the one hand, you have the more traditional approach we've become accustomed to over the last several decades: an attractive woman with a skintight body suit, breasts, and jiggle physics like in DOA that isn't scared to use fanservice to please the crowd. It doesn't seem like it's looking to explore any modern themes such as mental illness or grief in depth. the game simply looks like it wants to be fun. Cutscenes and exaggerated fights galore with insane movesets and reportedly challenging combat with tons of options and combos. Hellblade couldn't be any more opposite. It's the "new dev" from the West who thinks that games should be more than games and can tell a story and have themes that are just as poignant as in movies or books. The narration is heavily scripted and the game is directed like a dark fantasy in the vein of The Northman. There doesn't seem to be much variety in terms of moves, combos, enemies, or weapon choices and the game is short and sweet. It's clear the dev isn't looking for the player to have "fun" because gaming can be more. It wants to challenge us mentally and emotionally.

Am I just crazy or onto something? Obviously, it's purely a coincidence that they're hitting the scene only one month apart but I do find the juxtaposition fascinating and a great allegory on what is happening in the game industry at the moment. It's almost like Hellblade represents a certain forum and Stellar Blade represents Gaf lol. The fact that their names are Hellblade and Stellar Blade is just too good a coincidence.

Thoughts?

what’s the logic in using a sequel that’s made on similar themes as the 2017 original game as an allegory for the state of the game industry in 2024?

Only thing you can take from these games is the diversity in gaming experiences, and thank fuck for that. It’d suck if everything played like Stellar Blade.

Last edited:

Fake

Completely different games and styles of games.

The Wire Reaction GIF

SHA

Could you list 5m eastern players who are emotionally invested in Stellar Blade? right, eastern people aren't really interested in this game, you won't actually know these people from this game or their type of contents in general, if you wanna understand these people watch youtubers or visit eastern countries, they are most of the part misrepresented.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Contrasting two major releases coming out at similar times. Just leave if you don’t like it.
Nope? I like it. I am a fan of ridiculous comparison (contrasting) threads on Gaf. There is legitimately no point of your comparisons. I’m trying to figure out the reason behind your thread. Is it really because of the word “blade” in their titles? Otherwise, I seriously don’t get the reach behind the thread at all…

You literally asked this in your OP, “Am I just crazy or onto something?”
Two completely different games. Not even close comparisons, why are we doing this?

You’re not crazy, but you are making crazy threads.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Nope? I like it. I am a fan of ridiculous comparison (contrasting) threads on Gaf. There is legitimately no point of your comparisons. I’m trying to figure out the reason behind your thread. Is it really because of the word “blade” in their titles? Otherwise, I seriously don’t get the reach behind the thread at all…

Two completely different games. Not even close comparisons, why are we doing this?
Pick up a dictionary and learn what the word "contrast" means. Else, stop wasting my time when I blatantly explained the point of the thread.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Pick up a dictionary and learn what the word "contrast" means. Else, stop wasting my time when I blatantly explained the point of the thread.
No point. I’ve argued with your BS threads before and I’ll leave it alone now because it won’t change (please stop making threads)…I wouldn’t want to stir the pot and make you feel like I’m in the wrong here. Good luck with your posts in the future.

Also, “contrast” is a cool word, but act like you aren’t trying to “compare” at the same time…please pick up a dictionary.

Last edited:

demigod

Dunno broskis. If my wife had a face like that and screamed maniacally, i’d probably punch her face.

kidding of course

Gaiff

I absolutely hate how you kept changing the order of the games in that list :messenger_astonished:
Ah! I actually made sure to keep the order the same but I did notice I changed it twice. Edited one of them. Too lazy to change the last one so you'll have to make do with that.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I’m glad all types of games exist, although we can sure as hell use more Stellar Blades these days.

I hope it does well on PS5, and then gets ported to PC and does well there to send a message to the industry.

Humdinger

• Eastern dev vs Western dev
  • Future vs Past
  • Outer Space vs Earth
  • Over-the-top vs grounded

Thoughts?

Yeah, two very different games, with two very different goals. I'm interested in both, and I'm glad that both exist.

A few thoughts...

I'm not sure I buy the idea that these two games represent "the tug of war that is going on with gaming." You characterize that war as being about serious narrative games with deep themes vs. action-heavy, "fun"-oriented games (I'm simplifying a little). I don't think there is a war on between those types of games. I think those are just two different types of games that attract two different types of players.

I disagree with how you characterize Stellar Blade:

On the one hand, you have the more traditional approach we've become accustomed to over the last several decades: an attractive woman with a skintight body suit, breasts, and jiggle physics like in DOA that isn't scared to use fanservice to please the crowd.

What makes Stellar Blade stand out is that it is not what we've been accustomed to -- at least, not over the past decade. What we have seen instead is an uglification of women in games. The games you describe in the quote above have become very scarce.

I do agree that there is a "tug of war" going on that involves Stellar Blade, but it's not with games like Senua's Saga, and it's not about narrative vs. action-oriented games. It's between the crowd who want to uglify women and the ones who want a return to the old, overtly sexy style. Senua's Saga isn't a part of that war. There was no attempt to uglify Senua. That's how they created her. She's schizophrenic. She's not supposed to be attractive and sexy. She's supposed to be mentally disturbed and miserable. The tug of war with Stellar Blade isn't with games like Hellblade -- it's with games like Fable or Spider-Man 2.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Yeah, two very different games, with two very different goals. I'm interested in both, and I'm glad that both exist.

A few thoughts...

I'm not sure I buy the idea that these two games represent "the tug of war that is going on with gaming." You characterize that war as being about serious narrative games with deep themes vs. action-heavy, "fun"-oriented games (I'm simplifying a little). I don't think there is a war on between those types of games. I think those are just two different types of games that attract two different types of players.

You say:

But what makes Stellar Blade stand out is that it is not what we've been accustomed to -- at least, not over the past decade. What we have seen instead is an uglification of women in games. The games you describe in the quote above have gotten very rare.

I do agree that there is a "tug of war" going on that involves Stellar Blade, but it's not with games like Senua's Saga, and it's not about narrative vs. action-oriented games. It's between the crowd who want to uglify women and the ones who want a return to the old, overtly sexy style. Senua's Saga isn't a part of that war. There was no attempt to uglify Senua. That's how they created her. She's schizophrenic. She's not supposed to be attractive and sexy. She's supposed to be mentally disturbed and miserable. The tug of war with Stellar Blade isn't with games like Hellblade -- it's with games like Fable or Spider-Man 2.
You're 100% right about the uglification of women and I did want to include that in the OP but figured I'd just stick to the gaming parts because we got enough political discussions going on as it is.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
This is a dumb thread, but I think from now on whenever someone comments on attractiveness of video game characters, they should share pictures of the women in their lives.

Kataploom

Gold Member
This the ultimate fight of western vs eastern for the gaming crown, the loser must have to comply to winner trends in order to survive in the industry. Seems like sexy girls are winning against conservatively dressed ones.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I think it's mostly a tug of war between eastern and western devs.

The west is definitely looking to tackle more grounded characters even when setting their games in fantastical settings like zombie apocalypse, space operas and medival fantasy. Whereas japanese devs want to focus on the fun aspect of their games and it typically seeps into the story resulting in a far less serious take on the subject matter. even FF16 which was supposed to be a serious game of thrones style game didnt take itself too seriously and had plenty of odd characters and goofy moments.

I dont like the comparison between 6 hours vs 25 hours. One, the game is 8 hours long, and not all western games are that long. if anything, the western games are too long nowadays. even cinematic ones from sony. tlou2 for example was 30 hours long.

There are also plenty of western games that use outer space to set their games. Star wars jedi survivor, avatar, Starfield and Dead Space released just last year. Callisto a month before that and Suicide Squad earlier this year with Star Wars Outlaws coming out later this year.

I think you have a point or two here, and this is definitely an interesting OP, but some of those connections dont really fit. they are just two very different games doing some very different things. I wouldnt hold Hellblade 2 as a microcosm of western gaming. they are doing their own thing. 1v1 combat, letterbox gameplay. linear as fuck game design. mental health focus. western devs have left all that behind and are chasing open worlds, gaas and longer games.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Exactly…But what’s the point of the thread??

Hint - there isn’t one.

There is. It is the discussion of eastern values versus western values. What eastern cultures prioritize in developing a game and the player base they think are the priority versus western culture and player base focus.

I get you are a massive Xbox Fanboy, but you don't need to enter a thread because there may be some discussion that may be mildly critical of an exclusive on your favorite plastic box.

This is a dumb thread, but I think from now on whenever someone comments on attractiveness of video game characters, they should share pictures of the women in their lives.
Are you the IGN France writer?

Last edited:
Whynotboth.gif

It’s like there’s some portion of the population that doesn’t understand that just because you don’t like a thing, someone else can. And it’s OK. It shouldn’t be something to get so upset over.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
what’s the logic in using a sequel that’s made on similar themes as the 2017 original game as an allegory for the state of the game industry in 2024?

Only thing you can take from these games is the diversity in gaming experiences, and thank fuck for that. It’d suck if everything played like Stellar Blade.

Wait , I thought that Sony 3rd person movie-games® sucked either way due to their non-gameplay® ?

At least, that's what people have been saying in here ! 😚

How things change, amazing !

Top Bottom