• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin' |OT| Almost Brings a tear to my eye

How Xbox Fanboys Look When They Defend The Xbox One For Having 720p, 30FPS, or Timed Exclusives
10384203_921373007890864_8268177108578271491_n.jpg

Sounds about right

Watched SMASH Wrestling's CANUSA Classic 2014, great tournament with 14 of the best women's wrestlers in North America today - well worth a watch;

http://smash-wrestling.com/product-category/digitaldownloads/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roRbu-kUnAg

There's an impromptu tag match that was a lot of fun, but Kong vs LuFisto was great stuff and I was very impressed with the likes of Xandra Bale and Angie Skye, who I've seen little of to date. Vanessa Kraven is pretty damn awesome, she's really come into her own over the past couple of years, while Courtney Rush seems to have bounced back from injury better than ever. This was a real fun show, little over two hours long and it just breezed by. This is the sort of thing more indies need to be doing; keep it short, not every match needs to be 15-20 minutes.

Gabe says DGUSA have sorted out the visa issues with Dragon Gate wrestlers, but the first time they will be able to make it to the states is in December - meanwhile, EVOLVE are going on a tour of China in November with 28 roster members and, as she now resides there, Lacey will also be on the show! That's cool as hell, hope they bring Rain along and we get a reunited Minnesota Home-Wrecking Crew match.

Gabe says DGUSA have sorted out the visa issues with Dragon Gate wrestlers, but the first time they will be able to make it to the states is in December - meanwhile, EVOLVE are going on a tour of China in November with 28 roster members and, as she now resides there, Lacey will also be on the show! That's cool as hell, hope they bring Rain along and we get a reunited Minnesota Home-Wrecking Crew match.

Yup, saw this earlier. The China thing has been brewing for a while. It's awesome that Lacey is on the shows, she hasn't done wrestling stuff in a while.

Aiii

So not worth it
Recently released WWE writer Kevin Marshall called into Wrestling Observer Live earlier this week and gave some fascinating insight regarding the creative process involved in producing WWE television. In light of ongoing reports that WWE (specifically, Vince McMahon) is constantly rewriting scrips for RAW, even while the show is the air, Marshall vented about Vince McMahon “micromanaging everything to death” –

“Basically everything is micromanaged to death and I know there is a lot of talk of ‘they’ over there when we talk about the writing process for the show. It is no secret that the buck stops with Vince, but when I was there, and I guess that this started sometime before even I started there back last October, he was micromanaging everything to death. Basically you’re sitting there trying to write for him and you’re trying to figure out what he wants. The job became very quickly trying to figure out what Vince is thinking and then having him tell you he’s changed his mind. So when we talk about the show being rewritten as it’s happening, what I need people to know is that that show was likely written well in advance and there was an attempt at it, but either nothing was approved or everything got scrapped and rewritten by the man himself.”

Marshall said that the creative team works under a constant aura of uncertainty, knowing that they are writing specifically to please Vince McMahon, not necessarily what they think is the most compelling material. He described Vince McMahon’s reaction to finalized scripts “a crapshoot.” Sometimes, production meetings go smoothly and are done in under an hour. Often, extensive rewrites are made.

Another big issue is that the creative team has become fragmented into two main groups. One group of writers works full time at WWE headquarters in Stamford, Connecticut, while another team is constantly on the road with WWE and assists with the production of the shows and the ongoing revisions. Marshall believes the creative division needs to be overhauled and streamlined.

When asked about the biggest misconceptions that fans have of the creative team, Marshall explained that the writers don’t pick and choose who should be pushed and who shouldn’t – and said fans need to realize how difficult it is to create at least 7+ hours of fresh programming each week.

“Well, I think the biggest misconception is that we sit around and we decide who gets pushed and who doesn’t, that we sit there and lay out what the tent poles are going to be for the year, like ‘hey, John Cena should win the title, blah blah blah’. We don’t make those decisions, we don’t make those calls on finishes, we don’t sit there and hold talent back.

I think that’s the biggest misconception is the idea that we just sit around and we bury talent and we try to come up with ideas to make everybody look stupid. That’s certainly not the case! Just speaking from a writer’s perspective, I never met anybody who was in the business of trying to make somebody else look bad. I think it’s very easy when you watch our product, and I think just when you watch professional wrestling in general, to get the impression that wow, they’re really going out of their way to make this guy look stupid.

It’s really just a combination of things: 1) There’s a lot of politics that goes on behind the scenes that the creative team is not in control of; [and] 2) There are certain guys that probably are their own worst enemy, as we all are, myself included.

It’s a lot, lot harder than it looks, especially when you have a limited roster, which when you thumb through it on WWE.com that roster looks huge, [but] when you lay it down on a piece of paper and you have to fill like sixteen segments for Monday and then twelve for Tuesday, which is Smackdown, and then you have Main Event and Superstars and everything, it’s really, really hard.”

Well then, blame Vince, I spose.

Aiii

So not worth it
Bolder makes no sense. So the roster is supposedly small so let's focus that to an even smaller group then just redo that shit on Tuesday for Smackdown? Go fuck yourself.

Actually, it makes sense. He says that there's so many hours and not enough guys and he's probably right.

The phrasing is weird, but he basically just says that there's too many hours of TV a week and you just end up repeating all your shit because you're stuck with the roster and the feuds their are at that moment.

somedevil

So here are the two versions according to Pwinsider and Wrestling Observer on what will happen with Dean, John, Orton and Rollins:

Wrestling Observer:

Dean vs Cena at pay per view. The winner faces Seth and loser faces Orton.

Pwinsider:

Dean vs Cena at Raw 1 or 2 weeks the pay per view to face Rollins. The loser either faces Orton or be the "keeper of the key" outside of the Cell match.

So its going to happen. The only difference is when the Dean vs Cena match happens.

Sephzilla

So here are the two versions according to Pwinsider and Wrestling Observer on what will happen with Dean, John, Orton and Rollins:

Wrestling Observer:

Dean vs Cena at pay per view. The winner faces Seth and loser faces Orton.

Pwinsider:

Dean vs Cena at Raw 1 or 2 weeks the pay per view to face Rollins. The loser either faces Orton or be the "keeper of the key" outside of the Cell match.

So its going to happen. The only difference is when the Dean vs Cena match happens.

No win scenario here. Either Dean gets buried by Cena or we get another Cena/Orton match.

DMczaf

Give away Dean vs Cena for free, or curtain jerk them. With both scenarios ending with Dean being another victim of "THAT MAN FEEDS US!"

Vince is great.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So odds on how completely busted and simplistic the 'match rating system' will be for 2k15? I can't imagine 'having a good match that look good' working in a game that animates and controls like the WWE games.

Aiii

So not worth it
Neither will I. They gave him the biggest non-Daniel Bryan face moment at WM30 and then immediately turned him heel.

They figured they had to many faces, descision was made to keep him heel, there you go, mystery solved.

Shitty mystery, and stupid considering their number two and number three top babyfaces are now injured and not on TV, but there you go, it is what it is.

Sephzilla

They figured they had to many faces, descision was made to keep him heel, there you go, mystery solved.

Shitty mystery, and stupid considering their number two and number three top babyfaces are now injured and not on TV, but there you go, it is what it is.

"We have too many face wrestlers" sounds like another incredible "Vince" moment of stupidity.

Oh no! We have too many well liked wrestlers that people will buy the merch of!

Ithil

And now they have no faces. Cena and Ambrose, and that's it. Sheamus is dead in the water in the mid card, Orton is heel, Bryan and Reigns are injured, everyone else was pushed at a midcard level and thus, in one of WWE's many self-fulfilling prophecies, are in the midcard.

Had they pushed Cesaro as a face this whole time since WM, they would have had a guy to push into that spot near the top of the card.

somedevil

And now they have no faces. Cena and Ambrose, and that's it. Sheamus is dead in the water in the mid card, Orton is heel, Bryan and Reigns are injured, everyone else was pushed at a midcard level and thus, in one of WWE's many self-fulfilling prophecies, are in the midcard.

Had they pushed Cesaro as a face this whole time since WM, they would have had a guy to push into that spot near the top of the card.

You know they will do nothing but just hold out because Bryan and Reigns are coming back in November. Then they will have there 4 top faces.

They should do more with Ziggler without Bryan and Reigns he is the closest number 3 they got.

Ithil

You know they will do nothing but just hold out because Bryan and Reigns are coming back in November. Then they will have there 4 top faces.

They should do more with Ziggler without Bryan and Reigns he is the closest number 3 they got.

Then I don't want to hear them crying about how they have no stars. It's their own fault.

Top Bottom