• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin |OT| Team WWF vs. The World

strobogo

Banned
A. Joey Mercury should be back on TV, if just to pad out the roster more. B. Norman Smiley should get a random match either on NXT or Smackdown. C. I swear I saw the Smiley Slam in the past month or two, but I can't remember if it was in WWE or TNA. D. I love that the majority of WWE backstage staff are midcard WCW guys.

tm24

Just a heads up, tonight PBS is airing an episode of its Voces series that focuses on lucha libre. Airs at ten tonight

Enfinit

Boy, I sure hope "The Viper" Randy Orton can overcome these odds, despite injury, and hit that RKO from out of nowhere for the win!

Boy, I sure hope 10-time WWE Champion John Cena can overcome these odds, despite injury, and hit the 5-Knuckle Shuffle from out of nowhere for the win!

EDIT: Looks like he didn't:

19AHP

UberTag

Boy, I sure hope 10-time WWE Champion John Cena can overcome these odds, despite injury, and hit the 5-Knuckle Shuffle from out of nowhere for the win!

EDIT: Looks like he didn't:

19AHP
If they really wanted to be thorough, they should've had Wade Barrett throw Randy down another flight of stairs to top off the beating he took from Show and Del Rio. Kane should have then given him grief for shaking his hand while Christian mocked Orton and tried to bait his lifeless corpse into hitting him.

Finally, they should have trotted the 314-day WWE Champion out to get RKOed from out of nowhere and pinned.

RBH

20120927_LIGHT_ME_punksheamus_C.jpg

wwe-main-event-hq-logo-wallpaper-bhabaniwwe-in.jpeg

ION Television’s new weekly program, WWE Main Event, will kick off with one of the biggest matches of the year. Announced on SmackDown, WWE Champion CM Punk will face World Heavyweight Champion Sheamus in the main event – the first-ever meeting between the two Superstars!

WWE Main Event debuts this Wednesday on ION Television. The hour-long program will feature in-ring action, commentary, exclusive behind-the-scenes content and continue to build on the events of Monday Night Raw, leading directly into Friday Night SmackDown, making Wednesday night appointment viewing for the WWE Universe.

Don’t miss the huge featured contest – Champion vs. Champion – on the debut on WWE Main Event this Wednesday, Oct. 3, 2012 at 8/7 p.m. CT.
http://www.wwe.com/shows/wwemainevent/first-main-event

strobogo

Banned
I wonder how many weeks it will take to have main events of Primo vs Titus. Remember when Superstars started out with DA UNDATAKA, I believe either Punk defending on his first reign or challenging Edge or Jericho for the title, Rey, Orton. I think all the top guys besides HHH and Cena appeared on the show in the first two months. And then it became a straight up Metal and Jakked level show. Which is ok with me, but I can't wait to see how quickly it turns into Superstars 2.0.

Also, it really looks like the title is shopped onto Punk, which is hilarious since surely they've had a chance to get a picture of him and the belt in the past year.

Santino just used a tickle attack on Heath Slater on Saturday Morning Slam. Thanks a lot for legitimizing Fire Pro Wrestling on 360 Santino. :/

This is cool to see - all the So-Cal indies are getting together to hold a benefit show in order to help pay for the funerary costs for Willie Mack's father, 'Foots', who passed away earlier this week;

ioqqeB8jOkdAD.jpg

Found WCCW International Star Wars on 6/17/83 - when looking for...something else.

Whole thing. Amazing crowd, amazing heat, if you have an hour and a half and want to watch a real golden age with WCCW I highly recommend watching this. Amazing stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX3gGJXv5A8

Honestly I don't expect anyone to watch it, but if you do, it's worth it.

Bill Irwin, Fishman, & Mongol vs Chavo Guerrero, Chris Adams, & Jose Lothario
David Von Erich vs Jimmy Garvin
Iceman King Parsons vs Buddy Roberts
Kamala vs Armand Hussein, Tola Yatsu, & Mike Bond
Harley Race vs Kevin Von Erich
Michael Hayes & Terry Gordy vs Kerry Von Erich & Bruiser Brody

This is when Kamala was TERRIFYING. Harley Race was crushin' and Bruiser Brody was amazing. So much good.

SOLD! Definitely watching this tonight, looks like a ton of fun. Early 80's Kamala was just awesome - I've been working my way through Mid-South TV from 1985, and it's great seeing Kamala able take a bump or two.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
oh my goddddddddd

I'm catching up on Raw

and Kaitlyn walking out on crutches

loooooooooooooooooooool

she still got it

Izick

So for some reason, I decided to watch the 99' Royal Rumble a few days back. I absolutely loved every minute of it (never had the money or opportunity for PPV's when I was younger), and just thought it was such a blast. The whole Vince and Stone Cold leaving the ring gimmick was kind of lame, but I thought it made for an interesting twist, and provided an awesome finish with Vince winning by trickeration.

Anyway, I was under the impression that my mind was clouding me with nostalgia. Sure, the late 90's to early 00's were the best times in wrestling, but current day isn't that bad compared to then, right? Well, I have been watching every single raw since the 99' RR, and I'm about 3 or 4 show out I think, and I was wrong. The show really was just that good back then. It just had so many interesting story-lines going for it. Sure, some of it was juvenile or a little risque, but it was damn entertaining. The WWF belt wasn't the end all, be all; or at least there seemed to be other things that were just as important at times. The smaller matches and stories were just more interesting even; the Shamrock and Val Venis feud is absolutely hilarious at points for example. There's just a lot of shit going on.

I don't know what I'd do now, but I really hope that the WWE gets to the point where it has to be more creative and interesting then it is today. And before you start saying anything, if you know me, you know I'm not one of these mindless assholes that say "LOL MODARN DAY WRESTLING SUCKS LOL." I'm just saying that there has to be a way to go back to that old formula, or evolve from it in a smarter way. I mean, those crowds back then are just...fucking amazing, and not just for Rock and Stone Cold either. Mankind, D Lo Brown, and others get these huge fucking pops like crazy. If you think back and remember huge pop; I mean shit you'd never believe, you're not fuzzying up those memories with nostalgia, those pops really did happen. Crowds were just amazing.

So I don't know, I just thought I'd share.

Was this ever posted because I just LITERALLY DIEEeeeEEeeD from laughter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMmAsqtGRmk&feature=player_embedded

edit: omg his john laurenitis one in the related videos....I'm dying here.

HAHAHAHA

Izick

Would you all like if the WWE moved back to some more gimmicky characters? I mean, they did that with Brodus, and I think it has turned out to be pretty fun so far. I just hate that almost everyone is just a boring dude in a suit now. I don't know, I miss gimmicks. A gimmick with good wrestling to back it up makes me happy.

EDIT: Also more factions would be dope.

Wrestling needs more characters full stop, especially in the mid-card. So many guys have entirely negligible gimmicks that often can be described as 'typical WWE heel'. Cody Rhodes, for example - what is his gimmick? He's arrogant, he's outspoken, he sometimes cheats to win. Typical WWE heel. Miz? He's arrogant, he's outspoken, he sometimes cheats to win. Typical WWE heel. Zigger? He's arrogant, he's outspoken, he sometimes cheats to win. Typical WWE heel. So dull.

But giving a guy a gimmick, giving him some semblance of character, requires the sort of inventiveness WWE creative seem to have in short supply. They can't even keep a sense of coherence and continuity to any feud longer than a month, as it is.

Izick said:
Also more factions would be dope

I totally agree - stables and factions are amazing when done right, and at their worst still give lower card wrestlers an opportunity in the spot-light. But, WWE doesn't seem to understand how stables work any more. Look at the SES, Nexus, The Corre and the New Nexus - stables are meant to be a bunch of guys that band together to either protect each other, or use their superior numbers to achieve greater success than they could on their own. In WWE, a stable is just a bunch of guys lined up to be knocked down by a WWE Super Hero face like John Cena.

Izick

Amen.

Numbers always used to mean something, no matter who the members. It would always be a sticky situation for whoever was by themselves. Also, you hit the nail on the head with all the heels being so similar. Same goes for the faces, but I will say it's harder to differentiate yourself as a pure face. I feel like all the creativity and originality in the Rhode's family went to Dustin.

Easy.

Miz is AWWESSOOOOOME

And Ziggler is a show off.

Totally different.

Ziggler tries to have some Rick Rude shit going on, but he doesn't go far enough with it. The Awesome thing is barely a gimmick. (I know you were just kidding though.)

Izick

And I want to reiterate: I don't think modern wrestling is bad, it's just a bit boring. There's not enough variety, and the last thing they ever should have done was stretch it out to 3 hours; UNLESS they finally kill Smackdown, like they should have.

That would be a start. Either kill Smackdown, or do it right; meaning make it live, on Thursdays, have some real talents, etc. Make it compete with RAW again in terms of must-watch ability.

PWInsider confirms that Sara Del Rey has reported to NXT to begin her new role as a Diva trainer. There are no plans yet to use her as on-screen talent.

Top Bottom