• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sequence |OT| Rhythm, Role-Playing, and Ronald Jenkees

Feep said:
New patch should be live now!

Patch notes:

- Gem speed modifiers (1x, 1.5x, 2x, 3x, 4x) have now been added to the options menu.
- Freeplay mode has now been implemented: go to any battle song in Bonus mode and hit the 1 key or Y button to play!

THANK YOU BASED FEEP

Mr_Zombie

Feep said:
- An option to turn off spell particle effects has been added.

Thank you so much! :D
I'm in the group of crappy GPU owners and whenever a spell particle effect occurred it was inevitable that the game would slow down and fail to recognize key inputs due to crappy framerate. Turning those effects off is a blessing :D.

CenLX615

Neo Member
I'm on Windows 7 and it seems that enabling windows xp compatibility mode for the game causes Steam to complain about it when starting up Steam. Had to remove that compatibility mode setting from the game to start up Steam.

Another thing is, I'm using my arcade stick to play because my keyboard sucks and it seems the xp compatibility mode causes issues with the version of Xpadder that I'm using.

Just putting it out there if people are encountering the same issues as me.

Feep

Banned
To my knowledge, you can't remove the Compatibility Mode setting without changing the folder Sequence.exe resides in, because Steam will reset it to on every time it runs. Check it again; it should actually be enabled.

As far as XPadder not working, it definitely works for other people, and XP3 Compatibility mode is forced for everyone, so I'm not sure what the culprit is, there...

Goddamn,

For the life of me, I can't do shit when 7th floor guardian effect takes place. I instantly turn into a vegetable. Every other effect was just a tiny annoyance. Fuck. I don't think I'll be able to beat this game on hard =(

Feep

Banned
narcosis219 said:
Goddamn,

For the life of me, I can't do shit when 7th floor guardian effect takes place. I instantly turn into a vegetable. Every other effect was just a tiny annoyance. Fuck. I don't think I'll be able to beat this game on hard =(
Dat inhibitor

Feep said:
Dat inhibitor

I CAN'T EVEN BEAT A SINGLE MONSTER =(. Also, boss battle would be even more impossibler with dat inhibitor doing jack shit.

I guess I can just hope there is a dead period when the effect hits... lol.

Feep

Banned
The inhibitor has an effect on bosses. Bosses can normally use their Guardian Effects multiple times, but with an inhibitor, they can only do it once.

I'd say just grind a bit on the sixth floor. I included the most powerful synthable weapon in the game on the sixth floor, not the seventh, for this very reason. (Lightwave Blade)

Feep said:
The inhibitor has an effect on bosses. Bosses can normally use their Guardian Effects multiple times, but with an inhibitor, they can only do it once.

I'd say just grind a bit on the sixth floor. I included the most powerful synthable weapon in the game on the sixth floor, not the seventh, for this very reason. (Lightwave Blade)

Oh I didn't know that they would stop bosses somewhat. Cool. Thanks for the tip.

Also, I just realized that the effect flips the positions in the same way every time. This I can get used to.

Just me cryin like a lil' bitch don't mind me :)

narcosis219 said:
I CAN'T EVEN BEAT A SINGLE MONSTER =(. Also, boss battle would be even more impossibler with dat inhibitor doing jack shit.

I found floor 7 insanely easy once I powered up my spells. Maybe unlock better versions of the spells your using.

svegis

overcast said:
When I get Xbox Live I will buy this game. Sounds fantastic Feep.
Not sure if you've missed it or prefer it on xbox live, but it's out on Steam, too! As of a week ago or so, I believe. Works great for me so far, will post (mini)-review when I'm done.

Gotten up to floor four and I have to say so far it's excellent, superb soundtrack too.

CenLX615

Neo Member
Feep said:
To my knowledge, you can't remove the Compatibility Mode setting without changing the folder Sequence.exe resides in, because Steam will reset it to on every time it runs. Check it again; it should actually be enabled.

As far as XPadder not working, it definitely works for other people, and XP3 Compatibility mode is forced for everyone, so I'm not sure what the culprit is, there...

Yeah, that's what I'm doing right now, I changed it for Sequence.exe and run the executable instead of through Steam. I'm pretty sure it's the compatibility mode because it works if I also turn the compatibility on for Xpadder and vice versa with turning all of them off. But this doesn't solve Steam not booting due to it complaining about the compatibility mode.

narcosis219 said:

what level are you? the effect doesn't bother me that much, rather its the amount of hp/defense/flow the 2nd and 3rd monster have. i can kill the 1st monster just fine, but the 2nd and 3rd monster, i run out of time before i can get their hp low enough.

i don't really like how the items cost exp to synthesize. i'm one of those people that need to synthesize everything before moving onto the next level. i lost like 4 levels synthesizing that half moon thing or whatever the hell it is which is completely useless to me. thus, im only lvl21. i don't know of thats good or bad.

also the latest heal spell, which i forget the name of is ridiculous to cast (spasmodic). i can cast it fine on 100-120bpm songs, but mad props to anyone who can pull off that spell on disorganized fun.

edit: okie, well i found out a way to beat the 2nd guy using the dimmer spell. made it so much easier.

Feep

Banned
It doesn't make any sense that Steam could not open if Sequence.exe has a compatibility mode checked. Steam is merely a tool that runs Sequence.exe if you click on it...the file should never be accessed until that happens...

Hm.

gblues

Banned
narcosis219 said:

Step 1: Map your primary keys to ASDF
Step 2: Map your secondary keys so they're inverted, i.e. REWQ
Step 3: When the guardian effect kicks in.. switch which row of keys you're using.

gblues said:
Step 3: When the guardian effect kicks in.. switch which row of keys you're using.

Haha thats cheeky!

gblues said:

Actually, this is what I did after I figured out that its the same switch every time. ;D

I played the game for 20 minutes (up to the first Floor) but I stopped because I couldn't stand the writing/dialogue. Don't try to be ironic, just tell me a story.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Computer said:
I played the game for 20 minutes (up to the first Floor) but I stopped because I couldn't stand the writing/dialogue. Don't try to be ironic, just tell me a story.
The stuff between the main character and the speaker box is pretty painful, I'll agree with you there, but I have chuckled several times at the item descriptions and the boss dialogue. Either way though, you should be playing for the gameplay, not the text, which can be skipped.

Jasconius

Feep said:
Edit: Never mind! ^^
Problems with the save slots? Or all done testing?

Anyway, I didn't read through this whole thread but I did have a request to make. Would it be possible to save your high accuracies in the bonus screen? I'm enjoying just playing the songs on spasmodic now that I beat the game but it would be awesome if I could see how well I've done before. ^^

Feep

Banned
Jasconius said:
Problems with the save slots? Or all done testing?

Anyway, I didn't read through this whole thread but I did have a request to make. Would it be possible to save your high accuracies in the bonus screen? I'm enjoying just playing the songs on spasmodic now that I beat the game but it would be awesome if I could see how well I've done before. ^^
The save slot patch should go through when the Valve guys wake up. I did three times more QA on this patch than any other, so we should be just fine.

Not a bad idea, though I think it's lower on the priority list at the moment. = D

So uh... my "On Your Way" achievement glitched, so I started a new game on a different save to get it. Got it, switched back to my old save slot, and I all my items were replaced with the tutorial items and I had to do the backpack tutorial. Now I don't have proper spell slots and all my items are gone.

=\

Feep

Banned
Littlegator said:
So uh... my "On Your Way" achievement glitched, so I started a new game on a different save to get it. Got it, switched back to my old save slot, and I all my items were replaced with the tutorial items and I had to do the backpack tutorial. Now I don't have proper spell slots and all my items are gone.

=\
You have no idea how many times I tested this exact scenario, trying to make sure this would never happen.

Can you try to describe a more specific series of steps that you took, so that I can reproduce the bug? I'll give you an extra game code for your trouble. = ( Sorry.

Step by step I did this:

From my normal save, I exited to the main menu.
I clicked on new game, did not select a difficulty, and backed out.
I went to save slot and picked slot 2. I exited the save slot menu.
I went to save slot and picked slot 4. I exited the save slot menu.
I went to new game. I picked spasmodic.
I skipped the cutscenes and dialogue.
I killed the first enemy and got the achievement.
I skipped the dialogue and pressed escape to return to the main menu.
I webt to save slot and picked slot 1. I exited the save slot menu.
I went to continue.
I selected gear.
The tutorial started.
I alt f4'd, hoping it didn't overwrite my save.
I started the game.
I went to save slot and picked slot 1. I exited the save slot menu.
I went to continue.
I selected gear.
The tutorial started.
I went through the tutorial, hoping it wouldn't actually change my gear.
In the safe room, I selected gear. My gear was replaced with the tutorial gear.

It's not too much hassle. Since the game is actually fun, I don't really mind replaying what I've done so far.

EDIT: It might be important to note that I exited immediately after the battle, before the tutorial started.

Feep said:
That's next patch! Should be next week.

After that is volume sliders.
Ooh, screen adjustment? Beefy like.

I finally managed to play this after a full plate of IRL stuff, and it's FANTASTIC. Probably one of the best rhythm games I've ever played, and this is coming from a big Parappa/Bust-a-Groove fan. Feep, you are a good person.

Shaneus

They probably played it on easy.

Edit: Wow, it's like they reviewed it as if it was a full-priced game. Bitching about no cutscenes, even though it's a budget indie title? Jesus fuck, IGN.

Feep

Banned
Shaneus said:
They probably played it on easy.

Edit: Wow, it's like they reviewed it as if it was a full-priced game. Bitching about no cutscenes, even though it's a budget indie title? Jesus fuck, IGN.
That Toyota doesn't have a V8 NOS-injection engine? What a piece of shit

Trickster

Maybe I'm just stupid, But I can't seem to find the place to apply the steam key that feep gave me for the game. Anyone that can help out'?

Vaporak

Trickster said:
Maybe I'm just stupid, But I can't seem to find the place to apply the steam key that feep gave me for the game. Anyone that can help out'?

Open steam, in the bottom left hand corner there's a button that says +add a game. Click that then click activate a product on steam.

Ok finally got a chance to try this out last night, but got a message that the game is currently unavailable. Then I got the same message again tonight. Help please.

Feep

Banned
Either your .exe is corrupted (verify game cache), or Valve's servers are having issues in your geographical location. Where are you located?

Card Boy

Banned
Jeeezzz at that IGN review, Its worth an 8.5 at least (Needs more songs and the grind was abit much)

Normally i don't care about reviews but what bothers me is reviews like these are damaging to Indie developers as they need all the positive word of mouth they can get.

Feep

Banned
Gez said:
Jeeezzz at that IGN review, Its worth an 8.5 at least (Needs more songs and the grind was abit much)

Normally i don't care about reviews but what bothers me is reviews like these are damaging to Indie developers as they need all the positive word of mouth they can get.
The vast majority of reviews are positive, including Eurogamer's 9/10 and EDGE's 8/10. Unfortunately, those reviews were specifically for the XBLIG version...which means the IGN one is the only one that's going to appear on Metacritic, which really sucks. = (

Shaneus

Feep said:
The vast majority of reviews are positive, including Eurogamer's 9/10 and EDGE's 8/10. Unfortunately, those reviews were specifically for the XBLIG version...which means the IGN one is the only one that's going to appear on Metacritic, which really sucks. = (
Yeah, it really blows. The only way that graphics score could be valid would be if they really DID rank on a full scale, because as far as indie games go the artwork was average in the truest sense of the word... in that there are about as equal number of indies with better art as there are with worse.

But we all know that's not how IGN work. At all.

Feep

Banned
Here, I'm going to make myself feel better.

Sequence Review - Bit-Gamer
Like any game, Sequence has problems and people who don't like it (Harry and Clive, to name two) - but to spend any time weighing or discussing those few, tiny flaws would be to reduce the gestalt to its individual components. I don't want to do that; I don't want to overlook the fact that Sequence is one of only four or five games I've ever played that lives up to its potential so absolutely and with so little room for improvement. Nor do I want to shrink back from giving the highest score our publication can possibly give - if I'm going to talk about using the entire 1-100 score scale, I have to use both extremes.

So, 99 per cent is a score for cowards, for those who want to obscure matters with discussion about hypothetical perfection in a medium defined by subjectivity. There are no perfect games suitable for all audiences; but there are those worth 100 per cent.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Feep said:

Sequence Review - Bit-Gamer

Man, fuck'em. IGN is probably the most hated site on this forum; I think it might draw even more ire than World Star Hip Hop does!

The 100 percent score is sick, and the user scores are ALL positive for you on Metacritic.

I'd recommend just going nuts, taking the risk it will ALL be bad scores, and throwing a free download to all the reviewing outlets that will be picked up by Metacritic and crushing IGN's shitty review.

Then again, maybe its because its not OSCAARRRR WORTHHAAYYYYY!

Your game is sick bro!

svegis

Feep said:

Mister, if it makes you feel better to hear from me, someone with no video game journalistic credentials whatsoever, truly enjoy this game to no end. I disagree with the review, it seems to be very nitpicky to me and looks like if it's only there to disagree for the sake of it. Not to discredit the site itself, but he might not have given Sequence enough time to have a proper opinion, I think. Anyway, that's all I have to say about the review, the game itself; Personally, it's a spectacular hit and the constant updates/work you do on Steam forums to help people is nothing less than commendable. It's right up my alley. Well played, sir!

P.s Haven't beaten the game yet(grinding out items on floor 7 right now) but I will return to do at least a mini-review of the game.
D.s

Edit: By that review, I mean IGN's review of it. I should've probably made that more clear.

gblues

Banned
I have been playing more of this over the last week or so, and I'm on Floor the 7th. I feel like I'm prepared to give my final opinion of the game.

First, the concept. It's one part RPG, one part DDR. The RPG aspects are limited to your stats and equipment (meaning there is no exploration or questing involved), but those things aren't what the game is about so they aren't missed. The DDR aspect is executed brilliantly as well, requiring attention to not just one but up to 3 different sets of falling arrows.

There are so many ways that Sequence could fail, and it deftly avoids all of them:

The core gameplay mechanic could be executed poorly. Changing fields is immediate and easy to do. You really only have to pay attention to 1 pane, and the others don't matter unless you're either using a spell or trying to recover mana. The step recognition is solid and pretty forgiving. Also, the steps are randomized so you don't just end up memorizing an optimal pattern, but they still match the beats in the music. That by itself is a huge accomplishment.

The music could stink. Any rhythm game lives and dies by the quality of its music. The soundtrack is slick, catchy, and doesn't wear out its welcome with multiple plays. My only complaint is that I want to hear more tracks! But that's what DLC and sequel(s) are for, I guess.

The game could rely on the RNG too much. Unlike the recent-ish Wizardry game on the PS3, this isn't you vs. the RNG. The RNG does play a factor in synthing items, drops, and the battles, but ultimately your success is determined by your skills on the keyboard/guitar/dance mat.

Ultimately, the game is a success on every level. The gameplay is frantic, the music is excellent, the writing is awesome, and even the voice acting is far above what you'd expect from an indie title. At $4.99, it's an incredible deal.

Feep said:
Oh damn I guess I needed more moneyhatz for IGN

I like how the review cites D&B and there's not a single drum and bass track in there at all.
GG IGN. Feep, next time, I suggest 2 hookers to go with the cocaine for IGN moneyhatting.

Edit:
Oh wow. Bit-gamer review calling Rapid Fire the best song in the game in a non-sarcastic manner is crazy and awesome at the same time.
For people wondering, that track was originally made back in 2003 and was one of the first songs I made under the djplaeskool name. I used a pretty popular electro sample bank to put it all together, so parts may seem familiar to music from a couple other games from that period, namely Space Rangers 2.

Top Bottom