• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sequence |OT| Rhythm, Role-Playing, and Ronald Jenkees

gblues

Banned
djplaeskool said:
I like how the review cites D&B and there's not a single drum and bass track in there at all.
GG IGN. Feep, next time, I suggest 2 hookers to go with the cocaine for IGN moneyhatting.

Edit:
Oh wow. Bit-gamer review calling Rapid Fire the best song in the game in a non-sarcastic manner is crazy and awesome at the same time.
For people wondering, that track was originally made back in 2003 and was one of the first songs I made under the djplaeskool name. I used a pretty popular electro sample bank to put it all together, so parts may seem familiar to music from a couple other games from that period, namely Space Rangers 2.

I feel like the soundtrack overall is a pretty big throwback to the tracking scene of the mid-late 90's. Was that intentional?

gblues said:
I feel like the soundtrack overall is a pretty big throwback to the tracking scene of the mid-late 90's. Was that intentional?

Maybe not on my end. A lot of my music naturally hearkens back to those days as it's my favorite and most memorable era of music. It all had a huge impression on me, living in Europe with a military family through the mid and late 90s. From small-time local acts, the birth and rise in popularity of mainstream big beat and breakbeat, the burgeoning tide of hobbyist electronica artists on sites like the original mp3.com. Stuff like that. I guess I'm trying to hold onto archaic methods because, well, I love it.

gblues

Banned
Woot, beat the game! (haven't gotten the secret ending yet..)

Man. Just when you think you've seen everything the game has to offer...
Piano Jam. Variable tempo! Brilliant!

Oh, and the Iris achievement is ingenious.

Feep

Banned
gblues said:
Woot, beat the game! (haven't gotten the secret ending yet..)

Man. Just when you think you've seen everything the game has to offer...
Piano Jam. Variable tempo! Brilliant!

Oh, and the Iris achievement is ingenious.
Wait till you see the secret ending! = D

n8

Unconfirmed Member
Completed main game. I liked it well, which is odd because I'm not much of a fan of the directional rhythm genre nor a game with heavy RPG elements. You have done well.
The characters were interesting in their own regards, and the jokes were a good mix of smart and dumb.
There was times when I felt I was grinding away just to get that last item of the floor, but when ever I exited and came back I always had no problem getting even the items with the lowest odds. I never felt I was weak among the game.

All and all, great game! And thanks for sharing! I'll be sure to send over a donation shortly. =)

As for post game, I'm just having trouble with the
spell with Piano Jam, need 97% accuracy to pass. As it's a challenge on it's own regard for me, it seems that the music and the jems don't synchronize with each other at times, making it that much harder.

Feep

Banned
n8BitMan said:
As for post game, I'm just having trouble with the
spell with Piano Jam, need 97% accuracy to pass. As it's a challenge on it's own regard for me, it seems that the music and the
jems
don't synchronize with each other at times, making it that much harder.
That is truly outrageous

(It was *incredibly* difficult to sync that song...)

Glad you enjoyed it. = D

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So I got around to actually playing this game. It's pretty good.
If the arrows gave a colored icon and the grey spike of color that shoots up on a note lasted less I think it would help, just some nicer visual feedback maybe? Probably long past this.
The pulsing border is a nice touch and nothing feels grindy or excessive. I find myself enjoying the higher bpm songs better as I can get into the rhythm.
The spells also seem very thought out as the quick ones are expensive, cost effective ones take more time to cast, DoT spells have a harder long sequence, etc. Menus are light and quick, the story carries the game fine, voices are good. Pretty solid package.

Steam says I am 4.4 hours in. I'm on Floor 6, how am I doing and how much more do I have? I'd like to finish the second part in one sitting if possible.
Also what are Crystals for? I cleared Level 3,4, and 5 without the inhibitor since it wasn't really bothersome, but then I went back down and my free reign of 2-4 hitting lower stuff ended really quickly when those terrible people use their power.
YSpJF.jpg

Feep

Banned
You'll know what the crystals are for later...it's made pretty apparent.

Floors 6 and 7 are certainly longer than the rest of the game, but not by too much. Let's say another three hours.

First of all, thank you to feep for not only putting together this truly original game, but for gifting it to me free just for posting in a neogaf thread! Awesome move, as I'll definitely be keeping my eye on Iridium from here on out.

Beat the game and got the second ending. Still don't know how to get the 'Iris' achievement, though... someone give me a hint?

I thought the game was great, especially coming from an upstart indie developer. Thoroughly enjoyed it, as it sucked me in like few games can manage to do anymore. Hope you don't mind, but I thought I would give some thoughts/constructive criticism-

Loved the genre mashup experiment. I think you may be onto something here (rock band/guitar hero have long worn out their welcome...). While I thought the balance was pretty perfect in terms of leveling the character and drop percentages, one thing that bothered me was that the time limit on the songs felt like a much greater threat than losing all your hp did. I played on hard, and the only way I ever lost a fight was when time ran out. I wasn't overleveled from grinding for the items either (I usually make a point to never grind). Taking hits never really felt like a threat, I never had to use a healing spell, and the game seemed to favor offense pretty heavily, all of which I think combined to make it lose a certain part of the "rpg-quality".

Another small complaint- I couldn't really "feel" the difference between hitting the notes and missing them. I think there was a flash or something, but a more overt animation would've helped IMO.

The tempo change in the last song adds a cool twist, but it felt a little obnoxious the first time, when you didn't see it coming. An onscreen graphic that illustrates the tempo might make this feel more 'fair'. Ever play EarthBound? I was thinking maybe EB-style psychedelic backgrounds that move with the beat like a winamp visualization... just a thought.

More variety in the battle tracks would've been nice too, I love my man Ronald Jenkees but some got a little stale towards the end.

I realize that this might come off as a nitpicky rant, so let me just reiterate that I enjoyed this game very much and greatly respect you for literally pioneering a genre (that I think has serious potential) all by yourself. And most of all, thanks for giving it to me for free! Looking forward to your next project.

gblues

Banned
So... que significa
tnlug.exe
? (much) earlier in the thread you mentioned there was an ARG being planned around it, but did anything ever come of it?

Feep

Banned
There is some ARG content already implemented, but it's limited in scope. It involves the
Iris
achievement.

I'm surprised no one has ventured any guesses as to what
tnlug
stands for...

gabbo

Finally beat it, enjoyed the game thoroughly and then going back to whore some achievements. Not something I do often, but I think Feep's hint during the credits was the main reason for it.

My only complaint is that there just isn't enough music. I liked the music (Ronald Jenkees ftw), but it ground me down having to hear the same songs over and over.

gblues

Banned
Feep said:
There is some ARG content already implemented, but it's limited in scope. It involves the
Iris
achievement.

I'm surprised no one has ventured any guesses as to what
tnlug
stands for...
the next l___ u____ game? Live update? Linux user? Lego universe?

Just finished it! What an awesome AWESOME game!

Really great job there Feep!

BTW, what is the "thing" that is mentioned at the end of the credits?! I have every single item from the monsters!

svegis

RoaringHawk said:
BTW, what is the "thing" that is mentioned at the end of the credits?! I have every single item from the monsters!

If you crafted a certain item you can gain access to another floor, after the credits.

Shaneus

Wow/yikes! How many people had actively contributed to the game by that stage, Feep? Or is that just a POC screenie you knocked up?

Feep

Banned
Wow/yikes! How many people had actively contributed to the game by that stage, Feep? Or is that just a POC screenie you knocked up?
Just me and djplaeskool (for music) at that point. It was a working prototype, though.

Nearly all in-battle elements, even in the release version, were created by me...I just needed more time with which to make them. Exceptions are the background, character/monster portraits, and background runes on the spell ring. The rest I designed by hand.

i suck at this game but really like it. i am on the third floor and enjoying it so far.

thanks for the free game feep. im considering buying on xbla now because im more comfortable with a controller in my hands than a keyboard so maybe ill suck less. and also because you would get money from me, which is something you deserve for having created the game.

Shaneus

Just me and djplaeskool (for music) at that point. It was a working prototype, though.

Nearly all in-battle elements, even in the release version, were created by me...I just needed more time with which to make them. Exceptions are the background, character/monster portraits, and background runes on the spell ring. The rest I designed by hand.
Oh, I didn't mean to sound like I was paying out your earlier efforts at all, just that while you can see all core elements have been retained, most of the graphical ones needed a fair whack of refinement :) That large font used for the numerals gives me some horrid/beautiful flashbacks to early-90s shareware, though!

gblues

Banned
First of all, thank you to feep for not only putting together this truly original game, but for gifting it to me free just for posting in a neogaf thread! Awesome move, as I'll definitely be keeping my eye on Iridium from here on out.

Beat the game and got the second ending. Still don't know how to get the 'Iris' achievement, though... someone give me a hint?

I thought the game was great, especially coming from an upstart indie developer. Thoroughly enjoyed it, as it sucked me in like few games can manage to do anymore. Hope you don't mind, but I thought I would give some thoughts/constructive criticism-

Loved the genre mashup experiment. I think you may be onto something here (rock band/guitar hero have long worn out their welcome...). While I thought the balance was pretty perfect in terms of leveling the character and drop percentages, one thing that bothered me was that the time limit on the songs felt like a much greater threat than losing all your hp did. I played on hard, and the only way I ever lost a fight was when time ran out. I wasn't overleveled from grinding for the items either (I usually make a point to never grind). Taking hits never really felt like a threat, I never had to use a healing spell, and the game seemed to favor offense pretty heavily, all of which I think combined to make it lose a certain part of the "rpg-quality".

Another small complaint- I couldn't really "feel" the difference between hitting the notes and missing them. I think there was a flash or something, but a more overt animation would've helped IMO.

The tempo change in the last song adds a cool twist, but it felt a little obnoxious the first time, when you didn't see it coming. An onscreen graphic that illustrates the tempo might make this feel more 'fair'. Ever play EarthBound? I was thinking maybe EB-style psychedelic backgrounds that move with the beat like a winamp visualization... just a thought.

More variety in the battle tracks would've been nice too, I love my man Ronald Jenkees but some got a little stale towards the end.

I realize that this might come off as a nitpicky rant, so let me just reiterate that I enjoyed this game very much and greatly respect you for literally pioneering a genre (that I think has serious potential) all by yourself. And most of all, thanks for giving it to me for free! Looking forward to your next project.
I'll post some hints, from vague to specific.
If you're far enough in the game, you probably know the game's been hacked.

Notice anything in the 7th floor that looks, well, hacked?

Look at the dropped item descriptions.

Binary is kinda hard to work with. You might have better luck converting it to hexadecimal.

Cryptography and hacking don't usually mix. The message is probably in plain text.

By "plain text" I mean ASCII.

Hmm. Looks like part of a web address. Too bad there's nowhere in the game to put it in.

Who made this game, anyway?

Maybe the message is on their site.

Append the URL fragment you decoded to Iridium's website and follow the instructions.

Feep

Banned
Patch went live! Changelog:

- Fullscreen mode will now work correctly in your monitor's native resolution, even if lower than 1280x720 or in non-16:9 aspect ratios
- Game window can now be resized at will
- Minor increase in drop percentages all across the board (3-5%)
- Removed an incorrect line in Tutorial 1 stating a player had to use the WSAD and Arrow Keys at the same time to hit doubles
- Joy2Key / Third Party keymapping programs should now work correctly
- Fixed a bug where bringing up the Steam Overlay at a certain point while learning a spell would make it impossible to exit

svegis

Sequence is really, really good.

I'm usually not the biggest fan of rhythm games, but this one had me hooked. I was knee deep into the genre mashup. Very well crafted art and design. The soundtrack in this was a big plus for me, as I'm a huge fan of the artists involved.

Story was very well done, humorous to boot. I really enjoyed the dialogue and banter between characters. Plus, the voice acting was pretty good too. The support and updates to this game have been nothing but remarkable.

As others have said, I think, the last song was interesting, excellent choice. It did however make me slowly detest myself for not clearing it during the multiple times it took me to learn the spell. Thanks plenty goes to Feep for the forumwide gift, major props. The gesture and the excellent game will make me keep an eye on the studio.

Gotta say, I'm level 19 and just finished floor 6, having seriously zero issues with anything. Now, I'm on floor 7, and am simply unable to beat any of the battles before time runs out. Thinking I need to upgrade my spells as I haven't crafted anything new since perhaps the 3rd or maybe 4th floor. I don't know why the jerks on floor 7 have to have so much HP!

Feep

Banned
Yeah, you need to craft some new spells...those from the third or fourth floors can't do enough damage in time. = P

gblues

Banned
I've been stuck at 19/20 on the achievement list (haven't gotten the "learn all spells" one yet). I sign in today, and Steam says I'm at 19/21, but there's no new update listed and still only 20 achievements listed total. What's going on here?

So.

I don't like rythm games. I don't like song games. I don't like dance games. Blame it on my bad cordination, my Asperger's, whatever you want.

But I love the shit out of this game.

Feep has earned so much goodwill through his honesty, humor, willingness to talk to people, and of course, the FREE GAME HERE!!! thread of his.

I salute him.

Feep

Banned
I've been stuck at 19/20 on the achievement list (haven't gotten the "learn all spells" one yet). I sign in today, and Steam says I'm at 19/21, but there's no new update listed and still only 20 achievements listed total. What's going on here?
Secretz

You will know

Soon

Card Boy

Banned
'Jason' i finally clocked Sequence today after struggling alot with the drop rates on Floor 7.

Amazing game overall, the writing, music and belive it or not the VA is what kept me going. There where acouple negatives that kept it from being a 'perfect' indie game (mainly the drop rates)

I will support you in your future endeavors if you decide to make a Sequence 2 or whatever. Good stuff. I sort of got a 'The World Ends with You' tone from game even though they are completely diffrent games.

Just abit of feedback

+Music
+Writing
+Voice work

-Low drop rates (Biggest sadface :(, i felt it was hampering my progress and flow of the game )
-The wasting of experiance on synthesizing items
-Abit of repitition on some of the songs (meaning not all Monster fights had unique music)

Overall i'd give it a 4.25 out of 5 (gonna start using the 5 point system from now on)

Really loved what you did with there end credits there. Man Barbara has a sexy voice.

Feep

Banned
I actually did a global 3-5% droprate raise in the last patch. It was even worse before...but raising it any higher seemed to cause balance issues, especially on medium.

The song repetition was originally a constraint of the Xbox 360 build...150 MB hardcap. I suppose I could have opened it up for Steam, but I didn't like screwing over the 360 people like that, plus it would have been a surprising amount of work...

But thanks for the feedback. And I'm really glad you enjoyed it. = D The World Ends With You was actually a significant influence.

And man, Barbara has a sexy everything.

I'm near the end of this fantastic indie game (one last battle and one last spell to learn), and in all honesty this is one of my favorite Indie game for this year. And usually I don't appreciate rhythm-based games, because I suck at them.

Brilliant in many aspects (gameplay, humor, music, writing, smart choices concerning the design, art, voice acting).

It lacks a bit in content variety (musics, monsters), but the length is well balanced and the gameplay it is just fun. moreover it is excusable since it is an independent and low budget game. It never gets boring.

Feep, you and the people you chose for creating this game, really have talent. That is why, having received the game for free, I decided to donate something for the sake of your future project.

I know you want to develop another game rather than port this to mac, but It could be an opportunity get again in the "new releases" list of steam and perhaps even in the future humble bundle ! Just saying ;P

Bottom line: I recommend it to all.

'Jason' i finally clocked Sequence today after struggling alot with the drop rates on Floor 7.

Amazing game overall, the writing, music and belive it or not the VA is what kept me going. There where acouple negatives that kept it from being a 'perfect' indie game (mainly the drop rates)

I will support you in your future endeavors if you decide to make a Sequence 2 or whatever. Good stuff. I sort of got a 'The World Ends with You' tone from game even though they are completely diffrent games.

Just abit of feedback

+Music
+Writing
+Voice work

-Low drop rates (Biggest sadface :(, i felt it was hampering my progress and flow of the game )
-The wasting of experiance on synthesizing items
-Abit of repitition on some of the songs (meaning not all Monster fights had unique music)

Overall i'd give it a 4.25 out of 5 (gonna start using the 5 point system from now on)

Really loved what you did with there end credits there. Man Barbara has a sexy voice.

concerning the drops there are items (2 accessories) that enhance your probability of getting the drop, although they make the battle really tough ... a fair trade off . Honestly I didn't need to use them, I was quite lucky with the drops ;P
But yeah perhaps there is a bit too much farming overall.

The experience thing for crafting .... I didn't mind it too much. It is quite easy to harvest experience anyway (desything experience gems, objects no longer useful, killing monsters). It is there to make you spend more time on each floor basically.

The repetition of the songs is there, but I've noticed that it helps a lot in balancing the difficulty, especially for those who are rhythmically-challenged like me :D It makes the difficulty curve more smooth (at medium at least )

And man, Barbara has a sexy everything.

Hot, sexy voice, and talent for acting (very good VA) : woow !

Zzoram

During the tutorial for spellset, it's really easy to get stuck on the screen. You should put a reminder prompt of how to assign spells to number slots that appears 1 minute into the tutorial because otherwise they might get stuck for several minutes without a clue like I did. You can't even exit the screen at that point so you're just completely stuck.

Feep

Banned
During the tutorial for spellset, it's really easy to get stuck on the screen. You should put a reminder prompt of how to assign spells to number slots that appears 1 minute into the tutorial because otherwise they might get stuck for several minutes without a clue like I did. You can't even exit the screen at that point so you're just completely stuck.
You can hit start or Esc to skip/exit the tutorial.

Feep

Banned
I could've swore I did that and it didn't work.

I was playing in windowed mode though.
Hmm. Should have worked anyway...I'll double-check...

Edit: Huh. How about that. Works on the gamepad and not the keyboard. Fixed for next patch, whenever that is = D

masterkajo

To be honest, I haven't played Sequence up until today... but Feep, that is one awesome game. One of the most innovative, challanging and fun battle system I have ever seen. Also dig the story and the dialog. It happend more than once that Ky said exactly what I was thinking :)
Keep up the good work. You can count on my support and donation!

Top Bottom