• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sequence |OT| Rhythm, Role-Playing, and Ronald Jenkees

Thanks Feep for handing out free copies of your game. I only played it briefly thus far but I think it's a very unique experience. The VA of Naia is pretty cool as others have mentioned. Some jokes are a bit hit and miss but overall I enjoyed the scripting more than I thought I would.

Two things that struck me as odd though. While I'm personally not a big fan of the art it's certainly well crafted, which does not apply to the arrows though. They look somewhat out of place. Oh and that "bzzt" sound (when casting), which was probably done by someone buzzing into the mic, is really distracting, especially when the music is pretty cool.

Looking forward to playing more of it and congratulations.

Feep

Banned
Thanks Feep for handing out free copies of your game. I only played it briefly thus far but I think it's a very unique experience. The VA of Naia is pretty cool as others have mentioned. Some jokes are a bit hit and miss but overall I enjoyed the scripting more than I thought I would.

Two things that struck me as odd though. While I'm personally not a big fan of the art it's certainly well crafted, which does not apply to the arrows though. They look somewhat out of place. Oh and that "bzzt" sound (when casting), which was probably done by someone buzzing into the mic, is really distracting, especially when the music is pretty cool.

Looking forward to playing more of it and congratulations.
All my sound effects were obtained from soundsnap.com, but now that I listen to it, yeah, that might be a pitch-modulated dude with a microphone. I *did* record the "monster roar" when the tentacle thing appears, though. = D

Feep, are you planning on possibly jumping into the bundle craze?
It's kind of a Catch-22: the HIB requires a game to be Mac/Linux compatible, but I don't think it's worth it to port unless we get in a bundle. There may exist an easy porting solution, which I have yet to take a look at...(MonoGame 2.0, for any XNA devs out there)

All my sound effects were obtained from soundsnap.com, but now that I listen to it, yeah, that might be a pitch-modulated dude with a microphone. I *did* record the "monster roar" when the tentacle thing appears, though. = D
Hehe OK. It's the only sound that had a strange vibe so far. Monster roar is fine :).

Feep

Banned
Hey, everyone! Today, Sequence is 75% off. Obviously, it's 100% off for you, but if you ever wanted to pick up some easy gifts for friends...<3

Also, nab that holiday achievement! Super easy.

Shaneus

Read about your good fortune in the Steam thread. Congratulations! Can I ask what numbers of sales you're seeing? Thousands? More?

FWIW, I'll be getting a gift for my brother today :)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Oh shit, Feep got Steam Front paged.

Time to make 50-150% what you've made on Steam up to now in 1 day.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
This is pretty nuts.
If you make a post about how it changed your life / income / ROI it would be welcome.
IIRC Recettear matched its profit during the sales for one day as compared to launch - date it went on sale.
But I love my 2001 Hyundai Tiburon = (
It looks exactly like something you would drive and I don't even know you.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
As a result of completing both Christmas achievements in Rise of Immortals earlier, I now really want to play Dota 2.

Edit: Wait, this isn't the Steam thread. I need a map of the internet. :(

Firestorm

So my game never boots up. I finally got it past the .NET installation but now it's trying to install xnaf something or another and just doesn't boot anything up ._.

Edit: realized this probably meant XNA when I typed that out and went to uninstall my XNA 4.0 Redistributable file. It's working now.

Feep

Banned
So my game never boots up. I finally got it past the .NET installation but now it's trying to install xnaf something or another and just doesn't boot anything up ._.
Is the window still there? It does take awhile, especially on slower machines.

If it still screws up, you should try manually installing them using the executables found at steam/steamapps/common/Sequence, then reboot to finish it off.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I bought the game on XBLA, donated, and gifted the game today to at least 5 friends.

I now owe you nothing, Feep. NOTHING.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Reddit sure loves posting screencaps of your game.
That probably helped a bit.

I'm calling 250-400% profit based on before sales to however many days the sale went on.
Spill it

Feep

Banned
Reddit sure loves posting screencaps of your game.
That probably helped a bit.

I'm calling 250-400% profit based on before sales to however many days the sale went on.
Spill it
Are you asking how much money I made during the Christmas sale relative to the combined Steam totals for everything before the Christmas sale?

Feep

Banned
The Xmas sale alone (since the 19th) is at 84% of all previous sales' profit, but it's not over yet... = D

Shaneus

The Xmas sale alone (since the 19th) is at 84% of all previous sales' profit, but it's not over yet... = D
Not wanting to pry, but would you say that prior to the Steam sale, you'd made your money back on any production costs, wages etc.? I'm not worried about figures, but just want to know if you were cutting it fine on whether your game was profitable or not before this week (especially given the free code thread).

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Man, I am not sure I like the time limit at all. I would rather have more difficult patterns on attack and such than having the difficulty increased by a time limit. Every time I lose because of time I get discouraged and quit out. When I simply lose because I screwed up on patterns or spell choice, I immediately try again. Bleh.

Feep

Banned
Feep how long does the development of a game like Sequence take ? a rough estimate of course.
Took me around three years, but it was completely part time. Could have done it in 18-24 months if I'd been full steam.

Man, I am not sure I like the time limit at all. I would rather have more difficult patterns on attack and such than having the difficulty increased by a time limit. Every time I lose because of time I get discouraged and quit out. When I simply lose because I screwed up on patterns or spell choice, I immediately try again. Bleh.
Having no time limit pretty much destroys the game balance...you could chill out in the defensive field almost the entire time and just edge out when there were gaps in the notes. It was long and boring...trust me, I prototyped a LOT of variations of the game.

Took me around three years, but it was completely part time. Could have done it in 18-24 months if I'd been full steam.

Having no time limit pretty much destroys the game balance...you could chill out in the defensive field almost the entire time and just edge out when there were gaps in the notes. It was long and boring...trust me, I prototyped a LOT of variations of the game.

wow 3 years ... I would have never had the commitment to work on a project for 3 years without the possibility to know before the end if what I was doing was any good or had any chance of success.

Anyhow, don't make us wait too long for your next game ;)

Feep

Banned
wow 3 years ... I would have never had the commitment to work on a project for 3 years without the possibility to know before the end if what I was doing was any good or had any chance of success.

Anyhow, don't make us wait too long for your next game ;)
I find that a lot of people have the talent (or at least, the potential for talent) and the ability to create something cool...a book, a video game, a film.

But very few finish. For me, it was like, "There is no WAY I'm letting those 1,000 hours of my life go to waste by not finishing. Fuck that."

Wthermans

Banned
Was just reading the Steam forums for Sequence and it thrills me to see so many positive impressions from people after playing the game for the Great Gift Pile. It's awesome that you've had such success with the game and you are representing the studio well with the feedback you are providing both on GAF and the Steam forums. Can't wait to see your next game Feep!

First, I want to say that I love this game. I've played a little over 10 hours and am just finishing up Floor the Seventh on medium difficulty. I'm not great at the rhythm part, but I like it. I didn't start playing until last week, so I know I missed some early bugs, but at this point, I'd just like to say the game on Steam has been incredibly smooth. I don't' think I've experienced a glitch or crash yet, and the only problems I've had are small hitches a handful of times which are probably due to my system checking something and using too much memory. Overall, the polish (not Polish) really shows.

Anyway, I have a request. You mentioned about doing a making of kind of post or blog post. Could you include some technical details in there? The game was originally made in XNA I think? Were there any extra libraries you used? How was the technical process porting to Steam? Basically any details a programmer might be interested in throughout the process. Thanks, and I'm looking forward to the next project.

Edit: finished the game! I tried to fight
Aaron with the Tarot Cards equipped and thought he was going to be impossible before I unequipped them.
I'll be trying to do some of the post-game stuff and achievements. Edit 2: Beat the optional boss!

I just finished it!. First of all thanks to Feep again for giving me the chance to play this fun game. I want to write a review (in my language) and post it in some forums I usually participate and maybe a gamer blog too if they let me.

I think that the game is really good. The concept is really nice and original, and the learning curve is it's strong point, I think. I liked the art and the music isnt really my favourite type but I still loved some tunes and parts. I think it would be nice for the next game (if it's musical, of course) to have some different bands and more variety of DJ's

Just watched the
hidden ending, But I still don't know what the Iris achievement is about (she who controls fate?) I have missed something. BTW, the ending credits were nice!

Feep

Banned
I just finished it!. First of all thanks to Feep again for giving me the chance to play this fun game. I want to write a review (in my language) and post it in some forums I usually participate and maybe a gamer blog too if they let me.

I think that the game is really good. The concept is really nice and original, and the learning curve is it's strong point, I think. I liked the art and the music isnt really my favourite type but I still loved some tunes and parts. I think it would be nice for the next game (if it's musical, of course) to have some different bands and more variety of DJ's

Just watched the
hidden ending, But I still don't know what the Iris achievement is about (she who controls fate?) I have missed something. BTW, the ending credits were nice!
You're very welcome, sir.

As for the Iris achievement...

gblues

Banned

Just watched the

My post earlier describes how to approach the Iris achievement. I tried to make it progress from vague hints to specific instructions, like those old Sierra hint books that used the special pen.

Is this news story old? Just found it on the Metro today and noticed the name of the game :O

Screenshot2012-01-17at092513.png

Top Bottom