• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seriously? FUCK Cross-Gen games!

There's nothing much that the Xbox One and PS4 do over the previous systems other than provide marginally better graphics.

I applaud everyone that refuses to upgrade and I hope Xbox 360 and PS3 are supported for years to come.

i couldn't give 2 shits about next gen

and i really would like to, i really would like to be a giddy kid who can't wait to get his hands on a Xbox 1 or PS4 (right now Wii U is the most appealing to me but not enough to justify the asking price)

but there aren't any games, not a single one, that makes me go 'yeah, i have to go next gen'

incidentally, there isn't any on Xbox 360 or PS3 right now (though Persona 5 might tempt me and i'm considering buying Wolfenstein TNO or Shadow Of Mordor when they might get at the right price point)

i'm going to take it 1 step further : lately i've been buying up on PS2 and Wii games that i've missed out on when they were full price or i didn't know about them for fractions of their price and i'm having a blast

more OT : i would REALLY like for the next gen consoles to receive all the AAA releases and for the Xbox360 and PS3 receive cheaper mid-budget titles that interest me (shit like Michigan Report From Hell) that would be released on a 25€-30€ price level

entremet

The fact that the generational transition hasn't been as smooth is due to:

-Economic crisis and depressed wages being outpaced by inflation.
-Volatility in the AAA space. Publishers want to eek more money and the higher the install base the better.
-Less games are being released in the AAA arena, so like above, there's a need to make as much money as possible.
-Indies. Most aren't as taxing on hardware are released on multiple platforms.

Kart94

Banned
If you can't afford $400 every 8 years then you probably shouldn't be wasting time playing video games.

Mark-Wahlberg-Confused-In-The-Happening.gif

Mohonky

I agree with him. It holds back new games in many ways, makes new platforms less desirable, and the last gen versions sell like dog shit. It's not helping the industry or me at this point.

Theres a couple of problems with the OP though.

I'll just tackle the 'last gen is holding this gen back' arguments; if you want to argue that, you cant argue with PC gamers getting pissed that their hardware is being under utilised because they are being held back technologically by console manufacturers going cheap, particularly this generation. My OK Pc (i7 4770k, 16gb ram, gtx670) is currently smashing through games at higher resolutions, with more effects and a higher frame rate than these next gen consoles. Guys with newer cards are supersampling the shit out of their games because they have so much spare power going on. The only games that are trouble guys with newer video cards are really poorly optimised ones. Their games could be running far more complex games right now but they are being held back by console development assets.

So if you have a beef for current gen holding back next gen, PC gamers surely have a point to frown upon console gamers holding them up.

Secondly, the idea that just because you work fulltime, you can afford a next gen console so suck it up and buy one. People with mortgages, families etc contrary to OP's belief dont have money sprouting from their ass to throw about willy nilly. I dont care if OP managed to save via benefits, if he can budget around that, thats fine by me, but assuming full time job = money to burn? Not quite.

Thirdly, like i said, gaming is not a high priority to everyone, or should I point out, having the platform for the best visuals to play games on is not the be all and end all for everyone. They just like playing the games and are happy to play them on whatever they have. If they are, good for them. They will upgrade when and if they feel compelled to, they dont need to be pushed into it or looked down upon for it, in the same way we dont need PC elitists shitting up threads moaning about consoles watering down their multiplatforms. The market is what it is. People can enjoy games on whatever platform they want. We will obviously hit a point where previous gen is no longer a viable option for games and those that want to play the latest will upgrade if they want to, but they shouldnt be getting pushed into it because 'I am tired of my games not good looking enough and I blame these fucking casuals and their being content with what they have' mentality.

This thread is just 'I bought what i believe is the latest and greatest and I demand developers tailor the experience around me.'

Just no. You are getting enhancements to your games, whether visually or otherwise even with multigen releases. Excluding others for the sake of the few who are early adopters is selfish. You knew the score when you bought a new console, and the time when multigen ceases will come, no point getting your panties in a twist that its not happening fast enough for you

Meia

The only thing that really worries me about this whole thing is wondering when, or even if, this whole "cross-gen" thing is going to end. I mean, we've had cases where games come out for the previous console when the next one is out, so that's not a new idea, but are we really going to be see this cross-gen thing well into a third year of a new console's life? How is that in any way healthy for these new consoles? @_@

How is that in any way healthy for these new consoles? @_@

The moral of the story is:
- if you're an early adopter and are happy with your purchase, then you don't need market validation to justify that you're happy with your purchase (see: WiiU and Vita owners)
- if you're an early adopter and you're unhappy with your purchase because you bought something expensive for no real reason other than expectation of the future, then don't do that again in future

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Also, there's no way in a million years that I could ever have afforded a £350 console while on benefits. I was literally weighing up what I needed to buy to eat at that time. A £35 game was a decadent luxury.

Yup. I was unlucky enough to be made redundant in the middle of the recession. The job market in Glasgow for people in their early twenties was really tough back then, so I had to apply for benefits for a while. I managed to buy the odd secondhand or bargain bin game, but that was it. It was a struggle to put food on my table, let alone make unnecessary entertainment purchases.

I am aware how mind numbing being on benefits can be, so I agree that it is important for someone on benefits to be able to treat themselves to something nice once in a while, but a brand new console? Perhaps someone needs to have their claim reassessed.

There's nothing much that the Xbox One and PS4 do over the previous systems other than provide marginally better graphics.

I applaud everyone that refuses to upgrade and I hope Xbox 360 and PS3 are supported for years to come.
Marginally better graphics? You don't understand the benefits the better hardware will afford game design, scope, and in-game content? It's not a matter of "herp, I'll just stay at 730p."

The idea of the systems being supported for years is terrible for the industry.

The only thing that really worries me about this whole thing is wondering when, or even if, this whole "cross-gen" thing is going to end. I mean, we've had cases where games come out for the previous console when the next one is out, so that's not a new idea, but are we really going to be see this cross-gen thing well into a third year of a new console's life? How is that in any way healthy for these new consoles? @_@

The thing is 3rd party developers want as much sales, so if they can easily port the game to a last gen console and make extra profit then it's understandable. They're not going to turn down potential profit to promote the current gen, that's the job of Sony/MS.

autoduelist

I realize that not everyone can afford a new console. But that argument QUICKLY loses all it's momentum when you realize that people who're in employment are on a lot more money that I am, and it only took me a month of saving a little out of three benefit payments (after paying rent, bills and food etc) in order for me to walk down to my local TESCOS and pick up a PS4 for £350, and a copy of Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes.

Some people have families to support. It is not 'QUICK' or easy to come up with $400 in disposable income for many families.

Loxley

Well, we're starting to see publishers move away from the previous gen. Most of next year's biggest games (Witcher 3, Arkham Knight, Bloodborne, The Order, Battleborn, Dead Island 2, Evolve, The Division, Halo 5, Homefront 2, etc) aren't cross-gen.

Sure, there are a number of cross-gen games still coming down the pipe - but you could argue the majority of the heavy-hitters are exclusive to the current-gen consoles (the glaring exceptions being MGS5 and Mortal Kombat X).

Some people have families to support. It is not 'QUICK' or easy to come up with $400 in disposable income for many families.

That's fine, and a perfectly valid excuse. They don't have to buy the new consoles during launch. But when Microsoft and Sony spend millions in advertising and hype, touting amazing next gen hardware, people who can afford them buy into that. Excitedly so. Then we spend the majority of the first year playing cross-gen games which are clearly being held back by the older systems.

Ubisoft is doing it right with Assassins Creed. Although admittedly they're one of the few with the resources to do so.

Meia

Well, we're starting to see publishers move away from the previous gen. Most of next year's biggest games (Witcher 3, Arkham Knight, Bloodborne, The Order, Battleborn, Dead Island 2, Evolve, The Division, Halo 5, Homefront 2, etc) aren't cross-gen.

Sure, there are a number of cross-gen games still coming down the pipe - but you could argue the majority of the heavy-hitters are exclusive to the current-gen consoles (the glaring exceptions being MGS5 and Mortal Kombat X).

Ok, so really, that many games in different genres next year show my fears are unfounded. So is the complaint solely that we're not there yet? Cause, I remember previous new systems having very poor opening year(s) in terms of games...

Kssio_Aug

I dont think thats a big deal. Let people naturally move on to the next console and the cross gen games will naturally stop being released. Thats already happening to be honest.

Contra11

Banned
Only one thing i like about Cross-Gen games .. it will have the best IQ and performance on the the current Gen consoles .. when developers start to make current gen only games i expect to see 25ish FPS games with very poor AA choices

Jobbs

Banned
If you can't afford $400 every 8 years then you probably shouldn't be wasting time playing video games.

I'm with ya, OP. Lets move this shit forward.

tasteful post.

everyone on neogaf - if you don't have $400 disposable income in the pocket right now? get the FUCK out and get a job.

ShinMaruku

Cross Gen will dry up soon. You see that software sales are down month to month right, there will be a point where the margins on newer consoles are high enough that the publishers will stop trying to have their cake and eat it.

And let's be honest I'd be with some people saying they are holding the newer consoles back but the publisher and devs who are doing cross gen wouldn't push the games the way you want anyway, That is up to the insane guys who are already doing it. (Kojima,Square,Naughty Dog those devs)

lol at this thread, you're an early adopter, that's all there is to it.

My only hobby is gaming and I don't even care about the PS4/Xbone yet, it's not about money as I can afford one easily.

Zia

I needed a good laugh, thank you.

Bro, it's on you if you can't see how developers have leveraged the power of the Cloud and Mark Cerny's genius to bring you new horizons of game design, scope and in-game content in the form of Forzas 5 and 7, Infamous 3, Killzone 6, Ryse and Knack.

Also, at this point, cross-gen games aren't really leveraging any oppression over current gen versions. Shadow of Mordor would be the same even if there were no (separately made) PS3 and 360 version and it didn't stop that game form using the increased processing power for something that did actually change gameplay design.

vareon

That's fine, and a perfectly valid excuse. They don't have to buy the new consoles during launch. But when Microsoft and Sony spend millions in advertising and hype, touting amazing next gen hardware, people who can afford them buy into that. Excitedly so. Then we spend the majority of the first year playing cross-gen games which are clearly being held back by the older systems.

Ubisoft is doing it right with Assassins Creed. Although admittedly they're one of the few with the resources to do so.

That's the problem with the industry, apparently. Right now it's not the majority of the market that needs a new hardware, it's the manufacturers. Apparently many people are content with what they have and spend their money somewhere else.

With the previous gen, we take for granted that in each transition developers will make games for the shiny new hardware and so people will follow. In reality developers and publishers will only have both feet on new generation if there are any value in them, and right now the value just isn't there yet. (Also see: Media Create threads)

I own 2 of the current gen systems and I've planned to keep buying cross gen game titles just so people like the OP keep getting mad =D

Marginally better graphics? You don't understand the benefits the better hardware will afford game design, scope, and in-game content? It's not a matter of "herp, I'll just stay at 730p."

The idea of the systems being supported for years is terrible for the industry.

I needed a good laugh, thank you.

The nemesis system in the ps4/xbox one/pc versions of shadow of mordor being substantially cut down for the 360/ps3 versions alone proves you have no idea what you are talking about.
And thats not even counting features like PlayGo for lightning fast installs on ps4, shareplay and remote play and built-in streaming and gameplay recording.

roknin

I like how this topic is a bunch of people telling others how they should spend their money, because they were in a rush to spend their own.

You're an early adopter. Sorry, but thems the breaks.

Mascot

OP, if it bothers you so much why not buy PS4s for all your friends? It should only take a couple of months using your mathematics.

Biker19

Banned
I think this reason alone is why Microsoft & Sony shouldn't bother putting out the next Xbox & PS5 until like, 2022.

I'm glad my taxes helped pay for your console op. To give you a little perspective, I couldn't afford to buy a next gen console with my full time wages. I buy one game every few months and rent the rest of them using a subscription service.

7threst

I'm happy cross gen exists. People not being able to pick up a next gen console (yeah, they exist OP ) can still enjoy new games coming out on their last gen systems.

XB1 seems real bad for this. Its entire line up this year not counting Sunset overdrive is cross gen.

At least the PS4 has more next gen stuff. Mostly because sony dropped the PS3 like a rock once the PS4 was available for pre order.

Maybe the XB1's weaker power makes cross gen easier for them. Or maybe its just harder for Sony because the PS3 is a bitch to work with and not worth the extra time now sales for it are tanking. Who knows.

OP is one of the reason benefits claimants get so much shit. I admit I bought a Wii while I was on JSA. I stretched for it and couldn't afford Zelda right away but I sure didn't go around bragging about it and berating others.

Kssio_Aug

XB1 seems real bad for this. Its entire line up this year not counting Sunset overdrive is cross gen.

At least the PS4 has more next gen stuff. Mostly because sony dropped the PS3 like a rock once the PS4 was available for pre order.

Maybe the XB1's weaker power makes cross gen easier for them. Or maybe its just harder for Sony because the PS3 is a bitch to work with and not worth the extra time now sales for it are tanking. Who knows.

BS... Forza Horizon 2 is not a cross-gen title at the same way other titles may be! Forza Horizon 2 for XB1 is a legit current-gen title, and the X360 version is in a whole different league, and was done just to support the last gen platform. And thats a very well known fact by now! Forza Horizon 2 on XB1 is one of the most impressive games released till this date.

Also Halo Collection is a remaster just like The Last of Us (except that a much bigger deal). And also ignoring that the bold text is not true at all.

Linkark07

Banned
Honestly, money isn't the main problem. Right now PS3/360 have a better library than PS4/Xbone.

In my case, my backlog of PS3 games is big. I really don't see no reason to buy a PS4, especially considering it lacks BC.

Nzyme32

I'm with ya, OP. Lets move this shit forward.

All those people that bought the machine in 2007 / 2008 / 2009 / 2010 / 2011 / 2012 / 2013, would buy their glorious new console in 2015 / 2016 / 2017 / 2018 / 2019 / 2020 / 2021

Maybe.... just maybe, this is why cross-gen works out for folks. Legit Shook

BigDug13

I think the real problem with cross gen games wasn't really covered by the OP, and that is limitations in game design due to being forced to make games playable in 512MB RAM and old ass CPU's.

Holding back the possibilities in game development is the biggest problem. Things like the Nemesis system which is next gen only. That developer at least decided to do something not possible on PS360. Most developers instead opt to simply remove any features that exceed the capabilities of PS360.

Gaming isnt as high a priority for so e people and they are fine with being able to just play a game without worrying whether its the best looking version.

Control your elitism.

Also it might be backlogs + ppl would probably prefer to upgrade their PC than buy underpowered hardware compared to expectations tbh.

Top Bottom