• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seriously WTF!? ....The PS4 Pro is embarrassingly loud :(

Mine is also loud. Here's mine playing COD MW remaster

https://vid.me/aN2S

You're playing with us right? :p

hey next time you are playing bf1 please could you just sit in the spawn screen (map showing) for five mins (just selecting capture points so you dont get kicked) and tell me if your fans ramp up.

dont want to know if its loud just want to know if the fan ramps up as mine jumps up over 5 times!! my room temp is 19-20c. if you can just mention your temp too please

Yeah sure. I'll do that when I'm on Battlefield 1 next. Sometime tomorrow hopefully.

Curufinwe

It's difficult for me to believe this when there were so many NeoGAF posters claiming the original PS4 was "whisper quiet" also. I think some of y'all have a very different definition of what "whisper quiet" really means. To me it means you can't fucking hear a thing—ever.

You don't know what a whisper is.

Ferr986

Funny how my Pro is the loudest (loudest = not nearly as much as my OG PS4) when I'm on the dashboard with a game running on background. OG wasn't like this.

Vindicator

Infamous: First Light photomode is crazy loud on mine, the fan just wouldn't stop ramping up.

Regular gameplay is fine though.

FarmerGiles

This is crazy, in all the 'proof' videos so far you've got to crank the volume real high and REEEAALLLY strain to hear anything. As someone coming from PC gaming how you guys are letting the sound bother you is beyond me. Perhaps try not to find fault in every little thing and actually listen to the game you're playing instead of turning the volume all the way down and complaining about the noise of your console keeping itself cool. Now, I'm not ruling out faulty boxes that are perhaps broken, but the proof provided so far provides anything but.

I actually have my pro on now, perhaps 3ft away from me, playing the FFXV demo and I wouldn't even be able to tell it's on if I wasn't listening for it.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Uncharted 4 and ratchet and clank were fine noise wise for me (actually close to being quiet) but titanfall 2 made my pro sound like it was taking off into the air. Unmatched games are silent every time.

Yeah, this. I haven't really played other games a lot yet on the pro, but when playing Titanfall 2 online it's loud.

cripterion

Funny thing is I bought the PS4 stand and it does produce less noise while being vertical, just don't understand anymore.

Iorv3th

Nah, i always put them in a fairly open space.

Still, this morning before unplugging it, i sat it on top of a shelf, completely open, loaded up the Infinite Warfare campaign, and still got the bad pitch results :/

Ugh, this shit makes me so jealous

Do you think you just might be really annoyed by certain noises and notice them more than other people? People saying it's whisper quiet might be the same but they just aren't as 'attuned' to that noise bothering them. You might be very sensitive to it though.

I know there is something with people chewing with their mouths open, some people really get super annoyed by it and hear it more than others.

Do you think you just might be really annoyed by certain noises and notice them more than other people? People saying it's whisper quiet might be the same but they just aren't as 'attuned' to that noise bothering them. You might be very sensitive to it though.

I know there is something with people chewing with their mouths open, some people really get super annoyed by it and hear it more than others.

Oh, I have no doubt i'm probably too picky about something most won't give a shit about... can't help it tho :/

I just drilled a hole in the wall behind my entertainment center and put a table in the room behind it. I put my PS4 (now Pro) and PC in there and just run the HDMI cables through the wall to my receiver. Now when I play PS4 games I hear nothing because all the noise is in a different room with the door closed.

I know I am. I tried 3 plasma TVs back when everyone said they were the best and had to return them because I couldn't stand the buzzing noise. Stuff like that really bugs me.

55db is whisper quiet now?

Alright. Let's do this right. I just did this with my Pro and I want others to try it out.

Download this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=kr.sira.sound

First, place your phone 3 inches away from the console record. Don't fiddle with it once the app is running.

Then, run the app and record the sound in the quiet room with the PS4 turned off. Measure the value. It should be 30db.

Next, record the sound when you fire up the PS4. Play a little. Measure the value. It should be 30-35db.

Next, go to a game and record the sound of the disc drive firing up. Measure the value. It should be 45db.

Next, play a 4K intensive scene, and wait for your console to fire up. Record the reading. Your console will vary from 35-45db.

Please let me know if the results are the same for everyone else.

oAfYmWOl.jpg

Don't forget to save the image to show your results.

freefornow

Alright. Let's do this right. I just did this with my Pro and I want others to try it out.

First, place your phone 3 inches away from the console record. Don't fiddle with it once the app is running.

Then, run the app and record the sound in the quiet room with the PS4 turned off. Measure the value. It should be 30db.

Next, record the sound when you fire up the PS4. Play a little. Measure the value. It should be 30-35db.

Next, go to a game and record the sound of the disc drive firing up. Measure the value. It should be 45db.

Next, play a 4K intensive scene, and wait for your console to fire up. Record the reading. Your console will vary from 35-45db.

oAfYmWOl.jpg

The problem with these type of phone apps is that the db reading will vary (especially at 3 inches) depending upon where you place the meter. If you hold it near the exhaust vent it will show a higher reading than if you hold the phone 3 inches from the side of the console that has no vents.
And its a phone app. Different phones have different microphones and sensitivities I would have thought?

TalonJH

Is that at point blank range though? At 3-6 ft a whisper is right at 30db.

oAfYmWOl.jpg

Edit: I'm interested, what does the app read at the 3 ft distance that it says for a whisper. I would try but the wife is currently watching hulu on the main TV.

This is crazy, in all the 'proof' videos so far you've got to crank the volume real high and REEEAALLLY strain to hear anything. As someone coming from PC gaming how you guys are letting the sound bother you is beyond me. Perhaps try not to find fault in every little thing and actually listen to the game you're playing instead of turning the volume all the way down and complaining about the noise of your console keeping itself cool. Now, I'm not ruling out faulty boxes that are perhaps broken, but the proof provided so far provides anything but.

I actually have my pro on now, perhaps 3ft away from me, playing the FFXV demo and I wouldn't even be able to tell it's on if I wasn't listening for it.

giphy.gif

CADman304

Neo Member
Mine is quiet, and I play it late at night when the kids are sleeping so I don't have the volume up very loud. Of course, I never found my OG the be very loud either, so I must be lucky (or deaf lol). I sit maybe 10 ft from the unit.

JayBabay

The only time mine makes noise is when the disc is spinning up, but besides that it's pretty minimal and quiet fan sound and it's legit like 1.5 feet away from me.

Rocket League on Launch PS4 was jet engine loud for me and it still is because I keep mine.
On Pro it is dead silent.

only time Pro got noticeably loud was during main/pause menu in Infinite/Modern Warfare, but once you go into gameplay it goes quiet again.

My PS4 Pro has a coil whine noise to it whenever I export a video through SHAREfactory, or play a Pro game with 60FPS. It's not as bad as my OG PS4, but it's noticeable.

Mine is definitely about as loud as the OG PS4. However another annoyance is that I'm hearing what sounds like a humming that is separate from the fan noise. I'm taking it back and hoping I get a better one.

Mine doesn't make any noise apart from the disc spinning initially. My brother plays Battlefield for hours and it's silent with patched and unpatched games.

This figure comes from Digital Foundry. Their video about Pro noise levels didn't show them measuring it, but here's them measuring the C-chassis revision of the original. I trust DF uses the same methodology across tests.

measures0yhb.png

(The figure is below 55 dB because this is the idle measurement.)

At regular distance, this SPL will fall below the level of a whisper closer than 6 feet away. You can check these results using this online calculator.
calcngjt2.png

Note that my numbers are generous, since DF is measuring from closer than 5cm, and most people sit further than 2m from the rear of their PS4 Pro. Yet the calculation still falls well under the typical 30 dB reference.

So yes, this number indicates "whisper quiet".

Verendus

Banned
My PS4 Pro talks. I'm pretty sure it does, because one time I kneeled really close to it, and placed my ear on it's sleek and sexy back. And I heard it say:

Fuck Jay Z.

tommyguns

My Pro is generally pretty quiet. However, tonight while playing titanfall 2 multiplayer, it definitely became the loudest it's ever been.

After that, played some uncharted 4 single player. The console wasn't as loud as titanfall made it but still not the normal quiet

Mine is noisy when I turn it on and when I start a game off a disc. After 10-20 seconds it quiets down. It's quieter than my OG PS4 for sure.

oAfYmWOl.jpg

I tried it. Battlefield 1, multiplayer, conquest 64 players. On 1080p screen.

25 to 33 db when holding my phone very close to the PRO.

20 db when 2 meter away from the PRO.

holygeesus

Banned
Mine is quieter than my PC which has a cooling system that cost more than the Pro on it's own, so I consider that a result.

I got mine today and immediately replaced the HDD with my 2TB one from my launch PS4. Been restoring from backup the last 4 hours (900gb) and I haven't heard it at all. I think that's a good sign cause my launch PS4 would have been pretty loud at this point

Playing titanfall...yeah this thing is almost silent. My launch PS4 would get loud while playing this game

tommyguns

I got mine today and immediately replaced the HDD with my 2TB one from my launch PS4. Been restoring from backup the last 4 hours (900gb) and I haven't heard it at all. I think that's a good sign cause my launch PS4 would have been pretty loud at this point

Playing titanfall...yeah this thing is almost silent. My launch PS4 would get loud while playing this game

That is interesting. Last night mine got most noisy while playing titanfall 2 multiplayer

SJRB

Gold Member
My PS4 Pro talks. I'm pretty sure it does, because one time I kneeled really close to it, and placed my ear on it's sleek and sexy back. And I heard it say:

Fuck Jay Z.

"Kill them, Verendus. Kill them all."

"For fuck's sake Playstation, stop talking so embarrassingly loud. I'm playing a game right now."

Kinyou

oAfYmWOl.jpg

Good idea. It's hardly going to be super accurate but it sure is a lot better than people just giving their subjective impression.

Top Bottom