• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seriously WTF!? ....The PS4 Pro is embarrassingly loud :(

horkrux

ermm from the original ps4s that i have pulled apart and cleaned...and also upgraded the cooling ....the console will fail eventually without intervention

I have a hard time believing that. You will always have outliers, but that doesn't mean this is somehow a general problem.

Now the OG PS3 on the other hand, that one was getting hot and begging to fail.

Kito

Could it be that the digital crowd aren't hearing noise, whilst the disc crowd are? I don't own any PS4s but my Wii U is silent with digital games and a jet engine with discs.

crimilde

Banned
Could it be that the digital crowd aren't hearing noise, whilst the disc crowd are? I don't own any PS4s but my Wii U is silent with digital games and a jet engine with discs.

Mine's fairly quiet when reading from disc as well. I can hear the external HDD I have connected to my router more than I hear the PS4 Pro.

I thought early impressions said it was whisper quiet?
Xbox One is whisper quiet. The Pro is not. Mine is nowhere near as noisy as the OG PS4, but definitely not whisper quiet.
I'm all digital and I hear nothing but a fan.

Grinchy

Banned
I played Uncharted 4 for like 15 minutes tops the other day to check out the HDR and it was the loudest I've ever heard a PS4 get.

Yep, slept on it and decided to take it back.

If they don't have any units in stock at the store, then I'll just go for the slim and wait for a hardware revision

Fan noise the slim isn't a bad shout, but mine does emit an obnoxious high pitched whine after being on about 2 minutes until turning off. Thinking of replacing it later today, it's more obnoxious sounding than my og jet engine noise in my opinion.

Also, I'm calling bs on there being any 'whisper quiet' machines out there. No fucking way. Every single unit I've ever used has made noise in some way or another, not all ridiculously loud but nowhere near whisper quiet.

This silent bullshit is more hyperbole than people complaining when they end up with a loud one. Unfortunately all these machines make noise, I've gone through xbox 1 s machines which made noise too which was a nightmare. The xb1 elite is the only one I will say sounds whisper quiet, literally.

Ferr986

No, discs are always installed on PS4 so it doesn't use the drive. It's basically the same as having a digital copy once the game gets installed.

OP says he's thinking about giving up and getting a slim, I would NOT recommend that. I got one yesterday and will be returning it later today. The constant high pitch whine coming from the machine is absolutely horrendous. It never really goes, no matter which angle you sit at or face the console. This is even in the home menu too, not like it's dependant on FPS or something. I'll do an exchange and if another does it I'll cut my losses, get a refund and just do all my gaming for the remainder of this gen on the XB1 Elite.

What a sad state of affairs, really.

:(

Metfanant

I have not heard it other than during the time it was installing games...or when the disc spins up...other than that...can't hear it from my couch

Chabbles

Mines gotten pretty loud with UC4, to about the same levels as OG at full noise level. But for the most part its being alot more quieter in general, apart from the very, very low, but constant lower frequency hum thats there even just watching youtube or whatever.

Ammogeddon

Mine is no louder than my OG PS4. If it's that bad you may need it replacing.

These things need to dissipate heat which is made easier when they are in a well circulated, cool place. For the people with fan noise issues; where are you putting your console?

I used to have mine on top of a glass TV stand and it was really quiet. It's now in a media cabinet that is open at the back so the air can circulate but it can still get hot. I have had to pull the cabinet away from the wall an inch or two as the back of the wall was getting quite hot from the fan blowing on it.

Peltz

Say what you will about Nintendo consoles, at least all their hardware is quiet.

My og PS4 is jet engine loud and gets hot.

Tarkus

The only sounds my pro makes is spinning up the disc drive when I'm using a physical game, which goes away almost instantly, then it's virtually silent unless my face is right next to the system.

Sorry op, sounds like you got a weird one. We haven't had any real complaints about noise from those buying units through my stores either.
Yup same here.

Razgreez

Is this perhaps a situation similar to the OG where standing the PS4 vertically negatively affects its cooling capabilities and results in a louder PS4?

Zalusithix

Is this perhaps a situation similar to the OG where standing the PS4 vertically negatively affects its cooling capabilities and results in a louder PS4?

The design is much the same as the original PS4 with intakes on the sides. Likewise the fan still makes a bulge in the ducts through which the air would flow to those vents from the front. So yeah, standing it up without compensating for that could restrict airflow and cooling negatively. I'm using the same high density foam blocks that I used for my OG PS4 to raise the system up and provide airflow to the lower side .

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Mines only makes noise when reading discs on boot or install, I could hear my old PS4 when transferring even though the Pro wad right next to me
And my old PS4 wasn't loud

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Sounds like you got a bad unit. I sit about 8 feet away from mine and I barely hear anything after playing it for hours at a time, and what I do hear is just a faint fan noise sound.

"Seriously WTF!? ....My PS4 Pro is embarrassingly loud"

Fixed.

Shock32

My Pro is quiet and even when I queue up something to download; I used to hear my launch PS4 turn on and then a small hum while downloading then it would click off when it's finished. I don't even hear this one click on but I've downloaded multiple things to test it and it works perfectly.

If your pro is "embarrassingly loud" there's probably something wrong with it.

neogafdave

Neo Member
On a serious note, we need to factor in people's hearing here. Especially with the high pitch whines ( which I've heard on 2 systems from 2 different retailers ), it's likely those that spend a long period to listening to music at high volumes could be missing that frequency range

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
On a serious note, we need to factor in people's hearing here. Especially with the high pitch whines ( which I've heard on 2 systems from 2 different retailers ), it's likely those that spend a long period to listening to music at high volumes could be missing that frequency range

I assure you my hearing is perfectly fine. I play the system for hours and I have been purposely listening for any sort of noise level issues because the PS3's fan that had that whiny pitch to it used to irritate me so much. My Pro is dead silent.

poodpick

My pro is silent playing unpatched games. It has the same annoying high pitched fan noise when playing patched games as my launch ps4.

I've found that for Pro-patched ganes, its noticeably loud but still quieter than the original PS4 under duress.

But for non-Pro patched games, it's incredibly silent even for games that turn the OG into a jet engine.

The PS4 Pro is insanely loud when reading a disc, lol.

Mine isn't insanely loud as you put it. Sure it makes some noise but its not that loud, maybe it would be more annoying if you are in a small room and you are sat close to the console but in my living room a few meters away, its not really a problem at all, especially if the TV volume is turned up or have headphones on.

chaosaeon

Is there any evidence of huge fan noise discrepancy between PS4s? All I ever read is "mine is quiet, yours must be fucked" but even with the PS4 standard I never heard one that didn't sound pretty much exactly like mine.
Apparently original PS4s could have different fans, and the Pros might too. Some people are saying you can check which fan you have without voiding the warranty.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
I had a JET ENGINE LOUD ps4 for the past 3 years and it's shocking how quiet (silent?) my pro is. In fact, I sent my old ps4 into Sony to resolve the issue and they didn't do anything about it!

DirtyLarry

Yeah OP I would look into getting an exchange. ALL i have been playing is the games you mentioned and mine is not loud at all. TLoS remastered is the game that has caused it to get the loudest, and it was no louder than my PS4.

In fact I can honestly say I was impressed with how not loud it is all things considered.

brentech

Almost think bad unit.
I have my Pro on my desk and I can't even hear it playing BF1 or FIFA. Only thing I hear is the disc drive when FIFA loads. It's a lot quieter than my launch PS4 or the destiny PS4 I had.

I play with low volume out of a monitor, and don't like background noise while playing, so I've been real happy with the Pro unit to this point.

Wubbys

It is embarrassing, my neighbor called the cops on me yesterday for leaving my ps4pro on 😂.

Jokes aside mine is quiet as well.

dano1

A Sheep
Only time I hear mine is at startup when I have a disc in it. Only for a minute and that goes away.
Otherwise it's very quite.

Top Bottom