• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seriously WTF!? ....The PS4 Pro is embarrassingly loud :(

Vashetti

Banned
My Pro's pretty quiet, not an issue there. It obviously makes some fan noise, but it's not obtrusive or anywhere near as bad as my OG PS4.

What I don't get however, is Sony's hardware design. Sony's HW engineers are experts and I probably don't know what I'm talking about...

But, with MS and XB1, there's a big fan directly above the APU and from what I've heard, XB1 consoles are virtually silent.

With the PS4 HW design, the fan always seems to be in the corner of the system and not cooling anything important in particular. The PS3 design was the same.

JamboGT

Its not silent of course but it is orders of magnitude quieter than my OG PS4. One of the things I have been happiest about so far.

This has been when playing Titanfall, CoD, BF1 and WD2.

ViciousDS

Banned
I mean......I can hear it during games that do 4K but.....it's still not as loud as my launch PS4

Older games that aren't pro patch are whisper quiet

TheWraith

Replies in this thread simply mean nothing if you don't specifiy which games you tried. The loud fan noice for most only happens with games running in 4K/HDR/60fps etc. modes that need heavier processing.

Replies in this thread simply mean nothing if you don't specifiy which games you tried. The loud fan noice for most only happens with games running in 4K/HDR/60fps etc. modes that need heavier processing.

Battlefield 1, Titanfall 2, Uncharted 4, Watch Dogs 2, Ratchet and Clank, The Last of Us in 60fps and Dishonored 2 all run quite on my Pro. HDR disabled.

leng jai

Just like my launch PS4, my Pro is not loud at all, just a low hum and only slightly louder when it reads the disc, no complaints here.

Mine is sat under my TV, on the TV stand, not a closed in type, so it has pretty good airflow all around it to keep it cool.

The PS4 Pro is insanely loud when reading a disc, lol.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
to be fair, EVERYTHING was quieter than the launch PS4 :)

There were a lot of people who swore their PS4s were "silent" or "whisper quiet" back then too. I never believed them then, and I'll never believe anyone who says it now. Electronics with fans make noise. Your hearing might be bad enough that you don't notice it, or maybe your ambient noise is high enough to mask it, but you do not have a "silent" PS4. They don't exist. (That doesn't mean the noise level can't vary from system to system though.)

Mine is really quiet when playing non patched games, but I can clearly hear the fan with patched ones. It's still a lot quieter than my launch ps4 and don't really mind it.

Certinty

Mine is pretty loud on Watch Dogs 2 and it is annoying me a lot.

Saying that, it's still far quieter than my original PS4 so at least that's something.

Battlefield 1, Titanfall 2, Uncharted 4, Watch Dogs 2, Ratchet and Clank, The Last of Us in 60fps and Dishonored 2 all run quite on my Pro. HDR disabled.

hey next time you are playing bf1 please could you just sit in the spawn screen (map showing) for five mins (just selecting capture points so you dont get kicked) and tell me if your fans ramp up.

dont want to know if its loud just want to know if the fan ramps up as mine jumps up over 5 times!! my room temp is 19-20c. if you can just mention your temp too please

score01

I just did the Uncharted 4 menu test. Just let the game sit on the menu (with the pirate cage?) Came back 5 minutes later and there was an audible noise but it seemed to be the disk drive. Maybe the disk keeps spinning until you start the game? I ejected the disk and the noise disappeared instantly but it also took me straight to the PS home screen. If it was the fans ramped up I wouldn't have expected them to stop straight away.

To date, I have found the system pretty quiet in unpatched games, noisier on pro patched games but still a lot better than the OG PS4 I had. Maybe it's certain games that are stressing the system more than others.

Sony should have definately stepped up their game on making it more quiet though. These things are in our living rooms/entertainment centres and low acoustic noise should absolutely be a design target not an after thought.

Logash

Mine is quiet and I played Uncharted 4 to test it. I'm not sure if that would be the loudest game but I did like the results. When I play FF14 I get no noise at all while on my OG PS4 It sounded like it was about to take off. Of course, that game is not patched so...

cripterion

Yeah, also not everyone in the world has the same room temperature. The cold has set in around here too so I reckon if I got a Pro now I'd be Team Quiet as well given how much quieter my PC has gotten since the end of Summer.

lol I actually do not need heating in the room where the Pro is. I'm not joking. I actually close the blinds at night and let the window open (room with pc, monitor, tv, consoles).

Anyways, when I say the 2 PS4 (OG & Pro) that I have are loud, that's compared to other equipment that I own. It's a LOT louder than my gaming pc, even when it is under load and it's quite a few ways louder than the Xbox One.

Hanmik

lol I actually do not need heating in the room where the Pro is. I'm not joking. I actually close the blinds at night and let the window open (room with pc, monitor, tv, consoles).

man it must be so silent.. whisper quit wouldn't even cover the silence of that machine.

Dunlop

I haven't noticed mine at all, I've only really played Titanfall 2 (physical) for any extended time thought since getting it

Gaenor

Banned
Mine is quite loud when playing Skyrim. And I mean very loud.

Otherwise, it's quite silent when running Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted 4 and Battlefield 1.

RPGam3r

At this time Skyrim, Hitman, Tomb Raider, WD2, Ratchet. Still difficult to hear when playing games.

No I don't have bad hearing, electronic whine is something that has caused me to sell/trash items before.

EagleEyes

My pro is quite loud when playing games like IW, Uncharted 4 and Titanfall 2 in 4K mode. Are you people with quiet ones playing those games in 4K? Because I don't see how you can't hear the pro at all. It can get pretty loud just like DF reported.

Most ppl are comparing to the launch model PS4, but what about the matte one?
Noise wise that one was always okay to me, so I was shocked when I first heard FFXV in Pro mode running on the Pro.
Annoyingly I have already deleted all the stuff on the matte one in order to sell it, but I think I might transfer all the content back to do some comparisons.

Hanmik

What do you mean? Like I said on the contrary it's loud. Can't imagine how loud it would be during a hot summer and not going digital lol.

it was a Joke.. people are saying theirs are Whisper quiet... which I do not believe.. all electronic devices (especially with fans) make sounds.

Audioboxer

Division was like a jet engine on launch PS4. Pro is silent.

*Phew*. My PS4 is like a wind turbine as well and The Division was bad. The Tomorrow Children is actually one of the worst, if not the worst. Actually earthquake going on in my room noise. Dylan did confirm it is VERY shader heavy, so it seems intensive GPU tasks on a noisy PS4 make it go nuts.

I even opened mine and redone the paste and it's still noisy.

If the Pro is even 25~50% less noisy I'll be happy.

Cappa

Banned
OG Ps4 here... whenever I played Overwatch or Rocket League it sounded like a jet plane.

Wouldnt say the PS4 Pro is "silent" but it sure as hell isnt loud when I play either of those two games though...

Top Bottom