• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seriously WTF!? ....The PS4 Pro is embarrassingly loud :(

Hanmik

The Pro isn't "LOUD" .. it just makes some strange noises that the OG PS4 does not make. Some of those noises are worse than the loudness of the OG PS4 imo,

Has anyone played Modern Warfare Remastered Multiplayer on it..? My Pro makes so many strange noises during matches .. will try to record them tonight.

Siever

Neo Member
I 'm affraid I have some bad news for those who say that their Pro doesn't make any sound during gameplay.. if you know what I mean.

Mine is just as loud as my launch model BEFORE it started to produce whine sound. The fan accelerates to same speeds so the moving air sound is pretty comparable.
But as long as it doesn't make this high pitched whine sound it's fine by me. It's not distracting and can easy be overcome with the game sound.

Let's just hope it stays that way. Launch PS4 clearly didn't..

EagleEyes

OG Ps4 here... whenever I played Overwatch or Rocket League it sounded like a jet plane.

Wouldnt say the PS4 Pro is "silent" but it sure as hell isnt loud when I play either of those two games though...
But those are non patched games that don't play in 4K. Play something like Uncharted 4, IW or Titanfall 2 in 4K to see what your Pro does.

PikkonX

Got my Pro yesterday and the cooling fan is pretty loud, but it doesn't bother me. Though it is certainly louder than my OG PS4, which was pretty much always silent unless the PSVR is plugged in.

score01

*Phew*. My PS4 is like a wind turbine as well and The Division was bad. The Tomorrow Children is actually one of the worst, if not the worst. Actually earthquake going on in my room noise. Dylan did confirm it is VERY shader heavy, so it seems intensive GPU tasks on a noisy PS4 make it go nuts.

I even opened mine and redone the paste and it's still noisy.

If the Pro is even 25~50% less noisy I'll be happy.

For non patched games the system runs as an OG PS4 and the system is pretty silent. If tomorrow's children has had a pro patch then it may be louder. I think it would be a good idea to give the option of running in base PS4 mode and even if a game has been patched.

Tyaren

My Pro is quiet though...
Reading a disc and installing a game it is as loud as my regular PS4 (which already was one of the quieter ones) but other than that, like 90% of the time, the Pro is just slightly humming.

Well shit, the noise level was one my primary reasons for selling my PS4.

I guess I'll be waiting for another revision, no biggie.

flattie

The noise it makes bothers me less than the heat it generates. The area at the rear, above the PSU, gets very hot to touch.

Admittedly, my console is in a media unit with enclosed rear, though. Going to have to make some DIY changes to improve the exhaust route. I wish Sony hadn't made these consoles so deep, tbh.

Well shit, the noise level was one my primary reasons for selling my PS4.

I guess I'll be waiting for another revision, no biggie.

Mission accomplished for the OP.
Now some people who don't read the thread think it's a problem with all PS PRo consoles.

With a thread title like that it's basicly slander.

rawd

I find the Pro just as loud as my launch PS4 but the fan is more dynamic. The old PS4 would blast the fans at different speeds and maintain it whereas the Pro changes fan speed on the fly.

I have all my consoles in an open back media cabinet so it never really bugs me much. But it's not whisper quiet for me.

Got my Pro yesterday and the cooling fan is pretty loud, but it doesn't bother me. Though it is certainly louder than my OG PS4, which was pretty much always silent unless the PSVR is plugged in.

I feel like people are imagining things because they're trying to focus on the sound. There's no way the Pro is louder than the launch PS4.

Waaghals

I have a PS4 that is rather load and obnoxious when in use. I am very aware that many (most?) normal PS4 are rather silent, but mine is noisy.

It seems to be some variation in the quality of the cooling solution, at least with normal PS4s. Maybe the thermal paste isn't applied correctly in all cases.

Perhaps the same is the case with the Pro?

Audioboxer

For non patched games the system runs as an OG PS4 and the system is pretty silent. If tomorrow's children has had a pro patch then it may be louder. I think it would be a good idea to give the option of running in base PS4 mode and even if a game has been patched.

I don't know about TTC and a pro patch. I am not getting my Pro until tomorrow.

I was trying to say TTC is one of the noisiest games I've played on my current OG PS4, and when I prompted Dylan in the GAF OT, he said the game was very shader heavy on the GPU. I'm just speculating games pushing the GPU hard cause some systems to go crazy with the fan. It doesn't matter if it's retail AAA vs "indie" digital.

SickBoy

I'm skeptical of claims that the system is quiet (especially from people who don't seem to believe reports about the noise generated by early PS4 systems)

I say this as someone who owns a Pro and — to this point — has been very happy with the general lack of system noise. But I recognize that most of the games I've played are unpatched and therefore don't push the console. The best I've been able to do is hear a briefly louder fan playing Infamous... nowhere near my launch PS4 and I presume nowhere near top speed for the system's fans. If that's as loud as it gets I'll be over the moon.

I no longer have Titanfall (getting rid of it helped me pay for the system), but I've been trying to find stuff to push the Pro, including stuff like patched F2P games, in the form of Paragon and World of Tanks. No dice.

Some launch PS4s were clearly louder than others, and that might be a case with the Pro. But I'm not ready to write off noise complaints. What I would like to see would be an OS-level option to launch a game in "standard PS4 mode," whether it's for users who want to save power, who want to compare the differences between versions or people like me who were scarred for life by the jet engine noise that my PS4 made whenever I played Doom.

(Thank goodness for headsets, but my wife also noted how loud it was — playing that game and in a couple of other circumstances, it was the loudest console I've ever owned, and I include Dreamcast and Xbox 360 on that list)

EDIT: I should note that my PS4 and Pro occupied the same place. Top of entertainment center, with devices on both sides but with plenty of space between them.

EDIT 2: I will also say that before I got my system I read a lot about disc-reading noise. I haven't experienced any concerns about that... I don't think my drive is any louder than the drive in my launch unit.

But those are non patched games that don't play in 4K. Play something like Uncharted 4, IW or Titanfall 2 in 4K to see what your Pro does.

Overwatch actually has been patched for PS4 Pro support.... (but differences are minimal — some IQ improvements) http://imgur.com/a/Pm5aD

psychotron

Mine gets annoyingly loud. I have mine in a cabinet too, but one that's extremely well ventilated and I'm using the official vertical stand. That fan kicks up so fast that it vibrates and sends a humming through my whole living room. I've been trying different methods of stopping it, with minor success. It's not all the time, but fire up uncharted and you'll hear it. Thinking of swapping it, but I'm willing to bet the next one will be the same, due to to the acoustics of my living room. Damn hardwood floors!!!

Tenshin

this shit scares me.. and after a month or two im gonna hear ps4 pro failures ( hope not)... maybe they gonna make a slim ver of pro...

see this is how you can see that people have a different tolerance in regards to noise..

I mean nobody here can deny, that the PS4 Pro is LOUD when it reads from the disc.. The bluray drive is much more noisy compared to the OG PS4..

So if this person says it is "only slightly louder when it reads from the disc", you can see that his tolerance is much lower than other people..

(unless by "disc" he means the HDD?)

I did mean the blu-ray disc. I've not really heard any HDD noise but it is sat a few meters away.

bryanee

The only time I hear my Pro be a little noisy is when I boot it up and then put a disc in but it shuts up after that. Other than those times I barely hear the thing.

Mine is pretty quiet, as was my OG PS4. Played a bit of Uncharted 4 yesterday on my Pro, and it was still silent.

These things are usually on a case by case basis. It must suck to have a loud one, though.

Arttemis

The Pro isn't "LOUD" .. it just makes some strange noises that the OG PS4 does not make. Some of those noises are worse than the loudness of the OG PS4 imo,

Has anyone played Modern Warfare Remastered Multiplayer on it..? My Pro makes so many strange noises during matches .. will try to record them tonight.
I haven't experienced anything strange or loud from my Pro. The thing is half the volume of its predecessor. It's a quarter the volume of the Wii U.

I haven't played MW, though. Just lots of Ratchet and Clank, Paragon, and a lot of non-patched games without any issue or audible effect.

but the Bluray disc drive makes A LOT of noise..?
Watched two Blu-rays, didn't notice anything regarding noises.

I don't think fan noise is really any indication of reliability

ermm from the original ps4s that i have pulled apart and cleaned...and also upgraded the cooling ....the console will fail eventually without intervention

the guy i work with in modding consoles and repairing is now repairing quite a few ps consoles as the boards have literally split circuits from the heat generated

The ps4 has some of the best hardware but its almost like the xbox and ps4 have swapped positions in terms of build quality of their consoles.

The pro gets some kudos for its top cover being able to be removed without voiding the warranty and its added in some heatsinks but the problem with the original ps4 was the intake areas....and it has not improved with the pro so im guessing im going to have to start looking into my next lot of console mods for the ps4 pro

GazzaGSi

Pretty quiet here too, hasn't caught my attention at all while gaming, only time I notice it is when a disc is first inserted.
Pro games played are IW, TLOU, BFOne, Infamous and afew non Pro games.

Ferr986

I'm skeptical of claims that the system is quiet (especially from people who don't seem to believe reports about the noise generated by early PS4 systems)

I say this as someone who owns a Pro and — to this point — has been very happy with the general lack of system noise. But I recognize that most of the games I've played are unpatched and therefore don't push the console. The best I've been able to do is hear a briefly louder fan playing Infamous... nowhere near my launch PS4 and I presume nowhere near top speed for the system's fans. If that's as loud as it gets I'll be over the moon.

I no longer have Titanfall (getting rid of it helped me pay for the system), but I've been trying to find stuff to push the Pro, including stuff like patched F2P games, in the form of Paragon and World of Tanks. No dice.

Some launch PS4s were clearly louder than others, and that might be a case with the Pro. But I'm not ready to write off noise complaints. What I would like to see would be an OS-level option to launch a game in "standard PS4 mode," whether it's for users who want to save power, who want to compare the differences between versions or people like me who were scarred for life by the jet engine noise that my PS4 made whenever I played Doom.

(Thank goodness for headsets, but my wife also noted how loud it was — playing that game and in a couple of other circumstances, it was the loudest console I've ever owned, and I include Dreamcast and Xbox 360 on that list)

EDIT: I should note that my PS4 and Pro occupied the same place. Top of entertainment center, with devices on both sides but with plenty of space between them.

EDIT 2: I will also say that before I got my system I read a lot about disc-reading noise. I haven't experienced any concerns about that... I don't think my drive is any louder than the drive in my launch unit.

Overwatch actually has been patched for PS4 Pro support.... (but differences are minimal — some IQ improvements) http://imgur.com/a/Pm5aD

You can try FFXV demo if you want to push the system. It's the game i have that makes it runs the loudest, on HQ settings (mind you I don't have TF2 or U4 to compare).

As you, I'm trying to push the system a little, if only because I have 15 days to replace it back to the store for a new one if there's a problem with it.
The FFXV Judgment demo absolutely murdered my OG, it was as loud as Rocket League title screen pre-patch, with the Pro the fan ramps up but it's less loud for sure.

My Pro is exactly in the same spot where my OG PS4 was, an empty open area.

PikkonX

I feel like people are imagining things because they're trying to focus on the sound. There's no way the Pro is louder than the launch PS4.

Haha, not imagining this at all. I've spent hundreds of hours with my launch day PS4 in the same location 5 feet in front of me where my Pro currently sits. It has always been pretty much silent unless the VR is plugged in, at which point it's at full blast.

My Pro on the other hand, from the second I turned it on to transfer my data, is very audible. Let alone when the VR is running...

KORNdoggy

my friends pro is as quiet as my launch model was and continues to be. ie. i can hear it is installing a game if there is no other noise in the room, but once it's installed it's practically silent.

tbh the only way i could hear both my friends pro and my own PS4 is if i set them up on my side table so it was within about 3 ft from my ear or something. across the room under the TV, which is likely on anyway?...no way i'd hear either machine.

Yep, slept on it and decided to take it back.

If they don't have any units in stock at the store, then I'll just go for the slim and wait for a hardware revision

Abdiel

The only sounds my pro makes is spinning up the disc drive when I'm using a physical game, which goes away almost instantly, then it's virtually silent unless my face is right next to the system.

Sorry op, sounds like you got a weird one. We haven't had any real complaints about noise from those buying units through my stores either.

That heatsink doesn't exactly inspire confidence with anyone who's dealt with PC components of similar TDP. .
Which custom PC(s) have you've built that hit 4+TF with their GPU, feature 8GB of GDDR5, bd-rom, 1TB HDD, network components, etc. that are the size of a PS4 Pro (which is about the size of Xbox One) and are ~$400?

This is my old rig, btw:

10398458_56999179165_2038252_n.jpg

Zafir

Lol, it's like the OG PS4 all over again. With loads of people reporting it's ridiculously loud under certain circumstances, and others reporting it's "quiet at all times".

I've had two PS4's(launch one and the anniversary one) and both of them sounded the exact same. Really loud on certain bits where companies decided to not cap the frame rate and/or really taxing games.

I think the issue is environment can affect it, as well as peoples sensitivity to noise. I'd say I'm quite sensitive to noise. My PC is of medium levels, but I've kind of grown used to the constant hum of it so it doesn't bother me. On the other hand I don't use stand by at all on my Xbox One because the fan being constantly on inside the power brick drives me up the wall(though I wouldn't say it's that loud).

maxiell

You made the exact same thread about your original PS4. Maybe it's time to stay away from Sony products for awhile.

TheFatMan

I don't hear my Pro at all....maybe its the way you have yours sitting, or maybe you need to look into a replacement.

I have mine sitting flat on my tv stand, about 7 feet from where I sit. I've played Uncharted 4, Ratchet, BF1, MW:R, and IW so far as far as patched games go.

Haven't noticed any more noise than my OG.

Top Bottom