• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seriously WTF!? ....The PS4 Pro is embarrassingly loud :(

chaosaeon

Some of us played the 'Xbox One S Fan Noise Lottery' about 4 or 5 times before we won ....

Not an experience many will want to repeat anytime soon.

Where are you guys returning 4 or 5 open 'not technically defective' consoles to without people refusing to do it ? Like "yeah i opened it and it seems a little noisy, so take it back and give me another new one." And multiple times ? What store is this. Or did you try different stores each time ?

Where are you guys returning 4 or 5 open 'not technically defective' consoles to without people refusing to do it ? Like "yeah i opened it and it seems a little noisy, so take it back and give me another new one." And multiple times ? What store is this. Or did you try different stores each time ?

Well, im a BestBuy Elite Plus member, so they dont really question my returns

I went thru 2 different XB1-S before eventually giving up and getting the ps4 pro

Tesco.

I got lucky on my third one but a few people went to four or five. There was a huge thread on it on a UK deals website, think Tesco were just sending them all back to Microsoft - hopefully they got the message and the Scorpio will be more consistent with its fans and noise levels.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
That sucks, AgentOtaku. Hope you get yours fixed soon.
Mine is still really really quiet after extensive playtime. *knocks on wood*

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Sorry OP, looks like you're in the unlucky minority.

My Pro is is almost whisper quiet. Only time I can hear it audibly is when I start the device or when a game starts, the noise of the disc driver whirring for a few seconds.

Most return policies these days are "if you're dissatisfied for any reason," unless something has changed that I'm not aware of, as long as you're in the return window.

TalonJH

Well, im a BestBuy Elite Plus member, so they dont really question my returns

I went thru 2 different XB1-S before eventually giving up and getting the ps4 pro

Dude, you must have the worst luck with consumer electronics. You went through 2 XB1s and now a Pro. You have to be building up some karma, I hope your next one is quite. Make sure to post if you get a new one.

ghibli99

While setting mine up last night, I had it sitting on top of my desk. When I started playing First Light, I was surprised by how loud it was. After I put it down on the shelf under my desk where the rest of my consoles sit, I barely heard it.

Common theme with this generation of consoles. I've exchanged OG Xbox One and PS4 a couple times each to find a quiet one. Just play the lottery :) Good luck

I know this has already been touched on a bunch, but my Pro has thus far been much more quiet than my base PS4. Like night and day difference kind of thing. I think I notice a tone/note pitch to the fan noise more than I was able to identify with my base model so maybe that's more the issue? *shrug*

rokkerkory

1st gen problems i bet

or

it's letting you know you have the pro / best version of the console because it is working overtime to give u the goods

The fan on mine is definitely audible while playing Uncharted 4 or TLOU in uncapped mode, but there's no whine. Just the sound of a fan.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Tried a range of games on my Pro. I have yet to ever hear any noise coming from it.

The fan on mine is definitely audible while playing Uncharted 4 or TLOU in uncapped mode, but there's no whine. Just the sound of a fan.

Yup, same here. Fan makes a normal whoosh sound when playing demanding Pro titles. It's not high pitched and not almost unbearable like my launch PS4 was.

Can you return to Amazon U.K. If it's too loud? Only thing stopping me getting a pro is the ball ache of transferring all my shit and potential jet engine.

Does op's console reside in a confined space where heat cant escape as fast?

Nah, i always put them in a fairly open space.

Still, this morning before unplugging it, i sat it on top of a shelf, completely open, loaded up the Infinite Warfare campaign, and still got the bad pitch results :/

Tried a range of games on my Pro. I have yet to ever hear any noise coming from it.

Ugh, this shit makes me so jealous

molnizzle

Yours is broken I think? PS4 Pro is very, very quiet.

It's difficult for me to believe this when there were so many NeoGAF posters claiming the original PS4 was "whisper quiet" also. I think some of y'all have a very different definition of what "whisper quiet" really means. To me it means you can't fucking hear a thing—ever. No PS4 models (not even the slim, though it gets the closest) achieve this.

Happy with my slim for now. Will be more interested in a Pro when someone releases a custom top plate with a filtered fan cut-out. I'm hoping that cuts down on the noise...

You can try FFXV demo if you want to push the system. It's the game i have that makes it runs the loudest, on HQ settings (mind you I don't have TF2 or U4 to compare).

As you, I'm trying to push the system a little, if only because I have 15 days to replace it back to the store for a new one if there's a problem with it.
The FFXV Judgment demo absolutely murdered my OG, it was as loud as Rocket League title screen pre-patch, with the Pro the fan ramps up but it's less loud for sure.

My Pro is exactly in the same spot where my OG PS4 was, an empty open area.
Good to read that it's the game, then.
The FFXV demo is the only Pro enabled game that I could try so far and the noise was worrisome.

Would plugging in a fan to the front USB of the system to increase air flow around the unit help cool it?

Nah, it's just a fundamental problem with how Sony decided to design the PS4's chassis this gen.
They went with a large mm fan (120?) Last gen like MS did then gen and the PS3 was a mostly quiet system, especially with the chipset revisions.
The gun metal grey MGS3 PS3 console was the quiest one in my experience

Are you sure your launch PS4 is turned on? Either that or you are deaf if you think it's "whisper silent". I've yet to come across a PS4 like this and I work in a studio with loads of them.

Ive had two launch systems and it's never been loud enough to notice. I remember one game would zip the fans up before it got patched. I think it was rocket league.

Brix

Mines is quiet. I play like five feet away from it. Played Bloodborne for 3 hours and didn't hear any noise. Some of you must be playing games with one of your ears attached on top of the console.

Mines is quiet. I play like five feet away from it. Played Bloodborne for 3 hours and didn't hear any noise. Some of you must be playing games with one of your ears attached on top of the console.

I've played on three pros in the last week. Same experience.

My new one, totally quiet. Can kinda hear the fan if the TV is muted during heavy action.

My friend's pro, same.

The pro I installed in my office, same.

All three are quieter than my launch PS4 was, and seem to be on par with the noise level of the PS4 revision from last year.

OsirisBlack

Banned

Pretty much this, I have completed Titanfall 2 campaign,CODIW Campaign and am working on finishing UC4 again and the only time I ever hear the machine is when I first put a disc in. After that I would have to literally put my ear on the console to even know that it was still running. The few games I have been playing digitally make absolutely no noise ever its the quietest gaming console I have owned since cart based gaming days.

bj00rn_

Banned
It's a lottery. It was the same with PS3 (mine was literally as loud as a hairdryer), and the PS4. I have no idea why Sony are unable to make their consoles roughly the same for everyone.

I'm sorry, looks like you clearly got a faulty ps4 pro. My suggestion would be to exchange it. Mine is extremely quiet just like most people on this thread.

Eiji

My PS4 Pro is a fair bit louder than the C-chassis PS4 I had with Pro enabled games.

I'm looking to get it exchanged as sometimes the fan sounds like it's grazing something and makes an awful sound in addition to the loudness of the system.

Kremzeek

It's a lottery. It was the same with PS3 (mine was literally as loud as a hairdryer), and the PS4. I have no idea why Sony are unable to make their consoles roughly the same for everyone.

Yes, to be fair, my Pro is way quieter than my OGPS4, but yes I had a hair dryer PS3.

Total lottery with these consoles I guess.

I think some of y'all have a very different definition of what "whisper quiet" really means. To me it means you can't fucking hear a thing—ever.
But you can actually hear whispers. So defining "whisper quiet" to mean "completely inaudible" doesn’t make much sense.

Top Bottom