• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seth Killian joins Sony Santa Monica to work on All Star Battle Royale

nowai

Lead game designer? I guess I didn't know he had that kind of skill set. Does it involve any coding or deep technical knowledge?

Designer and developer are very different.

The game designer is like the producer of a movie or show. They have the overall vision and instruct the developers one what they would like to see in the game.

Then the code monkeys go to town and write the code.

Also, grats to Seth! Love that man and wish him all the best. I still hope he does some commentating at EVO.

TheOGB

Banned
Goddamn son, nice! Congrats to S-Kill!

3rd Megaton. Naughty Dog bought the Crash Bandicoot license from Activision and Crash will now be in PSABR and ND will release a brand new Crash from the Uncharted 3 team.
This didn't really happen
Oh you

:(

Valnen

Nothing stays the same forever. If there's anyone who could spread the quality to other companies, it's S-Kill.

I'm skeptical of that unless more people leave Capcom. It's going to take a lot to dethrone the juggernaut that is Street Fighter. Lots have tried and failed.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
the game is out this winter

im wondering more about what it means for the future Sony SM, ans Superbot in terms of fighting games.

sfxt0214123bmpjpgcopy_530x298.jpg

Whats so wrong with the gameplay in this game??? I dont understand all the hate. I understand the DLC on disc fiasco, but whats so wrong with the core game? It looks great.

My first reaction was "yo ugghhh! Betrayal-ton!"

So Seth Killian now has to talk up a game with worse fundamentals than SFxTK?

SFxT has the most street fighter fundamentals out of any games right now. Hell that's probably another reason as to why the game is "boring" because no one in this day and age wants to see all pure fundamentals anymore. If you just would look at tournament results for SFxT all the winner have really strong street fighter fundamentals.

It's like watching a basketball game where no one is allowed to dunk or throw a behind the back pass. Just dribble up and down the court and take 18 foot jump shots.

Whats so wrong with the gameplay in this game??? I dont understand all the hate. I understand the DLC on disc fiasco, but whats so wrong with the core game? It looks great.

What's wrong with SFxT is that the competitive fighting game scene thinks it's boring. Which they would be correct in.

it's just not a fun competitive fighter. It seems the mashing of tekken links and juggles, doesn't work with the rock, paper scissors gameplay of Capcom fighters.

I personally think with patches it could be given a lease of life, but it far from dead, just people just tend to experiment with it a while and return to what they normally prefer.

Here are my biggest gripes. Individually they are small things (minus the gems) but altogether it makes a good foundation game turn into a piece of shit.

1) Grab range is ass. Thus is not a good reliable option. Normally this isn't that big deal of an issue until you go to #2, and #3.

2) Time still ticks during cinematic, including throws. Which lead to a lot of wasted time which escalates other issues.

3) Jabs are godlike on too many characters. This isn't that big of an issue normally in most fighters but in SFxT jabs lead to a full combo. Jabs on a good portion of the cast are also like +3 on block with a 4 frame startup. Meaning if I jab you and you block, you have to sit there and block more jabs unless you want to risk eating 30-40% dmg. Normally the counter to this is throws, but because throws are ass that counter goes away for the most part.

4) Grey health regen is stupid fast. Which means higher health pools then expected considering how easy it is to tag out.

5) damage scaling. There is very little reason why you would ever go into a super in this game. Why? Because damage scaling hits so hard that a super might add only like 100 more dmg in a combo. Now consider the fact that supers take 2 meters (3 if you do the cross one) and you can only hold 3 meters. Now that on top of meter being better spent on 1) ex moves and 2) defensive options (alpha counter, tag cancel etc).

6) Gems are stupid. Pay to win is retarded in a fighting game. Auto block and Auto tech which take only like 1/8th of a bar or something absurd? So stupid.

7) Time outs. Because of issues #1, 2, 3, 4, and 5. Time outs are often occurrence in SFxT. And no putting infinite time is not an answer to this problem because infinite time destroys character balance. One second in real life equates to 1 second in SFxT, while games like Marvel its more like 2-3 second real life time = 1 second marvel. Also it doesn't help that you have to do considerably more dmg to in SFxT to get a round compared to SF4 in less effective time. Also because of the time issue, people are forced to make stupid decision if they are losing.

There are more gripes but those are off the top of my head.

edit

Honestly I think the foundation of SFxT is great. It can be a great game, but it got layered with a bunch of bullshit that just dragged the quality of the game down.

shaowebb

SFxT has the most street fighter fundamentals out of any games right now. Hell that's probably another reason as to why the game is "boring" because no one in this day and age wants to see all pure fundamentals anymore. If you just would look at tournament results for SFxT all the winner have really strong street fighter fundamentals.

It's like watching a basketball game where no one is allowed to dunk or throw a behind the back pass. Just dribble up and down the court and take 18 foot jump shots.

What's wrong with SFxT is that the competitive fighting game scene thinks it's boring. Which they would be correct in.

Its boring due to time outs. Its hated because of how buggy and glitchy it is. Many glitches are game breaking or character ruining. It had a ton of infinites and even after they patched more are being found (Rufus has one). It had antogonistic DLC. Even if you had no problem with them being on disc they announced those 12 BEFORE they launched the console game essentially telling people that to know the matchups for a dozen characters they would eventually have to pay a third more. Exclusive gems and DLC gems meant some combos had to be paid for and since those gems are mainly more powerful it was a real turnoff to people. Plus the balance on some characters was really sort of ridiculous. Compare Hugo to Julia and tell me who has the highest odds of success and who has the most matchups in their favor? For that matter most of the projectile guys in SF seems to be at an advantage, but maybe thats just me.

The game is fun for fundamentals but it has a lot of tools and things that have happened to it to make it a pretty big downer to fighting game fans. Potential was there, but a lot went wrong and a lot never got balanced. Thats why it gets all the hate it does.

I know. I just found his little statement kinda cute.

Or maybe he's saying there's no competition? That's prolly why they released SFxT. Not being challenged enough. Who knows.
It's hard to say what was going on in Ono's mind. There was the rumor that he just wanted to get it done so he could start on DS4. There's some logic to that. Or maybe he was rushed and couldn't fine-tune it. Maybe he thought it was actually really good. No clue.

I'm skeptical of that unless more people leave Capcom. It's going to take a lot to dethrone the juggernaut that is Street Fighter. Lots have tried and failed.
Enough people have left Capcom that I don't think the "talent" at Capcom is much of an argument. How many other companies have tried to compete with Capcom in the 2D fighter realm outside of what most call "anime fighters"? The genre sort of belongs to Capcom in the same way RPGs used to belong to Squaresoft and platformers to Nintendo.

Its boring due to time outs. Its hated because of how buggy and glitchy it is. Many glitches are game breaking or character ruining. It had a ton of infinites and even after they patched more are being found (Rufus has one). It had antogonistic DLC. Even if you had no problem with them being on disc they announced those 12 BEFORE they launched the console game essentially telling people that to know the matchups for a dozen characters they would eventually have to pay a third more. Exclusive gems and DLC gems meant some combos had to be paid for and since those gems are mainly more powerful it was a real turnoff to people. Plus the balance on some characters was really sort of ridiculous. Compare Hugo to Julia and tell me who has the highest odds of success and who has the most matchups in their favor? For that matter most of the projectile guys in SF seems to be at an advantage, but maybe thats just me.

The game is fun for fundamentals but it has a lot of tools and things that have happened to it to make it a pretty big downer to fighting game fans. Potential was there, but a lot went wrong and a lot never got balanced. Thats why it gets all the hate it does.

Uhhh Julia is definitely between Mid High Tier to High Tier last time I checked.. She's definitely good. Hugo is just a derp-a-derp character. You just have to play the matchup and not fight him like he is another character. This is so similar to the Sentinel shit in mvc3.

People also didn't quit the game because of infinites. MK9 had a blockstring infinite, but the community still stayed loyal and strong. Every VS. game had infinites. SF4 had an infinite and unblockables. The community knows infinites generally get patched out anyways.

Also projectiles don't make a character has an advantage. Kazuya is considered like top 5 and he doesn't have a projectile. Same went for rufus pre-nerf. Chunli has one but it is barely used. Nobody used Rolento's knife because that he had better options. If projectiles were so good then Sagat, Guile, Dhalsim, and etc would be so top tier but they aren't.

Raonak

Banned
Wow. quite big news i'd say.

Game is only like 4 months away. but then again, balance is usually one of the last thing worked on.

DR2K

Banned

Full of timeouts, stuffed with too many mechanics, balanced around gem use, unbalanced gems, timeouts, infinites, long boring combo strings, timeouts, and timeouts. can't really blame Seth for the entire game being a piece of shit.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Back on topic.

Glad for Seth. However, the demo shown at E3 had zero depth from what I saw so I really hope he can salvage it somehow.
Hope he doesn't have to have his soul crushed apologizing for it being shit later.

Icarus

Yay. Seth. Best of luck in the new gig. I'm not sure I'd say anything he touches will turn to gold, but anything he touches will be miles better than it otherwise would have been. Great news for Sony.

Loudninja

Back on topic.

Glad for Seth. However, the demo shown at E3 had zero depth from what I saw so I really hope he can salvage it somehow.
Hope he doesn't have to have his soul crushed apologizing for it being shit later.
What does it need to be salvage from?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
So this game is basically Sony Smash Bros?

Man I just hope they've changed the way you KO opponents. At the very least, offer several different options for each round. Would suck if they copied 95% of Smash Bros. but left out the best 5%.

How does it work in the Sony game?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Salvage it from what?
Being a shallow party game.
So this game is basically Sony Smash Bros?

How does it work in the Sony game?
Basically.

It seemed that you gain SUPER METER from dealing damage, then you use your special to (insta)kill your enemies. The stage shown was boxed in except the top. No damage meters, no score counter. Did not see any blocking, parrying, shielding, or dodging.

If there's a write-up on the observed game mechanics I'd love to see one.

Yeah, Supers being the only way to kill is just really stupid, and will get old fast. I can't believe they're going through the trouble of making a smash clone and leaving out the best parts of smash (taking risks off the stage, playing around on the edge, edge-guarding, recovering, spiking...)

Between this and Sakurai's dumb ass insistence on building the anti-competitive fighting game engine, I don't think anyone will be tapping the tons of awesome potential that lies in the smash formula anytime soon =(.

Drencrom

It seemed that you gain SUPER METER from dealing damage, then you use your special to (insta)kill your enemies. The stage shown was boxed in except the top. No damage meters, no score counter. Did not see any blocking, parrying, shielding, or dodging.

The bolded is false. Several write-ups about the game have been posted in the PSASBR discussion thread. Can't link any atm, on my cell.

Great pick up for Sony. Though I'd say Sony Smash looks mechanically flawed (super only kills), maybe S-Kill can help design their next fighting game from the ground up.

Takao

Banned
3rd Megaton. Naughty Dog bought the Crash Bandicoot license from Activision and Crash will now be in PSABR and ND will release a brand new Crash from the Uncharted 3 team.
This didn't really happen

Current Naughty Dog making a new Crash Bandicoot would probably be worse than anything those years at Activision/Sierra did to the franchise.

SSReborn

Basically.

You can dodge supers by rolling actually, if you come to psabr thread alot of these things have been found out through various e3 gameplay video/interviews there is no cumulative post with all the relevant info yet however

Loudninja

Basically.

It seemed that you gain SUPER METER from dealing damage, then you use your special to (insta)kill your enemies. The stage shown was boxed in except the top. No damage meters, no score counter.Did not see any blocking, parrying, shielding, or dodging.

If you actually followed the game than you know you can do all of this.

Also the game does have a score meter.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
The bolded is false. Several write-ups about the game have been posted in the PSASBR discussion thread. Can't link any atm, on my cell.
You can dodge supers by rolling actually, if you come to psabr thread alot of these things have been found out through various e3 gameplay video/interviews there is no cumulative post with all the relevant info yet however
Thanks guys, I didn't easily find any detailed info on this easily.

I see blocking is in the OP at least. Just so many pages and nothing condensed. It was a poor showcase at E3 and really tempered my expectations. I think the emphasizes on 'wow look at these supers' and SweetTooth only doing shotgun and pie just crushed my hopes.
If you actually followed the game than you know you can do all of this.
I saw what they showed and it looked bad. So bad that I didn't bother looking any anything else for the game. I usually follow a lot of game stuff I'm interested in.
I haven't found any write up of game mechanics for it yet. If you find one please let me know. I'm interested in it.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
My favorite thing about threads like this is how the bulk of comments saying how crap it looks are from people that haven't played the game at all. So much knee-jerk conclusion jumping.

I have no idea who Seth Killian is, but if he has the experience necessary to make this game just that much better, then I'm all for it.

I've already posted my impressions in the PBR discussion thread, but my time with the game was brief (about 10 minutes), and I had an absolute blast.

As a huge Smash Bros fan, I've been looking forward to a PlayStation take for a long, long time. I was also surprised by how different the game was from Smash, while still occupying the same genre.

I played the Vita and PS3 versions, and I'm aching to play it again. It really is a fun game. Videos and screens don't do it justice at all. Even watching videos of games like SSB look unfocused and chaotic, but you have to actually play them to really gain a real understanding of how fun they are.

After having some hands on time with the game, I watch the videos with a better grasp of what I'm seeing, and it's exciting.

Play the game first, then incessantly bitch about how bad it is.

SSReborn

My favorite thing about threads like this is how the bulk of comments saying how crap it looks are from people that haven't played the game at all. So much knee-jerk conclusion jumping.

I have no idea who Seth Killian is, but if he has the experience necessary to make this game just that much better, then I'm all for it.

I've already posted my impressions in the PBR discussion thread, but my time with the game was brief (about 10 minutes), and I had an absolute blast.

As a huge Smash Bros fan, I've been looking forward to a PlayStation take for a long, long time. I was also surprised by how different the game was from Smash, while still occupying the same genre.

I played the Vita and PS3 versions, and I'm aching to play it again. It really is a fun game. Videos and screens don't do it justice at all. Even watching videos of games like SSB look unfocused and chaotic, but you have to actually play them to really gain a real understanding of how fun they are.

After having some hands on time with the game, I watch the videos with a better grasp of what I'm seeing, and it's exciting.

Play the game first, then incessantly bitch about how bad it is.

I think part of the problem is that within the PBR thread there is really no Giant Post with all the info and knowledge of the game that we've gathered from the gameplay post E3. The OP hasn't been updated in since I think the initial reveal either. So people are only really left with whats openly presented to them that being the E3 Stage Demo

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Here are my biggest gripes. Individually they are small things (minus the gems) but altogether it makes a good foundation game turn into a piece of shit.

1) Grab range is ass. Thus is not a good reliable option. Normally this isn't that big deal of an issue until you go to #2, and #3.

2) Time still ticks during cinematic, including throws. Which lead to a lot of wasted time which escalates other issues.

3) Jabs are godlike on too many characters. This isn't that big of an issue normally in most fighters but in SFxT jabs lead to a full combo. Jabs on a good portion of the cast are also like +3 on block with a 4 frame startup. Meaning if I jab you and you block, you have to sit there and block more jabs unless you want to risk eating 30-40% dmg. Normally the counter to this is throws, but because throws are ass that counter goes away for the most part.

4) Grey health regen is stupid fast. Which means higher health pools then expected considering how easy it is to tag out.

5) damage scaling. There is very little reason why you would ever go into a super in this game. Why? Because damage scaling hits so hard that a super might add only like 100 more dmg in a combo. Now consider the fact that supers take 2 meters (3 if you do the cross one) and you can only hold 3 meters. Now that on top of meter being better spent on 1) ex moves and 2) defensive options (alpha counter, tag cancel etc).

6) Gems are stupid. Pay to win is retarded in a fighting game. Auto block and Auto tech which take only like 1/8th of a bar or something absurd? So stupid.

7) Time outs. Because of issues #1, 2, 3, 4, and 5. Time outs are often occurrence in SFxT. And no putting infinite time is not an answer to this problem because infinite time destroys character balance. One second in real life equates to 1 second in SFxT, while games like Marvel its more like 2-3 second real life time = 1 second marvel. Also it doesn't help that you have to do considerably more dmg to in SFxT to get a round compared to SF4 in less effective time. Also because of the time issue, people are forced to make stupid decision if they are losing.

There are more gripes but those are off the top of my head.

edit

Honestly I think the foundation of SFxT is great. It can be a great game, but it got layered with a bunch of bullshit that just dragged the quality of the game down.

I absolutely ADORED SFxT when it came out and played it pretty obsessively for 2 weeks..and then sold it. This post is absolutely wonderful at pointing out the flaws. Personally I still think SFxT is downright fun but these points are all very true. #3 is really the giant problem in my opinion.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I think part of the problem is that within the PBR thread there is really no Giant Post with all the info and knowledge of the game that we've gathered from the gameplay post E3. The OP hasn't been updated in since I think the initial reveal either. So people are only really left with whats openly presented to them that being the E3 Stage Demo

I understand that, but where does personal effort fit into it?

I don't need to be spoonfed everything in one epic post. I read through the threads, read the comments/impressions from the posters. Look for articles on whatever the game is that I'm curious about. Basically, I do the homework.

It's not really that hard to google up some shit on this game and any other. I like the convenience of a big info dump post, but I don't rely on them.

yurinka

Nice to see him joining Sony Santa Monica and Superbot. Let's hope now it turns into a decent game and it isn't too late.

SykoTech

I absolutely ADORED SFxT when it came out and played it pretty obsessively for 2 weeks..and then sold it. This post is absolutely wonderful at pointing out the flaws. Personally I still think SFxT is downright fun but these points are all very true. #3 is really the giant problem in my opinion.

Yep. I still enjoy playing SFxT with my brother and a few friends, but I pretty much dropped online play altogether. The constant jabbing just wasn't fun.

This is .... well a megaton indeed .

Santa monica is really the place to be ( aside from ND ) it seems in the playstation familly from an outsider perspective ..

SSReborn

I understand that, but where does personal effort fit into it?

I don't need to be spoonfed everything in one epic post. I read through the threads, read the comments/impressions from the posters. Look for articles on whatever the game is that I'm curious about. Basically, I do the homework.

It's not really that hard to google up some shit on this game and any other. I like the convenience of a big info dump post, but I don't rely on them.

The difference in your case is your interested in the game already so you will put that extra effort in. For someone else however, who isn't they arent going to read a bunch of previews just to figure out all the ins and outs of the game. Which in that case its up to the publisher to essentially sell them on the game. That's where something like the E3 stage demo comes into play (which wasn't very good at showing the game off and is probably what most people are basing there opinions on)

Googling isn't always an efficient way of finding out information on PSABR because most previews don't mention the most technical stuff which is what a hardcore fighting player wants to know most. (we didn't even know we could roll through supers until that one interview video) I just don't think Superbot presented the game well at E3 in terms of the depth; In all of the interview videos there was only like 2 where they even mentioned that you can avoid supers. This however should be remedied at Evo where the hardcore fighting players should pluck all the technical info out of them.

Top Bottom