• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SF Bay Area: chance of snow tomorrow (friday)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/201...n-francisco-not-certainty-there-s-fair-chance

Chill out, San Francisco. There’s still a chance for snow downtown.

It’s only a “fair chance,” but at least it’s not a fat chance, according to the latest update from the National Weather Service Thursday morning.

“Am I being vague enough for you?” said Steve Anderson, meteorologist for the National Weather Service.

Amid the hype this week about the potential for downtown snowfall for the first time in 30 years, San Franciscans are just going to have to wait and see what happens when the cold and moisture mix Friday afternoon and evening.

The City saw a bit of rain Thursday morning. That was the “leading edge of the cold air and the storm behind it,” Anderson said.

That rain could morph into little white things that fall from the sky, but Nob Hill residents won’t be strapping on their skiis for the commute to work.

Any snowflakes at sea level certainly won’t stick, and don’t try to search for the perfect sea-level spot for a picture. The snowfall will be “hit and miss” throughout The City, Anderson said.

“There could be reports of light snow in Noe Valley, and nothing in Eureka Valley,” Anderson said. “It could be downtown, but nothing in Oceanside.”

There is a better chance that San Franciscans will see snowflakes in its higher elevations such as Mount Sutro, Anderson added.

If you want better odds for snowfall, travel to the North Bay. The snow will hit the North Bay mountains Thursday night, Anderson said. There will be about 1 inch at a thousand feet in elevation, 2 to 4 inches at 1,500 feet, and 6 inches plus above 2,500 feet, he said.

Towns like Angwin, which is north of Napa, will get several inches of snow “for sure,” Anderson said. Expect highway closures, downed trees and power outages, he said.

The cold front will remain in the Bay Area throughout the weekend, hovering in the mid-30s in The City and mid-20s in the North Bay, Anderson said.

Expect rain to visit us again in the middle of next week, he said.
wtf

Acid08

Banned
Yeah that'll happen sometimes. I remember when I was a kid there were a couple snowy days but obviously nothing major.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I forget what year it was in the late 80s, but we had an inch of snow in the North Bay (Sonoma County). It was amazing. Now I live in Toronto.

I'm kind of anxious to see what'll happen.

Obviously I'm going into work tomorrow, but part of me would love to have a snow day.

Acid08

Banned
Auron_Kale said:
I'm kind of anxious to see what'll happen.

Obviously I'm going into work tomorrow, but part of me would love to have a snow day.
It will maybe cover the ground somewhat. Bay Area snow has always been weak shit.

Acid08 said:
It will maybe cover the ground somewhat. Bay Area snow has always been weak shit.

I figured as much. Still though, will have to make sure that BART's systems don't freak out... Small hope I know, since it's always a problem when it RAINS... (T ^ T)

ezekial45

Banned
I'm very excited for this. I've actually never seen snow before.

I live in the peninsula, but i'm spending most of the day in SF tomorrow. I really hope it happens.

dankir

San Fran is hilly as fuck, I couldn't imagine how you guys would deal with snow with those kind of elevation changes lol.

Acid08

Banned
dankir said:
San Fran is hilly as fuck, I couldn't imagine how you guys would deal with snow with those kind of elevation changes lol.
Because the snow isn't shit usually and doesn't make that much of a difference. On some of the extreme hills though I guess it could cause a problem.

meanwhile-in-finland.jpg

Acid08 said:
Because the snow isn't shit usually and doesn't make that much of a difference. On some of the extreme hills though I guess it could cause a problem.

It hasn't snowed in SF/lower elevations since 1976, so what are you talking about?

Soma

Man I'd love to see it snow the city.

Would be a bitch and a half to get around though. I miss living there.

moonspeak said:
Man I'd love to see it snow the city.

Would be a bitch and a half to get around though. I miss living there.

I have to go to class tomorrow, thank god the snow supposedly doesn't hit till the evening. I'm staying inside. People here can't drive worth a shit in rain, snow would just be fatality city.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom