• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SFV: 2017 Deluxe Edition includes Season 1&2. $79.99 (On Sale: $47 on Steam)

Garlador

These comparisons are idiotic. Killer Instinct has been out for over 3 years and was an F2P title at launch, of course it's $40 now. Street Fighter V has been out for less than a year so a bundle that includes the base game, the Season 1 Pass ($30), and the Season 2 pass ($30 and which the season started literally two days ago) going for $80 is reasonable. And if it isn't then guess what, you can buy Ultra Street Fighter 4 with its 44 characters for $15 so why buy anything else?

Aside from that, once Season 2 is complete SFV will have more characters than KI did over 3 seasons so it's not even like the two are directly comparable in regards to content vs. price.

They absolutely are.

You act like Killer Instinct was only F2P, when there was absolutely multiple packages for the game, including discounted Season bundle packs, and multiple retail discs as well (Combo Break Pack and Definitive Edition share retail space). So when you say "of course it's $40 now", there are viable physical releases of the game to compete with that exist. And, of course, it's base season 1 crew launched at $20, because that's a very fair entry price for a "games as a service" model.

SFV is still absolutely based on the same "games as a service" model, only without the coexisting and viable entry price point. It's priced as a full-price retail game, but its business model is still geared around driving players to purchase DLC, just as Killer Instinct does.

But arguing content vs. price, Killer Instinct was never priced as exorbitantly high as Street Fighter V was in any incarnation. It may end up with fewer characters, but its price is vastly more reasonable per character, and each character came accompanied with their own stage, unique costumes, and a surplus of other substantial content to sweeten the pot.

And characters aren't the only source of content. Killer Instinct still has a surplus of gameplay modes and unlockables that easily dwarf Street Fighter V's offerings, despite the price differences (it also has *gasp!* an actual Arcade Mode!).

Beyond that, yes, they are also both fighting games, and both good ones, and can and should be compared to one another. Their rosters, gameplay, modes, and business models can and should be weighed against one another and, in my personal opinion, one of them clearly offers more bang for my buck than the other does.

I want SFV to turn things around. I'm rooting for it. But that "bundle" at that price is going me instant sticker shock. That is not a good entry price for new players wishing to get caught up.

Spman2099

My point isn't that the criticism is undeserved. The vast majority of it is. My point is that I have a lot of doubt that some (not all) of the people actively criticizing the game have any desire to ever see it actually do things right, and are simply enjoying finding more reasons to hate it. There's constructive criticism and then there's just being a hater for the sake of hating.

Hating SFV has essentially become a hobby for some people on GAF. It is pretty sad...

qcf x2

My point isn't that the criticism is undeserved. The vast majority of it is. My point is that I have a lot of doubt that some (not all) of the people actively criticizing the game have any desire to ever see it actually do things right, and are simply enjoying finding more reasons to hate it. There's constructive criticism and then there's just being a hater for the sake of hating.

I am genuinely curious how many people actively criticizing the game in every new thread about it have the intention to ever buy it and play it for more than a week, once it's actually "complete."

I don't see why critical opinions necessarily have to be constructive on a gaming forum, this isn't a workplace evaluation. Also, let's say Capcom releases a version that is, as you say, "complete" 2 yrs from now. Who is gonna be excited to buy a 3 yr old game with nothing but sharks roaming the online waters? And then for those that do, you're concerned with how long they play for...?

Also what does it matter if somebody has a desire to see SFV do well? Why should they, if they feel Capcom doesn't?

Hating SFV has essentially become a hobby for some people on GAF. It is pretty sad...

You know, though, when Capcom makes doing so an easy layup...

...and I was hoping to jump in on the PC version. Looks like I'll hold back and see how this shakes out...or for a Steam sale to make it more reasonable.

MrCarter

?

I stick by my statement. SFV still isn't a game for casuals. It still has a lack of modes including the #1 casual mode there is "Arcade Mode." Check out Tekken games, Netherrealm games for what they need for casual players. The only people saying "SFV is casual-friendly now" are probably those who either heavily play the game and/or are deep in the FGC.

SFV isn't it for casual players.

In your opinion.

SFV still has a lot of "casual" content besides a typical arcade mode such as story, cinematic, trials, weekly challenges and a "causal" online mode so to say it "isn't for casuals" is a ridiculous claim.

emag

I am genuinely curious how many people actively criticizing the game in every new thread about it have the intention to ever buy it and play it for more than a week, once it's actually "complete."

How many of the people criticizing it already bought it and played it for [more than] a week? Quite a few, myself included.

Bundles like these are meant to lure in naive consumers who see the "hype" and the discount percentage and think they're getting a bargain. But there's nothing there for casual/new players. Having additional characters that you can get stomped on playing online is worthless. The single player content is tedious garbage, worse than what F2P games "pay" you to play. The number of new players who are going to actually enjoy or get competitive in the game at this point is negligible. And anyone who was interested in playing pro/semi-pro already has the game.

Pompadour

They absolutely are.

You act like Killer Instinct was only F2P, when there was absolutely multiple packages for the game, including discounted Season bundle packs, and multiple retail discs as well (Combo Break Pack and Definitive Edition share retail space). So when you say "of course it's $40 now", there are viable physical releases of the game to compete with that exist. And, of course, it's base season 1 crew launched at $20, because that's a very fair entry price for a "games as a service" model.

SFV is still absolutely based on the same "games as a service" model, only without the coexisting and viable entry price point. It's priced as a full-price retail game, but its business model is still geared around driving players to purchase DLC, just as Killer Instinct does.

But arguing content vs. price, Killer Instinct was never priced as exorbitantly high as Street Fighter V was in any incarnation. It may end up with fewer characters, but its price is vastly more reasonable per character, and each character came accompanied with their own stage, unique costumes, and a surplus of other substantial content to sweeten the pot.

And characters aren't the only source of content. Killer Instinct still has a surplus of gameplay modes and unlockables that easily dwarf Street Fighter V's offerings, despite the price differences (it also has *gasp!* an actual Arcade Mode!).

Beyond that, yes, they are also both fighting games, and both good ones, and can and should be compared to one another. Their rosters, gameplay, modes, and business models can and should be weighed against one another and, in my personal opinion, one of them clearly offers more bang for my buck than the other does.

I want SFV to turn things around. I'm rooting for it. But that "bundle" at that price is going me instant sticker shock. That is not a good entry price for new players wishing to get caught up.

The primary point of my comment is that the comparison was poor because Killer Instinct is a game that came out 3 years ago and SFV is a game that came out 10 months ago (and one of the Season Passes is for a DLC Season that started 2 days ago). It's unreasonable to think that a game that's not even a year old should be similarly priced to a game that was an Xbox One launch title. And they're certainly not in competition with one another being that they're console exclusives for different consoles. So in that regard the comparison is unfair. The point you're replying to was something I tacked on to demonstrate that even with three years of post-launch support that the game wasn't miles ahead of V in content.

I think if people expected Season Passes that are less than a week old to be 50% off a few days after the season started they'd be mocked if this was any other game. But here the prevailing argument is that since SFV is a sinking ship people can demand that everything be $20 because "casual players won't buy it otherwise" and without casual players SFV is doomed. And I don't see any evidence to this being true.

Garlador

In your opinion.

SFV still has a lot of "casual" content besides a typical arcade mode such as story, cinematic, trials, weekly challenges and a "causal" online mode so to say it "isn't for casuals" is a ridiculous claim.

It's missing the most popular casual modes other fighters have, and what it does have is what many others would call "the bare minimum".

It's as valid as saying Titanfall 1 had a single-player mode. It did... barely. You can still tell where the vast majority of their focus was spent.

The primary point of my comment is that the comparison was poor because Killer Instinct is a game that came out 3 years ago and SFV is a game that came out 10 months ago (and one of the Season Passes is for a DLC Season that started 2 days ago). It's unreasonable to think that a game that's not even a year old should be similarly priced to a game that was an Xbox One launch title. And they're certainly not in competition with one another being that they're console exclusives for different consoles. So in that regard the comparison is unfair. The point you're replying to was something I tacked on to demonstrate that even with three years of post-launch support that the game wasn't miles ahead of V in content.
It sort of is currently, and it was priced more fairly as it built up that content. That was my point.

But it's still competition because some players DO own multiple systems (myself included) or make console-buying decisions based on an exclusive (Killer Instinct is a great Xbox exclusive). And while it's 3 years old, SFV is no longer some spring chicken either. It's 10 months old now. In this same stretch of time last gen, Capcom would've released Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 after MvC or Super Street Fighter IV after SFIV... and they weren't released at $80 either, and the game then included more characters than SFV will after season 2 concludes.

I don't even have to compare it to Killer Instinct. I can compare it to its own predecessors and it still comes up lacking.

I think if people expected Season Passes that are less than a week old to be 50% off a few days after the season started they'd be mocked if this was any other game. But here the prevailing argument is that since SFV is a sinking ship people can demand that everything be $20 because "casual players won't buy it otherwise" and without casual players SFV is doomed. And I don't see any evidence to this being true.
Even factoring in Season 2's price, that means that the retail game and the season pass for Season 1 have only a negligible price cut. It is far cheaper to just find a retail copy of the main game for sub-$20 and get both Season Passes at full price, and it comes out cheaper than this "bundle" is. That's why it's a bad deal, because it's more expensive than what you can currently find on the market.

Dremark

Banned
If it had come out in the arcade there would be even more naming possibilities!

what could have been

We could have gotten Ultra Super Street Fighter V' Revenge Accent Core EX Plus Alpha Encore Again - Champion Edition

Why did the arcades have to die in the West?

I don't see why critical opinions necessarily have to be constructive on a gaming forum, this isn't a workplace evaluation. Also, let's say Capcom releases a version that is, as you say, "complete" 2 yrs from now. Who is gonna be excited to buy a 3 yr old game with nothing but sharks roaming the online waters? And then for those that do, you're concerned with how long they play for...?

Also what does it matter if somebody has a desire to see SFV do well? Why should they, if they feel Capcom doesn't?

I just honestly don't understand what people actually want out of it. Anyone interested in online play is already playing it. If they just want it to play with friends, there's zero reason to complain about the state the game is in, because Vs mode and Battle Lounges are fine. If they're looking for a disposable game to play in a weekend or whatever, there's enough in the game for that and a cheap enough entry point, consistently $30 or less retail.

It seems that the people that have the most reason to complain right now are the ones who want a single player game that has long-term sustainable content, that can be played in a bubble, and fighting games are probably the worst genre for that kind of thing, anyway. That said, SFV is definitely lacking in that area even compared to fighting games from 20 years ago.

I want to see the game bounce back. It sucks to see a game you genuinely love and believe is one of the best of its genre at a fundamental gameplay level get constantly trashed online. I just want to know if there's an actual endgame to this in most peoples' minds, that's all.

kobu

are people trolling? it's a bundle with the game and both season passes why is everyone losing their shit?

Garlador

Because there's a bundle?
are people trolling? it's a bundle with the game and both season passes why is everyone losing their shit?

Because the bundle price is really high and not a very entry-level friendly price for new players whatsoever.

Even Destiny's Complete Edition has all the Season Passes and content at a regular retail game price.

vg260

In your opinion.

On paper perhaps, if you want to mark a few check boxes. In actuality, I think it's fair to say it still is not very welcoming for casuals at this point.

Dremark

Banned
Because the bundle price is really high and not a very entry-level friendly price for new players whatsoever.

Even Destiny's Complete Edition has all the Season Passes and content at a regular retail game price.

And people complain that existing owners of Destiny get screwed.

cordy

Banned
In your opinion.

"Besides typical Arcade Mode" lol.

Sorry bruh, I've got 9 different people who I tried to get the game and each of them said "when it has Arcade Mode let me know and I'll get it and play with you" and when that happens? It's not my opinion anymore, it's the consensus, hell even listen to guys like UltraDavid and Max on this matter. You saying this is only because you're the type of person I was mentioning before, you're saying it because you're already heavily invested into this game and you love it. You're not the casual player in this case, you're on the other side so your opinion towards what they want is the same as Capcom's. The same Capcom that shipped this game out day 1.

SFV isn't welcoming for casuals. Anyone who thinks that is already heavily deep into SFV already.

fresquito

I just honestly don't understand what people actually want out of it. Anyone interested in online play is already playing it.
Actually, I would like the online to not suck so hard. I would like Capcom to fix shit that has been there from day one as well. I don't think it is so hard to understand.

I love the core gameplay, but the game, as a whole, is garbage and I hate myself for keeping playing it. Yes, when it works, it's so good, but it doesn't work all that often.

Sorry bruh, I've got 9 different people who I tried to get the game and each of them said "when it has Arcade Mode let me know and I'll get it and play with you" and when that happens? It's not my opinion anymore, it's the consensus, hell even listen to guys like UltraDavid and Max on this matter. You saying this is only because you're the type of person I was mentioning before, you're saying it because you're already heavily invested into this game and you love it. You're not the casual player in this case, you're on the other side so your opinion towards what they want is the same as Capcom's. The same Capcom that shipped this game out day 1.

SFV isn't welcoming for casuals. Anyone who thinks that is already heavily deep into SFV already.
Don't waste your time. I've come to realise that most FGC members will never understand why their beloved genre went from being industry leader to niche at best.

Garlador

And people complain that existing owners of Destiny get screwed.

Repeat for every single game to every get a GOTY edition.

Their complains have always been invalid. People who wait for better deals and price drops don't entitle day-one adopters to anything more than earlier access.

It's been that way for every product since long before the games industry existed.

Pejo

Gold Member
Lol, Truly the VALUE PRICE of 79.99 is what will bring this game back into the fold.

Capcom seem like they are doing the old ostrich "head in the sand" approach with this game for some reason. I mean they had a perfect chance to release this as "super" with the same content at 59.99. Fucking idiotic.

Mesoian

In your opinion.

The problem is all of that stuff is bad.

If you're not there to play against people online or locally, SF5's additional offerings are laughably terrible.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
It still boggles my mind how they expect people to shell out $30 for a season pass with 5/6 unknowns. Complete unknowns.

But people do so that's how it happens.

MrCarter

It's missing the most popular casual modes other fighters have, and what it does have is what many others would call "the bare minimum".

It's as valid as saying Titanfall 1 had a single-player mode. It did... barely. You can still tell where the vast majority of their focus was spent.

I think some of GAF are simply using arcade mode (which is the only mode that's missing tbh) as a base to attack the game and I highly doubt, when this mode releases, they would even touch it after playing through it a couple times. I'ts come to the point where I can't even take GAF objectively seriously anymore when it comes to SFV because if having that mode is as popular then why isn't GG, KOF and BB more successful? I'll let you why. Because, people care about gameplay first and foremost rather than anything else.

Actually, I would like the online to not suck so hard. I would like Capcom to fix shit that has been there from day one as well. I don't think it is so hard to understand.

I love the core gameplay, but the game, as a whole, is garbage and I hate myself for keeping playing it. Yes, when it works, it's so good, but it doesn't work all that often.

Don't waste your time. I've come to realise that most FGC members will never understand why their beloved genre went from being industry leader to niche at best.

I might be in a minority that's had a good experience with the online, then, but I stick mostly to playing people I know locally in Battle Lounges. I've only played Casual/Ranked in a few binges.

And I completely get why the genre is niche. Fighting games are pretty bad at motivating/rewarding people beyond "You got better."

That's different from the point I was trying to make. People can criticize the game all they want and there is plenty of things to criticize. I just don't believe commenters who matter-of-factly declare Capcom's business practices as idiotic and doomed to fail know what they're talking about and they're not presenting evidence to support claims that SFV's business model is faulty. Now, I have no evidence that it's successful but SFV is getting new content and is clearly staying tbe course so I have very little reason to believe Capcom is somehow blind to SFV being a failure and that they're just throwing good money after bad now.

Now, one can certainly argue that SFV is anti-consumer but I believe people claiming it's bad business is people realizing no one really gives a shit when they say "I, as a consumer, won't purchase this game and this price" so they attempt to give their internet comment more weight by trying to speak for a group of people.

SFV was designed to bring in new players. I would have to imagine that failing at that has an effect on business. A deluxe edition for $80 is not going to help.

New content is useless. New characters without a refreshed release like a Super or Ultra is useless. Hell, they sell new stages and then immediately turn around and ban them from their tournament events! There's idiocy abound, and I see no reason to discredit the criticism.

Hutchie

It still boggles my mind how they expect people to shell out $30 for a season pass with 5/6 unknowns. Complete unknowns.

It is a risk but the new characters made for sfv i feel have been good (well better than sfiv anyway)

novabolt

That could be said for all extreme communities of all genres though. One thing, I still don't understand is how can a fighting game be exclusive in this day and age?

cordy

Banned
Yeah, I've given up on those people.

I've been playing SF since 2 Turbo and the fact is it hurts seeing what's happened to the series. Even more so some people will never understand why. By far my least played SF ever.

Same people saying "SFV is ok for casuals now" are some of the same people saying they're ok with the 5 brand new characters. They'll never understand that most people want characters they're familiar with over brand new guys.

emag

I just honestly don't understand what people actually want out of it.

It seems that the people that have the most reason to complain right now are the ones who want a single player game that has long-term sustainable content, that can be played in a bubble... SFV is definitely lacking in that area even compared to fighting games from 20 years ago.

It seems like you do understand. Where's World Tour mode? Where's [Reverse] Dramatic Battle? Where's Arcade mode? Where is the great music, quick button response, flashy gameplay, and fast UI?

What wrong with trials?

"Practice doing these exact button inputs with perfect timing (that don't actually work in the current game)" mode is not quality single-player content. It's tedium for the sake of tedium.

Pompadour

I just honestly don't understand what people actually want out of it. Anyone interested in online play is already playing it. If they just want it to play with friends, there's zero reason to complain about the state the game is in, because Vs mode and Battle Lounges are fine. If they're looking for a disposable game to play in a weekend or whatever, there's enough in the game for that and a cheap enough entry point, consistently $30 or less retail.

It seems that the people that have the most reason to complain right now are the ones who want a single player game that has long-term sustainable content, that can be played in a bubble, and fighting games are probably the worst genre for that kind of thing, anyway. That said, SFV is definitely lacking in that area even compared to fighting games from 20 years ago.

I want to see the game bounce back. It sucks to see a game you genuinely love and believe is one of the best of its genre at a fundamental gameplay level get constantly trashed online. I just want to know if there's an actual endgame to this in most peoples' minds, that's all.

People's big issue with the game is that it offends them. Despite DLC being a common part of gaming for two generations now there's a lot of people who have an axe to grind regarding DLC and Capcom games are a prime target. They don't like the pricing, they don't like that the retail game doesn't contain everything that will ever be created for SFV, and they don't like the F2P style model being attached to a retail game. As these are people who post on GAF a lot of them have overarching concerns with how the industry is ran and Capcom is a company that embodies a lot of the business practices they believe is ruining gaming.

I agree with you a lot of these people don't have interest in Street Fighter V and likely wouldn't have picked it up regardless. They're invested in its success (or specifically its failure) because they see it as a battle. If they win and SFV fails then what they perceive as predatory business practices will be dealt a blow and companies will have to adjust and become more consumer friendly.

I think this thought process is epitomized by any commenter that says "I'll just wait for the complete version." The core fighting game fan doesn't want a Street Fighter or Guilty Gear or Tekken game to just be released and not receive updates for 5 years until the next numbered entry is released. Fighting games rarely ever get it right on the first try and the fans who spend the most time and money on them understand this. What would we have been left with if Street Fighter 3: New Generation or Vanilla SF4 stopped updating after launch? The answer is mediocre games people would have stopped playing after a year or two.

So even if these people who shitpost that they'll wait for Ultra Super SFV are sincere and would buy the game they should not be catered to. And they can't be catered to becsuse the Ultra Super SFV they're waiting to buy for $30 wouldn't exist if the people who spend hundreds of hours playing Street Fighter didn't invest the money and interest needed to continue development. These guys are paying considerably less than us and are complaining about it.

SFV was designed to bring in new players. I would have to imagine that failing at that has an effect on business. A deluxe edition for $80 is not going to help.

New content is useless. New characters without a refreshed release like a Super or Ultra is useless. Hell, they sell new stages and then immediately turn around and ban them from their tournament events! There's idiocy abound, and I see no reason to discredit the criticism.

How much does it cost Capcom to list that digital bundle on the PS store? I'm sure it's not nothing but I can't imagine it's costly for Capcom. It isn't a physical re-release taking up shelf space. It's a bundle that is trying to capture a portion of people who may be interested in SFV but were waiting for more content and/or a cheaper price. And when Capcom thinks they made the most they can at that price point they'll put it on sale. And a year from now it will be replaced by a new bundle including Season 3 that will cost $80 or even less.

There's also the issue that immediately dropping the price of their recently released Season Pass signals to fence sitters that it's better to wait as it'll drop further in price eventually. This does not benefit Capcom.

In regards to your second point, I think SFV's focus on casual players has been a little overstated and I don't believe SFV's success relies on them. I'll break up what I consider Capcom's thoughts on casual players in a few points.

1) Capcom isn't going to leave money on the table. There are definitely people who just want to buy the new Street Fighter and screw around in single player with it. These people aren't the focus of their business model but they do exist and it's idiotic to state that they don't want these players. I think Capcom's appeals to these players are mostly lip service and if their roadmap for SFV prior to launch includes plans through 2020 then they definitely are an afterthought. These players buy the game initially, which is great for Capcom as they pay $60 upfront, but that's where it ends. They drop the game, don't purchase DLC, and all future development relies on core gamers who continually play and purchase DLC.

2) Capcom needs casual players to keep the brand healthy. If SF wants to succeed as a brand they need new blood. So that's why we got some gameplay changes like the 3f buffer as 1 and 2f links were an unnecessary skill check that put a lot of players of intermediate skill off. I'll concede that a few people who bought the game to fuck around in single player may stick with it but most of them won't so the focus on casuals is more that Capcom wants to turn casual players into devoted players, they want more people interested in SF as an eSport, and they likely realize that many of the big names in pro SFV are in their 30s so they have to groom a new generation to replace them. The bigger focus on ease of execution and online play are steps in that direction.

3) Here's where I think Capcom is ultimately going with SFV. SFV was rushed and sold as a full-price game with an F2P model because they wanted to eat their cake and have it, too. What I believe will happen is that SFV will become F2P (or so cheap that the entry point is almost non-existent) and that will draw in casuap players that can turn into devoted players.

I believe these players Capcom wants are of more value to the casual player that wants to spend money on SFV once and then be done with it because they're building a player base that will continually spend money on the series. Street Fighter, and fighting games in general, is very difficult to get into but not impossible. I feel like the consumers from point 1) are typically older and have more money than time whereas the players I'm talking about now are young, teenage or college aged, who have much more free time than money. If SFV is F2P then the only barrier to entry is the time it takes to get good. Which is fine because if you get hundreds of thousands of people to just "try" your difficult game then a percentage will stick around. The ease in execution and focus on online play is targeted to these players.

So my belief is SFV will get cheaper and cheaper, picking up more players as it goes, until it's free and a lot more people get invested into it.

I think a lot of people give it shit because it could have been so much better.A lot criticize it for the bad business practices that they see hurting a beloved franchise. I can't blame people for not wanting to support that. A lot of early buyers still feel burned by the months of bullshit after release. I'm one of them. I don't care if it's gotten better over 10 months. I'm happy for those who still play and enjoy the game but I don't want Capcom getting the idea that their rush to market and price gouging is an acceptable business strategy. That some how all will be forgiven if the game is eventually good. I should have had the story mode and arcade mode at launch. The online should have been working within the first two weeks, ideally at launch. But Capcom has had a history of shitty business strategies since the beginning of the HD/online age of gaming and it has come to a boiling point with SFV and people are sick of it. I want a good, functioning product from day one and if the game is going to do dlc I want it reasonably priced. I don't want MvC to launch like SFV. I don't want any game to launch like that. So anytime SFV is mentioned I'm going to call out all it's bullshit, whether it been fixed or not because it shouldn't be forgotten or swept under the rug because,"Well it's better now, so stop bitching about it."

RS4-

I've been playing SF since 2 Turbo and the fact is it hurts seeing what's happened to the series. Even more so some people will never understand why. By far my least played SF ever.

I haven't dropped an SF game this quick, ever. If I knew the game was gonna turn out this way, I wouldn't have bothered with it at all lol.

Is this going to become the next "the SF5 CPT DLC is too expensive, no one will buy it...except as it turns out, a lot of people actually bought it"?

If you think it's too expensive, don't buy it. There are plenty of ways to earn in game Fight Money and get the characters you want for free.

However, if you're a late comer and want everything right now, then this bundle is for you.

Pretty simple.

vg260

People's big issue with the game is that it offends them. Despite DLC being a common part of gaming for two generations now there's a lot of people who have an axe to grind regarding DLC and Capcom games are a prime target. They don't like the pricing, they don't like that the retail game doesn't contain everything that will ever be created for SFV, and they don't like the F2P style model being attached to a retail game. As these are people who post on GAF a lot of them have overarching concerns with how the industry is ran and Capcom is a company that embodies a lot of the business practices they believe is ruining gaming.

I agree with you a lot of these people don't have interest in Street Fighter V and likely wouldn't have picked it up regardless. They're invested in its success (or specifically its failure) because they see it as a battle. If they win and SFV fails then what they perceive as predatory business practices will be dealt a blow and companies will have to adjust and become more consumer friendly.

I think this thought process is epitomized by any commenter that says "I'll just wait for the complete version." The core fighting game fan doesn't want a Street Fighter or Guilty Gear or Tekken game to just be released and not receive updates for 5 years until the next numbered entry is released. Fighting games rarely ever get it right on the first try and the fans who spend the most time and money on them understand this. What would we have been left with if Street Fighter 3: New Generation or Vanilla SF4 stopped updating after launch? The answer is mediocre games people would have stopped playing after a year or two.

So even if these people who shitpost that they'll wait for Ultra Super SFV are sincere and would buy the game they should not be catered to. And they can't be catered to becsuse the Ultra Super SFV they're waiting to buy for $30 wouldn't exist if the people who spend hundreds of hours playing Street Fighter didn't invest the money and interest needed to continue development. These guys are paying considerably less than us and are complaining about it.

I agree with most of this. I just hope Capcom is not bushing off ALL criticism as this, because their execution has still been awful.

Dremark

Banned
Repeat for every single game to every get a GOTY edition.

Their complains have always been invalid. People who wait for better deals and price drops don't entitle day-one adopters to anything more than earlier access.

I'll agree but that doesn't mean that people won't complain. Every time a new Arcsys fighting game version people complain that the game isn't being dealt with like SFV.

Honestly a single release every couple of years like Tekken seems to be the only non drama way to release a fighting game. Admittedly it's not a bad way to do it but as someone who plays these games a lot I like having new content added.

It's the game for $20 and the 2 season passes with it. I don't think anyone is expecting this to move a ton of copies it's just a bundle.

I think a lot of people give it shit because it could have been so much better.A lot criticize it for the bad business practices that they see hurting a beloved franchise. I can't blame people for not wanting to support that. A lot of early buyers still feel burned by the months of bullshit after release. I'm one of them. I don't care if it's gotten better over 10 months. I'm happy for those who still play and enjoy the game but I don't want Capcom getting the idea that their rush to market and price gouging is an acceptable business strategy. That some how all will be forgiven if the game is eventually good. I should have had the story mode and arcade mode at launch. The online should have been working within the first two weeks, ideally at launch. But Capcom has had a history of shitty business strategies since the beginning of the HD/online age of gaming and it has come to a boiling point with SFV and people are sick of it. I want a good, functioning product from day one and if the game is going to do dlc I want it reasonably priced. I don't want MvC to launch like SFV. I don't want any game to launch like that. So anytime SFV is mentioned I'm going to call out all it's bullshit, whether it been fixed or not because it shouldn't be forgotten or swept under the rug because,"Well it's better now, so stop bitching about it."

Yeah, rushing the game to launch for the sake of the Capcom Pro Tour is a mistake I hope they never make again. I'm happy they seem to be acknowledging it as a mistake with MvC:I, but I hope it doesn't take a new numbered sequel for Street Fighter to recover. Gameplay-wise, SFV would be terrible to throw away, especially with the system changes in season 2.

MrCarter

Again. Opinions, how do they work? Just because you think something doesn't mean it's a fact because let me tell you something "bruh". It isn't. Stop trying to use other people's opinions on the game (such as the sensationalist Max and the overrated UltraDavid) and use it to backup your never ending narrative that SFV is "doomed" because it doesn't have a Arcade mode, it's actually pathetic now. I actually WANT the game to be more successful and catered towards the "casuals" so to say I want the same as Capcom is again, ridulous. There is no "us" and "them casuals" and I think the majority of the SFV FGC crowd on here want Capcom to appeal to a bigger casual crowd.

The problem is all of that stuff is bad.

If you're not there to play against people online or locally, SF5's additional offerings are laughably terrible.

I don't think they are necessarily bad. They have story, cinematic, survival, trials, weekly challenges, VS CPU and "casual" online so it's not like they have nothing to offer them. An arcade mode would help to appease some minfs but I doubt it will help the sales, you just have to look at all those other fighters with an arcade mode to conclude that.

Honestly a single release every couple of years like Tekken seems to be the only non drama way to release a fighting game.

Tekken players have been going crazy because Japan and Korea have been playing Tekken 7 for TWO YEARS, while the western world can just sit and watch.

Going 5 years without new content kills your scene, and to say there's been "no drama" in the Tekken world because of this is flat false. People have been super salty. They still are, because a release date still hasn't been offered.

Dremark

Banned
Yeah, rushing the game to launch for the sake of the Capcom Pro Tour is a mistake I hope they never make again.

I still think it's hilarious people think that's the reason it launched when it did and not Capcom's financials. It makes tons of sense that they'd put the game out early to please maybe a few hundred players rather than numbers for thier stakeholders.

I think the main issue comes down to this. A lot of people remember playing SF in the arcades and all they want is an arcade mode plus a few other modes to relive that nostalgia and then move on. SFV doesn't really have the content for this. This leeds directly into the real issue. Fighting games are just not as popular to play online casually as FPS games by an order of magnitude.

Take overwatch as a comparison.
It has no single player
It has really great gameplay
It has limited modes and maps
It has interesting and varied character design

This sounds increadibly similar to how you could describe SFV. The biggest difference is that a team based FPS game like Overwatch has an increadibly low barrier to entry. If you play bad your team can carry you. If you team loses you can blame everyone else. You can play a whole round and just be happy you got a few kills and got some exp at the end. It wont even burden you with negative stats.

Fighting games are much harder to get into online. Its just you Vs one other person so no one else to blame accept Mr Lag. New people who dont know how to play will get destroyed unless they put the practise in and this can be very demoralising. This leeds to those people to go back to a point where they just want to play arcade mode, see the fun ending and then put the game away till some friends come over maybe or the next game comesout.

Basically Fighting games are in a bit of a rock and a hard place. Capcom can either try to cater to this croud and re package the game to get those sales in. Or they can cater to the fan base and try and find a way to make enough money of them to sustain and profit from the game.

I honestly have no idea whats the right approach. I personally think SF has been terrible for single player only for ages compared to otehr fighting games but It also plays the best (to my tastes) by quite a long way.

The only thing I can think of is make a Free To Play base game that is online modes and training with 2 characters rotating each week. Then people can buy individual characters or packs for starter 16, season 1 and season 2. Maybe an unlock price for single player modes. At the very least that would get a lot of new players to try it and maybe learn to play online. It also needs a tutorial worth a damn that can explain how to not loose to constant DP's and other basic stuff that a lot of Rookies / lower bronze players do because its those guys who body the very new players and they arnt even good at the game.

I still think it's hilarious people think that's the reason it launched when it did and not Capcom's financials. It makes tons of sense that they'd put the game out early to please maybe a few hundred players rather than numbers for thier stakeholders.

The reality is probably a bit of both, and they're not mutually exclusive. Capcom was looking at launching SFV in the Pro Tour as a way to increase their E-Sports presence, which obviously is in the interest of making money.

So what? It's just a bundle. Why is the sky suddenly falling because a game has a bad bundle? When other companies do this people just laugh at them but seemingly SFV offends people.

MrCarter

Same people saying "SFV is ok for casuals now" are some of the same people saying they're ok with the 5 brand new characters. They'll never understand that most people want characters they're familiar with over brand new guys.

Yeah and 2 Turbo has ONLY an arcade mode. You can carry on with the "play me a violin, Capcom have ripped me off, poor me" victim routine but I don't think someone like you will understand how SFV has actually come leaps and bounds when it comes to a technical standpoint in terms of gameplay since that game. Also regarding new characters, what a few people say are not representative of what "most" people want and since SFV will go on till at least 2021 then people should be patient for thier faves and welcome fresh newcomers with new playstyles.

Top Bottom