• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SFV: 2017 Deluxe Edition includes Season 1&2. $79.99 (On Sale: $47 on Steam)

Dremark

Banned
Capcom SFV pricing is horrible for less content, NOW you don't have to purchase anything, you can grind your brains out for FM, but this requires a ton of time and major patience, if you an early adopter, base game, S1, and S2 cost $120 for 28 characters 5 of those yet to be released, only 23 available right now, major SFV competition on the horizon Tekken 7 has 35 characters...

T7 base game 35 for $60.
SFV base game 16 for $60.

Even if you count all the palette swap characters in T7 they still have more characters at launch than SFV..

Doesn't Tekken 7 only have 34 characters outside Japan?

:)

When Super SFIV came out, I wasn't really playing fighting games much, but I was a little interested to jump back in. While out shopping one day, a buddy of mine just bought it for me just to get me to practice and play against him, I think it was $40 new. From that point I got back into fighting games and have since bought just about every other FG released since then. Simpler times.

That kind of thing probably isn't happening these days. So much for SF being that welcoming gateway to fighting games. Now you have to buy the base game, then figure out what DLC you want, which characters to buy or grind FM for which is another complication, etc. because nobody is buying this kind of 'bundled' shit for that kind of money.

myco666

Nah.

While I agree with your method (I've been saying it heavily), Capcom's pretty much said "fuck the casuals for this game from now on and we're going all in with the hardcore crowd" hence what they're doing. They don't care about casuals trying to get into this game anymore, they're not showing they do. Hell, most of the FGC that I've personally seen talk about it have no problem with that since they're playing the game and they love it, they don't care about casuals jumping in since they've got their own ecosystem. You can even see the comments on this forum from people who play this game daily. Capcom fucked up, they've admitted it repeatedly, they've failed with a lot of things related around this game but one thing they're not gonna do is just do anything for the casual plays from this point on it seems or at least compared to the hardcore. It's like people are saying "cheer up, yeah they fucked up but this game's just got stuff for us, maybe you can try it next time" or something.

It's sad but yeah casuals just aren't for SF anymore. Horrible it ended up like this.

Hope that MvCI give casuals what they need.

This is a pretty ridiculous claim. Capcom has added more stuff for the casuals than hardcore/fgc crowd. Cinematic Story, Trials, Demonstrations and Vs. CPU are all more meant for casual players. Competitive gamers got server fixes and 8 player lobbies after launch.

Capcom SFV pricing is horrible for less content, NOW you don't have to purchase anything, you can grind your brains out for FM, but this requires a ton of time and major patience, if you an early adopter, base game, S1, and S2 cost $120 for 28 characters 5 of those yet to be released, only 23 available right now, major SFV competition on the horizon Tekken 7 has 35 characters...

T7 base game 35 for $60.

Even if you count all the palette swap characters in T7 they still have more characters at launch than SFV..

How many characters T7 had in 2015 when it was first released in arcades though? Namco has been making money since then so they can put more money and develop more stuff. Don't think this is a fair comparison.

There will never be a SSFV, right?

Instead, we'll have a watered-down SSFW, but at DOUBLE THE COST! And we can release another one in a year and not get yelled at for calling it Ultra or Arcade or whatever! We can just call it 2018!

Surely this will print money and be the path to the game's revival.

/s

I honestly am in disbelief that they want $80. It would have trouble selling at $40. Come on now, Capcom.

80 is bit much for sure but 40? Maybe for base game + season 1 but having season 2 in that would be crazy.

Kureransu

Hey guys just a heads up! If you go to steam and go to buy the holiday bundle, they will prorate the price based on what you already own. If I recall correctly, if you only have the base game and go to buy the bundle, it'll be about 36 bucks for the two passes. If you have the game and s1 character pass, s2 will come out to be around $21.75 or something close to that.

Pompadour

T7 base game 35 for $60.

That isn't the "base" version of Tekken 7. The base version will have been out for 2 years by the time we get the console version you are referring to. Wait until February 16th, 2018 and see how much SFV is going for and how many characters that package offers to get a more accurate comparison.

Seik

Banned
If the goal here is to have more casuals buying it, it won't work, 80$ is too much and the game is kinda old already. Newcomers won't see the value.

Me? I totally see it, but I'm waiting for a physical edition.

swarley64

Well if they are trying to get new players like me interested in SFV they are failing miserably at that price point... Does the game have a decent single player component yet?

Neoxon

Well if they are trying to get new players like me interested in SFV they are failing miserably at that price point... Does the game have a decent single player component yet?
Yes, actually. While Arcade Mode isn't here yet (emphasis on yet, as it's on the way), it now has a few extras for single-player (namely the new Cinematic Story Mode).

You can just as easily get the game for $20 at certain places, get the 2016 Character Pass for another $20, & earn everyone in Season 2 with Fight Money.

This was just the original price of the Deluxe edition... Only thing changed is they added the S2's character pass on to it.

And yes the Deluxe edition has gone on sale several times before.

Story mode is hot ass. The plot is garbage and the fights themselves, while functional, don't actually accommodate a new player to who they're playing or attempt to engage you in any way beyond "you are playing ryu and fighting dhalsim. Now you are playing balrog fighting chun li. Now you are nash fighting bison".

The AI is pitiful on normal, and on hard they are flawless combo gods that take large amounts of health off a single hit confirm but still get tripped by projectile spam and sweep spam. Play for easy fight money I guess, but it definitely isn't fun.

I have both SPs and I know they don't include premium costumes, so I wanted Laura's Christmas Costume, but it's $3.99! Fuck that!

I wanted Akuma's stage and I only have 39k FM, but it costs 70k FM or $3.99! Fuck that again!

That's just too much

Back in USFIV it was possible to have all the costumes at a reasonably price. On SFV is impossible

MrCarter

When UltraDavid says that everything about SFV other than the game mechanics is shit, you kind of have to expect a little warranted negativity in SFV threads.

I think he's a little overrated and talks hyperbole at times. The bundle here makes sense in terms of pricing and it's not a new "release" of the game but only has the added DLC so I'm not sure why people are moaning about it when they won't buy it anyway. Must be a comprehension issue.

Pompadour

When UltraDavid says that everything about SFV other than the game mechanics is shit, you kind of have to expect a little warranted negativity in SFV threads.

Did he actually say everything other than the game mechanics is "shit", though? This is a sincere question and I wouldn't be surprised if he did so this isn't me challenging you.

I don't think everything but the game mechanics in SFV is terrible but it doesn't do anything the best of any current fighting game. It does a lot of things poorly, a lot of things alright, a lot of things good, a few things great, and perhaps nothing the best among its contemporaries. Perhaps the only thing I'd say Street Fighter V does the best is its character animation which is, frankly, stellar.

But I think it does lots of things better than its competitors but there's one or more games that exceed it in almost every category. For instance, GGXrd may look better and play better than SFV but I'd argue GGXrd's netcode is worse. But that doesn't matter because SFV's netcode isn't the best because KI and Skullgirls exist.

He said the launch. The game is substantially different from release and the promise to add more content is there.

No. He said that it needs to be reworked and re-released, from smaller issues like the 2P post match options to bigger ones like online performance. You could tell he meant literally everything sucks except for the game mechanics- visuals, loading times, DLC/pay model- everything. He flat out said small tweaks and new characters/stages isn't going to do anything.

Did he actually say everything other than the game mechanics is "shit", though? This is a sincere question and I wouldn't be surprised if he did so this isn't me challenging you.

He did.

myco666

Depends on what you think is decent. IMO the Story stuff is dumb fun. Really liked the Cinematic story and Characters stories are okay. I also love trials in all fighting games and there are bunch now (10 for each character). Survival is hot garbage though.

Story mode is hot ass. The plot is garbage and the fights themselves, while functional, don't actually accommodate a new player to who they're playing or attempt to engage you in any way beyond "you are playing ryu and fighting dhalsim. Now you are playing balrog fighting chun li. Now you are nash fighting bison".

The AI is pitiful on normal, and on hard they are flawless combo gods that take large amounts of health off a single hit confirm but still get tripped by projectile spam and sweep spam. Play for easy fight money I guess, but it definitely isn't fun.

And this differs from other fighting game stories how? All FG stories are dumb.

Street Fighter® V - 2017 Deluxe Edition
Street Fighter® V - 2017 Deluxe Edition Turbo
Super Street Fighter® V - 2017 Deluxe Edition
Super Street Fighter® V - 2017 Deluxe Edition Turbo

Arkeband

Banned
I have both SPs and I know they don't include premium costumes, so I wanted Laura's Christmas Costume, but it's $3.99! Fuck that!

I wanted Akuma's stage and I only have 39k FM, but it costs 70k FM or $3.99! Fuck that again!

That's just too much

Back in USFIV it was possible to have all the costumes at a reasonably price. On SFV is impossible

For casual players it's impossible, pros will go "just do the 100-battle survival modes, bro!" as if that's an option.

brb spending an hour and a half grinding battles just to lose in the last stretch and gain absolutely nothing.

Hutchie

For casual players it's impossible, pros will go "just do the 100-battle survival modes, bro!" as if that's an option.

brb spending an hour and a half grinding battles just to lose in the last stretch and gain absolutely nothing.

Story, survival (easy and normal) trials and dailies are all do able even for casuals and if they have season passes will give more than enough fm to buy the content they want.

Yay another sfv hate topic and the misinformed still saying "i'll wait for the super edition"...yawn

I strongly suspect once the Super edition/relaunch is released, a large portion of haters are going to shift gears into "Now Capcom just went back to the same old shit we had to deal with before!" or "Too little, too late, Capcom!" Just like a lot of people are probably waiting for arcade mode just so they can trash the game for the lack of endings/lame endings, lack of challenge/cheap AI difficulty, lack of boss character/cheap boss character.

The criticism towards this game has just escalated into mob mentality, at this point, and it probably won't stop even if it got the most perfect relaunch imaginable.

Nephtes

Wow... No.
Capcom this is not the relaunch this game needed.

Seems the heads are still firmly planted up their own asses at Capcom HQ...

Pompadour

How many months did it take for the game to becomes substantially different?

Probably eight months.

My guess is Capcom isn't interested in trying to "relaunch" SFV and isn't too concerned with offering the game + DLC for rock bottom prices because it's making enough now for them to be satisfied. This is conjecture, of course, but we do know Capcom sold a good deal of the CPT DLC despite being universally considered overpriced so their strategy of making their money with expensive DLC may be working. Despite how every SFV thread is filled with business armchair analysts claiming Capcom's business strategies are moronic and any day now the company will declare bankruptcy they seem to be doing alright (and better than previous years) and is still of the few big Japanese gaming companies still around despite most of them going under.

So I don't think Capcom sees SFV as a burning building like a lot of people on GAF do. I expect a relaunch but they're not going to relaunch before the current SFV is drastically improved over launch SFV and it does not seem that their budget is allowing for massive changes every month. It may take another year, or longer, for a lot of these QoL issues to be solved and for the game to have an "appropriate" amount of single player content.

I strongly suspect once the Super edition/relaunch is released, a large portion of haters are going to shift gears into "Now Capcom just went back to the same old shit we had to deal with before!" or "Too little, too late, Capcom!" Just like a lot of people are probably waiting for arcade mode just so they can trash the game for the lack of endings/lame endings, lack of challenge/cheap AI difficulty, lack of boss character/cheap boss character.

The criticism towards this game has just escalated into mob mentality, at this point, and it probably won't stop even if it got the most perfect relaunch imaginable.

Nonsense. FG players want the game to grow and succeed, and Capcom are fucking up even the easy stuff. Why wouldn't there be 'haters'?

Probably eight months.

My guess is Capcom isn't interested in trying to "relaunch" SFV and isn't too concerned with offering the game + DLC for rock bottom prices because it's making enough now for them to be satisfied. This is conjecture, of course, but we do know Capcom sold a good deal of the CPT DLC despite being universally considered overpriced so their strategy of making their money with expensive DLC may be working. Despite how every SFV thread is filled with business armchair analysts claiming Capcom's business strategies are moronic and any day now the company will declare bankruptcy they seem to be doing alright (and better than previous years) and is still of the few big Japanese gaming companies still around despite most of them going under.

So I don't think Capcom sees SFV as a burning building like a lot of people on GAF do. I expect a relaunch but they're not going to relaunch before the current SFV is drastically improved over launch SFV and it does not seem that their budget is allowing for massive changes every month. It may take another year, or longer, for a lot of these QoL issues to be solved and for the game to have an "appropriate" amount of single player content.

The calls of it being shitty are coming from inside the building.

None of the criticism is outside of the norm from even pro players and commentators.

Wow... No.
Capcom this is not the relaunch this game needed.

Seems the heads are still firmly planted up their own asses at Capcom HQ...

This isn't a relaunch, it's just a bundle.

If it relaunches, it'll have a new retail release, and I doubt Capcom is going to physically relaunch the game within a year of its release after what happened with MvC3/UMvC3.

Nonsense. FG players want the game to grow and succeed, and Capcom are fucking up even the easy stuff. Why wouldn't there be 'haters'?

Oh, no doubt they're fucking up some of the easy stuff, but a content bundle isn't a fuckup.

As posted earlier in the thread:

Game: $20
Season 1: $30
Season 2: $30

It's not an incredible deal, but it's not horrible, either.

I'm sure once the game gets a relaunch, some people will welcome it, but the hate threads will continue no matter what Capcom does.

Moofers

$80? Get bent.

Call me when this is a physical release on PS4 for $40 or less.

Exactly. Killer Instinct is twice the game SFV is and you can get the whole shebang after 3 seasons for $40 on disc with a soundtrack cd and other bonus content included.

It has story mode, but it's fucking awful. Just extremely boring. I'd go as far as saying it doesn't even count because of how shoddy it is.

There's also survival mode, which is also a fucking joke.

Pompadour

$80? Get bent.

Exactly. Killer Instinct is twice the game SFV is and you can get the whole shebang after 3 seasons for $40 on disc with a soundtrack cd and other bonus content included.

These comparisons are idiotic. Killer Instinct has been out for over 3 years and was an F2P title at launch, of course it's $40 now. Street Fighter V has been out for less than a year so a bundle that includes the base game, the Season 1 Pass ($30), and the Season 2 pass ($30 and which the season started literally two days ago) going for $80 is reasonable. And if it isn't then guess what, you can buy Ultra Street Fighter 4 with its 44 characters for $15 so why buy anything else?

Aside from that, once Season 2 is complete SFV will have more characters than KI did over 3 seasons so it's not even like the two are directly comparable in regards to content vs. price.

Roxkis_ii

I'm looking at this $80 price point and wonder who are they aiming for to pay that much for SFV, especially when it's been on sale for $35. ( You can actually buy it new for $30 at gamestop right now)

I doubt any casual fighting game player is going to pay that much. Anyone that's a hardcore street fighter fan most likely has already bought the game.

I guess it's good have give your customers options, I just can't think of a reason anyone would pay $80 and i like street fighter a lot.

Not an ounce of the single player modes are worth it. It's all garbage.

The biggest problem is it's all one-and-done, and doesn't create any kind of player investment in the game.

I said it in SFV Hate Thread #438 and it's probably worth saying again, but Capcom would be smart to just abandon any plans they have for single player content outside of a very basic arcade mode and an RPG-lite mode like World Tour Mode from SFA3 or Weapon Master mode from Soul Calibur.

I think the RPG-lite mode is the only way a relaunch could be successful with casual players. Arcade probably isn't enough.

It's getting the criticism it deserves. When you release an unfinished game, in a historically respected franchise, and don't fix the problems in a timely manner, you get backlash. When you run two betas before launch and your game runs like shit months after release, you get backlash. When you price gouge your remaining user base with costume and level dlc, you get backlash. When you fail to recognize all the good will you're squandered and charge $80 for the not even complete edition of a 10 month old game, you get backlash. When you tell new players you can earn everything with fight money and fail to mention just how much time that requires, you get backlash. Time is money and most people aren't going to spend it grinding for an in game currency designed to frustrate you into just buying what you want with real money. Once again, it got/is still getting the criticism it deserves.

Pompadour

The calls of it being shitty are coming from inside the building.

None of the criticism is outside of the norm from even pro players and commentators.

That's different from the point I was trying to make. People can criticize the game all they want and there is plenty of things to criticize. I just don't believe commenters who matter-of-factly declare Capcom's business practices as idiotic and doomed to fail know what they're talking about and they're not presenting evidence to support claims that SFV's business model is faulty. Now, I have no evidence that it's successful but SFV is getting new content and is clearly staying tbe course so I have very little reason to believe Capcom is somehow blind to SFV being a failure and that they're just throwing good money after bad now.

Now, one can certainly argue that SFV is anti-consumer but I believe people claiming it's bad business is people realizing no one really gives a shit when they say "I, as a consumer, won't purchase this game and this price" so they attempt to give their internet comment more weight by trying to speak for a group of people.

The game has made baby-steps in the past couple of months but I can't help but to think they are asking for a lot if this is what their plan is to get new players, even though on paper it looks like a great deal.

It's getting the criticism it deserves. When you release an unfinished game, in a historically respected franchise, and don't fix the problems in a timely manner, you get backlash. When you run two betas before launch and your game runs like shit months after release, you get backlash. When you price gouge your remaining user base with costume and level dlc, you get backlash. When you fail to recognize all the good will you're squandered and charge $80 for the not even complete edition of a 10 month old game, you get backlash. When you tell new players you can earn everything with fight money and fail to mention just how much time that requires, you get backlash. Time is money and most people aren't going to spend it grinding for an in game currency designed to frustrate you into just buying what you want with real money. Once again, it got/is still getting the criticism it deserves.

My point isn't that the criticism is undeserved. The vast majority of it is. My point is that I have a lot of doubt that some (not all) of the people actively criticizing the game have any desire to ever see it actually do things right, and are simply enjoying finding more reasons to hate it. There's constructive criticism and then there's just being a hater for the sake of hating.

I am genuinely curious how many people actively criticizing the game in every new thread about it have the intention to ever buy it and play it for more than a week, once it's actually "complete."

cordy

Banned
This is a pretty ridiculous claim. Capcom has added more stuff for the casuals than hardcore/fgc crowd. Cinematic Story, Trials, Demonstrations and Vs. CPU are all more meant for casual players. Competitive gamers got server fixes and 8 player lobbies after launch.

?

I stick by my statement. SFV still isn't a game for casuals. It still has a lack of modes including the #1 casual mode there is "Arcade Mode." Check out Tekken games, Netherrealm games for what they need for casual players. The only people saying "SFV is casual-friendly now" are probably those who either heavily play the game and/or are deep in the FGC.

SFV isn't it for casual players.

Top Bottom