• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of the Colossus (PS4) new trailer from TGS

wmlk

Avion blends in too well with the environment in the new shot. SotC you can make out its silhouette much clearer, and that's particularly important when these games focuses on the size of the colossi.

Freeman76

I'm a huge fan and I'm really excited for this, but I think SOTC was a game that benefited from the 'murkiness' of SD. Kinda like Resident Evil 4, I just think a lot of the appeal is lost in super crisp resolution and that.

Its being remade so this line of thought is redundant. Its not just an hd facelift.

Will buy it and play it for the first time ever.

I do understand what others mean with atmosphere. And i don't understand why they can't add it. Graphics don't have to be PC sharp all the time.
The Order was kinda blurry a bit but that was perfect for the look they were going after. Not sure why other devs don't get that. Also, it takes care of jaggies a bit more.

But to be honest, it looks fucking great.

Based on IGN's comparison, im disappointed that most of the atmosphere is gone. Yeah, I know that the fog and color scheme had to do with technical limits from back in the day but I am sure they also were added for artistic purposes. The remake took out all that and more. Thats like repainting the mona lisa because the paper, paints and paint brushes today are higher quality and allow greater color accuracy than the ones da vinci used.

sqwarlock

I think I understand the complaints (except maybe the pillar one tbh), but I can't get behind them. I bought the original and the remaster day one, and I'm incredibly hyped for this remake. To my eyes it looks gorgeous. Different, but still gorgeous.

This is minutiae that only I'd care about but changing the actual architecture really bothers me. Those desert ruins look like they're from two completely different cultures between the original and the remake.

Already know they won't fix the horrible horse controls, my only bane in video gaming.

I liked the way Argo controlled. You don't know horrible horse controls until you've invested over 100 hours into The Witcher 3. Holy shit, did that steed handle like ass.

gfxtwin

There was no lighting in the original game, just overagressive bloom. Same with the fog effects, they were primarily there to mask geometry pop in and low LODs into the distance.

Art style changes with the growth of technology is just a fact of life

Lots of bloom, but it was tasteful bloom and served a purpose.

Branduil

PS3 Remaster vs PS4 Remake: Avion

untitled-112se8.png

untitled-23is5s.png

Man this is the worst comparison yet. What the heck happened?

RSB

Banned
WHAT!!! The horse controls were fucking awesome. I loved it. It really felt Argo was alive instead of being just another vehicle.
Yep I love them because you are still controlling Wander (moving the reins) and not Agro himself. Definitely makes Agro feel like an actual animal, and not just a reskinned vehicle.

thelastword

Banned
I'm glad they didn't remake Ico now.
Sigh, but you don't have to play the remake if you don't want to, you can keep playing PS2 ICO forever and those nostalgic feelings will never be tainted.

As for me. I hope these guys are upgrading and remaking ICO......I would buy these two games remade to current gen standards for $60.00 as a two game package....I look at this remake and aside from the low AF, it even beats TLG in a few aspects...Great job by Bluepoint so far......

big fake

Man bluepoint needs to really fix the bloom. It seems like a very technical remaster, I don't care enough for insane texture resolution if the art direction TeamICO had intended for is lost.

I mean come on man... please don't do this to one of the best games of all time.

Agram

I really hope they will listen to feedback. The game itself looks great, they just need to fine-tune the colors, fog, atmosphere...

bud

the e3 version looks much better and closer to the original.

if they don't fix this, i might as well dust off the triple and finish the remaster instead.

Poor bluepoint I would've turned this down(no I wouldn't it's money) but sheesh making a beloved game is a nightmare, nostalgia works overtime. Still surprised Square is actually doing ff7 crazy ppl.

That said never played it what's the general idea/flow of gameplay without spoiling too much story?

Climb these big guys and what?

Option-

Poor bluepoint I would've turned this down(no I wouldn't it's money) but sheesh making a beloved game is a nightmare, nostalgia works overtime. Still surprised Square is actually doing ff7 crazy ppl.

That said never played it what's the general idea/flow of gameplay without spoiling too much story?

...and... solitude. (and eagles, few other animals, your horse, different settings in the world, the sound of the wind...)

There really is nothing there, just the astral fields that you are riding on.
You discover the map through shrines that serve as save points while traveling (basically Ubi watchtowers, another aspect that Ueda invented and other devs still copy to this date).
And slowly progressing your search for the next colossus without waypoints but just architecture as an orientation.

It´s just an experience that you can´t describe and isn´t necessary Mario Galaxy Style-like fun or CoD-adrenalin.
But if you are able to immerse yourself in atmosphere etc. you will feel the presence of the world. It´s hard to describe as it it really vague and just conveyed when you play the game.

There are also story cutscenes that give you the feeling that you´re not doing it for nothing but I don´t want to spoil.

Ueda said that he always likes to do what others don´t and looking at its original release date, there hasn´t been anything like it then and frankly there isn´t anything like this to this day.

You ARE the protagonist. The game mechanics verge closely on the world, making them invisible. Only Red Dead Redemption would come close to that and when I think about it, the riding in Red Dead was heavily influenced by SotC, too.

Wamb0wneD

The one thing I prefer in the original is how bright the canyon walls and stuff always were

It's not really a brightness, more of a paleness. The sky was always bright though and had a lot of bloom on it, which made it look like no normal sky, with no specific lightsource anywhere. That Avion comparison looks dreadful.

Wamb0wneD

Please look at these pictures

untitled-112se8.png

untitled-23is5s.png

and tell me it's nostalgia why this is getting criticized.

ty_hot

I've never got to play this game before so I'm hopeful it handles well. I heard all the good and the bad so yeah, hoping the bad is better

There is no bad. Maybe the frame rate, but it doesnt ruin the experience because you are too focued on killing the next colossus.

jett

D-Member

There are to major differences between the FF7 Remake and this:

Firstly, FF7R is virtually a new game. They're reimagining and rethinking it from top to bottom. SotC is very clearly attempting to provide the exact same game and experience, so any major change is going to really stand out. To me it's just odd they aren't respecting the game's original art design. It's not a sequel, it's not a spiritual sequel inspired by SotC, it's a pretty straight-forward remake of a game with an aesthetic that stands the test of time.

And two is that major members from the original FF7 team are leading the project, so they get the benefit of the doubt.

Honestly the strangest thing about this entire project is the complete radio silence from Sony. No interviews from people involved, no real information about it, nothing. They drop these trailers and then they fuck off.

FTF

There is at least 6 months till this comes out, so they have plenty of time to tweak the look and aesthetics, etc. Regardless, I'm incredibly excited for this and will be getting it day 1.

NateDog

When I first watched it I didn't care too much about it but the more I think about it the sky is annoying me. I think part of the feeling of isolation and that strange mixture of feeling trapped within such a wide world with no-one in it came from that sky when you enter. So often you can see a beautiful, clear blue sky in video-games in order to show off or complement the landscape, but in SoTC it was so overcast to an extent that you can barely see a break in any point of the sky. I know throughout there are areas or times where you can see a glimmer beyond or above the clouds but I feel like there's a significance to that: that it's almost there and you can nearly get to it, but you can't. Maybe I'm just overthinking it. Before I saw this trailer I didn't even really care about this release.

BigEmil

This is minutiae that only I'd care about but changing the actual architecture really bothers me. Those desert ruins look like they're from two completely different cultures between the original and the remake.

Agree
I made a quick-and-dirty attempt to match the original asthetic.

t87aGsA.png

Nicely done much prefer this
So the lighting went from the Ico/TLG fairy tale style to a generic TES look... Graphics look good but...

Yep

They should be in contact with the fans through Twitter or something for feedback, Bluepoint devs are pretty scarce even though they live in Americas

4th time watching the trailer.

So hyped for this

I'm open to whatever the hell Bluepoint does to it. They can ad Loot Colossus Boxes and Lizard microtransactions for all i care

Top Bottom