• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of the Eternals appears on Steam Greenlight

Gbraga

Ok, they're only crowdfunding the Pilot, and yet they offer the whole season in one of the tiers? What if it never gets made? What happens then? That's weird.

Also, 50 is a bit too much in my opinion.

SmithnCo

Will it be funded? At this point I'm doubting it. If the kickstarter falls through they don't get that money, so they're back to their own fundraising campaign? I guess?

HoosTrax

Sure, of course, I don't help many other games, but I don't see the reason to downvote so far. Sure, there's the Dyack hate, but as you said, they're 8 guys who do what they love, not fair to try to sabotage their work just because of one of them.
If there was one thing that Valve got right with Greenlight, it was making downvotes not count. Otherwise we would have seen a lot more instances of spite downvoting, or worse -- organized sabotage orchestrated by other competing developers vying for a spot, or their fans.

Shiggy

This is pathetic. But I didn't expect anything else from NeoGAF users when it comes to something that is related to Denis Dyack.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
There's no "cancelling out" to be done. The downvotes have never counted on Greenlight (well other than giving people a feeling of smug self-satisfaction). Only upvotes count.

Basically:
downvote = 0
upvote = +1
I didn't know that. That's good to know. Gotta wonder why there's even a downvote button then, if it doesn't do anything? Why not just have a single "vote" button (kind of like the "Like" button on FB)? Weird.

Gbraga

Down voting isn't sabotage when it doesn't do anything.

Still I do hope it succeds for those who want it, don't like to see anything fail. I just find it weird after what has come out of the previous studio, the type of game it is, and that so many companies are moving away more and more from mid tier games that some honestly expect someone to swoop in and save this.

If there was one thing that Valve got right with Greenlight, it was making downvotes not count. Otherwise we would have seen a lot more instances of spite downvoting, or worse -- organized sabotage orchestrated by other competing developers vying for a spot, or their fans.

Oh, so it doesn't make them go down for each negative vote? It's just "whatever"? Then I get it, I always thought it'd be making it harder for the people who do want the game if I downvote something, so I only vote when I want a game to be greenlit.

I didn't know that. That's good to know. Gotta wonder why there's even a downvote button then, if it doesn't do anything? Why not just have a single "vote" button (kind of like the "Like" button on FB)? Weird.

It is weird

Beth Cyra

Ok, they're only crowdfunding the Pilot, and yet they offer the whole season in one of the tiers? What if it never gets made? What happens then? That's weird.

Also, 50 is a bit too much in my opinion.

Crowdfunding is to pay for Cry Engnie 3 and the Pilot. Beyond that they are clearly hoping to have the first episode to do well enough to sustain the project.

However one only needs to look at how well CF/KS has gone to know this isn't going to happen. At this point they and their fans are pretty much hoping for some 3rd Party to save them, and outside of Sony/Nintendo all major third parites are moving away from smaller games.

Kade

Only 8 people on the Project, so saying they are the Team Behind TH or XMD isn't really the right thing to say IMO.

Also the trailer would have been okay if they actually showed off some gameplay. Until that happens I can't see any reason anyone would want to give them money, so I can't fault people for not helping them.

How about a 9 minute gameplay video released shortly after the original trailer?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqqu7O3ZP00

I couldn't care less about Eternal Darkness because I thought it was trash but come on guys. Dyack fucked up. He knows it. Dude probably wants to right his wrongs and try to forget his shady past and it shows. His team shouldn't be punished for his lack of foresight and inability to keep his mouth shut. They want to make this game and there are people who want to play it. Sure, you might not be one of these people but I fail to see how people wanting to make/play a game warrants the reaction it's getting. The existence of this game doesn't affect anyone negatively.

That said, this game probably won't exist anyways if the Kickstarter and official site's campaign are any indication. RIP Precursor Games 2013-2013.

It probably still registers as an "action" despite not increasing any number aside from page views. For example, if they see that 500 people have viewed the Greenlight page, 450 have made an action but the number of upvotes is only 100, that's an indicator that people are uninterested. It's a more accurate way to gauge interest than only using page views as a metric.

HoosTrax

The actual purpose of the "downvote" button is to help users manage their queue. You clear games off your queue by voting for a game, either in the affirmative or negative.

(Note that developers can view their upvote/downvote stats, they just don't factor in when it actually matters -- it's there for informational purposes, I guess to let developers know if their game is particularly divisive or w/e)

Durante

Easy: so it doesn't show you a game again which you have already voted on.

duckroll

I *think* it's because the way Greenlight is set up, they expect most users to spend time going through a bunch of random games on the Greenlight page to see what interests them, instead of going to a specific link to vote yes/no. So when you're actually using the Greenlight page, it makes sense to have a Yes/No for how interested you are, because you have to pick an option before they show you the next game.

Beth Cyra

How about a 9 minute gameplay video released shortly after the original trailer?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqqu7O3ZP00

I couldn't care less about Eternal Darkness because I thought it was trash but come on guys. Dyack fucked up. He knows it. Dude probably wants to right his wrongs and try to forget his shady past and it shows. His team shouldn't be punished for his lack of foresight and inability to keep his mouth shut. They want to make this game and there are people who want to play it. Sure, you might not be one of these people but I fail to see how people wanting to make/play a game warrants the reaction it's getting. The existence of this game doesn't affect anyone negatively.

That said, this game probably won't exist anyways if the Kickstarter and official site's campaign are any indication. RIP Precursor Games 2013-2013.

This isn't fucking gameplay though. The majority of the video is basically cutscenes, and the other is them slowly walking. There is nothing at all in this video that can really be called Gameplay.

This is pathetic. But I didn't expect anything else from NeoGAF users when it comes to something that is related to Denis Dyack.

Didn't this shit with lumping people together because of similar opinions become bannable? Even if not, Shiggy while you know some people are like this, you've been around enough to know that their are legit concerns to this and not just LoL Dyack hate.

HoosTrax

I *think* it's because the way Greenlight is set up, they expect most users to spend time going through a bunch of random games on the Greenlight page to see what interests them, instead of going to a specific link to vote yes/no. So when you're actually using the Greenlight page, it makes sense to have a Yes/No for how interested you are, because you have to pick an option before they show you the next game.
Yes, for the user, the "downvote" button is effectively "hide this game from my queue". Otherwise you end up with a queue cluttered with both games you're not interested in as well as games you haven't looked at yet.
Oh, so it doesn't make them go down for each negative vote? It's just "whatever"? Then I get it, I always thought it'd be making it harder for the people who do want the game if I downvote something, so I only vote when I want a game to be greenlit.
If you think about it, things would have gotten really dirty, really quickly, if things didn't work this way. At any given moment, a lot of highest ranked games will publicly announce what position they are in the standings. If you are ranked #11, and you know such-and-such game is #10, you can attempt to bribe your fans into a smear campaign to try to drop the ranking of the #10 game.

duckroll

This isn't fucking gameplay though. The majority of the video is basically cutscenes, and the other is them slowly walking. There is nothing at all in this video that can really be called Gameplay.

I don't agree. I think most of the video is gameplay, at least what I expect from Eternal Darkness. The combat in ED is nothing to write home about, it was the adventure aspects and the atmosphere which made the game what it was. They basically chose to prototype and show off the "best" of what Eternal Darkness had, which isn't really a bad choice.

Kade

If only there was a guy shooting a gun or solving a matchstick puzzle, maybe then it could be considered gameplay. Have you played Eternal Darkness?

Beth Cyra

I don't agree. I think most of the video is gameplay, at least what I expect from Eternal Darkness. The combat in ED is nothing to write home about, it was the adventure aspects and the atmosphere which made the game what it was. They basically chose to prototype and show off the "best" of what Eternal Darkness had, which isn't really a bad choice.

Fair enough. I don't however feel the same, combat or whatever else is very important to me.

As someone who played ED and found the game unenjoyable because of how many things it got wrong, like the combat I really need to see that before I can give them any faith. More so after the gameplay issues that both TH and XMD suffered from.

If only there was a guy shooting a gun or solving a matchstick puzzle, maybe then it could be considered gameplay. Have you played Eternal Darkness?

Totally because I'm a dude bro who can't get off unless someone is being shot.

Seriously though, unless the game has gone pure adventure with nothing else then this I want to see the elements beyond this.

Gbraga

I don't know, The Walking Dead was my GOTY last year so I'm all for the "interactive movie" kind of game, walking around interacting with things is very appealing to me, but the voice acting didn't seem very good, and it didn't interest me enough for $50. Maybe if they make it, after the whole season comes out and it's on sale for $20 or something. I'm cheap.

Also, I've read a few people saying that despite it's major flaws, Too Human's story was pretty good (don't know if there's any truth there, didn't stand the game long enough to find out), so this kind of game may be the best for those guys.

And it looks pretty good!

duckroll

Aren't you a NeoGAF user yourself? C'mon, I know you're a better poster than this. Just because there are some people being immature about something and reacting in a childish way, you don't have to do the same and try and paint everyone else the same way.

Jobbs

Banned
I'm trying to be fair minded here, for me one of the biggest sticking points in all of this SK drama is what SK tried to do to Epic. Is there an angle to this that I'm not getting that makes it sound less bad?

Gbraga

I'm trying to be fair minded here, for me one of the biggest sticking points in all of this SK drama is what SK tried to do to Epic. Is there an angle to this that I'm not getting that makes it sound less bad?

I don't think so, that was ridiculous.

Aren't you a NeoGAF user yourself? C'mon, I know you're a better poster than this. Just because there are some people being immature about something and reacting in a childish way, you don't have to do the same and try and paint everyone else the same way.

I just think its def more apparently when the negative rears its ulgy head on gaf. Lots of postive posters, but we stay hidden in the shadows alot of times :D

Mifune

Mehmber
They really are trying to get this thing going but that dog won't hunt.

I'm all for second chances and whatnot, plus I actually liked Too Human. I think its problems were business related as opposed to creative ones (dumping UE3 killed it and SK). Most of SK's problems on the whole stem from bad business decisions, rather than creative ones. Dyack isn't running the business side anymore so I'm all for this project. Sadly, short of a miracle it looks dead in the water.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yes, for the user, the "downvote" button is effectively "hide this game from my queue". Otherwise you end up with a queue cluttered with both games you're not interested in as well as games you haven't looked at yet.
So "no" is basically "don't show this again"? I see, that makes sense.

duckroll

I just think its def more apparently when the negative rears its ulgy head on gaf. Lots of postive posters, but we stay hidden in the shadows alot of times :D

I don't think being negative is inherently bad though. If there are people who honestly don't like how a game works, or have negative feedback about something, that's perfectly acceptable. I don't think that's what's going on in this thread though, especially how it starts off. There's nothing constructive about those posts, and honestly there isn't much to be proud of from that sort of behavior. Going "LOL LET'S DOWNVOTE THIS" en masse is childish and silly. But knowing that it doesn't actually do anything negative in the Greenlight system, getting angry over that and lashing out on the entire forum because of some of these people is also stupid. It's just sad all round imo. :p

I don't think being negative is inherently bad though. If there are people who honestly don't like how a game works, or have negative feedback about something, that's perfectly acceptable. I don't think that's what's going on in this thread though, especially how it starts off. There's nothing constructive about those posts, and honestly there isn't much to be proud of from that sort of behavior. Going "LOL LET'S DOWNVOTE THIS" en masse is childish and silly. But knowing that it doesn't actually do anything negative in the Greenlight system, getting angry over that and lashing out on the entire forum because of some of these people is also stupid. It's just sad all round imo. :p

Your absolutely right. I don't think being negative with justly reasons is a bad thing. To each their own. Though yes, the mentality I've seen in this thread is pretty childish. Jumping on a bandwagon like this is just... O_O

Marcel

Going "LOL LET'S DOWNVOTE THIS" en masse is childish and silly. But knowing that it doesn't actually do anything negative in the Greenlight system, getting angry over that and lashing out on the entire forum because of some of these people is also stupid. It's just sad all round imo. :p

I didn't downvote just to do it. I think Dyack is a hack. A talentless pedant. Full disclosure, I would have supported SOTE (I'm a fan of ED) had he not been involved but he is a permeating stink cloud over the project. In short, not a safe investment.

MickeyPhree

Down voted. I thought Ed was one of the worst piece of shit games I've ever played; I honestly don't understand how anyone actually enjoyed it. Even if Dyack wasn't around there is no way in hell I would ever play this.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Maybe vote on the game itself and not judge the people behind it you nerd.

I didn't like Eternal Darkness and I wouldn't actually buy this game, so let me go back and...oh I already did.

Though, I'm not sure why we're resorting to name calling?

dream

I agree with you, Wario64. I didn't find Eternal Darkness to be fun or interesting, and the footage I'm seeing for this game looks atrocious.

Grief.exe

Allegations that have been debunked. You might say "yeah, by Dyack...who would believe that?" but reality dictates that if any wrongdoing was done Activation would be balls deep in his ass giving him and Silicon Knights a royal fucking in court.

It's all moot anyway since Dyack has no power at Precursor regarding the business end of things anyway.

Devil's advocate here

Activision may have looked at Silicon Knight's assets and measured them against the cost of taking them to court.

I guarantee you anything that they could have gotten out of the case would not have justified the cost.

Activision is a massive company, they chalked this one up as a loss and moved on. Plus it would be very difficult to prove in court.

Seagoon

I loved Eternal Darkness, so will be voting for and possibly supporting this game. I hope it ends up like Black Mesa in regards to being a pleasant surprise despite all the hate generated around its creators.

Sometimes I find the witch hunts on GAF to border on comical.

mantidor

Eternal Darkness hate? wow...

It still boggles my mind how they can do this with Nintendo not giving a damn at all, a true Eternal Darkness 2 seems pretty much impossible at this point if Nintendo cares this little. I really doubt these guys can pull off a game like ED without Nintendo's guidance, what is their track record? Too Human?

Mileena

Banned
Eternal Darkness hate? wow...

It still boggles my mind how they can do this with Nintendo not giving a damn at all, a true Eternal Darkness 2 seems pretty much impossible at this point if Nintendo cares this little. I really doubt these guys can pull off a game like ED without Nintendo's guidance, what is their track record? Too Human?

jbwNGxaE4tciVP.jpg

For what it's worth, this is now appropriately located in the concepts section of Greenlight.

Don't think I'm going to vote either way, though.

Devil's advocate here

Activision may have looked at Silicon Knight's assets and measured them against the cost of taking them to court.

I guarantee you anything that they could have gotten out of the case would not have justified the cost.

Activision is a massive company, they chalked this one up as a loss and moved on. Plus it would be very difficult to prove in court.

I kind of think this is true. Activision doesn't seem to care all that much about their licensed properties in general and their output reflects that. It seems that they do the bare minimum to fulfill contractual obligations, so I doubt they'd dip into their coffers to just to sue this company. Besides, Epic took SK to the cleaners anyway so what would they get by suing the ghost of a company?

Some salty folks in this thread. Whatever Dyack might have done in the past, I don't think it's fair to condemn the other employees of the company for his past mistakes. I've been looking forward to a sequel, or spiritual successor to ED for a long time now, and this has gotten me excited. if this drive to make the game a reality fails, it shouldn't be because of Dennis Dyack.

Some salty folks in this thread. Whatever Dyack might have done in the past, I don't think it's fair to condemn the other employees of the company for his past mistakes. I've been looking forward to a sequel, or spiritual successor to ED for a long time now, and this has gotten me excited. if this drive to make the game a reality fails, it shouldn't be because of Dennis Dyack.

This isn't a case of a game being released via big publisher, where we can wait until the game is released and finished, and read impressions and reviews before deciding to vote with our wallets. In that case yes, whatever Dyack did in the past is less relevant. But they are asking people to donate prior to having anything done, to get the game made. They are asking gamers and fans to be their "investors" and just like any other "investor", it is fair to take people's background and credibility into account.

Margalis

Banned
From EvilLore:

That's a lot of purple prose that amounts to "you argued on Neogaf."

At the time I was following this but not a member and not invested. It was just a dumb internet argument, nothing more, nothing less. I suppose if you are part of it and really invested in it it must feel like some sort of epic confrontation, but it wasn't.

Dyack was completely correct on many points, like calling out people who knew nothing about the game, people slamming the animation in a 10fps gif and people trying to make bets about the game being terrible then claiming than on 80 MC is terrible.

Dyack is guilty of rambling a lot about some book he read and some overblown concept nobody gives a shit about, so it's easy for him to come off as grating. Personally I don't like listening to him either, just because he's so long-winded. But his big crime on Neogaf was just arguing.

The fact that people now are still really invested in it is just mind-boggling to me. It's like me being angry at someone because in 1995 they argued on rec.games.mac that PC games were better than Mac games.

This is Real Housewives level drama.

Edit: My intent here isn't to try to revive the original Gaf/Dyack arguments, just to point out that they weren't the reverberating holy war some people seem to think they were.

Top Bottom