• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of the Eternals appears on Steam Greenlight

This isn't a case of a game being released via big publisher, where we can wait until the game is released and finished, and read impressions and reviews before deciding to vote with our wallets. In that case yes, whatever Dyack did in the past is less relevant. But they are asking people to donate prior to having anything done, to get the game made. They are asking gamers and fans to be their "investors" and just like any other "investor", it is fair to take people's background and credibility into account.

Important points to note for any propective startups looking for handouts from the gaming populace.

Your pedigree and history will be dug up, unearthed and harped upon ad infinitum for everyone to see as long as you're involved in the project. As someone mentioned upthread, the well was poisoned the moment Dyack's involvement in the project became evident.

Margalis

Banned
This isn't a case of a game being released via big publisher, where we can wait until the game is released and finished, and read impressions and reviews before deciding to vote with our wallets.

Greenlight doesn't require any money from voters. If you vote yes you aren't giving Valve permission to charge you when the game comes out.

Upvoted because I was intrigued by the concept video. Downvotes don't mean anything anyway, which makes sense really if they were never interested.

Though good luck with raising the funds for it, they are certainly quite a ways off. In short, a good part of me doesn't expect much.

That's the thing.

The main argument is "because Dyack" and that is so utterly ridiculous it makes me sick.

I want a a successor to this:

Is that so wrong?

It's not, I'm with you here. I love ED so damn much.

Doesn't seem very likely that the KS will succeed. Let's hope they have a backup plan or Nintendo funding to still go through with this.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Actual taltented and cool people with actual lives, families and mortages work at Precursor. Grow the fuck up, GAF. I'm embarrased to be a part of this community at times.

No one at Precursor is owed anything by anyone here. They're asking for money and support while harboring an abyssal credibility black hole, and competing for limited dollars and interest with many, many other projects that also involve humans and mortgages.

Apocryphon

I'd vote against but Greenlight irks me.

Also, a better starting point for this studio might have been to work with Nintendo and port Eternal Darkness to 3DS.

This isn't a case of a game being released via big publisher, where we can wait until the game is released and finished, and read impressions and reviews before deciding to vote with our wallets. In that case yes, whatever Dyack did in the past is less relevant. But they are asking people to donate prior to having anything done, to get the game made. They are asking gamers and fans to be their "investors" and just like any other "investor", it is fair to take people's background and credibility into account.

Of course it's fair, however, the amount of hate towards hate towards Dyack is now hitting ridiculous proportions . If people aren't comfortable donating because it's a first time developer asking for money, then fine. But more often than not, it's purely because of what Dyack did in the past, a past he's already apologized for, and frankly some of us need to move on from. But what do I know. I just want to play ED2 at some point, and this might have been as close as we got to it (unless nintendo does something surprising).

Of course it's fair, however, the amount of hate towards hate towards Dyack is now hitting ridiculous proportions . If people aren't comfortable donating because it's a first time developer asking for money, then fine. But more often than not, it's purely because of what Dyack did in the past, a past he's already apologized for, and frankly some of us need to move on from. But what do I know. I just want to play ED2 at some point, and this might have been as close as we got to it (unless nintendo does something surprising).

I watched the first 3 or 4 parts (watching it on Youtube) of that Dyack Let's Play of Eternal Darkness and I thought it was horrible :(

I guess I should have assumed it would just basically be a giant advertisement for Shadows of the Eternal, but it would have been nice for them to actually talk about what they were playing in the game. I was hoping for insightful commentary, instead I got long talks about how thier Shadows of the Eternal message boards have a rep/karma system for its users.

I think they only actually talked about what was streaming on the game at the very beginning when they mentioned that they added the "nightmare" sequence with the blonde girl to give players a chance to jump into combat and get used to the controls without any real threat. Which is something I remember hearing before during the pre-game hype. It would have been nice if he could talked about more aspects of the game's design in later segments, or touched on the historical basis. Why were there giant sword swinging traps all over the Cambodian girl's stage anyways?

Its not all Dyack's fault (or the other people from Precursor who I didn't realize were even there until the 3rd or 4th segment), the stream hosts asked some pretty inane questions as well. Oh and the Nintendo asskissing. It wouldn't have been so bad if anyone gave any specifics about how Nintendo helped them, but no, instead it was just vague "they design games right, even their bad games are good, nintendo is poised well for the future!"

Maybe it gets better as the game progresses and they run out of Precursor/Shadows of the Eternal stuff to talk about over and over and can actually start discussing the game they are playing/streaming. If anyone who has gotten further can comment it'd be great.

I was very hyped for Eternal Darkness before it came out. Was hyped for it on the N64, and then for Gamecube....bought it launch night. And ultimately the game let me down like nothing else that generation. All of the hype about how deep it was, and I remember finding it pretty hollow. I was hoping this Let's PLay with commentary from Dyack would be able to show me how deep the game's backstory really was, on all the levels that I had missed so many years ago. But it doesn't seem to be the case.

Top Bottom