• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow Warrior 2 PC Performance Thread

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Multi res shading at 4K seems excellent. Conservative seems hardly noticeable at all and agressive is noticeable when you're looking for it but not really during gameplay. If conservative was available in every game I might just leave it on all the time. Close enough to just being a free frame rate boost. Aggressive is easy to see the difference when something moves into the outside area but it's a valid option if you need the frames

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Solved my HDR issues - had to select 4:2:0 and 12-bit color. Any other combination did not work. In 4:2:0 or 4:2:2 at lower but depth, you could see lots of artefacts on text but once the game correctly displayed itself, those all disappeared. Looks fantastic now. No banding or artefcats. Obviously you lose some color resolution but on a 4K TV it's very difficult to see even when sitting just 3ft away.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Solved my HDR issues - had to select 4:2:0 and 12-bit color. Any other combination did not work. In 4:2:0 or 4:2:2 at lower but depth, you could see lots of artefacts on text but once the game correctly displayed itself, those all disappeared. Looks fantastic now. No banding or artefcats. Obviously you lose some color resolution but on a 4K TV it's very difficult to see even when sitting just 3ft away.

4K HDR 60 FPS? Living the IQ dream there my dude

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member

Interesting, I had it set up at RGB 8bit and felt everything looked fine. TV identified HDR as soon as I turned it on. I'll try some other settings later and see if I get a difference

Patchy

Banned
Using -noalienware in launch options totally killed any stutter I was having, weird.

EDIT: Scratch that, stutter back in a big way - borderline unplayable...

The framerate doesn't budge from 60 after locking with RTSS, no idea what the issue is...

It basically looks like movement with a mouse with smoothing off, movement with mouse is 100% smooth but it stutters with my XB1 controller big time.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Interesting, I had it set up at RGB 8bit and felt everything looked fine. TV identified HDR as soon as I turned it on. I'll try some other settings later and see if I get a difference
It looks fine in many scenes but there are areas where you can see noticeable color banding. The hub level just after the first level, for instance. Look at the sky.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Okay so I'm trying to test HDR now.

4k 60fps on a LG UHD TV from 2016
RGB 8bit I can see banding in the sky
YCbCr 4:2:0 12bit no banding
YCbCr 4:4:4 8bit banding in the sky
YCbCr 4:2:2 12bit menus are crazy oversaturated, whole game is oversaturated and unplayable
YCbCr 4:2:2 10bit same as above
YCbCr 4:2:2 8bit same as above

Conclusions. Only YCbCr 4:2:0 12bit gives the correct imagine, 8bit modes have colour banding but otherwise look okay. YCbCr 4:2:2 is broken in all modes at this time. Thanks Dark for the original information for the test.

Vuze

Has anyone got HDR to work with AMD Rx 470/480?. Or is it only working with nvidia cards?
Considering Nvidia advertised this game to have HDR implemented via their SDK during the Pascal reveal, I would assume it's Nvidia-only. But I have no recent AMD card so I can't verify.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Which settings would you guys lower if you were trying to up your minimum frame rate? The game mostly runs well over 60fps but worst case scenarios drop it into the mid 50s which I don't want so I'm looking to add about 5fps with minimal IQ loss. I'm currently playing on high preset with 16x AF.

Overall the game has really high fps but I don't know if it's just me but it feels like it gets a bit jerky sometimes? Like the frame rate is 60 or above but it feels lower than that, this is noticeable during combat and especially when moving through the world using dash. I'm just wondering if there's something I can do on my end? I was thinking about locking the frame rate to 60fps using RTS as I heard that can improve frame pacing? Any input would be great.

EDIT: Tried 60fps with RTSS and it was worse, especially in borderline window which felt like I was playing at 30fps even though the OSD showed 60fps with 16.6ms frame time. I've tried low to ultra presets and I just can't get it to run completely smoothly, even at 60fps it just doesn't feel right. I don't know if it's maybe an asset loading issue? I'm using a Samsung 840 EVO which should be good enough so I don't know.

EDIT2: I've noticed my GPU is actually hitting 100% usage during heavy combat, should that be happening? MSI GTX 970 Gaming Edition at +100/+250. It hits 100% on medium, high and ultra presets with low at around 60%. Uncapped frame rate at 1080p as any form of capping makes the game much more choppy for some reason even though it completely smooths out the frame time.

EDIT3: Uncapped, fullscreen on high preset without touching any settings seems to give me the best experience, still not perfect but good. The frame rate is staying above 60fps during heavy combat now and a lot of the stutter is gone although moving quickly through the world still causes brief choppiness.

Edit: My RAM was set to 2T, setting it to 1T has made a huge difference, the game is much smoother now. Everything I've read about this setting suggests it only makes a difference in benchmarks but not in my case, the difference is night and day.

Vuze

Yeah no way. New 3m Highspeed HDMI 2.0 cable just came in, NVCP still locks the HDR TV to 29Hz at 4k60 HDR no-matter-which-subsampling. Also I can't select 4:2:0 for the TV anymore once the game is running. Not sure what's the problem at this point but I guess I'll give up.

Hybris

There's some pretty gamebreaking performance drops that everyone in my group are experiencing in co-op. This doesn't occur when solo. fps drops to 10-15 after fighting the same monster for some amount of time, then as soon as it dies, it pops back up to smooth 60 again. I hope this is something they can patch soon because it's really ruining my experience in the game.

Tadie

Okay so I'm trying to test HDR now.

4k 60fps on a LG UHD TV from 2016
RGB 8bit I can see banding in the sky
YCbCr 4:2:0 12bit no banding
YCbCr 4:4:4 8bit banding in the sky
YCbCr 4:2:2 12bit menus are crazy oversaturated, whole game is oversaturated and unplayable
YCbCr 4:2:2 10bit same as above
YCbCr 4:2:2 8bit same as above

Conclusions. Only YCbCr 4:2:0 12bit gives the correct imagine, 8bit modes have colour banding but otherwise look okay. YCbCr 4:2:2 is broken in all modes at this time. Thanks Dark for the original information for the test.

I can't set YCbCr 4:2:0 12bit. I just can set 8bit. With YCbCr 4:2:2 10bit & 12bit I have color banding :/

YCbCr 4:4:4 8bit doesn't activate my hdr.
I have the Sony XBR43X800D.

Vuze

I can't set YCbCr 4:2:0 12bit. I just can set 8bit. With YCbCr 4:2:2 10bit & 12bit I have color banding :/

YCbCr 4:4:4 8bit doesn't activate my hdr.
I have the Sony XBR43X800D.
Are you able to play at 4k 60Hz with HDR on? We have the same model (and as you might've noticed I have some issues :p)

I might have pinned down the issue a bit though. I had a closer look at the EDID of the TV and it seems the game communicates with the HDMI (non 2.0) data part. Atleast it would fit with 4K being locked to 29/30hz and the color formats available.
4zj4kzv.png

And these are the settings NVCP offers while in-game with HDR enabled.

Man, I hope this fiddling is a thing of the past come the Windows 10 native HDR support.

Tadie

Yes, with 4:2:2 10 Bit & 12 Bit HDR I can Play with 4K 60hz. Just the color banding sucks.
And I had to change the color settings manually on the TV to Adobe. Otherwise the picture is really red.

epmode

It's so weird that I can a bunch of frames by switching from exclusive fullscreen to borderless. You'd think it would be the other way around.

Dunfisch

Game runs super smooth so far with the one or odd exception of the framerate tanking when you kill a miniboss. Just drops to straight freeze frame for a few seconds before it stabilizes again.

Also, crashes, seldom as they are, occur at the *least* fucking opportune moment. Just wrapped up a super tedious bulletsponge bossfight and it's CTD as I inspect the gear dropped afterwards. Restart, puts me back at the start of the mission. Ugh.

Still impressed with how well it runs though, the action can get really insane at time and it's rock solid despite a hundred particle effects all over the place.

20161017_2312546jyj5.jpg

So after my admittedly short HDR gaming career so far I was very pleased coming across this scene which is in the hub I think, it really shows what HDR can do for a game, better than what Gears 4 could show HDR wise for sure! This is what I'd demo to an HDR newbie and turn it on and off.

Vuze

Yes, with 4:2:2 10 Bit & 12 Bit HDR I can Play with 4K 60hz. Just the color banding sucks.
And I had to change the color settings manually on the TV to Adobe. Otherwise the picture is really red.
Odd. It ought to be a software issue on the PC/game side then in my case.
Thanks for the info.

dr_rus

Another question: what happens if you take a screenshot of a game running in HDR with PrintScr or any tool (Fraps, AB, DXtory)? How does it look?

Anybody here running win10 anniversary update? Installed it for gears 4 and I'm having a lot of problems in games I wasn't having issues with before.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
OK I'm starting to see some very shaky performance at times as well while solo, it's mostly above 60fps no trouble but some zones drop as low as 49fps during heavy combat, it is quite all over the place actually.

ekgrey

Does HDR come with a big performance cost? I'm entertaining the idea of saving up for a 4K/HDR set for dat comfy couch gaming but worry that my single 1070 couldn't hack it.

Ha, well yeah, I know 4K with a single card is still pretty much a pipe dream at even high settings but I was just wondering if HDR added to that. Good to know that it doesn't. Thanks!

1440p if you sit further away looks pretty good and could probably run no problem with a 1070!

Man, I love the co-op in this game but holy shit can be a buggy mess sometimes. I actually ran into a constantly-dying loop while in co-op.

Vuze

I think I fixed my problem. I soft-modded the EDID of my TV (Sony XD80) in several aspects and I can now set 3840x2160 @ 60Hz @ 4:2:0 12bit with HDR hassle-free. Didn't notice any sky banding so far and HDR works fine. Also, my 10m Highspeed HDMI cable (main suspect for the issues) does the job too lol
If anyone is interested let me know and I'll write up a small piece, the process is a little convoluted.

I'm not particularly sure if I should blame Nvidia for mis-interpreting the EDID or Sony for fucking sth up. But for now, I'm just happy it works lol. inb4 reboot fucks everything up

E: Seems to work just fine even after a few reboots. Only concern might be GPU driver updates but we'll see about that.

Tadie

I think I fixed my problem. I soft-modded the EDID of my TV (Sony XD80) in several aspects and I can now set 3840x2160 @ 60Hz @ 4:2:0 12bit with HDR hassle-free. Didn't notice any sky banding so far and HDR works fine. Also, my 10m Highspeed HDMI cable (main suspect for the issues) does the job too lol

If anyone is interested let me know and I'll write up a small piece, the process is a little convoluted.

I'm not particularly sure if I should blame Nvidia for mis-interpreting the EDID or Sony for fucking sth up. But for now, I'm just happy it works lol. inb4 reboot fucks everything up

E: Seems to work just fine even after a few reboots. Only concern might be GPU driver updates but we'll see about that.

Yes, I'm interested in your solution :)

Buburibon

Posted a quick guide in the TV "OT", let me know if it works for you! http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=220511165&postcount=895

Yep, CRU did the trick for me as well. Soft modded my Marantz SR7011's EDID and now everything works fine. Thanks for taking the time to write the guide for others. :)

Wag

Are you able to play at 4k 60Hz with HDR on? We have the same model (and as you might've noticed I have some issues :p)

I might have pinned down the issue a bit though. I had a closer look at the EDID of the TV and it seems the game communicates with the HDMI (non 2.0) data part. Atleast it would fit with 4K being locked to 29/30hz and the color formats available.

Man, I hope this fiddling is a thing of the past come the Windows 10 native HDR support.

What software is this?

Durante

CRU really is a great tool. I should remember to mention it the next time someone asks for a list of indispensable PC software.

As for that particular issue, I feel like if editing the EDID information can resolve it then it's likely a case of the device providing incorrect EDID information.

What software is this?
ToastyX' Custom Resolution Utility. Clearly someone who puts about as much thought into naming his software as I do :p

Wag

CRU really is a great tool. I should remember to mention it the next time someone asks for a list of indispensable PC software.

As for that particular issue, I feel like if editing the EDID information can resolve it then it's likely a case of the device providing incorrect EDID information.

ToastyX' Custom Resolution Utility. Clearly someone who puts about as much thought into naming his software as I do :p

Where is the HDMI information? All I can do is create a custom res.

Buburibon

I've been running into EDID-related issues when gaming on PC for years. Like you said it's probably due to the device providing incorrect information, but I'll keep (perhaps wrongly) blaming the games/software themselves that have issues with recognizing available refresh rates, native resolutions, etc. I always wonder why it only happens with a handful of games, and not others. Why is it that GeDoSaTo keeps working every time no matter my setup? :p I suppose other devices such as UHD Bluray players, and consoles like the XB1 S use another form of identification amongst themselves. There's never, ever a problem with those. It always seems to be a PC thing, or rather an Nvidia thing.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
It's so weird that I can a bunch of frames by switching from exclusive fullscreen to borderless. You'd think it would be the other way around.

same here, I had fullscreen on and despite the fps counter indicating 60 it felt very choppy, switched to windowed fullscreen and runs a lot smoother.

I don't get it, might be something with my display.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Is anyone else suffering with very inconsistent performance while solo? A lot of the time it's 60fps+ no problem, but often enough to annoy me it's dropping as low as 45fps, the performance seems to get worse further into the game I get. And I don't know why by borderless window gives me +10fps over fullscreen mode, sitting in the exact same spot.

I had the same issue with Hard Reset, although it was far more common in Hard Reset.

120v

Is anyone else suffering with very inconsistent performance while solo? A lot of the time it's 60fps+ no problem, but often enough to annoy me it's dropping as low as 45fps, the performance seems to get worse further into the game I get. And I don't know why by borderless window gives me +10fps over fullscreen mode, sitting in the exact same spot.

I had the same issue with Hard Reset, although it was far more common in Hard Reset.

i got about a ~15 fps drop after playing it all weekend. it was still above 60 so i was like whatever but there does seem to be a drop the further you get

What's that HDMI support program?

Edit, nevermind saw the post above.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
So, what eats a lot of ram? The game crashed twice on the same mission and later while loading with a windows error: "Out of memory". Since I haven't read of a similar issue I don't think my 8GB is the problem.

The game is very RAM hungry for some reason, I was also seeing my 8GB nearly getting totally eaten up while playing the game, I will most likely grab another 8GB as it's cheap.

Top Bottom