• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadows of the Damned: Beautiful, stylish, fantastic music ...and an absolute bore =(

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This would've been my game of the year in 2011 if it wasn't for the retarded explosion in software quality we got in the last leg of the year (Gears 3, Arkham City, among others). Shadows of the Damned is a top notch game in every facet in my opinion. The game play isn't groundbreaking, as it's really just Resident Evil 4's controls slightly improved. But the game is fun, fast-paced, is funny, incredible music, and is beautiful to look at.

I always crack up thinking about Garcia reciting the story about the flying kid in his poor English. "Pheh - oh - neeeeex."

Those books were some of the funniest things I've ever seen in a game.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
It's fun enough, but some annoying boss fights, repetitive portions, and taste my big boner were tiring. Shooting stuff is fun though.

Duffyside

Banned
I stopped playing this game after about the fifth time I had to go to the fireworks stations. I do intend to pick it back up and finish it, but no longer feel bad that it failed, and actually feel bad I decided to support it at $60 because of good word of mouth rather than waiting for it to hit $20 or less, cuz that's what it's worth.

I agree with the OP, mostly. A lot of it is charming and funny and cool to look at, but good gravy is it tedious.

Edit: Oh, and as a VANQUISH super-fanboy (you can tell because I appropriately capitalize the game's name), I feel that Mikami's involvement must've been being showed the game, him making a weird face, him then saying "all right, here's how you make it control ok," and then him never looking at the game again.

This game would be so much better if they removed those unbelievably terrible STG stages, tightened that dodge invincibility window, and gave bosses more attack variety to justify the amount of health they have.

As it stands, it was okay. As far as Grasshopper goes, it's at least way better than the No More Heroes games.

This is the most correct post in the thread. I actually laughed when I realized that the dodge was invincible through the whole motion. The STG stages felt like they were programmed, designed, and completed within a day. So bad.

Shadows of the Damned is a B-tier third person shooter. It is not terrible but if you want the real G, head over to Resident Evil 4 or Vanquish.

Ledsen

RE5 gets a lot of grief on this board for not being RE4 part 2, but the game is solid- especially if you're playing Co-op. I can't see anyone seriously making the case that it's a worse game.

I played RE5 co-op and I still had more fun with SotD

Facism

I would say that shadows of the damned is one of the best games released this generation. I enjoyed it more then the gears of war games, dead space games, resident evil 5 and vanquished.

Chapter 1-3 are great and focus on an interesting setting and witty dialogue.

Chapter 4-5 focus on bad gimmicks (side scrolling, turret sections) and ditch most of the humour in favour of more combat which isn't nearly as satisfying as RE4.

Well worth playing for the first three chapters though!

Chapter 1-3 are great and focus on an interesting setting and witty dialogue.

Chapter 4-5 focus on bad gimmicks (side scrolling, turret sections) and ditch most of the humour in favour of more combat which isn't nearly as satisfying as RE4.

Well worth playing for the first three chapters though!

I agree

cj_iwakura

Those books were some of the funniest things I've ever seen in a game.

Yep.

Just finished it. Solid, fun game. Not amazing, but I'd never even think of applying 'boring' to it. Great music, too.

What it DID have were bugs. Lots of bugs. But nothing game breaking, aside from one part when
the giant electro demon grabbed Garcia, began the instant kill, I rolled away, game froze.

Well worth the $20.

I enjoy the gunplay in this game. Aspects of it could be better, and there are unnecessary sections, but it's miles better than NMH. So, around 70% of the game is fun to play, combine that with Suda's input and Yamaoka's music = it's a great game. It's no Vanquish, but what is.

Easily one of my favourite games of last year. Awesome atmosphere, incredible soundtrack, great encounter/level variety, crazy story, and meaty feeling shooting mechanics. The only thing I didn't really like was how short it was, or more specifically the lack of unlockables. Everything else was the bees knees.

Yes. Game is trill to the bone. Got that sexilicious signed soundtrack from Yamaoka too.

Kevtones

Annoying design choices everywhere in this game. It was tedious and boring.

Also thought the humor quotient/writing was by far the worst of any Suda game.

I love this game. I beat it in two sitting. I was just starting it to feel the Suda51 vibe. And I was already half past the game the moment I realize I had to go to bed because it was the middle of the night.

Ending was perfect.

Big Boner was the craziest moment of the game

Kevtones

^^^^I normally love what this user says. I'll let this one slide on that principle alone but fuck your opinion!!!

<3

The game does play wonderfully and it starts well. I think the first 3 chapters are worth the effort at least.

I just wasn't on board with the whole light mechanic and it felt like it could've been a lot more interesting. I felt so constraint by the game, like I wasn't being allowed to really indulge in its better concepts. It seemed rushed.

cj_iwakura

I love this game. I beat it in two sitting. I was just starting it to feel the Suda51 vibe. And I was already half past the game the moment I realize I had to go to bed because it was the middle of the night.

Ending was perfect.

Big Boner was the craziest moment of the game

I almost wish it had ended
with him and her alone in the darkness.

Or with Garcia taking over as king of hell.

I loved that Mary Elizabeth McGlynn song.

I also thought its not really that good.

I played Killer7, NMH, NMH2. Even Michigan. But this game... it was really a bore to play even though I finished it in one afternoon sitting.
Style was cool, Audio was great... but gameplay... was, at least for me, really boring.

HYDE

Banned
Anything with SUDA involved is shit. Steer clear.
Different (boner) strokes for different folks.

Ledsen

To me it was very fun, in fact I finished it in only a few days because I didn't really want to stop playing. Aside from a few horrible sequences (mainly turret section and last boss) I loved it.

Nibel

There is one set piece.. a bridge or something in a hot place.. The first thing in the game which blew me away. It looked really, really good.

To me, the soundtrack is the most memorable thing about the game. It's fantastic.

I mentioned this in the official thread, but a lot of the humor got old after a while. Johnson's lines were pretty good, but the overt sexual humor got old fast. Also, I didn't find the stories after Stinky Crow to be as funny as the previous ones. Furthermore, and unrelated to the humor, was anyone else really bothered by Paula's tortured screams throughout the game? I suppose that was the point, but damn it was unpleasant at times.

I do get a chuckle whenever I think about Garcia yelling "What's so funny, bitchface?" to those maze guardians.

Yes where you fight a boss. Colors and art direction with starry skies was amazing

It was unusually pleasant, like seeing the stars in Silent Hill at the end of SH3.

Mognet

Are you me OP? I eventually felt like it was a chore to play so I ended up quitting around the same point as you.

After that experience, I'm pretty hesitant to purchase Lollipop Chainsaw.

Finished it but the latter half was a grind to me; I was burned out once you reached the last level. I think this game was all style, no substance...

Are you me OP? I eventually felt like it was a chore to play so I ended up quitting around the same point as you.

After that experience, I'm pretty hesitant to purchase Lollipop Chainsaw.

I feel ya on that

I'm gonna wait to how LC turns out as well

I think the title is kinda stupid

Just picked this up for cheap at GS. Wanted something fun and mindless after ME3. Any tips or suggestions for maximum enjoyment?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
suda should stop making games with this juvenile humor, and start making more mindfucks like Killer7.

No More Heroes, ok. But this one and Lollipop Chainsaw... no, just no.

I think the lineage of the people who worked on this got it a bit more attention than it deserves. It could have been a generic B THQ title.

LTTP on this and I could not finish it. Good thing I bought it cheap.

SOME-MIST

I had more fun/was less bored playing SotD than resident evil 5..but that isn't saying much.

Probably one of the most overlooked titles of 2011 behind el shaddai.

see5harp

I enjoyed it for what it was. Loved the music and books with narration but it really didn't stand out when compared to many of the games that came late in the year like many have said. It was a lot better than El Shaddai though. That was a piece of shit.

george_us

I liked the atmosphere (reminded me of SMT: Nocturne for some reason) but the core mechanics are mediocre and the level design overall was meh with the exception of the 2D levels, which were flat out garbage.

see5harp

I liked the atmosphere (reminded me of SMT: Nocturne for some reason) but the core mechanics are mediocre and the level design overall was meh with the exception of the 2D levels, which were flat out garbage.

O god I had to keep reading to make sure you weren't going to say "level design was meh with the exception of the 2D levels, which were the greatest thing ever." Thank god I kept reading.

Top Bottom