• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadows of the Damned: Beautiful, stylish, fantastic music ...and an absolute bore =(

Cheddahz

Banned
This game isn't a bore at all, it was one of my favorite games from 2011

It plays like RE4, but it's full of B-rated horror elements and that's what made it so great

Arklite

Game is a solid 7, not too much wrong with it IMO but it felt like the game started to lose steam after a while. In particular the 2D section dragged on for waaay too long and the later boss fights with the reaper sisters (or whatever) were really uninspired. Most disappointing was that the game just felt restrained. I kept waiting for things to get really ridiculous but it never escalated as much as I'd hoped.

I can't remember much of the music outside of the opening menu screen (motorcycle ride) so that felt like a miss as well.

clockpunk

I traded it in after a single play through... Like many have said, the music was the highlight for me. It just does not compare with the majesty of Killer7. Nor will any future tile of his, I fear. I too found SotD pretty boring, and a relief when actually finished.

Still looking forward to checking out Lollipop Chainsaw, however... though I have a nasty feeling I'm gonna be burned again, such is the allure of Suda's hit-or-miss style.

robox

i'm up to the third act, and i feel like quitting. i feel like i've seen all that the game has to offer. the bosses battles have been pretty neat, but outside of those, i can't recall any other notable moments. i don't have much opinion either way on the art direction, the music has been pretty good, but only when i notice it, and i'm not one to enjoy a constant stream of dick jokes.

it might be because i just don't like the gameplay of shooters. i dont have the knack of using the stick to move a cursor over a tiny target and precisely time a button hit. (maybe a mouse is better for me.) combined with the fact that even the basic grunts require a headshot to kill off, it's a pretty tedious experience for me. i find myself using the torch whenever i can.

compared to other suda51 games, nmh and k7 were more cracked out than this and made for more interesting experiences. sotd just feels really generic. which makes me wonder whether this is really a suda51 game. i mean, he's not the direction; it was that italian guy, who has since left ghm.
vanquish is in a much higher tier than this, with a much faster pace, more epic moments, and a lot more variety. its bullet time also helped out my unskilled ass.

Top Bottom