• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowverse |OT| Anime Hearthstone now on Steam

So I crafted a Ledger Nephthys deck (it's popularity has really grown the last couple days since people are figuring out it actually beats dragon even when they have lightning blast) and I got to say it really is strong. I've beaten 1 dragon that used 3 lightning blasts on me, and another that used 2. That one card just isn't enough to handle 3 morde and 3 khawy. And death ledger on 4 when going first is so good. Midrange shadow is still a problem though when you don't get your foul tempests or death's breaths. Every matchup definitely seems winnable if not favored so far though.

Armaros

Midranged shadow with perfect curve and draws is almost unstoppable. It's just too efficient if everything lines up.

Full banish Haven is probably the only thing that can stop it but they lose to other decks, so you don't see them as much.

Luigi87

Shadow pretty much dominates the meta more-so than Dragon due to the various deck options. Mid-range overtook Aggro in the last week's meta analytics.

It's basically been stated that with tournament play it's Shadow, Dragon, and then bring a third class that one think can survive, so ultimately it will be interesting to see how Cygames responds to the meta.

KuroNeeko

Holy moley.

I take a break for a few weeks to play Un'goro and come back to find everything Necro / Dragon.

Feels like Charge (face) is once again behind the most degenerate decks. Wonder if they'll ever fix the mechanic, or start making fewer cards with that keyword.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Shadow pretty much dominates the meta more-so than Dragon due to the various deck options. Mid-range overtook Aggro in the last week's meta analytics.

It's basically been stated that with tournament play it's Shadow, Dragon, and then bring a third class that one think can survive, so ultimately it will be interesting to see how Cygames responds to the meta.

I feel like forest is the best atm tbh

KuroNeeko

I feel like forest is the best atm tbh

Sure, another deck that abuses charge mechanics. ^^

edit: Ho-ley sheet at this meta. I've played about 13 matches during lunch and seven of them were against Dragon, three were against Necro, and then Elf / Bishop / Royal had one each. I went from literally 3/4s of the way to A3 to de-ranking back to A1.

This is probably the worst meta I've seen in any online trading card game. lol

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Sure, another deck that abuses charge mechanics. ^^

edit: Ho-ley sheet at this meta. I've played about 13 matches during lunch and seven of them were against Dragon, three were against Necro, and then Elf / Bishop / Royal had one each. I went from literally 3/4s of the way to A3 to de-ranking back to A1.

This is probably the worst meta I've seen in any online trading card game. lol

You just need to make a deck that can kill very quickly or has very high burst damage and you need good CC That will get you through the current meta

What are you playing atm?

KuroNeeko

You just need to make a deck that can kill very quickly or has very high burst damage and you need good CC That will get you through the current meta

What are you playing atm?

Yeah, that's what it looks like. Problem is in the very statement you just made. Aggro / mid (mostly mid) and Ramp Dragon are so oppressive, they completely suppress other deck types. There's no paper-rock-scissors or play / counter-play. You're either Dragon OR the only thing that can beat Dragon.

My two preferred classes, Vampire and Bishop, especially the control variants, are almost non-existent. Bishop has one gimmicky Control variant and Vampire has aggro. While it's possible Garuda and Seraph may have extremely niche positions in this meta, mid-range vamp and control vamp (neither archtype was particularly strong before TotG) are gone.

Lucifer, Sunshine, Eira gone. Grail Bishop was snuffed out before it had a chance to take off (by Dragon).

Witch is dead.

Royal survives only on the power of Albert.

Elf survives on the power of Bolt and some roach, but not very well.

Meanwhile, Dragon can go face or ramp (or disco LOL).

Necro can do whatever (except Control lol)

Vamp has aggro.

When 50% of the meta comes from two classes-then you have a serious problem. Charge is a big part of it.

I'm playing a variant of rose elf right now that can beat Necro, but not Dragon.

I'll probably experiment with Bishop, Vampire, and Elf for a bit. I'll shelve Control Necro and Neph Necro, two archtypes I've enjoyed in the past, this expansion out of principle.

Maybe I'll buy Juri and experiment with some Witch.

I had some positive results with White Wolf Bolt / Jungle Warden at the beginning the expansion and it probably still has some legs. Trying to survive until turn 9 when your opponent ramps out on turn 6 or 7 and can charge your face for 15 is rough.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Shocking as it is most rune craft are doing earth rite decks these days in ranked.

Storm heaven is very strong atm with dark Jeane as well its not uncommon to do 18-22 dmg on turn 6

Seraphim sucks atm

KuroNeeko

Shocking as it is most rune craft are doing earth rite decks these days in ranked.

Storm heaven is very strong atm with dark Jeane as well its not uncommon to do 18-22 dmg on turn 6

Seraphim sucks atm

Yeah, I want to try Storm Bishop, but don't have DJ or the ether to craft after crafting my Belphs, Blood Moons, and Grails. Belph had / has so much potential, but hitting Vengeance in this meta...lol

Luigi87

My free pack from the fifth SFV day gave me a double legendary in Jeanne D'Arc and Pluto. Not that either are used, but... hey legendaries!

KuroNeeko

Three free ToG packs and Arena Tickets when you log in! (Compensation for disconnect-related problems)

I scooped up another Minthe and a Fairy Cage.

I think my time in Hearthstone has made me a worse SV player. I've dropped almost a full rank playing a variety of non-midrange shadow and ramp dragon decks. lol

Even Nephthys, which feels like it can deal with both Ramp Dragon and MR Shadow (with a little luck) was just losing over and over again.

Going to experiment with some Witch and Bishop tonight. Ranks don't really mean anything, I guess. They'll even out eventually...lol

Szadek

Got 4 legendaries and 2 animated golden ones from the new packs.
Can't complain about that.

Also, I'm very happy about the character sleeves from the new chapters.

Luigi87

No legendaries for me D=

But I did get a second Crystalia Aerin, so she's useful.
... also a fourth Rahab, so more vials whenever I decide to finally liquefy my extras (have several thousand vials worth saved, just waiting to see if any nerfs happen... I got three extra Grimnirs just in case...)

KuroNeeko

I got another Ginger...Cygames plz....

Anyone find any use for Minthe? I have two and was planning on holding on to them for the future, but after learning that you can't even use cards like Death's Grasp unless you have the necessary shadows, she just seems really, really bad.

Speaking of bad...I have two Gingers now....I can sac all four of them for a legend of my choice...maybe another Bloody Mary or Dark Jeanne or something.

Szadek

Minthe hasn't found a deck yet, but she is a combo card, so with the right support she could be very powerful in the future.
Keep her unless you really need the vials.

Right now there are only 2 cards that don't work with her if you don't have enough shadows, so that's not a big deal.

Ginger is meme card, more or less by design.
Chances are you will die before she is useful or the other player will wipe your board.
Unless they make some insane end of turn effects, she will never get played seriously.

Edit: Went 5-0 with this shadow deck:
https://shadowverse-portal.com/deck/2.5.6EhOi.6CnKW.6736Y.5_RZQ.6Ei7Q.68zBM.68zBg.6CnKC.6CsCi.65CDA.6737K.675ZG.675ZG.6AtG0.6Ejr6.673s2.6Aysw.65BUc.6923Y.5_Qr0.6736s.6Avhy.6Ejqy.6Ejqy.675Yo.5_RZa.6Ay8C.67ARI.6AviG.6EojS
Take 2 isn't too hard if you can bring your meta deck.

The devs did specifically say that Ginger isn't good right now, but they do plan on giving her support in the future. Minthe is pretty much only used in a tyrant deck that isn't that good.

Kumubou

The devs did specifically say that Ginger isn't good right now, but they do plan on giving her support in the future. Minthe is pretty much only used in a tyrant deck that isn't that good.
I'm not sure how they could even make Ginger good with some of the answers that are already in game. By the time you even get to play her, Shadow decks already ground you to dust and Dragon would have dropped 3-4 10PP bombs already, so even if you puke your hand you're still not making up value (and you are then one Bahamut or Lightning Blast away from being very sad). Even Haven (which can stall for days with a good draw) can't do much playing something like Aegis as it is.

fertygo

Finally can play complete package of P2W Dragon, 66k vial deck Kreygasm

I actually believe, less greedier build is better but fuck that my inner timmy satisfied

Kinda regretting not spend vial to Aegis Haven instead, maybe I should just craft Dark Jeanne and Aegis plus all the golden instead to spread my deck arsenal, but I'm still happy. Think I'm done buying pack and started saving for next expansion.

KuroNeeko

Shadow and Dragon now representing 62% of all decks played across all ranks.

Hope Cygames is planning on being proactive about it rather than taking the Hearthstone approach of, "It'll balance itself out when the new set drops."

Finally can play complete package of P2W Dragon, 66k vial deck Kreygasm

I actually believe, less greedier build is better but fuck that my inner timmy satisfied

Kinda regretting not spend vial to Aegis Haven instead, maybe I should just craft Dark Jeanne and Aegis plus all the golden instead to spread my deck arsenal, but I'm still happy. Think I'm done buying pack and started saving for next expansion.

Yeah, mayne, I'm saving ether for either Dark Jeanne or Soul Dealer / Beast Dominator.

My luck this expansion has been preeeeetty bad. I pulled two Minthes and THREE Gingers...those could have been Jeannes, Israfils, or dayum, I don't know, Aegises?

KuroNeeko

Honestly the meta got so boring that I don't even want to grind last 500 points to Master rank.

I've started playing decks that I normally don't play. I've been playing a LOT of Witch lately--namely Daria and D-shift. I really like Daria and that was completely unexpected. I'm even considering crafting a third (since I only have two).

Otherwise, hard to get back into Bishop since Grail isn't that competitive and Eira's no longer works. Vengeance Blood is still fun, and I've been playing it a lot with its dumb, big creatures, but since I have it and Bishop at level 100 already, I'm trying to branch out.

Absolutely zero interest in playing Neph as I played so much of it last expansion. I'd like to try to make something shadow-y with Lord of the Flies and whatnot, but just sick of Necro in general.

I started getting into Dragon, especially discard and ramp, at the end of the last expansion, but now I'm not really interested in it...

It's too bad, because every time I load up Hearthstone, I wish it had the Evo system, but every time I play Shadowverse I just get tired of seeing Necro / Dragon all the time.

Currently sitting at around top 4k in masters from using a mix of Aegis Haven, Vengeance Blood and Neph Shadow. Vengeance blood is actually really good for whenever you notice there's more dragon than shadow on ladder at a particular time. Kinda want to grind and try to get top 1k for the 20 free packs at the end of the month, but I don't think I'll have the time to keep at this pace. And playing against shadow who always seems to have the perfect curve every game gets really annoying really quickly.

Luigi87

So if you load up the game, change the language to Chinese (as the game just launched in Taiwan), you'll get 8 free Standard packs.

I got my third Moon Al-Mir'aj, second Satan and second Gabriel in my 8 packs, great value. Don't think any of them are meta right now but they're nice to have.

Luigi87

Definitely good ones to have even if they're not meta.
I didn't get a single legendary. Best I got was three golds, and two of them were the same, lol

Szadek

I got my third Moon Al-Mir'aj, second Satan and second Gabriel in my 8 packs, great value. Don't think any of them are meta right now but they're nice to have.
Al-Mir'aj gets played in Storm Heaven, which is pretty good.
Satan is cool, but too slow these days. I hope he makes a comeback somewhen, but KI wouldn't bet on it.

fertygo

I thought only the chinese that getting pack, thanks for the psa

Edit omg how some of you can be really lucky.. my packs is a lot of nothinh

We'll be getting 5 more free packs on May 15th (JP time?) since RoB Virgin Soul twitter reached 50k followers. That makes 25 free packs in May alone so far. Pretty crazy lol

Luigi87

The five free TotG packs became available today.

Also maintenance announced for next week, so... The nerfs might finally be coming.
I play Dragon, but yeah, even I haven't been bothering since the meta has become so stale.

Edit: Pulled a Maelstrom Serpent, and a second Dark Jeanne.

norm9

Been playing this the past few days. Did you all use the default decks to beat the story mode? Or did you all open the 40-50 card packs and made decks to beat it?

Everything I read says it's possible to beat all story mode missions with the default. I don't want to feel like I'm cheating. It took me about 20 attempts to beat mission 7 with forestcraft and I was tempted many times to open some packs and stack my default deck.

With all that said, really digging the game. Can't wait to test out some of the other crafts. I like the aethetics of the shadowcraft.

One more question- do you play decks based on what your best cards are or do you go with game play you enjoy most? Just curious to hear other opinions. I opened about fifteen packs and got a bunch of dragon cards, including a legendary and some golds. But I've never tried dragon craft and it doesn't appeal to me base don the art.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Been playing this the past few days. Did you all use the default decks to beat the story mode? Or did you all open the 40-50 card packs and made decks to beat it?

Everything I read says it's possible to beat all story mode missions with the default. I don't want to feel like I'm cheating. It took me about 20 attempts to beat mission 7 with forestcraft and I was tempted many times to open some packs and stack my default deck.

With all that said, really digging the game. Can't wait to test out some of the other crafts. I like the aethetics of the shadowcraft.

One more question- do you play decks based on what your best cards are or do you go with game play you enjoy most? Just curious to hear other opinions. I opened about fifteen packs and got a bunch of dragon cards, including a legendary and some golds. But I've never tried dragon craft and it doesn't appeal to me base don the art.
I started off playing what I liked the most, I have so much stuff at this point that I can play almost all the factions now.

I personally think depending on how good your starting pulls were that you should play based around them.

That is unless you are playing the phone version and can easily reset the data and just open your free packs over and over again til you pull about 11-12 legendaries to craft any mid range cost deck you had your eyes on

For mission 7, you can do it with the default deck, but it's not really cheating if you want to use better cards lol. They have added extra story missions for some classes (missions 10+ or 12+ I think?) where they could be challenging even with a well made deck and would probably be near impossible with the basic deck.

In early ranks, up until B and maybe even A rank, you can win with pretty much any deck so you should use what you like. Even later on you can use some fun decks and still climb, but you'll have to refine you'll deck. As for me, I don't like playing mirror matches, so I don't play very popular decks and still am climbing even in master rank.

norm9

I started off playing what I liked the most, I have so much stuff at this point that I can play almost all the factions now.

I personally think depending on how good your starting pulls were that you should play based around them.

That is unless you are playing the phone version and can easily reset the data and just open your free packs over and over again til you pull about 11-12 legendaries to craft any mid range cost deck you had your eyes on

For mission 7, you can do it with the default deck, but it's not really cheating if you want to use better cards lol. They have added extra story missions for some classes (missions 10+ or 12+ I think?) where they could be challenging even with a well made deck and would probably be near impossible with the basic deck.

In early ranks, up until B and maybe even A rank, you can win with pretty much any deck so you should use what you like. Even later on you can use some fun decks and still climb, but you'll have to refine you'll deck. As for me, I don't like playing mirror matches, so I don't play very popular decks and still am climbing even in master rank.

I won't be rerolling as I've gotten too far into the story mode (almost finished one character). Opened about half my cards now while I'm hiding in my cubbie at work. A pretty general spread of gold cards to all the characters so nobody is really sticking out as the one to use (dragon craft has two legendaries though [but it's so boring looking artwise]) so I guess now I just have to figure out what craft to settle on. Will have to do the tutorials for them.

Since it's not cheating, I'll start jotting down the cards I got and see how I can fit these suckers into my deck for added power.

Thanks for the responses.

Luigi87

It's oh so satisfying when you beat an opponent because they lose to their own BM.
Was playing Take Two (as Shadow), and my opponent (Haven) had me in lethal range. I had a Khawy on the board, but even if I healed with him he would have still got me, as I wouldn't be able to clear the next turn (he had Zeus on the board). But then he decided to show off and play Dark Jeanne, which of course allowed me to get additional healing off on Khawy, but thanks to the +2/0 to everyone on my side, I was able to clear the board next turn, deal a bunch of face damage, and setup the win, lol.

Edit: I seethe every time I face a Dragon player and they're playing Rowen... True Dragons play Forte!

Luigi87

Huh... so Dragonclaw Pendant + Grimnir does 8 damage... why didn't I anticipate that before?

Edit: Also Heavenly Aegis literally is just D.Shift for Haven.

KuroNeeko

Huh... so Dragonclaw Pendant + Grimnir does 8 damage... why didn't I anticipate that before?

Edit: Also Heavenly Aegis literally is just D.Shift for Haven.

Yeah, mayne. You can use the Fanfare: 3 damage Ogre + Evo: 3 damage Ogre to hit for 6 / 8 / 10 / 12 with Dragonclaw Pendants too!

Luigi87

Changes in tomorrow's update

1. The silver Shadowcraft follower Prince Catacomb will cost 4 play points instead of 3.
2. The silver Dragoncraft follower Wind Reader Zell will cost 4 play points instead of 2.
• Its attack will be 3 (or 5 when evolved) instead of 2 (or 4 when evolved).
• Its defense will be 4 (or 6 when evolved) instead of 2 (or 4 when evolved).
3. The silver Dragoncraft spell Lightning Blast will no longer have the effect ”Enhance (10): Banish all enemy followers and amulets."

I'm somewhat surprised that's the only nerf to Shadow, though that does make it compete with other 4 drops, and it still is a 1/1.
Dragon got hit hard, and this will pretty much put it back to where it was during RoB against Shadow decks. It doesn't have much in the way of responding to things like full Death's Breath. Zell combo can still exist with a Wyvern Cavalier, which ultimately means Zell will be a 5/6 body if that's pulled off.

At least I have 5 Lightning Blasts to vial.
Debatable if the 6 cost Lightning Blast is still worth it, or if this makes Odin more valuable again.

Overall this seems to confirm that they won't rebalance Legendaries (IE: Sybil and Eachtar)

I am also stunned that Grimnir didn't get nerfed.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Changes in tomorrow's update

1. The silver Shadowcraft follower Prince Catacomb will cost 4 play points instead of 3.
2. The silver Dragoncraft follower Wind Reader Zell will cost 4 play points instead of 2.
• Its attack will be 3 (or 5 when evolved) instead of 2 (or 4 when evolved).
• Its defense will be 4 (or 6 when evolved) instead of 2 (or 4 when evolved).
3. The silver Dragoncraft spell Lightning Blast will no longer have the effect “Enhance (10): Banish all enemy followers and amulets.”

I'm somewhat surprised that's the only nerf to Shadow, though that does make it compete with other 4 drops, and it still is a 1/1.
Dragon got hit hard, and this will pretty much put it back to where it was during RoB against Shadow decks. It doesn't have much in the way of responding to things like full Death's Breath. Zell combo can still exist with a Wyvern Cavalier, which ultimately means Zell will be a 5/6 body if that's pulled off.

At least I have 5 Lightning Blasts to vial.
Debatable if the 6 cost Lightning Blast is still worth it, or if this makes Odin more valuable again.

Overall this seems to confirm that they won't rebalance Legendaries (IE: Sybil and Eachtar)

I am also stunned that Grimnir didn't get nerfed.
Sybil and eactar are fine with these changes

Pooya

Back to Swordverse. People have no idea yet how powerful new sword cards are because hardly anyone played them in the last two months. Albert of course was always broken AF too.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Back to Swordverse. People have no idea yet how powerful new sword cards are because hardly anyone played them in the last two months. Albert of course was always broken AF too.

I mean, technically sword has been good this whole time. Shadow just had a pretty much near auto win set up if they got a few different opening hand configs. And dragon was pretty braindead just do stuff then spam aoe clears

Top Bottom