• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse [Wii U & 3DS] |OT| Not the Kick Starter Game

Yuterald

Is this game complete as in I remember people feeling that Risky's Revenge was like half a game or something. Just curious.

This is the most legit/real Shantae game since the original. I'm nearing the end, I believe, and it's easily the most competent and realized title to date too. All dungeons offer unique tile sets/backgrounds (unlike Risky's Revenge) as well. Virt also composed unique tracks for each dungeon (and most areas in general). There are also a lot of remixes of old tunes, dating all the way back to the original GBC title. I'm really digging the game, but I still think there's a ton of things they could do to make these games better. They're getting there though! Maybe 1/2 Genie-Hero will be the one to bring this shit to the next level.

Just downloaded the Wii U version tonight, first time I've played a game in the series. Went through the first dungeon and really enjoying it so far. Looking forward to playing it some more.

I've played through the game twice and I still don't know how you do this. How do you pull the sword out like that? Must be something that was cut.

bu8tHGl.jpg

Oh yeah. The music is fantastic. There's a few very Castlevania inspired ones in there I really love. One in the last stage sounds like something out of Metroid. I love how Jake references old VG music in his music. Check out the Shovel Knight sountrack too, it's by the same guy.

Corgi

Banned
Oh yeah. The music is fantastic. There's a few very Castlevania inspired ones in there I really love. One in the last stage sounds like something out of Metroid. I love how Jake references old VG music in his music. Check out the Shovel Knight sountrack too, it's by the same guy.

neat one of my favorites of the year too \m/

Definitely a big stepup from the dsi shantae too imo.

The music is indeed great.
The character themes and Rave in the Grave (Zombie Island) are my favorite so far.
Rave in the Grave sounds like something from Castlevania.

http://virt.bandcamp.com/track/rave-in-the-grave-zombie-island

Around 8pm last night, my sentiment regarding this game was something like, "Who's Shanty?" 16 hours later, I've beaten Pirate's Curse and am head over heels in love with this character. I remember thinking Guacamelee had better gameplay, but Bollywood Metroid pulled me in from a flavor perspective far more than the Dia de los Muertos vibes.

I need to go back and find all of the squids and dark magic. Are there any resources online that I'm missing? I am way to stupid to get them all without help.

It feels silly asking this, what with the thread title and all, but what's the deal with Half-Genie Hero? They've been funded forever, but were taking donations until very recently. Is it coming soon?

Around 8pm last night, my sentiment regarding this game was something like, "Who's Shanty?" 16 hours later, I've beaten Pirate's Curse and am head over heels in love with this character. I remember thinking Guacamelee had better gameplay, but Bollywood Metroid pulled me in from a flavor perspective far more than the Dia de los Muertos vibes.

I need to go back and find all of the squids and dark magic. Are there any resources online that I'm missing? I am way to stupid to get them all without help.

It feels silly asking this, what with the thread title and all, but what's the deal with Half-Genie Hero? They've been funded forever, but were taking donations until very recently. Is it coming soon?

HGH? Somewhere in 2015 I guess. Probably not anytime soon.

Definitely find all the dark magic Cacklebats. This is a Castlevania-like situation. You're getting the bad ending without the dark magic. I think your best bet for finding a guide is Youtube.

Who knows when 1/2 Genie Hero will come out. I'm guessing it'll be late 2015.

foltzie1

HGH? Somewhere in 2015 I guess. Probably not anytime soon.

Who knows when 1/2 Genie Hero will come out. I'm guessing it'll be late 2015.

It has been funded for a little over a year, not forever. Games take time, though like the others I expect 2015.

gunstarhero

I'm about 30% into the game and loving every second. The gameplay/control is perfect - Guacamelee is a great comparison.

Only worry I have right now is the difficulty. It's been stupid-easy up until now. I'm not really complaining since the game is so addicting and fun, but I do wish it had some more challenging enemies/combat. Does the game get more challenging later on?

its a shame this thread is only 2 pages - leads me to believe it's not getting the love it deserves. Hopefully some media gets around post holiday and puts the spotlight on this game. It's awesome fun.

I'm about 30% into the game and loving every second. The gameplay/control is perfect - Guacamelee is a great comparison.

Only worry I have right now is the difficulty. It's been stupid-easy up until now. I'm not really complaining since the game is so addicting and fun, but I do wish it had some more challenging enemies/combat. Does the game get more challenging later on?

its a shame this thread is only 2 pages - leads me to believe it's not getting the love it deserves. Hopefully some media gets around post holiday and puts the spotlight on this game. It's awesome fun.

The difficulty ramps up a little bit in the last few areas.

Who knows why this game hasn't gotten a lot of coverage. I guess an eShop exclusive is not a big priority when you have games like Master Chief Collection and Assassing Creed Unity to review.

gunstarhero

The difficulty ramps up a little bit in the last few areas.

Who knows why this game hasn't gotten a lot of coverage. I guess an eShop exclusive is not a big priority when you have games like Master Chief Collection and Assassing Creed Unity to review.

True. I guess it's easy for the media to get distracted by a couple of broken-ass "AAA" titles :p

A shame - this game really is a gem. So much personality, humor, and awesome platforming for 20 bucks. It's a steal.

gunstarhero

Anyone know what those sarcophagus-looking things I'm finding on some islands are? Do I need to come back to open the. later in the game?

@MUWANdo

Banned
The 3DS release got a reasonable amount of hype but neither version got a lot of press on release because the game got delayed multiple times and they only ever announced the release date/s a few days in advance. Launching the Wii U version on xmas day probably didn't help, either.

gunstarhero

Any one else completely stuck on the 2nd to last island
snow+flying platforms level
?

I've been over it 10 times already and I don't see anything I could have missed. I spoke to
Bolo
, brought back the
targeting module to the baron
and nothing.

Im assuming I need to find another den of evil - but it's REALLY stumping me.

Any one else completely stuck on the 2nd to last island
snow+flying platforms level
?

I've been over it 10 times already and I don't see anything I could have missed. I spoke to
Bolo
, brought back the
targeting module to the baron
and nothing.

Im assuming I need to find another den of evil - but it's REALLY stumping me.

Did you follow the delivery quests all the way? Ammo Baron sends you to Rotty's place, then the Saliva girls shoot a cannon to open up the lower part of the ice level.

gunstarhero

Did you follow the delivery quests all the way? Ammo Baron sends you to Rotty's place, then the Saliva girls shoot a cannon to open up the lower part of the ice level.

Ug... no, I must have missed that part. Strange he doesn't repeat himself if you talk to him again. He just says he needs his recruits.

Thanks a bunch!

Calamari41

41 > 38

He told me to
bring him Barracuda Joe after I showed him the spirit... But I can't figure out where to go with the spirit to bring Joe to him. I tried Rotty's place, do I need to go back to the village of lost Souls or whatever that was?

He told me to
bring him Barracuda Joe after I showed him the spirit... But I can't figure out where to go with the spirit to bring Joe to him. I tried Rotty's place, do I need to go back to the village of lost Souls or whatever that was?

Did you talk to Rotty's brother? It's been a few weeks, but I think that's where you're supposed to go.

GaussTek

What happened to that 3DS sale? It never started, right? If so, I hope they re-schedule it soon and don't abandon the idea ($15 is the ideal price for me).

Corgi

Banned
Biggest issue i have with the game so far is enemies are really starting to hit pretty damn hard (island 5) yet still drop the same amount of health. And the 3ds dpad isn't the best around, especially with it positioned at a shitty location so I tend to get hit more than i'd like.

Just end up eating more food, so its not like the game is 'harder', just needlessly annoying at times.

What happened to that 3DS sale? It never started, right? If so, I hope they re-schedule it soon and don't abandon the idea ($15 is the ideal price for me).

They never did actually get it on sale. I think they'll do it later, but I don't know when.

Biggest issue i have with the game so far is enemies are really starting to hit pretty damn hard (island 5) yet still drop the same amount of health. And the 3ds dpad isn't the best around, especially with it positioned at a shitty location so I tend to get hit more than i'd like.

Just end up eating more food, so its not like the game is 'harder', just needlessly annoying at times.

The enemies do start getting much livelier in the last couple of levels. That's when I finally started using the shield and pike balls.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Nice, I think I'll go and grab it n... evermind, not out in EU and not even a release date has been announced so far. As usual with Wayforward.

Corgi

Banned
They never did actually get it on sale. I think they'll do it later, but I don't know when.

The enemies do start getting much livelier in the last couple of levels. That's when I finally started using the shield and pike balls.

also with hair whip damage maxed at +8 makes fighting normal mobs a pain at times. Guess i'm suppose to use milk.

also still pissed I got scammed buying the most useless move ever, that super kick thing.

And the 3DS sale is on! The 3Ds version of Shantae and the Pirate's Curse is $14.99 on the 3DS eShop until 8:59 a.m. PT on Jan. 22, 2015,

SerTapTap

Final boss time, should I REALLY get all the dark magic first or should I beat them without them with 100% completion?

I love the Shinespark so much. Gives you a feeling of power and speed where the Metroid Shinespark is always so incredibly fussy and situational it might as well be a key. The downward thrust is the opposite story, I guess they didn't want it to be as OP as it is in Zelda 2.

also with hair whip damage maxed at +8 makes fighting normal mobs a pain at times. Guess i'm suppose to use milk.

also still pissed I got scammed buying the most useless move ever, that super kick thing.

That kick is SO BAD, I'm pretty sure even basic hair is better DPS than it, but any single upgrade definitely does.

Final boss time, should I REALLY get all the dark magic first or should I beat them without them with 100% completion?

I love the Shinespark so much. Gives you a feeling of power and speed where the Metroid Shinespark is always so incredibly fussy and situational it might as well be a key. The downward thrust is the opposite story, I guess they didn't want it to be as OP as it is in Zelda 2.

That kick is SO BAD, I'm pretty sure even basic hair is better DPS than it, but any single upgrade definitely does.

You need all the Dark Magic to get the good/real ending. You get the bad ending if you don't.

SerTapTap

I figured it'd be something like that, but is there any reason I'd want to see the bad ending (different fight, it's funny, unique unlock etc)?

I figured it'd be something like that, but is there any reason I'd want to see the bad ending (different fight, it's funny, unique unlock etc)?

It's just missing like half of the real story. I guess it's worth playing just to see the bad outcome, which is kind of sad. It's not actually a big part of the ending, though. Just a little dialogue.

Almost bought it a few days ago, but figured a little might be shaved off the top any moment in a sale. $14.99 will do.

Downloading now and looking forward to playing once I can divert myself from another recent pickup, EOIV.

Top Bottom