• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero (PS3/4/Vita/360/XB1/WiiU/PC) Kickstarter [800K/400K Funded]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ithil

iH3e7wXOZyC9w.gif

This fucking music is killing me.

700k could be within reach.
It's going to take a crazy final day for that to happen, which I suppose is always possible.

They are keeping Paypal open for an unspecified amount of time though, so they'll probably squeak to it eventually.

I would also guess that the other bonus chapters will make it in as DLC later on.

Psxphile

I would also guess that the other bonus chapters will make it in as DLC later on.

Problem I have with that is that it seems they were intended to be sandwiched between the beginning and end levels, and any extra transformations/abilities gained would have had an impact/use in later stages. Can that still be accomplished as DLC after the game is complete?

Best they can probably do is make it self-contained with no spill-over into the main game? Or perhaps as an optional "quest" within the game like the recently revealed Hyper Light bonus.

EDIT:
rbucbqW.jpg

Almost finished.

Problem I have with that is that it seems they were intended to be sandwiched between the beginning and end levels, and any extra transformations/abilities gained would have had an impact/use in later stages. Can that still be accomplished as DLC after the game is complete?
They're not intended for anything yet, they're just broad ideas that they setup as stretch goals.

I would surmise that anything they get funded for here will be built into the already planned game as you mention, but that the other ideas could easily be built into a post-game (or a new game entirely) if they decide to add them in later with their own funds.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
The new update says that if you are at $55 or more, each extra copy you pay for (+$15) will nab you an extra Tinkerbat DLC code.

You know, I'm probably just being ludditical here, but something really irks me about releasing a piece of software with sections/features permanently locked off for anyone not part of a promotion.

I understand physical extras, and I understand downloadable extras (music, art, etc). However, releasing the game with features stripped out for non-backers irks me to no end.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
You know, I'm probably just being ludditical here, but something really irks me about releasing a piece of software with sections/features permanently locked off for anyone not part of a promotion.

I understand physical extras, and I understand downloadable extras (music, art, etc). However, releasing the game with features stripped out for non-backers irks me to no end.

I don't know why it should bother anyone so much. One you pay for the "retail" edition of the game, you get everything that's included in that monetary purchase. The people who showed support for a product early on, and likely gave even more money for it than required, get something extra. They paid more, they showed faith in their support, though they'd have to wait to see a return on their investment. They deserve it.

I prefer in game stuff to physical stuff, sometimes. It actually is tied to the product you invested in. Physical items are very cool, but I always feel kind of odd at physical stuff in KS; I'd rather see more in-game items (animations, enemies, soundtracks), or even modes (image galleries, fancy players for the soundtracks, etc) as opposed to expensive trinkets and bobbles. (Though I'd love to see a lot of that stuff produced later on, so I don't hate it at all.)

DDayton

I don't know why it should bother anyone so much. One you pay for the "retail" edition of the game, you get everything that's included in that monetary purchase. The people who showed support for a product early on, and likely gave even more money for it than required, get something extra. They paid more, they showed faith in their support, though they'd have to wait to see a return on their investment. They deserve it.

Well, it's partially the whole "lost to the ages" concept, partially the feeling that pieces of the game experience are being intentionally held back. I just feel that anyone purchasing a piece of software should be able to get (or, better yet, GET) every part of that software purchase.

(Yes, I dislike promo codes for limited items too.)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero/posts/616915

Update #35: FREE! Backer Exclusive Risky Boots Costume!

LHKmdZf.png

At this time we’d like to thank everyone who’s helped fund this game by offering one more Backer Exclusive costume -- “Classic Risky” -- free of charge!

As with the Shantae Blue Costume and Hyper Light Drifter DLC, if you’ve backed at $12 or above (any of the tiers that include the game), you will receive one download code per copy of the game you’ve reserved. Have fun sporting these retro colors!

The red and black colors seen in this costume are based on Risky Boots as she originally appeared in 2002’s “Shantae” for Game Boy Color. The idea of using her classic colors came from a backer right here on our Kickstarter Comments page! This is just another example of how much fun we can have making this game as a community! Spread the word; we’re now up to THREE backer-exclusive items!!
24-HOUR COUNTDOWN on Twitch TV!

Tomorrow beginning at 10:00 AM PDT we'll host a slew of Twitch TV broadcasts featuring numerous games, guests, Q&A and other fun events. Subscribe today so you're ready to join in the chaos that is the SHANTAE: HALF-GENIE HERO FINAL COUNTDOWN! Our Kickstarter campaign ends Friday morning at 10:01 AM, meaning THURSDAY (tomorrow) will be our BIGGEST PUSH EVER! TUNE IN and watch the madness unfold!

Awesome!

Link Man

Banned
FREE! Backer Exclusive Risky Boots Costume!

Update #35 · Oct 2, 2013

bRkqBnp.png

At this time we’d like to thank everyone who’s helped fund this game by offering one more Backer Exclusive costume -- “Classic Risky” -- free of charge!

As with the Shantae Blue Costume and Hyper Light Drifter DLC, if you’ve backed at $12 or above (any of the tiers that include the game), you will receive one download code per copy of the game you’ve reserved. Have fun sporting these retro colors!

The red and black colors seen in this costume are based on Risky Boots as she originally appeared in 2002’s “Shantae” for Game Boy Color. The idea of using her classic colors came from a backer right here on our Kickstarter Comments page! This is just another example of how much fun we can have making this game as a community! Spread the word; we’re now up to THREE backer-exclusive items!!

24-HOUR COUNTDOWN on Twitch TV!

Tomorrow beginning at 10:00 AM PDT we'll host a slew of Twitch TV broadcasts featuring numerous games, guests, Q&A and other fun events. Subscribe today so you're ready to join in the chaos that is the SHANTAE: HALF-GENIE HERO FINAL COUNTDOWN! Our Kickstarter campaign ends Friday morning at 10:01 AM, meaning THURSDAY (tomorrow) will be our BIGGEST PUSH EVER! TUNE IN and watch the madness unfold!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero/posts/616915?ref=activity

Edit: Gah, late!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Alt color Risky is a nice nod, and that OctoBra... that's "fanart" bait if I ever saw it, lol.

(And shouldn't they be saying "at 15 bucks or above"? The $12 tier to get the game has been sold out for a while, right?)

Well, it's partially the whole "lost to the ages" concept, partially the feeling that pieces of the game experience are being intentionally held back. I just feel that anyone purchasing a piece of software should be able to get (or, better yet, GET) every part of that software purchase.

(Yes, I dislike promo codes for limited items too.)

To me, I feel like those things wouldn't even exist if not for the assistance of those others. So instead of feeling like it's a part of what I'm buying, I just see it as a bonus.

Especially helps that a lot of it feels like "cutting room floor" or "only meaningful to those who know it exist." These things either wouldn't have made it into the game back in the day, or would have possibly been removed or hidden behind codes/game genie-style stuff.

If they locked entire campaigns, large-resource bosses, and unique weapons with special animations that had no equal in game behind backer-exclusive stuff, I'd be more annoyed... but palette colors and what amounts to the ability to play a pre-existing enemy in the full game just for lulz? Good for a few minutes of fun, but nothing game-breaking!

And it's not like people couldn't find ways to unlock, duplicate, or mod this kind of content into the game themselves anyway... Is anything really so restricted, in this modern age? :-/

The problem is that you're thinking of it as things that are being "stripped out," when the reality of it is that they're things being added in thanks to the people that are supporting their project. And in MOST cases, they are very minor things like a palette swap (a personal weakness of mine), a costume or a little unique weapon or trinket. I'm pretty much fine with that, even though I do not back many games on Kickstarter and will miss out on some of these things when I buy games after they are released.

Now what I'm NOT a fan of is when they start putting that stuff into high dollar backer tiers. At that point it starts to feel slightly gross and predatory. I only caved in to the Tinkerbat transformation because I actually wanted to SUPPORT the game and WayForward. I also felt better about it once they announced the two (now three) free bonuses that were for ALL backers.

The only thing that actually caused me to NOT back a game at all was when Mercenary Kings put an actual achievement behind a $60 support tier. That crossed a strange imaginary line for me that made me pull my support for the project (which apparently turned out to be a blessing, but whatever).

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Alt color Risky is a nice nod, and that OctoBra... that's "fanart" bait if I ever saw it, lol.

(And shouldn't they be saying "at 15 bucks or above"? The $12 tier to get the game has been sold out for a while, right?)
Then the people at the $12 tier wouldn't get them. Also, spots in the $12 tier open up when people cancel it and go for the higher ones.

DDayton

Now what I'm NOT a fan of is when they start putting that stuff into high dollar backer tiers. At that point it starts to feel slightly gross and predatory. I only caved in to the Tinkerbat transformation because I actually wanted to SUPPORT the game and WayForward. I also felt better about it once they announced the two (now three) free bonuses that were for ALL backers.

I dislike it all, but I do feel like the "locking off more for higher backers" is worse.

It's irritating and makes me think less of them as a company/group.

(Yes, I'm a backer...)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Shaded OctoBra needs a Flintstones-like snarky commentary track.

Then the people at the $12 tier wouldn't get them. Also, spots in the $12 tier open up when people cancel it and go for the higher ones.

It's just odd wording to me, I guess. It makes it sound like there is a currently available, ready-for-purchase $12 tier that'll get you the bonuses still... but for a majority of those buying in now, enticed by the bonuses, they'll have to pay $15 or more to get them.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Ahhh, that Octo reminds me of "Big Earl"... impressive loss of weight for him! Good to see he's makin' a living without Toejam!

toejam.gif

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
In the past 24-hours I've backed this, Mighty No.9 and Hyper Light Drifter. I'll fund anything that looks good and sees the PS4 as a prospective platform

I hope EuroGAF does some good work on this tonight, I want to wake up and see numbers.

$612,617 in KS pledges + $20,026 in Pay Pal pledges, they have about $632,643 total. That $700,000 stretch goal will be attainable. I'm still not seeing the $800K stretch goal happening though.

$646,000 right now, so the costumes should be a lock.

Depending on how well their final day goes, they could very well nickel and dime their way to $800,000 through PayPal depending on how long they keep that open (and how well they push that to keep bringing pledges in).

TDLink

$646,000 right now, so the costumes should be a lock.

Depending on how well their final day goes, they could very well nickel and dime their way to $800,000 through PayPal depending on how long they keep that open (and how well they push that to keep bringing pledges in).

I think $150k from here before the end of the kickstarter isn't unreasonable due to the typical final day kickstarter push. It will probably be close though regarding hitting $800k. And I definitely can't see it reaching a goal beyond that.

Would love to be proven wrong though.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
"This project will be funded on Friday Oct 4, 1:01pm EDT." (10:01am PDT)

Bad time of day with most people at school/work.

I think $150k from here before the end of the kickstarter isn't unreasonable due to the typical final day kickstarter push. It will probably be close though regarding hitting $800k. And I definitely can't see it reaching a goal beyond that.

Would love to be proven wrong though.
I don't know, that would be more than their first two days combined. I think they will probably match their first day or so. That should leave about $60,000 or $70,000 for PayPal, which I think they'll get. Yeah, I'm feeling good about pigtail genie being in the final game.

I don't know, that would be more than their first two days combined. I think they will probably match their first day or so. That should leave about $60,000 or $70,000 for PayPal, which I think they'll get. Yeah, I'm feeling good about pigtail genie being in the final game.

I really hope so. I want them to make that 800k goal if nothing else. It sounds like a cool bonus chapter and I want to play it. I don't see 1.1mil happening for voiceovers, so I just keep my hopes pegged at 800k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom