• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shaving-GAF, help me out please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I grow facial hair extremely quickly, so instead of shaving every other day I just said fuck it and went with the beard. Consider it, OP.

ShaneB

I had to shave :( . Job interview at a law firm...no beard allowed.

and seriously OP, get the Gillette Fusion pro-glide and the ultra sensitive shaving lotion. you'll be good to go.

If only it was this simple. There's a million different options because everyone is different. The hair that grows on my face is not the same as yours.

I grow facial hair extremely quickly, so instead of shaving every other day I just said fuck it and went with the beard. Consider it, OP.

And no way I could grow a beard. I grow ugly disgusting whiskers that feel dirty and just make me look like a bum.

So I grow a terrible beard and it grows really slowly. I shave once a week. I've been using Gillette's Mach 3 and never bothered with any of the fancier razors until I saw this thread today and was inspired to upgrade. Went to Boots and picked up a Gillette Fusion Prologue and just shaved the fuck out of my face. It makes my previous razor seem like a goddamn lawn mower against my skin. This shit is smooth.

I always shave in the shower and it's the last thing I do. The steam helps to loosen things up. I also use a shaving cream that has aloe to cut down on irritation.

A tip that I read about right here on GAF for those using razors such as Gillette. Once a week, take the razor blade and run it backwards against the hair on your arms(some people also say do this on jeans). Your blade will remain sharp for months and months.

Loki

Count of Concision
I have very sensitive skin (especially above my top lip and on the lower sides of my neck), so this is my regimen if I want to avoid razor burn, bumps, and general irritation:

Razor: Gillette Mach 3 Turbo (I always change the blade once the blue gel strip has worn out and turned white, which usually means a new blade once every 3-4 shaves)

Frequency: I can only shave every other day if I am to maintain unirritated skin. I can and have shaved daily when I've needed to (e.g., special occasions that don't line up with my shaving schedule etc.), but it always results in irritation.

Shaving cream: Edge Sensitive Skin gel w/aloe.

Routine: Either after a warm/hot shower where I soak my neck/facial hair in water for at least 3-5 minutes, or after I splash my face/neck with hot water at the sink for a couple of minutes to open the pores. I then apply a generous amount of shaving cream and shave one side (both with and then lightly against the grain in select areas such as under my chin and behind my jaw near my ears). I then splash that side of my face thoroughly with cold water to brace the skin and reduce irritation. Then I do the same for the other side, finishing with a long cold water rinse, drying with paper towels (slightly dampening the towels before using them on the more sensitive areas of my face/neck or else it will irritate me; regular towels irritate me even more, however, which is why I use paper towels).

Aftershave: I stopped using ANY aftershave lotion (and I tried many, some of which were okay) and settled on using Aveeno daily moisturizing lotion (with colloidal oatmeal). Using straight moisturizer instead of aftershave lotion (even aftershave lotions which contain moisturizers) has helped me tremendously and resulted in less irritation.

Despite all this, I simply cannot help getting irritated skin if I shave more than once every couple of days. I should also note that my hair grows relatively slowly, so I'm able to get away with this.

41izG0UJUaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

DasRaven

This, I am expecting a Feather all-stainless razor for Christmas.

I switched to wet shaving about a year ago because of ingrowns and burn from disposables.
In 1 year, I've used about 2 packs of Feather blades, one basic Omega soap cup, on basic Omega boar brush, and a cheap butterfly-open DE razor from Amazon.

I spent maybe $70 total and I haven't had one significant burn or ingrown since.
Now I'm upgrading to heirloom quality tools because I'm never going back.

Join/Read BadgerAndBlade for tips and techniques, go slow to avoid bleeding, enjoy your new skill and better results.

Meier

Try shaving after washing your face while in the shower. Works for me. I just use something like a pro glide or mach 3 or something. Don't have to use gel.

Why wouldn't you use both?

OP: Target has a ballin' deal on Schick's razor right now. Razor plus a 4-blade refill pack and some shave gel for $9.99. Jump in.

DonCuco

Yeah I am going to look into the safety razor this weekend. I already am game with the shaving brush and whatnot, but I am tired of clogging my fusion multiblade razor with my thick facial hair.

Any good relatively cheap (~50USD) razors you can suggest?

This one is a little over $50.. It's a slant that's perfect for your thick facial hair.

RZ-MER-39C.jpg

ShaneB

Lots of great advice, glad I finally made this thread. I wish I made it sooner because I would've loved to have asked for a shaving kit for christmas. :(

These are the only blades I use. Combine a very sharp blade with a forgiving razor such as the Gilette Tech, and even a novice should consistently get a close shave with few nicks.

I recommend Taylor of Old Bond Street creams (especially avocado) and a badger brush, as well.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
this is my daily regiment, i had horrible razor bumps and ingrown hairs before i learned that the small things matter.

-soak face/chin with warm water
-use your favorite facial soap to clean your face (wash in circular downward motions)
-wash face with warm water
-use shave gel or hair conditioner, rub into face with circular motion
-shave, going with the grain. never with the grain.
-wash face with warm water
-wash face with cold water
-apply aftershave or lotion, i personally like this product called bio-oil from amazon. expensive though.

Missing a key word somewhere here.

Mindlog

No doubt about it. Feather GAF is best-shave GAF.

I use many different soaps and creams. Taylor soaps and Proraso creams will do you no wrong.

ShaneB

Feather blades, gotcha. Guess I'll order those, as well as the Proraso cream since I know I've seen that mentioned multiple times before.

Going to a barber shop today for a shave for a clean slate, it'll be my first time, I guess that feels kinda sad knowing it's been so long since I've felt like I've had a good shave.

Thinking of getting a proper straight razor sometime once I learn WTF stropping is.

If you want to dip your toe into the straight-razor waters without a lot of expense, try the DOVO Shavette. It's a straight-razor handle that takes disposable razor blades. It's what a barber typically uses for straight-razor shaves these days. I'm perfectly satisfied with it. Get the different-sized blade holders so you can try the different styles.

Draft

I made the switch to safety razor shaving about a year ago, and will never go back. The only downside is that it takes a bit longer to shave. Everything else is a marked improvement. Better shave, cheaper (in the long term), and it makes you feel like Don Draper.

My kit:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NL0T1G/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I went with the long handle because my hands are kind of big, but the way you hold a safety razor is up near the top, so it really doesn't matter.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JPMHWK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Are there better blades? Maybe, I wouldn't know since I'm still working on this one. 50 blades for $30 bucks. A blade lasts maybe 3-4 shaves, so I use about one a week. Do you have any idea how much an equivalent supply of mach 3 cartridges would have cost?

hint: over $100 fucking dollars.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XVTYYY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000K8FUFM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Gotta go badger.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001JHEY14/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RIAD0W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This shit changed my life. My neck used to get the worst razor burn. No more.

It's a hefty up front investment, but consider that you'll be shaving for the next 50 years, and it's clear that safety razor shaving kicks the shit out of cartridge shaving ROI.

slit

07050102025_450x450_a.jpg

This stuff works pretty well for me.

Whatever you do don't use that Bump Patrol shit. It smells like garbage water and doesn't work.

ShaneB

I made the switch to safety razor shaving about a year ago, and will never go back. The only downside is that it takes a bit longer to shave. Everything else is a marked improvement. Better shave, cheaper (in the long term), and it makes you feel like Don Draper.

My kit:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NL0T1G/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I went with the long handle because my hands are kind of big, but the way you hold a safety razor is up near the top, so it really doesn't matter.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JPMHWK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Are there better blades? Maybe, I wouldn't know since I'm still working on this one. 50 blades for $30 bucks. A blade lasts maybe 3-4 shaves, so I use about one a week. Do you have any idea how much an equivalent supply of mach 3 cartridges would have cost?

hint: over $100 fucking dollars.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XVTYYY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000K8FUFM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Gotta go badger.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001JHEY14/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RIAD0W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This shit changed my life. My neck used to get the worst razor burn. No more.

It's a hefty up front investment, but consider that you'll be shaving for the next 50 years, and it's clear that safety razor shaving kicks the shit out of cartridge shaving ROI.

Another great post, thanks for the info!

I just got from the barber and had a shave with a straight blade. My face hurts, but it's a good hurt. I guess it's just something I'm not use to at all, but it certainly feels like a great save, and nice to feel so clean shaven. It's kind of terrifying thinking of doing that to myself, lol. I know I'm looking into a safety blade and not a straight blade, still... it's not what I'm use to at all after years of shitty electric shaves.

lunchtoast

So I took the plunge and ordered these

Merkur Model 180 Long Handled Safety Razor
pzQZR.jpg

Proraso Shaving Soap, Ultra Sensitive Skin
p9TNP.jpg

Tweezerman Men's Shaving Brush
7ff3C.jpg

Colonel Conk Evernice Model 775 Chrome Safety Razor Stand
ca4pK.jpg

I keep a five o' clock shadow so this will mostly be used for my neck and the occasional facial shave. I've never used a safety razor before so I'm looking forward to it.

Jake.

DE shaving is dope, i actually look forward to shaving ever since i got into it - becomes its own little ritual.

Dougald

I got fed up of disposable razors 2 years ago, both with the prices and the terrible job they were doing of shaving my face.

Get a decent double-edged safety razor (ok it will cost a lot but you'll save a fortune on blades!), some shaving soap and a badger hair brush, and do it right. Nothing compares to shaving with a brush, you'll never want to go back to that awful "goop in a can". Just make sure you get a decent alcohol-type aftershave to use afterwards and you're good to go.

lunchtoast

I got fed up of disposable razors 2 years ago, both with the prices and the terrible job they were doing of shaving my face.

Get a decent double-edged safety razor (ok it will cost a lot but you'll save a fortune on blades!), some shaving soap and a badger hair brush, and do it right. Nothing compares to shaving with a brush, you'll never want to go back to that awful "goop in a can". Just make sure you get a decent alcohol-type aftershave to use afterwards and you're good to go.

Why alcohol based? My face gets dry enough.

mcrae

2 bladed bic with the moisture strip hits the sweet spot for me between effectiveness, price, and longevity. use a shaving gel, only shave after showering in hot water and washing your face during the shower, and use firm even strokes... hard to fuck it up

Rad-

I have a similar skin as you and the only thing that feels good on it is the more expensive electric razors. Braun 700 series is the shit if you have 300 to throw into a razor.

Pretty much any razor under 150 bucks makes my skin red-ish. I used to think those expensive razors were overpriced with silly features but they do cut much better yet more softly.

Sarcasm

I can't find any of this where I live. I guess thats what I get for moving to a country where the general populace has no body hair.

1) Shave in the shower at the end.
2) Shaving cream is a scam. I use soap.
3) Apply Aloe gel immediately after shaving.

My face/neck is very sensitive always getting torn up when shaving, but this perplexing process has made shaving nothing. Oh, I also started using one of those battery powered gillette fusions, which seems pretty decent.

Love me some shaving talk..

Here's my current setup:

Merkur 34c
jDxUJ.jpg

With either Roche-Posay Homme XY gel (around 8€),
zSr1P.jpg

Kappus Rasiercreme (less than 1€, yet still fine)
LoD3z.jpg

or natural handmade soap + this 100€+ Muehle badger silver tail shaving brush that I haven't used in almost a year since I became a vegetarian...
90nvm.png

+
this mug
qNBL2.jpg

Here's a ranking of the blades I've tried so far:
Personna Platinum >> Bolzano Superinox = Merkur Super > Robart Extradünn > regular ass Wilkinsons

Oh, I never reuse blades.

.GqueB.

Banned
I have problems with ingrown hairs and such so my girlfriend got me this shaving kit recently

Art of shaving 4 elements kit

Changed my life. It made me realize that Ive basically been shaving incorrectly. The oil they provide really protects your skin and makes shaving less of a chore. This kit is a bit pricey but I would take a look at what they include in the kit and go from there. Especially the oil.

LogicStep

I dunno if there's a thread for this already but I thought I could ask here... For you guys that shave your balls/penis/that area, is there an easy and quick way to get rid of hair down there? Or am I stuck shaving that whole area slowly and carefully?

cnizzle06

Banned
Thinking about picking up a Braun Series 7 electric razor. I currently use a Gillette Proglide. Am I gonna face buyers remorse?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom