• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shaving-GAF, help me out please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zero_suit

Also this stuff is just awesome

v6o3E.jpg

Yes, indeed. I got it at Target for like $5.50 a week ago.

Esch

Banned
Another +1 for the Nivea post shave balm. Nicked some out of my dad's cabinet(left mine at school) and i gotta say ive never used a better one besides my Aqua di gio special that came with a box. Good stuff for sure.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The only thing that sucks about the Nivea post shave balm is that they seem to purposely use a material for the bottle that is heavy and it seems like it is designed in the inside to hold less of the balm than you would think.

bob page

Get a DE safety razor. Once you try it, you'll never go back.

Try it with some Feather blades and Art of Shaving unscented cream and your skin will feel like a baby's bottom.

Edit: Just saw you went with the Merkur. Good man.

lunchtoast

Also what's the consensus on witch hazel as an after shave? I've also heard quite a bit about alum block which apparently helps soothe out any irritation.

That's what I'm going to be using, just because I already have some and use it daily. Haven't seen any reasons online against it.

Also watching barbershop shaves on youtube. Looks so relaxing.

Also what's the consensus on witch hazel as an after shave? I've also heard quite a bit about alum block which apparently helps soothe out any irritation.

I like witch hazel a lot, but some brands can smell a little weird. Also, don't buy an expensive specialized alum block. The rock Crystal deodorant is the same thing and can be found at grocery/drug stores.

That's what I'm going to be using, just because I already have some and use it daily. Haven't seen any reasons online against it.

Also watching barbershop shaves on youtube. Looks so relaxing.

I like witch hazel a lot, but some brands can smell a little weird. Also, don't buy an expensive specialized alum block. The rock Crystal deodorant is the same thing and can be found at grocery/drug stores.

So would one use either witch hazel or alum block, or do they both provide their own advantages?

bob page

It really depends on the type of witch hazel that you use. If you use the kind with alcohol (like Dickinson's) then you technically shouldn't need an alum block since the alcohol should help disinfect. If you use the non-alcohol type (like Thayers) then an alum block might help if you nick yourself.

As for me, I cleanse, apply witch hazel, then moisturize post-shave.

Just thought I'd chime in say that I used my new set up twice now and I'm in love. There's simply no irritation post-shave which is new to me, and that proraso ultra-sensitive shaving cream is the bee's knees. Plus, there's something oddly relaxing about wet-shaving. I do desperately need a steam-proof mirror though.

So which blades do you guys use? I have fairly sensitive skin so I'm okay with doing away with a blade after every shave. I'm using Feather blades right now, but I'm open to other suggestions.

SUPREME1

Banned

Been pretty lazy recently and haven't been doing proper wet shaves. Either I've been keepign a 5 0'clock shadow or doing a quick once over with sensor excel and some bullshit shaving foam... this is usually because I'm headed to work and need to clean up a bit. I also have two electric shavers which I've been using to look decent.

However, I just purchased a new pack of Merkur blades and will get back in the habit.

I also picked up a box of the Nivea balm pictured above, since I've noticed my skin is getting sensitive for some reason (lack of wet shaving?). I've got a family get together tonight and so I'm going to do myself up real nice.

Thanks to this thread for inspiring me not to go half assed and actually put some effort into my shaving.

Don't use a razor when your facial hair is long.

Buzz it down to a "5 o'clock shadow" or as short as you can possibly get the stubble, and then wet shave with the razor.

This is all you need to know.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Shaving-GAF/Skincare-GAF/whatever-GAF, I need help. Know there have been shaving threads before, but didn’t want to bump a random one.

It’s been years of horrible shaving for me and it’s finally time to get things right. Was using a rotary electric for years growing up and while it “worked”, I eventually realized it was a big cause of my acne because of the way my facial hair is, and how it pulled the hair moreso than cutting it. I’ve tried using those multiblade razors as well, but those are horrible for me since I have ingrown hairs and it’s all a big mess trying to get multi blades to not get stuck and pull on the hair as well. All I’m doing now is destroying my face with a trimmer so it doesn’t get out of hand, but it feels like a temporary solution.

I’ve read a lot about safety razors here and figure it’s time to take the jump into buying one, but man I’m terrified of cutting my face up bad or something. I guess it’s not as terrifying as it seems just because they are used commonly, also wonder how I’ll get those precise areas like my chin and all that. I guess it just takes some practice.

Here’s a pic of me today at work with the mess I have on my face and what I have to deal with.
My god it looks awful, I want it to go away

http://i.imgur.com/cvMus.jpg

TL;DR.. just wondering if a safety blade is the answer to my problems of finally getting back to a smooth shave in a worst case scenario of having horrible facial hair that doesn’t seem to like any method or being cut. Having sensitive skin/oily skin doesn’t help much either.

I can't use an electric razor. It just yanks the hair. I used to use Schick disposables, but the wife bought me an electric Gilette disposable one. With four blades. There is zero doubt it is the smoothest, most comfortable shave I have ever had. Zero tugging, zero friction. Expensive but pleasant. I shave head and beard every couple of days.

Oh and ignore cutthroat-razor GAF unless you want to have a tedious impractical hipster hobby and write emails to the GQ style guy all the time.

SUPREME1

Banned

Buzz it down to a "5 o'clock shadow" or as short as you can possibly get the stubble, and then wet shave with the razor.

An alternative, if you don't have the means to buzz it down, is to shave downward with the hair first to get the bulk of the hair off. Then re-lather and go up against the grain for a tight shave.

I usually don't recommend The Art of Shaving products, simply because they are priced pretty high... but their shaving cream is the bomb digity and worth spending teh extra money on. A little bit goes a long way and the blue canister (lavender) smells great. The lather you can work up from it is lush and creamy.

I'm about to jump on board with you de wet shaving folks. The electric I use don't get a close shave and leave me with all kinds of in grown hairs. The Mach 3 things are insultingly expensive.

I do have a possibly stupid question though. What is that comb part for on the safety razor?

Oh and ignore cutthroat-razor GAF unless you want to have a tedious impractical hipster hobby and write emails to the GQ style guy all the time.

I will admit this is somewhat true. Yesterday, a combination of rusty razor, poor choice of shaving cream, stubborn refusal to admit there was a problem, etc., I scraped my neck badly. I could get a closer, nick-free shave with one of those 5-blade things, but when I use them I feel like I'm using a Fisher Price My First Razor. I enjoy those times when I put a bare, dangerous blade to my neck and come away whisker-free with skin intact. Feels manly, man.

Now, when I used to shave my head, I went with your typical 2- or 3-blade razor.

Shaving has always been such a bother for me, but on the few special occasions I do shave I always enjoy how much younger and, well, better it makes me look. After reading through this thread I've decided to finally upgrade from my (infinitely reused) Mach 3 + hand-applied ghetto shaving foam to something I might actually enjoy using (and take a bit more seriously) for a change.

I went ahead and ordered the Merkur 180, some Feathers and the Proraso ultra sensitve soap everyone seems to recommend. I also picked up a cheap shaving brush I found on eBay named Lijun. I actually bought everything from eBay in the end, as it had the best deals I could find (taking into account shipping to Europe as well).

This thread has been very helpful to me. I'm actually excited to get receive and try out my new shaving gear :)

Fjolle

I'm about to jump on board with you de wet shaving folks. The electric I use don't get a close shave and leave me with all kinds of in grown hairs. The Mach 3 things are insultingly expensive.

I do have a possibly stupid question though. What is that comb part for on the safety razor?

I think that it is for when you have to shave off longer hair.

Lucius86

Banned
I've bought myself a Merkur DE razor, feather blades, tend skin, arko stick and a badger hair brush thanks to this thread. Once they all arrive, it's time to get on this bad boy and sort out my irritation issues properly.

I will post my results in a weeks time or so!

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Purchased

-Merkur Model 180 Long Handled Safety Razor
-Proraso Shaving Soap, Ultra Sensitive Skin
-Tweezerman Men's Shaving Brush
-Colonel Conk Evernice Model 775 Chrome Safety Razor Stand
-Large Stainless Steel Shaving Soap Bowl from Super Safety Razors
-20 Feather Razor Blades NEW Hi-stainless Double Edge

Not being the monkey right now.

I shave once every couple of months. I can't use shaving cream because I break out in hives like crazy with pretty much every single "sensitive skin" brand out there. So I shave with water. My face can take the razor pretty good, I rarely get razor burn anymore. But it just leaves my faces feeling dry, or cracked.

So I go months between, and gather up a hell of a mountain man look. I haven't gotten my hair cut in years, it's now down half my back. I'm living the feral look.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I can't use an electric razor. It just yanks the hair. I used to use Schick disposables, but the wife bought me an electric Gilette disposable one. With four blades. There is zero doubt it is the smoothest, most comfortable shave I have ever had. Zero tugging, zero friction. Expensive but pleasant. I shave head and beard every couple of days.

Don't knock it until you try it.

Niblet

I've been using a sample pack of assorted blades for the past few months and I am in love with feather blades. they're so effortless. I'm really not a fan of the Israeli offerings, which is a shame because those are the least expensive brands of DE blades. My worst shave has been with one of them. Blood pools all over my face and this is after months of experience. Thank sci for styptic pencils.

How long is long? If I go full out neckbeard for about 2 weeks (I grow hair rather quickly), I can clean it up with little effort by brushing on the soap or cream thoroughly and using a sharp blade (like a feather blade). Of course it is probably going to be a 3 or 4 pass job if I want to get it real smooth. I can't imagine shaving a 2 week growth with multi-bladed (eg Mach 3) style razors though. It would snag and tug and be oh so painful. Also it would take forever.

SmokyDave

I'm a shaving ninja. I use a wet razor in the shower and I'm baby smooth in 5 minutes flat, no cuts, no bumps. No idea where I learned to shave because my dad has a beard you could hide a horse in.

I use Nivea for men for all the washery / preperation and then Gilette razors and shaving foam. Always foam, never gel.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I've been using a sample pack of assorted blades for the past few months and I am in love with feather blades. they're so effortless. I'm really not a fan of the Israeli offerings, which is a shame because those are the least expensive brands of DE blades. My worst shave has been with one of them. Blood pools all over my face and this is after months of experience. Thank sci for styptic pencils.
Just bought Feather blades. How long does each blade last?

Jake.

feathers are really not that great of a choice if you are new to DE shaving - do not be surprised if it looks like a lawnmower ran over your face and neck the first time you use them. whilst the 'omg sharp as ninja swordz' thing is way overblown, they are still the sharpest blades on the market by a mile and this can cause all sorts of problems for someone new to DE shaving - i would honestly wait a month or two until you have some sort of technique/idea of how to shave with a DE razor. if you read around on shaving forums (badger and blade etc) most people would not recommend them for beginners at all, and even those who are experienced find them (feathers) too aggressive for those with really sensitive skin (sup) or simply don't like them for whatever other reasons. that's why you have to try different blades until you find the 'right' one for you (sharpest does not automatically mean best) - 'your mileage may vary'. everyone has different skin, facial hair and techniques.

how long does a blade last? depends on your hair type and how you shave, but most people usually get 3-4 shaves out of a feather. you could potentially get more if you have light facial hair, but they are so cheap (as is all DE blades) that there is really no point in risking getting an extra shave or two out of a potentially dull blade just to save 50c.

Jake.

i would recommend dorco 300 or 301's as a beginner blade which are made in korea. they are fairly mild and there is really no way you can cut yourself unless you just fuck up totally. as with everything in shaving though (inc feathers), some people love them and others hate them. astra platinum are the worst blades i have used by a mile (felt like a cheesegrater on my face - found them pretty blunt w/ awful razorburn) yet lots of people swear by them.

Niblet

I made sure not to touch the feather until I had more than a month of experience under my belt. I can get 3 from a feather, maybe 4. My beard hair is coarse and so I try to stick to 3 uses a blade, but sometimes el cheapo mentality takes over and I try to take a blade longer and with something like a super platinum (that's a brand), I'm basically torturing myself; the cuts are everywhere. For me feather holds up well enough for a 4th use though. I go on a blade by blade basis. If I think I can pull off the fourth without hurting myself I'll do it, but I won't hesitate to grab a new blade if I know it isn't going to end well.

Jake.

yeah, that's normal - feather are generally the most expensive blades on the market (kai are probably slightly more expensive, but that's it) and dorco are on the cheaper end. either way, that's a great price. personally i wouldn't buy 100 without even trying them first, but you can always give them away or sell/trade if they don't workk out.

A lot of ppl. on German forums swear by (red) Personna blades as the best trade-off between sharpness and price and also recommend them to noobs. I use them as well and like them a lot. As for the durability: no idea - I don't reuse blades.
went ahead and ordered the Merkur 180, some Feathers and the Proraso ultra sensitve soap everyone seems to recommend. I also picked up a cheap shaving brush I found on eBay named Lijun. I actually bought everything from eBay in the end, as it had the best deals I could find (taking into account shipping to Europe as well).
Uhh, Merur is a German manufacturer and Proraso is Italian....why would you ship it from US? lol

C.Dark.DN

Banned
yeah, that's normal - feather are generally the most expensive blades on the market (kai are probably slightly more expensive, but that's it) and dorco are on the cheaper end. either way, that's a great price. personally i wouldn't buy 100 without even trying them first, but you can always give them away or sell/trade if they don't workk out.
The only others I saw with Amazon Prime are 30 for $5.50.

I went with this sampler: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UIZFQW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Korey

How dangerous are safety razors compared to regular Gilette Fusions or whatever?

How much more involved (time/effort) are they compared to a Gilette Fusion shave? Usuaully I just splash warm water on my face, spread gel around using my hand, and shave in a few passes. Doesn't take that long and I don't want to spend all this time prepping and stuff. I also shave every day.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
How dangerous are safety razors compared to regular Gilette Fusions or whatever?

How much more involved (time/effort) are they compared to a Gilette Fusion shave? Usuaully I just splash warm water on my face, spread gel around using my hand, and shave in a few passes. Doesn't take that long and I don't want to spend all this time prepping and stuff. I also shave every day.
I wont be doing it for the first time until Thursday.

Based on what I read and watched on youtube...

Cartridge razors are safer and quicker.

People on neogaf that are switching seem to be motivated by senistive skin or long term price advatage.

They also seem to enjoy the process of it and end result accepting the extra time which is probably 10 minutes.

Korey

I wont be doing it for the first time until Thursday.

Based on what I read and watched on youtube...

Cartridge razors are safer and quicker.

People on neogaf that are switching seem to be motivated by senistive skin or long term price advatage.

They also seem to enjoy the process of it and end result accepting the extra time which is probably 10 minutes.

Ok thanks for the info, that's what I figured. Think I'll stick with a cartridge razor for now, but let us know how it goes

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Ok thanks for the info, that's what I figured. Think I'll stick with a cartridge razor for now, but let us know how it goes
Oh I also saw in a video that safety razors don't pull on hairs which causes ingrown hairs.

I personally hate multi blade razor cartridges pulling on hairs and hairs getting stuck in between the blades.

Angst

This thread has inspired me to ditch Gilette and go for a Merkur razor instead. Going to order tonight.

Uhh, Merur is a German manufacturer and Proraso is Italian....why would you ship it from US? lol

Believe it or not, sometimes it's actually cheaper to import stuff from the US directly than buy it from a European retailer (yeah, messed up, I know). Furthermore, some of the stuff is much easier to find from US sellers. For example, I couldn't find the Merkur 180 or Proraso on any european site I checked. If anyone knows a good European site for this stuff, please share.

EDIT: ok, I lied. Amazon stocks the Proraso soap but it refuses to ship to my country for some reason. Also, Amazon.co.uk doesn't stock the Merkur 180 at all, but even if they did it would probably cost more than it did to import it.

Just used my new shaving set for the first time. It was a lot easier to use than I imagined it would be and the whole experience was awesome.

Believe it or not, sometimes it's actually cheaper to import stuff from the US directly than buy it from a European retailer (yeah, messed up, I know). Furthermore, some of the stuff is much easier to find from US sellers. For example, I couldn't find the Merkur 180 or Proraso on any european site I checked. If anyone knows a good European site for this stuff, please share.

EDIT: ok, I lied. Amazon stocks the Proraso soap but it refuses to ship to my country for some reason. Also, Amazon.co.uk doesn't stock the Merkur 180 at all, but even if they did it would probably cost more than it did to import it.
Merkur is weird when it comes to naming their models. There is no Merkur 180 or Merkur HD in Germany/Europe.
It's so stupid anyways .... even when you got your razor you can't relly be sure which one it is. There's nothing to indicate the model - neither on the packaging, nor on the on the thing itself.
I think the 180 is called 23c here. So that's what you should look for.
Both, the 23c and 34c are good for beginners according to forums.
Here's an overview of some of their models (it's more complete than their website, lol)
http://www.roedter-messer.de/merkur.htm (German)

/edit
This is better:
http://connaughtshaving.com/merkur.html

So using the correct name you should be able to find some offerings. Here is a good shop from UK:
http://connaughtshaving.com/
http://myworld.ebay.de/connaughtshaving

What are the differences between soaps and cremes?

Well it's harder to create a good lather from a soap - you'll need a better brush to make the process better/easier. There is some getting used to in terms of adding the right amount of water.
If your hair is thin it probably doesn't even matter as I see some people shave just over a wet face (that would kill me.)
Cremes are probably nicer to your skin ( have less of a peel feeling to them), but can contain all sorts of crappy chemicals - which in turn could worsen your skin or give you cancer in the long run, lol :(

Zalasta

I'm going to have to convert too. I was just lamenting the fact that my electric razor really messed up the skin under my chin and I would break out very easy. Thanks for all the advices thus far.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Well it's harder to create a good lather from a soap - you'll need a better brush to make the process better/easier. There is some getting used to in terms of adding the right amount of water.
If your hair is thin it probably doesn't even matter as I see some people shave just over a wet face (that would kill me.)
Cremes are probably nicer to your skin ( have less of a peel feeling to them), but can contain all sorts of crappy chemicals - which in turn could worsen your skin or give you cancer in the long run, lol :(
lol :|

My hairs are thin. I can't grow a beard. :|

Chittagong

Gold Member
I hate shaving, yet have to do it every day. My beard grows super fast and looks terrible. It's also really thick. Here are my learnings from the last 15 years:

1. Never trust electric razors.
2. Use a Gillette Fusion.
3. Keep a sharp blade on. They cost a shit ton.
4. Do it in shower.
5. Use shaving foam.

These make the experience bearable. I.e. it does not hurt. And is pretty fast.

bob page

To all the new DE noobs, remember that the most important thing is to USE YOUR ARM, not your wrist, to glide the razor. Do not apply pressure with your arm. When you shave, you should be altering the angle at which you glide the blade along your face with your arm, but do not actually *press* it against your face.

It takes a few weeks to get used to, but once you master it, your shave will be far superior. Just still with it and don't give up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom