• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shaving-GAF, help me out please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

santouras

I do not understand this "shave while showering" talk. When I wet shave two things are important. Hot water and a sharp blade. And by hot water I mean boiling water. I always boil a kettle and fill the sink with that and use that water to shave, not just the hot water from the tap. Using boiling water makes a huuuuge difference in my experience.

santouras

well, I usually shave after I shower, so I will put the kettle on before I jump in the shower. When I finish, I'll use it. I mean, I don't splash boiling water on my face, but to get the brush nice and warm, and also the razor (I use a double edge) it is far superior, in my experience, to tap hot water.

I had shaving problems and acne for years. I realized I looked horrible with a beard anyway so I got laser treatments to remove all my facial hair. Problem solved.

I do not understand this "shave while showering" talk. When I wet shave two things are important. Hot water and a sharp blade. And by hot water I mean boiling water. I always boil a kettle and fill the sink with that and use that water to shave, not just the hot water from the tap. Using boiling water makes a huuuuge difference in my experience.

kettle and boiling water? wtf?

the fuck?

FOOTE

Boiling water eh?

With either Roche-Posay Homme XY gel (around 8€),
zSr1P.jpg

Do you apply that gel after the shave to handle dryness or is that shaving gel to smooth the shave? I'm a complete noob to traditional shaving and I'm thinking of jumping in with a Merkur 34c HD.

lunchtoast

I dunno if there's a thread for this already but I thought I could ask here... For you guys that shave your balls/penis/that area, is there an easy and quick way to get rid of hair down there? Or am I stuck shaving that whole area slowly and carefully?

I use the norelco body groomer and shaving cream in the shower. For my balls I use a spray hair remover because I'm afraid of shaving them.

DJ_Lae

I started wet/safety shaving back in the summer after reading about it online and asking my grandma if she still had some of my grandpa's shaving stuff. She did, but only an old (really damn old) bag that contained a Gem Junior. I managed to find a local guy who carries blades for it - they look like the hardware type single blades, but they're a bit thinner and sharper.

k4YE4.jpg

If the date is right, the razor itself is almost exactly a hundred years old, which is kind of cool. It's amazing how well the spring clip still works.

But after realizing how much I liked it, I started looking into the more common double-edged safety razors and picked up a sampler pack and a cheap Lord razor as all of the Amazon resellers in Canada seemed to be charging a crazy premium for the better Merkur ones. Some day I'll grab one, I guess, although for ten bucks I have no complaints about what I got, and I have yet to nick myself even once.

KLlt3.jpg

Hate the Gilette and Astra blades (they yank at my hairs as if they're dull out of the pack). Haven't tried the Sharks. The Bluebird and Derby ones are pretty good, and the Feather ones work really well but don't tend to last more than a shave or two before they become noticeably dull (I guess because they're so thin).

ShaneB

Glad this thread has helped other people as well (just like every other shaving thread there's been).

I made my order not long ago for all of my stuff, so I should get it perhaps early next week.

I'm actually very excited!

Vano

well, I usually shave after I shower, so I will put the kettle on before I jump in the shower. When I finish, I'll use it. I mean, I don't splash boiling water on my face, but to get the brush nice and warm, and also the razor (I use a double edge) it is far superior, in my experience, to tap hot water.

At first i imagined splashing the hot water in your face with your first post but i follow you, i have heard also about using the steam of the hot water to open the pores but never tried it though.

What i do is shaving while i am taking a shower with hot water, my skin stay much better and works nice (the neck area as i am in beard mode).

Hot water yes.

Boiling water no.

I shave post shower with a old school safety razor (merkur) and a badger brush. Easy and smooth with no irritation.

My facial hair is an abomination so I gotta stay crisp.

Do you apply that gel after the shave to handle dryness or is that shaving gel to smooth the shave? I'm a complete noob to traditional shaving and I'm thinking of jumping in with a Merkur 34c HD.

That's just the shaving gel (to shave with/on).
You squeze out a tiny amount and turn it into lather between your palms, then apply it to your face. I feel like it has the best uh, "gliding properties" and doesn't really dry out my skin.
However a rich lather from a good soap & good brush (+ a drop of olive oil for hard bearded ppl.) was still the best in terms of gliding and caused the least irritations. But I can't use the brush anymore :/
Some cheap gels (or shaving creams) can be fine too, just don't buy "out of the can lather" with aerosol. It's bad for your skin.
Since I get acne (whiteheads) sometimes, I never resuse a blade and always aplly acidic treatment after shaving (to even out the skin's ph level).
In case my skin is clear and has been clear before the shave: "DERMASENCE AHA Effects plus C" (probably no avail. outside Germany. The main ingredient is "Glycolic Acid" though.)

TbRnp.jpg

Otherwise I mix lemon juice (either concentrate or I squeeze out a lemon) into a cup of water and rinse my skin with that after the post-shave cold water treatment.

The 34c is fine btw. - I'm not quite sure if it's the best choice for noobs, but it was my first (and to this day only) safety razor and I like it a lot.

I also always shower before shaving too. However sometimes I also use this (like when I don't want to shower too often per day):

Fn5DB.jpg

We call it "face sauna" around here and I stole it from my mom. It ain't bad, lol :D

Oh btw. did anyone ever try an electric hot lather dispenser?

/edit

http://i.imgur.com/k4YE4.jpg

If the date is right, the razor itself is almost exactly a hundred years old, which is kind of cool. It's amazing how well the spring clip still works.
That thing looks badass. I'd like to try it out :O

LogicStep

I use the norelco body groomer and shaving cream in the shower. For my balls I use a spray hair remover because I'm afraid of shaving them.

How's that spray work? Does it do a good job of removing the hair? And where can I get some of it? I rather not shave my balls with anything like a razor.

Sye d'Burns

I started wet/safety shaving back in the summer after reading about it online and asking my grandma if she still had some of my grandpa's shaving stuff. She did, but only an old (really damn old) bag that contained a Gem Junior. I managed to find a local guy who carries blades for it - they look like the hardware type single blades, but they're a bit thinner and sharper.

k4YE4.jpg

If the date is right, the razor itself is almost exactly a hundred years old, which is kind of cool. It's amazing how well the spring clip still works.[/IMG]

I had always hated shaving due to the same types of issues the OP describes. I ultimately went the beardGAF route and kept either a goatee or full on beard for most of the last ten years.

Around a year ago, I had decided that I was done with wearing a beard and I shaved it off. I had a few Mach3 blades in the cabinet and I reveled in how much younger I looked until I had gone through my last blade.

My wife was at the store and was asking me which blades to get. I was completely floored by the price and decided to check if they were cheaper on Amazon. 30 dollars for 8 fusion blades is insane. Absolute insanity.

So I started looking around Amazon and I saw some of the Merkur razors and I was sold. Although, I went a slightly different route. While reading about safety razors, I figured I'd see what I could find on eBay. Don't discount eBay people. You can get a well made Gillette that will shave just as well as a new safety razor for much, much less.

In short order I had a cabinet of Gillette Techs, Super Speeds and even a Slim and a Fatboy (adjustables) when I ended up with a Gem 1912 in an group of three razors.

Stilllife07-1-1.jpg

Now, if double edge safety razors had been my previous nirvana, I had finally reached Shangri-La with the Gem 1912. The single edge blades, which you can get in a 10 pack for 5 dollars in the shaving section at Walgreens, shave so much better for me. Since that time, I have added a Gem Demaskeene, Gem Micromatic (open comb), Gem G Bar among others I can't speak highly enough about how well these razors shave.

Gem G Bar
IMG_8407.jpg

Gem Demaskeene
DSCI0574.jpg

Gem Open Comb Micromatic
IMG_5703.jpg

The rest of the start up costs can be just as cheap. Get a tube of Proraso for $11 and an Escali 100% Pure Badger Shaving Brush for $14. After an initial cost of not much more than those 8 fusion blades, you can now enjoy a lifetime of cheap shaving.

For the record, though I own the razors, three of the four pictures above are examples from google.

Metal safety razors are great... They just feel good your hand and have a nice heft to them. A single pass is an awesome shave, going back again and crossing the grain is... Amazing. Rarely do that though.

Electric shavers are the worst thing iv ever used, the dont even come close to smooth shaving.

I used Bic single use disposable razors for a long time and aslong as i was wet shaving with a small layer of shaving foam and i had zero problems. iv since moved to the gillette fusion power gamer with cartridge blades and iv very happy with my current shave.

I can get a 100% smooth face every time i shave now.

I wash my face first
Then i apply warm water and shaving foam on top of that (by hand)
Shave against the grain until all applied foam is gone (making hilarious faces to ensure your pulling you skin tight when shaving)
Wash face again with warm water and check for any stubble
Retread over stubble grain with only water.

Perfect face.

Im interested in trying a badger brush and a DE blade but im not sure id get any benefit from it. Maybe later in life.

I can get a 100% smooth face every time i shave now.

I wash my face first
Then i apply warm water and shaving foam on top of that (by hand)
Shave against the grain until all applied foam is gone (making hilarious faces to ensure your pulling you skin tight when shaving)
Wash face again with warm water and check for any stubble
Retread over stubble grain with only water.

Perfect face.

I do everything you just described, but still get shaving rashes and red spots on my neck. Feels fucking terrible man. I must have the most delicate skin in the universe. I also tried shaving with the grain and it doesn't help.

Sye d'Burns

The trick to shaving with a safety razor is to unlearn most everything we've been taught about shaving. You can take a disposable and press into your face as you shave without cutting. Moving heads mean that you do not need to trouble yourself with maintaining a proper angle. Even being able to get away with things like dry shaving.

With a safety razor, the trick is to apply no weight, let the weight of the razor do the work. Maintaining angle is important, not in the sense that you will cut yourself, but, because you will likely scrape off that top layer of skin otherwise and get a nice razor burn.

On most days, I shave as quickly as I ever did with a disposable. If I'm in a hurry, face lathering takes very little time. I tend to use Proraso, as I listed above, Palmolive, some euro blend I bought online, or an Arko Shave soap.

Arko sticks are ridiculously long lasting. I bought 12 or 13 and I've yet to make it out of my first. Just apply water to the face, Rub the bar against your face, allowing the whiskers to scrape off soap and begin to brush lather. That stuff lathers like nobody's business.

51zA6Kiwk-L.jpg

I do everything you just described, but still get shaving rashes and red spots on my neck. Feels fucking terrible man. I must have the most delicate skin in the universe. I also tried shaving with the grain and it doesn't help.

Have you tried post shave balm or gel? If your in the uk This is fantastic it makes you feel like a smooth god

had a saftey razor for 1 and half years working awesome. Wife just got me a badgar hair brush from christmas and some shaving soap. It makes it even easier to get a better no nick shave. i have really sensitive skin and safety is the cheapest and least irritable method of shaving barring using a straight razor.

I have really sensitive skin.

I use L'Occtaine for cream and after shave balm, I'm sure there are better medicinal products, but these work very well on my skin and smell good.

In my experience you have to pay more, I just view it as other shaving creams being so cheap because they're bad for my skin and that comforts me paying £15 a time.

I use a hot towel, and lots of hot water. I also use Mach 3, but I'm considering moving up to a newer version.

I bloody shave every day for work too!!!!

marrec

Banned
I dab isopropyl alcohol on my face a couple times after shaving. I have thick, strong facial hair and my skin gets very irritated it I don't use alcohol afterwards. It burns, but I don't think there is any way around it for people like me. I've tried powders, creams, oils, everything you can think of. Only alcohol works.

This is what I've bought most recently, and it's given me good results.

I also use a salicylic acid face wash.

This is exactly what i was going to suggest. Alcohol is the only thing that works for me.

DasRaven

Any one used a Straight Blade Razor ? how are they, should i go with the safety blade first of just skip it all together?

What are you using now and how long have you been shaving overall?

If you've been shaving for decades and know your face well, you shouldn't have any problems with a straight razor so long as you respect it and learn how to strop properly.
If you've been pressing away with an electric or disposable razor for years, you're asking for trouble. In this case, I'd suggest go with a cheap double-edge until you know your curves, niches and angles.

What are you using now and how long have you been shaving overall?

If you've been shaving for decades and know your face well, you shouldn't have any problems with a straight razor so long as you respect it and learn how to strop properly.
If you've been pressing away with an electric or disposable razor for years, you're asking for trouble. In this case, I'd suggest go with a cheap double-edge until you know your curves, niches and angles.

Im 21 iv been shaving maybe 4 years now id say i know my face well and its something im really interested in. I dont use electric but iv used disposable and currently use cartridge blades im away i push to some degree with current blades and from what i understand its more of a gentle stoke or flow with a straight blade.

Thinking of grabbing a murker soon ill spend a year with it and move to straight blades.

Wubby

I just shave in the shower too. But my facial hair is so soft and pretty thin that I actually can't grow a beard. I tried once but it just looked horribly nasty since some spots on my face don't even grow any hair.

But it makes shaving super easy. I just use a Mach 3 and with the shaving gel can. I only have to shave every other day too since no one can tell if I don't shave one day. I only change the blade on my Mach 3 if it starts to irritate my skin so about every 4-6 months. I've been on the same pack of replacement blades for about the last 5 years.

Any one used a Straight Blade Razor ? how are they, should i go with the safety blade first of just skip it all together?
If you want to dip your toe into the straight-razor waters without a lot of expense, try the DOVO Shavette. It's a straight-razor handle that takes disposable razor blades. It's what a barber typically uses for straight-razor shaves these days. I'm perfectly satisfied with it. Get the different-sized blade holders so you can try the different styles.

slit

What? I hope what you mean is you dip the blade in boiling water, otherwise you wouldn't have to worry about razor bumps, you would be trying to figure out how to get rid of scald blisters.

lunchtoast

How's that spray work? Does it do a good job of removing the hair? And where can I get some of it? I rather not shave my balls with anything like a razor.

I got mine at a drugstore. I'm sure any will do. I just spray it, and lightly cover the whole area and let it sit for 5-10 minutes and then rinse it off in the shower. I'll do a light scrub with a loofa to get the rest of the hairs off. Don't apply any lotions afterwards because it will burn.

SUPREME1

Banned
So I took the plunge and ordered these

Merkur Model 180 Long Handled Safety Razor
pzQZR.jpg

Proraso Shaving Soap, Ultra Sensitive Skin
p9TNP.jpg

Tweezerman Men's Shaving Brush
7ff3C.jpg

Colonel Conk Evernice Model 775 Chrome Safety Razor Stand
ca4pK.jpg

I keep a five o' clock shadow so this will mostly be used for my neck and the occasional facial shave. I've never used a safety razor before so I'm looking forward to it.

Welcome to the "I Shave Like A Real Man Club" bruh. Take your time when shaving. Get a good lather going, and make sure your pores have been opened by first taking a hot shower or with a hot towel.

There are some great tutorials on youtube if you want more tips.

I loathe shaving. I have a very thick beard and dark hair. The most I'll ever shave is maybe once every four days. I'm the type of person that gets a five o'clock shadow three hours after shaving so the whole routine is pointless to me.

Esch

Banned
I bet the majority of Americans shave using some variation of the Gillette Mach 3 and shaving creme in a can.

Yep, that's the norm right there. I've been using disposables recently. Awful shave. I've got a safety razor, some proraso, and a badger brush in the mail. Looking forward to joining the wet shave club.

despire

Stumbled upon this thread yesterday and got fascinated by shaving with a safety razor.

Long story short, ordered:

-Merkur 34C Heavy Duty Classic
-Vulfix 660 Pure Badger Shaving Brush
-10 Feather Double Edged Razor Blades (these were free with my order!)
-Shaving Brush Drip Stand (Clear)

All in all some 60£ which is a bit steep but I'm guessing I will be using the razor for years or decades if lucky. Can't wait to get my hands on these! :p

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
This is relevant to my interests. I don't know if I have enough room for all that stuff on my counter though :(

I grow a full beard in a week and from there the hair just starts thickening, becoming hard and dense as hell which makes shaving hard at that point. It's like adamantium strength lol. I had this istubble electric shaver that was really nice to use that didn't touch my face at all, but some water got on it and now it stopped working :(

Also this stuff is just awesome

v6o3E.jpg

That's just the shaving gel (to shave with/on).
You squeze out a tiny amount and turn it into lather between your palms, then apply it to your face. I feel like it has the best uh, "gliding properties" and doesn't really dry out my skin.
However a rich lather from a good soap & good brush (+ a drop of olive oil for hard bearded ppl.) was still the best in terms of gliding and caused the least irritations. But I can't use the brush anymore :/
Some cheap gels (or shaving creams) can be fine too, just don't buy "out of the can lather" with aerosol. It's bad for your skin.
Since I get acne (whiteheads) sometimes, I never resuse a blade and always aplly acidic treatment after shaving (to even out the skin's ph level).
In case my skin is clear and has been clear before the shave: "DERMASENCE AHA Effects plus C" (probably no avail. outside Germany. The main ingredient is "Glycolic Acid" though.)

TbRnp.jpg

Otherwise I mix lemon juice (either concentrate or I squeeze out a lemon) into a cup of water and rinse my skin with that after the post-shave cold water treatment.

The 34c is fine btw. - I'm not quite sure if it's the best choice for noobs, but it was my first (and to this day only) safety razor and I like it a lot.

Ah thanks for the tips. I get white heads too so that's definitely handy information.

Just ordered my haul

merkur%2034C%20HD%20safety%20razor%20large.png

41tBtpteJLL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

p9TNP.jpg

Also what's the consensus on witch hazel as an after shave? I've also heard quite a bit about alum block which apparently helps soothe out any irritation.

Oh and if anyone is looking for something to quickly heal a cut post-shave, I recommend the Pacific shave Nick Stick. This shit is magic.

41V5XRzBLIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

santouras

multi-blade cartridges such as the gillette mach series are pretty bad for you if you suffer from rash. It's very hard to not have the gaps in between the blades clog up with hair clippings which will absolutely destroy your face if you have sensitive skin. Single blade razors such as DE safety razors or straight edge are much, much better if you have sensitive skin for this reason, but as noted, you need to learn to shave in a much different way, otherwise you will nick yourself quite badly.

I've been doing DE Safety for about 2 years now and I could never go back to multi-blade cartridges. I'm hoping to move on to straight edge soon, when I can afford to get a nice kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom