• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shaving-GAF, help me out please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonm1010

Banned
I've spent years attempting to eliminate razor burn and in grown hairs.

Ive used safety razors and the highest rated electric shavers. Shaving soap, and shaving creams using 200 dollar badger hair brushes. I used aloe vera, expensive moisturizers, cool water and any number of supposed miracle aftershave lotions and formulas.

After nearly a decade searching for my razor burn and shaving irritation cure, my holy grail finally arrived and it came in the form of an aftershave product known as TendSkin. It was the first time I went with not just minimal bumps but NO razor burn or bumps anywhere. Problem was about a year ago they manipulated the product and watered down the ingredients to the point of ineffectiveness(well at leat not as effectively as it used too).

To my delight though I managed to find the original recipe on a skin care forum and will post it for all those wanting to try it:

Recipe for homemade TendSkin (note: this recipe was originally posted by a member on MUA, although it has since disappeared...I don't know who the original author is, but it wasn't me!):

What you need:

Uncoated aspirin
70% alcohol
Witch Hazel
A measuring cup/bottle
2 bottles used to shake mixtures
1 8oz or more bottle/container to keep finished product

What you do:

1. Pour 5.5oz of 70% alcohol into one bottle.
2. Drop 18 uncoated aspirins into the alcohol. Cap bottle and shake.
3. Pour 2.5oz of witch hazel into the second bottle.
4. Drop 8 uncoated aspirins into the witch hazel. Cap bottle and shake.
5. Wait awhile (30 minutes to a whole day) for the aspirins to dissolve in the liquids. Shake periodically to help dissolve aspirin and mix. NOTE: not all of the aspirin will dissolve. That’s ok- some of it never will.
6. Now combine both the alcohol and witch hazel mixtures together into one bottle. Make sure you shake it up before you pour them out so you also get the aspirin residue into the new bottle.

This last bottle is your Tendskin! Use 1-2 a day. Reduce usage if you experience dryness or flaking or irritation. DO NOT USE IF YOU ARE ALLERGIC TO ASPIRIN. Make sure you shake it well before each use.

I use one splash after I shave and occasionally a second splash if I feel it's needed about 15 minutes later. I stand here today saying that I can count on one hand the amount of times I have gotten razor burn in the past two years. and it was minimal to say the least.

My no bump routine is

1.)Merkur safety razor with Gillette or feather razors

2.)porasso shaving cream with badger hair brush

3.) followed by homemade TendSkin recipe.

It gives me the closest shave possible with no burns or bumps and after the investment in a decent brush and razor it's cheaper than Mach route or electric razors by miles.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
To all the new DE noobs, remember that the most important thing is to USE YOUR WRIST, not your arm, to glide the razor. Do not apply pressure with your arm. When you shave, you should be altering the angle at which you glide the blade along your face, but do not actually *press* it against your face.

It takes a few weeks to get used to, but once you master it, your shave will be far superior. Just still with it and don't give up.
I'm reading the opposite:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...beginner-needed-please!?p=3700070#post3700070

"One thing you should NEVER do is press the razor to your face. Use ONLY the weight of the razor against your skin. Take small, short, rapid, strokes. Keep your wrist and elbow stiff and move your entire arm from the shoulder. This will help you keep a consistent blade angle if everything is "locked" and you only have one pivot point (your shoulder)"

Makes sense when they talk about angles.

I haven't used one yet tho.

bob page

I'm reading the opposite:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...beginner-needed-please!?p=3700070#post3700070

"One thing you should NEVER do is press the razor to your face. Use ONLY the weight of the razor against your skin. Take small, short, rapid, strokes. Keep your wrist and elbow stiff and move your entire arm from the shoulder. This will help you keep a consistent blade angle if everything is "locked" and you only have one pivot point (your shoulder)"

Makes sense when they talk about angles.

I haven't used one yet tho.

Sorry, I mean't use your arm, not your wrist. Your arm should direction itself along the angle of your face.

bob page

Every article I've read and every tutorial video I've seen says otherwise. It seems almost unanimous that one should use their arm and not their wrist to get the best shave.

Yeah, sorry, brain isn't working right this morning- see my editing post, haha. You guys might want to edit those quotes, too.

ShaneB

Really glad that this thread has converted so many people, glad we're in it together!

I should be kitting my kit sometime this week, very excited to see how it goes. Little worried about that earlier post though about Feather Blades not being for a beginner since those are what I ordered. I guess I'll find out.

Tips and advice for beginners is always appreciated, so keep em coming! I'm mostly worried about working around my chin and how tricky that might be.

Jonm1010

Banned
Really glad that this thread has converted so many people, glad we're in it together!

I should be kitting my kit sometime this week, very excited to see how it goes. Little worried about that earlier post though about Feather Blades not being for a beginner since those are what I ordered. I guess I'll find out.

Tips and advice for beginners is always appreciated, so keep em coming! I'm mostly worried about working around my chin and how tricky that might be.

I'd recommend getting yourself a variety kit from one of the various safety razor websites and get used to the method of safety razor shaving with a less sharp razor than a feather.

I currently use feathers but I wouldn't recommend them for a first timer. Not that you can't do it but you are likely to end up with more nicks and cuts during the learning period.

Giard

For all those recommending Feather blades, which ones are you talking about? Black feathers or yellow box?

I've been mostly using Derby Extras since I started a couple years ago.

Jonm1010

Banned
For all those recommending Feather blades, which ones are you talking about? Black feathers or yellow box?

I didnt know there were two kinds tbh.

I've always used the yellow box with red and black lettering.

Giard

I didnt know there were two kinds tbh.

I've always used the yellow box with red and black lettering.
http://www.fendrihan.com/feather-doubleedge-safety-razor-blades-p-882.html?cPath=116_4_126
http://www.fendrihan.com/black-feather-doubleedge-safety-razor-blades-p-881.html?cPath=116_4_126
I'll probably get the first pack, it's a little less expensive.

edit: Just saw this in the reviews section:
Note: Black and Yellows are the same blade. Blacks are 5 blades/pack; yellows are 10.

Hmmm...Derbys are 3x less expensive....might stick with those instead.

C.Dark.DN

Banned

I tried the Feather blades for the first time today and I'm a beginner. They're really good and I got a great shave out of it - much better than the Merkur blade that came with my Merkur razor. I don't think you have anything to worry about, and from what I've read on other boards, Feather blades are preferred by just about everyone.

bob page

I use the ones with the yellow label (and yes, Feathers are the best I've used by far. no irritation whatsoever).

I tried Derby's a while back and didn't like them at all- got quite a bit of tug and irritation.

steadfast

Black box Feathers are 5 blade packs. Yellow packs are 10; same blade, different quantities.

Anyone looking to try DE shaving owes it to themselves to try as many blades as possible. Many people love Feathers while others, (such as myself) get much better shaves from something else. I happen to prefer Gillette 7 o'clock yellow pack and Gillette Super Thins from Thailand.

In addition to making sure you shave with your arm and NOT your wrist, grow your beard out for a few days and make a map of the grain of your beard and always shave WITH the grain or across the grain...try to avoid against the grain if you can to avoid irritation and ingrowns.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Oh what blade should I do my first few shaves with out of this sampler pack:

Bluebird
ASTRA Superior Platinum
Gilette 7 O'clock Super Stainless
Gilette 7 O'clock Super Platinum
SHARK Super Chrome
DERBY EXTRA

ShaneB

I'd recommend getting yourself a variety kit from one of the various safety razor websites and get used to the method of safety razor shaving with a less sharp razor than a feather.

I currently use feathers but I wouldn't recommend them for a first timer. Not that you can't do it but you are likely to end up with more nicks and cuts during the learning period.

Yeah, I first thought about getting the variety packs, but after hearing so much positive feedbacks for the Feather's I figured it be ok. I guess I'll find out regardless.

I tried the Feather blades for the first time today and I'm a beginner. They're really good and I got a great shave out of it - much better than the Merkur blade that came with my Merkur razor. I don't think you have anything to worry about, and from what I've read on other boards, Feather blades are preferred by just about everyone.

This sounds good, thanks for the reassurance, I guess it's a case of everyone is different, but hearing from another beginner is important. Thanks!

steadfast

Those are all pretty good blades.

Try them all for 2-3 shaves then go back and try them again as your technique improves to help make the best decision.

Most people will recommend going with Derby or BlueBird as they are often regarded as great middle of the road blades to help work on technique.

I love Astras and would start with that as they are sharp, very smooth, and will last for 4-5 3-pass shaves depending on your beard. If they end up being your favorite, they're relatively cheap and easy to come by as well.

Oh what blade should I do my first few shaves with out of this sampler pack:

Bluebird
ASTRA Superior Platinum
Gilette 7 O'clock Super Stainless
Gilette 7 O'clock Super Platinum
SHARK Super Chrome
DERBY EXTRA

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Yeah, I first thought about getting the variety packs, but after hearing so much positive feedbacks for the Feather's I figured it be ok. I guess I'll find out regardless.

This sounds good, thanks for the reassurance, I guess it's a case of everyone is different, but hearing from another beginner is important. Thanks!
They got me too. Ordered 20 Feather for 12$, then ordered a variety pack for $15 after recent discussion.

Guess I'm interested in trying out others anyway.

Sye d'Burns

What are the differences between soaps and cremes?

Cremes are probably nicer to your skin ( have less of a peel feeling to them), but can contain all sorts of crappy chemicals - which in turn could worsen your skin or give you cancer in the long run, lol :(

I may be wrong here, but my my assumption is that DeathNote is referring to creams like Proraso in a tube as opposed to a can of chemicals.

If that is the case the real difference is that it's a bit easier to make lather out of a cream. Just get an almond sized daub of cream and work it with your wet brush. With a soap, it's more brushing the bristles over the soap and pulling it up that way, it takes a bit of practice to get enough soap and get your water right.

Korey said:
How dangerous are safety razors compared to regular Gilette Fusions or whatever?

How much more involved (time/effort) are they compared to a Gilette Fusion shave? Usuaully I just splash warm water on my face, spread gel around using my hand, and shave in a few passes. Doesn't take that long and I don't want to spend all this time prepping and stuff. I also shave every day.

Dangerous? Well, they aren't really dangerous. They are called safety razors for a reason.

You definitely need to be careful swapping blades, particularly with double edged blades. If you drop a blade, let it hit the sink.

Once you get it down, you can have a perfectly respectable shave in only a minute or so longer than it may take with a disposable. When I'm in a rush, I soak my brush while showering, then I use an Arko stick and face lather. A two pass shave need not take much time at all.

---

Merkur must be loving this thread. Lots of new razors sold. I enjoy my slant, it's a great razor.

I mentioned it in my single blade razor love post and it could use repeating: Don't discount eBay. You can get some great razors for anywhere from 5-20 dollars easily.

I may be wrong here, but my my assumption is that DeathNote is referring to creams like Proraso in a tube as opposed to a can of chemicals.

If that is the case the real difference is that it's a bit easier to make lather out of a cream. Just get an almond sized daub of cream and work it with your wet brush. With a soap, it's more brushing the bristles over the soap and pulling it up that way, it takes a bit of practice to get enough soap and get your water right.
Well, a few years ago I've read that the original Proraso (green can/tube) contains some questionable ingredients that might cause cancer. They might have already changed their ingredients or that one ingredient turned out to be harmles...I have no idea. My point is that compared to a soap cremes _can_ be more of a liability for your health.
You can buy natural soaps made from from one ingrdient only (like olive oil), or from a combination of oils.
And yeah, as you said (and me too): cremes are easier to handle. I also think that they might offer better gliding properties. I used to ad a drop of oil before workin the soap for lather in order for it to be as good in that regard.

I'm also wondering why anyone is so into Merkur. I they're cheap & "made in Germany" so people go nuts, hehe
Muhle (actually Mühle) is also a fine German manufacturer.
Then there is Joris & Plisson from France (expensive)
Parker are supposed to be Indian Merkur knock-offs, but I read it on a German forum, so...
Weishi is supposed to be a crappy Chinese brand.
Oh yeah! Edwin Jagger are based in Sheffield, UK and supposed to be good and affordable.

/edit
never heard of a condition like that,sry @ ViewtifulJC

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Since we are all noobs, everyone is probably under the assumption it's the best priced introductory razor and no one seems to have recommended different.

Looking on Amazon for random cheap razors I see a..

Feather for $21.95
Parkers around the same price as that Merkur.
Diamond Edge Classic for 15$
Some Uxcell razor for $7.99
Edwin Jagger $29

Don't think many are interested in more expensive ones than the 30-50 dollar Merkurs since you have a lot more to pick between and people are unsure about their results with it.

When I ordered mine I noticed they changed it to be Amazon Prime shipping eligible right after, so I canceled and re-ordered to get it faster.

Sye d'Burns

Since we are all noobs, everyone is probably under the assumption it's the best priced introductory razor and no one seems to have recommended different.

Feather for $21.95
Edwin Jagger $29

Don't think many are interested in more expensive ones than the 30-50 dollar Merkurs since you have a lot more to pick between and people are unsure about their results with it.

So I started looking around Amazon and I saw some of the Merkur razors and I was sold. Although, I went a slightly different route. While reading about safety razors, I figured I'd see what I could find on eBay. Don't discount eBay people. You can get a well made Gillette that will shave just as well as a new safety razor for much, much less.
I mentioned it in my single blade razor love post and it could use repeating: Don't discount eBay. You can get some great razors for anywhere from 5-20 dollars easily.

Seriously, for very little money and a cleaning when it arrives you can get a great razor.

SUPREME1

Banned
Just got a merkur+ blades and a shave brush.

We'll see, wetshaving gaf. We'll see.

Don't forget the cream. Don't do it half assed by using mass marketed foam/gel.

You'll NEVER duplicate the creamy lushness of the lather you can work up with a good quality shaving cream.

Sye d'Burns

I know nothing about those brands tho. Looks Phantast2k said Edwin Jagger was good tho.

You know nothing of Gillette?

In fairness, I would recommend people looking around badgerandblade.com. There is a whole world of razors out there. Some of them were made with very little changes over the course of generations. When something works, it just works.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I find it interesting that so many people are jumping on the the DE bandwagon, especially since I recently dropped off it after almost five years. Frankly, I found it wholly unsatisfactory and a right nuisance and the results aren't any better than using a Mach 3 with a good shaving oil. I do still enjoy using a cut-throat on the weekends though.

Sye d'Burns

None of those are made by Gillette.

None of what? The Gems I pictured? That's why I didn't include them in my excised quote.

edit: Ah, I'm sorry. I see I misunderstood your post. I'm leaving the names in case someone would like to search for a Gillette.

So I started looking around Amazon and I saw some of the Merkur razors and I was sold. Although, I went a slightly different route. While reading about safety razors, I figured I'd see what I could find on eBay. Don't discount eBay people. You can get a well made Gillette that will shave just as well as a new safety razor for much, much less.

Single edged razors are an acquired taste and I recognize that they aren't for everyone.

Look for a Gillette Tech, a Gillette Superspeed or a Gillette adjustable blade razor (commonly referred to as a Fatboy or a Slim)

Edmond Dantès;34135189 said:
I find it interesting that so many people are jumping on the the DE bandwagon, especially since I recently dropped off it after almost five years. Frankly, I found it wholly unsatisfactory and a right nuisance and the results aren't any better than using a Mach 3 with a good shaving oil. I do still enjoy using a cut-throat on the weekends though.

Where once I was plagued with them when I had to shave daily, for me, razor bumps have become mostly a thing of the past.

Centurion

Banned
Here's what I just got this passed christmas, works great!

Edwin Jagger De89lbl Double Edge Safety Razor

Double Edge Safety Razor Blade Variety Pack - 100 Blades (this way, you'll try out many different brands and see which you like the best)

Proraso Shaving Soap

Tweezerman Men's Shaving Brush (cheap and gets the job done)

Proraso Pre and Post Shave Cream

only down side to safety razors is that it takes a bit more time since you have to be more careful... but man does it make a difference, and saves a shit ton of money in the long run.

DJ_Lae

Feather for $21.95
Edwin Jagger $29

When I ordered mine I noticed they changed it to be Amazon Prime shipping eligible right after, so I canceled and re-ordered to get it faster.

I went with a cheap Lord as I was initially just curious about safety razors and didn't want to leap right in with a $30-$50 purchase unless I knew I'd be doing it for a while.

To my surprise, it's been a solid razor, especially for the price.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
You know nothing of Gillette?

In fairness, I would recommend people looking around badgerandblade.com. There is a whole world of razors out there. Some of them were made with very little changes over the course of generations. When something works, it just works.
Honestly, people should be able to get recommendations on this forum without having to rely on other forums

I understand how good of a resource is is, but it was actually annoying that all their tutorials on their wiki have dead pictures.

Sye d'Burns

Honestly, people should be able to get recommendations on this forum without having to rely on other forums

I understand how good of a resource is is, but it was actually annoying that all their tutorials on their wiki have dead pictures.

You may be expecting a lot out of the off topic section of a videogame forum. Wet shaving is pretty niche and highly subjective. I would liken it to asking automotive repair questions; you may get some good opinions, but you said yourself:

There's no harm in seeking out more enlightened opinion and that was all I was recommending.

I'm replying to his quote about my post only dude.

He quoted me and I wanted to make it clear that I'm not recommending those cheaper alternatives.

See my edit. I misunderstood.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
When I go to their Saftey Razor forum, click stickies, and click "The DE Buyers Guide"
all I'm seeing is Merkur.

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/DE_Selection_Guide

"the suggestion is to start with a Merkur Classic HD, and if you ever feel the need for a closer, more aggressive shave, upgrade to a Merkur Slant Bar."

There's no harm in seeking out more enlightened opinion and that was all I was recommending.

People apparently brought the enlightened opinion over.

If a 30-40$ Meurker is good for a beginner then it's good. We don't need to spend hours researching alternatives.

lunchtoast

So far I've shaved twice with a DE. My first experience was good, just one nick on my adam's apple. Had some hairs on my neck still, but made note of the way it grows out for some spots. The second time I got razor burn on my neck. Might have needed to change the blade first or something, or my neck wasn't used to being shaved in a certain direction. I like it so far though.

If you want a close shave with less irritation, you need to get a straight edge or an old fashioned safety razer. Electrics, especially rotary electrics, will cause many men with sensitive skin to break out. I still break out around my lower neck with my straight blades, but not nearly as much.

You can spend a lot of money up front on a razer. But unlike commercial safety blades like the Gilette Mach 3's or whatever they have now, straight blades are very cheap, a box of several hundred for like $20 shipped. Strange to say, but I find Gilette straight blades are the best.

You can also do things like using shaving soap specifically for sensitive/breakout skin, and using lathering brushes. I think that's sort of overkill, but if you want to go all out, give it a shot.

Sye d'Burns

When I go to their Saftey Razor forum, click stickies, and click "The DE Buyers Guide"
all I'm seeing is Merkur.

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/DE_Selection_Guide

"the suggestion is to start with a Merkur Classic HD, and if you ever feel the need for a closer, more aggressive shave, upgrade to a Merkur Slant Bar."

People apparently brought the enlightened opinion over.

Short response: Well, there's your answer then.

Longer response: I linked to the forum itself and not to the buying guide. Classics are good, safe choices but a Gillette Tech is also a mild shave which practically requires effort to cut yourself with. Reading a few posts in the beginners forum or the safety razor forum would present the reader with a some good, diverse opinions on many different razors.

If a 30-40$ Meurker is good for a beginner then it's good. We don't need to spend hours researching alternatives.

Well, hell. May as well shut the thread down then. Who said anything about hours?

I'm not meaning this back and forth to come across as confrontational. It does seem to be bordering on that though. Again, I'm sorry for the earlier confusion.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Short response: Well, there's your answer then.

Longer response: I linked to the forum itself and not to the buying guide. Classics are good, safe choices but a Gillette Tech is also a mild shave which practically requires effort to cut yourself with. Reading a few posts in the beginners forum or the safety razor forum would present the reader with a some good, diverse opinions on many different razors.

Well, hell. May as well shut the thread down then. Who said anything about hours?

I'm not meaning this back and forth to come across as confrontational. It does seem to be bordering on that though. Again, I'm sorry for the earlier confusion.
People want to know what to get as a beginner to start out and get it in their hands. NeoGAf and this website you recommend BOTH recommend Meurker for a beginner.

That doesn't stop people from upgrading and learning more about the process through the upcoming weeks and months. Which I plan to do.

Buying a good but cheap starter brush and razor is the point to enable that. 45$ total for those two pieces for me.

You get to trial and error and read about it. Which would obviously be done more on these niche forums.

Sye d'Burns

People want to know what to get as a beginner to start out and get it in their hands. NeoGAf and this website you recommend BOTH recommend Meurker for a beginner.

That doesn't stop people from upgrading and learning more about the process through the upcoming weeks and months. Which I plan to do.

Buying a good but cheap starter brush and razor is the point to enable that. 45$ total for those two pieces for me.

You get to trial and error and read about it. Which would obviously be done more on these niche forums.

It's fair to note that the Buyer's Guide only considers razors currently in production.

It's become abundantly clear that you aren't currently interested in vintage alternatives and that's fine. I was just presenting the option to people which may be interested if they had thought to consider the idea.

I wasn't trying to start a new vs. old safety razor flame, which might actually be a GAF first.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Sterilize your razor blades after every use.

From the looks of your face, you need a topical bactroban and vitamin A compound to reduce the scarring, and get rid of the acne rash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom