• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue III – The 1st Teaser | PS4

Like fuck, this was just over two years ago. It's a world of difference even if the latest build has a lot of work left to do.

But being a video game forum, and with a series as divisive as Shenmue, there's going to be some people who come to bray at what's shown with little logical thought about perhaps this game that will not come out until the 2nd half or 2018 is unfinished.

Well yeah, at least Ryo doesn't look like a character model from The Sim's anymore...

maxresdefault.jpg

The model in the trailer does look closer to the original design, with a few more tweaks it could be there.

gafneo

Banned
This has me wondering. If Yu Suzuki could do all this being a leading pioneer of 3D based motion graphics for video games back in the 90s, what could he do with a blank check? I also wonder what the top directors of today could come up with while given the constraints he is working with to pull off a groundbreaking, free roaming, & living breathing action RPG.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I might be alone on this but I kind of wish they wouldn't go so hyper realistic with this games. The character models look very stylize even more than Final Fantasy games.

I mean this guy looks very cartoony to me.
rohwlt.gif

I wouldn't mind they would go for with this type graphic style.
Dragon-Quest-XI-1-1-1280x720.jpg

Its not really super realistic but at same time its not quite cell shaded like Gravity Rush and Ni no Kuni.

zeopower6

I might be alone on this but I kind of wish they wouldn't go so hyper realistic with this games. The character models look very stylize even more than Final Fantasy games.

I mean this guy looks very cartoony to me.

I think a lot of people would be against that kind of shift. Also some people do look like that guy in real life.

gafneo

Banned
We just got a new backer update with this video and a word on the title. Yu Suzuki wrote it out himself it seems?
Let me translate his words of wisdom. " I see ya'll talking smack about my faces. Better not catch yo fools in a dark alley. I don't just make fighting games, I whoop as fo livin peeps. Keeping it r.e.a.l (reactive eyes action fo life)
JK

Spaghetti

We just got a new backer update with this video and a word on the title. Yu Suzuki wrote it out himself it seems?
Yeah. Poor guy, the logo has gotten lambasted pretty hard since last week so I hope he's not taking it too personally.

The update doesn't make him sound too attached to it though ("but let me know what you think!"), so maybe it'll just be a quick and painless return to the cursive next month.

Aren't there fans that do good work these days that can help them out. Seems thier art direction needs help in textures and well. Looks worse than amateur or small studios work on pc.. So who is doing this work on shenmue.

But... didn't Mass Effect Andromeda have a good first showing?

From the Mass Effect Andromeda gameplay reveal... and this is just 1 page from the thread.

Those animations caused me physical pain. BioWare get your shit together. Everything else looks amazing.

Bioware animation
KuGsj.gif

Some things will never change.

The fuck is wrong with the female MC's mouth? Other than that combat looks pretty nice, a bit disappointed they are using the piece of shit inventory system/UI from Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Combat looks good; facial animations were way off.

Still not sold that BioWare can pull off a good open world after Dragon Age: Inquisition. They also took one of the most criticized parts of The Witcher III? Strange move.

Mam what's up with the facial animation and the cutscene animation in general. It's very jarring.

Those eyes look awful, they stick out for a bad reason. Look really odd.

Guys, I still can't believe it...so many memories of Shenmue and Shenmue II (the GOAT) are flooding back to me. Shenmue III looks so beyond my expectations...someone hold me.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
yiiiikes. Not looking good. I was under the impression that they were getting a bigger budget after the kickstarter thing? Was that not true?

To all the people saying "well it's still over a year out!" sow me a game that looked THIS rough 1+ year out and turned it around significantly. Hell e3 2015 was the reveal of horizon and it looked amazing. Another excuse people keep making is that this isn't a AAA studio or w.e... yeah a AAA studio with a year time can do a lot more than a small studio can. Either this is going to underwhelm, or it's going to be delayed even further.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I think a lot of people would be against that kind of shift. Also some people do look like that guy in real life.

Really!!? They way his muscles are and his face is looks like he just came out of Street Fighter. I don't know, If they polish this game more it might end looking really good but right now the character models looking really weird to me.

JusDoIt

For some reason, this kind of jankiness makes me
even more excited for Shenmue III and Arika's new fighting game. It's so charming to me.

yiiiikes. Not looking good. I was under the impression that they were getting a bigger budget after the kickstarter thing? Was that not true?

To all the people saying "well it's still over a year out!" sow me a game that looked THIS rough 1+ year out and turned it around significantly. Hell e3 2015 was the reveal of horizon and it looked amazing. Another excuse people keep making is that this isn't a AAA studio or w.e... yeah a AAA studio with a year time can do a lot more than a small studio can. Either this is going to underwhelm, or it's going to be delayed even further.

Comparing this to Horizon? LOL.

And the game is only going to dissapoint people who weren't Shenmue fans to begin with. People really need some perspective when it comes to this game. : /

What exactly do you think is going to take them over a year to fix? I mean, the worst thing is the fact that the faces aren’t animating. They haven’t animated the faces yet a year before release, oh no! It’s a disaster, the game will suck!

As for “Horizon”, let’s see, a game with a $47 million budget, seen by many as the most graphically impressive game to date, versus Shenmue III, a game with a $6 million budget. Hmm, I wonder why Shenmue doesn’t look as good?

I think it's just the facial animation needs work (all the work, in fact, it's not bad, it's nonexistent), the other body movements look pretty decent. The environment and music are gorgeous. As a work in progress, I like what I see, but I haven't really seen what made Shenmue, Shenmue to me quite yet.

xaosslug

the game is gonna sell shittons. This is gonna be another Crash situation and GAF shall be owned once again. Nostalgia is so hot right now on PS4.

Spaghetti

Trust me, any AAA studio has parts of their game that look like this pre-release, you just don't see them because of smoke and mirrors marketing horseshit like vertical slices where parts of a game are pushed to near-final states for press conferences.

For better or worse, YSnet showed us Shenmue III warts and all. It'd be commendable if it wasn't also a weird marketing move.

Synth

To all the people saying "well it's still over a year out!" sow me a game that looked THIS rough 1+ year out and turned it around significantly.

These were less than a year, but:

MotorStorm
Perfect Dark Zero (remember wallguy?)

Bringing up shit like Horizon is silly, as its reveal actually looks better in various ways than the final game.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Comparing this to Horizon? LOL.

And the game is only going to dissapoint people who weren't Shenmue fans to begin with. People really need some perspective when it comes to this game. : /

And you've missed the point entirely. If GG had 50 Million and a super team put togethe with a years time, they could create a masterpiece. Now knock that budget down to nothing and cut the team down dramatically.

What exactly do you think is going to take them over a year to fix? I mean, the worst thing is the fact that the faces aren't animating. They haven't animated the faces yet a year before release, oh no! It's a disaster, the game will suck!

As for ”Horizon", let's see, a game with a $47 million budget, seen by many as the most graphically impressive game to date, versus Shenmue III, a game with a $6 million budget. Hmm, I wonder why Shenmue doesn't look as good?
Again just like above, you've missed my point. I don't expect it to look like horizon, not even a little. The point is that I keep hearing "oh it's over a year out! It's just an early build! It's a WIP!" I'm sorry but 1 year time is not enough for a dramatic turn around from a small team with a tiny budget.

Trust me, any AAA studio has parts of their game that look like this pre-release, you just don't see them because of smoke and mirrors marketing horseshit like vertical slices where parts of a game are pushed to near-final states for press conferences.

For better or worse, YSnet showed us Shenmue III warts and all. It'd be commendable if it wasn't also a weird marketing move.

Right I get that, they pick out the best parts. I guess it's possible they skipped all the good parts? Sure the environments look fine. The character models are hideous and the animations are meh. It's a mess. Sorry that hurts the fans so much, but I think we need to start being a bit realistic about what a small team and 5 million dollar budget can do with a little over a year of dev time left.

These were less than a year, but:

MotorStorm
Perfect Dark Zero (remember wallguy?)

Bringing up shit like Horizon is silly, as its reveal actually looks better in various ways than the final game.

I'll give you motorstorm, but even that didn't look quite this bad. PDZ was a mess as well... neither of those games turned out great, but if it ends up like that? I'll be cool with that. Those particular teams were huge and had massive budgets to help turn their fortunes around. Something these guys won't have.

edit- also no te reveal doesn't look better than the final game.

Boke1879

Holy shit for a game that's still in Development and most assuredly will be improved upon. It looks great. The environment looks amazing.

The animations needs to be worked on, but aside from that I can't wait for this.

zeopower6

Again just like above, you've missed my point. I don't expect it to look like horizon, not even a little. The point is that I keep hearing "oh it's over a year out! It's just an early build! It's a WIP!" I'm sorry but 1 year time is not enough for a dramatic turn around from a small team with a tiny budget..

Well, the point you are hearing is kind of because the video literally states:
built from a small slice of an in-development build of the game, and it delivers small peeks in new look of main characters, new characters, and feels of Shenmue world.

Basically it was made to show you characters and the world and it did that, didn't it? It is kind of bad IMO that they put it out without actually doing much (or any) facial animation but other aspects look great to me.

brett2

As a real fan this looks great to me because I can sense the experience it will provide which is wholly unique to the series. Why are so many here obsessed with comparing the graphics to titles with 10x+ the budget? If it matters that much to you then stick to playing those games.

msdstc
Incredibly Naive
Today, 01:38 PM

Sounds about right.

As a real fan this looks great to me because I can sense the experience it will provide which is wholly unique to the series. Why are so many here obsessed with comparing the graphics to titles with 10x+ the budget? If it matters that much to you then stick to playing those games.

This guy gets it.

KageMaru

it doesnt look very good. how is it trolling pointing out facts.

I just realized my phone auto corrected unfinished to finished in my last post lol.

It can't be a fact when it's subjective. For an indie title that is unfinished, I think it's an exaggeration to say the game looks as bad as some here are claiming. Especially when you start jumping to conclusions on it flopping.

Loudninja

Holy shit for a game that's still in Development and most assuredly will be improved upon. It looks great. The environment looks amazing.

The animations needs to be worked on, but aside from that I can't wait for this.
This stuff is old too.
At the risk of getting into trouble, its worth it to see some of the shocking reactions ive read over the last 6 pages.

In the name of transparency, I can say that 90% of what was in that trailer we were shown a year ago at the Kickstarter dinner. There is a strategy to what's being shown. If you think this was put together last week that's your business, I am just telling you that the majority of that footage is at least a year old, some even 18 months old now.

Take from it what you will. Also, for those looking for Yakuza level character detail, maybe throw a few extra bucks onto the ongoing PayPal for the game, since this is a low funded title without a multi million dollar development studio behind it.

Synth

I'll give you motorstorm, but even that didn't look quite this bad. PDZ was a mess as well... neither of those games turned out great, but if it ends up like that? I'll be cool with that. Those particular teams were huge and had massive budgets to help turn their fortunes around. Something these guys won't have.

edit- also no te reveal doesn't look better than the final game.

PDZ may not have turned out great (MotorStorm did, I'll fight you), but it was graphically easily in league with other Xbox 360 launch titles, whilst the furore around wallguy was that the game looked worse than Halo CE based on that shot.

There's also The Order 1886, which whilst not a mess graphically... well, this comparison says it all.

F4qbh57.gif

IFDRBJs.gif

I don't want to get into a long drawn out argument surrounding Horizon, because at the end of the day I'll agree that it's probably the best looking game out right now... but whilst the overall effect of the graphics in the retail game stack up well with the reveal, there are various areas it looked better at the time, in terms of Aloy's interactions with foliage, shadow detail, and even her hair and outfit looked more consistent, with less identifiable seams than the retail game.

w3jyoPF.jpg

zeopower6

At the risk of getting into trouble, its worth it to see some of the shocking reactions ive read over the last 6 pages.

In the name of transparency, I can say that 90% of what was in that trailer we were shown a year ago at the Kickstarter dinner. There is a strategy to what's being shown. If you think this was put together last week that's your business, I am just telling you that the majority of that footage is at least a year old, some even 18 months old now.

Take from it what you will. Also, for those looking for Yakuza level character detail, maybe throw a few extra bucks onto the ongoing PayPal for the game, since this is a low funded title without a multi million dollar development studio behind it.

That makes a lot of sense. People really gotta look at this post. Thanks for the insight, Guru! I kinda figured it was not recent but honestly I don't think it was a good idea to put it out on the scale that they did because it's mostly a lot of idiots who will nitpick at every single imperfection for WIP. :/

Top Bottom