• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue III – The 1st Teaser | PS4

Peroroncino

Comparing a kickstarter project to Yakuza is the dumbest shit I've seen today. My brain cells are rapidly depleting.

No need to get so aggravated. Besides, wasn't the sole purpose of that campaign to measure interest [and it broke the fucking record on KS]? From what I gather they're getting support from third parties like Sony and Shibuya Productions.

Toparaman

Banned
You're twisting ShenmueGuru's point. He's implying that this is basically what a few backers saw last year and that YSnet have done a lot more work since then, and they're just not ready to show it off yet and the stuff we're seeing is super outdated, and that this teaser is not how it looks like in the current stage of development

(and that was a lot of "ands"!

I'm not twisting his point. I'm making my own point, based on his statement. If they're almost exclusively using year-old footage in the first teaser, that doesn't exactly inspire confidence that much has been improved since.

Maybe a dev here can correct me, but wouldn't you want to show off your most recent build in a trailer?

FaustusMD

Unconfirmed Member
If you add the facial animations with your imagination, this scene actually look pretty hype.

People need to stop exagerate when they see early work in progress footage. Then again, it was foolish from the developpers to show such an unfinished work to a big audience, because the reaction was to be expected.

I think the fear is that the developers may not actually progress too much beyond this due to resource limitations. This isn't a typical game production with a lot of oversight.

Spaghetti

Nop, i remember that i had the same concerns with the gameplay reveal. Also the same excuses here... And look what happened... A complete dejavu..
I remember it a bit differently. I don't think it set the world on fire but it was nothing compared to the unfortunate state it released in. Remember the leaked footage that looked better than the game did when it came out?

Either way I think a lot of people are forgetting the trajectory Shenmue III has had from the E3 reveal to today. The game didn't start getting developed in earnest until late 2015, and it took about until January 2016 for the prototype to take off properly once the initial hiring wave was finished.

Comparing a kickstarter project to Yakuza is the dumbest shit I've seen today. My brain cells are rapidly depleting.
Yeah.

Yakuza fans, I love you, but let's have a bit of perspective and try to have a more intelligent outlook about this.

IrishNinja

*ding dong*

Gif delivery.

vi7YvXU.gif

VanbpYw.gif

IeHrUn7.gif

jyez9Bw.gif

Gee it sure is a shame YSnet made these nice environments then decided to not improve any visual aspect of their game for the near year/year and a half before release, right guys?

Right...?

underrated post

I mean I have waited like 15 years for this scene to continue...

amen!

All yall crying about the faces, i feel you

But the real crime here is what the fuck did they do to the logo? That font is hideous.

yeah it's changed a few times so far, should've seen the papyrus take

Aki-at

I mean, I'm only half joking, for example Yakuza 3, a game that's over 8,5 years old looked like this in its first teaser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYI7YeP5HQI

And contrary to the belief, Yakuza team operates on a pretty small budget compared to other games of its type.

Man, watching that teaser/trailer gets me hyped as fuck and makes me wanna replay the game.

Hopefully it's gonna get better, but I believe that your first teaser is supposed to get you hyped, knock your socks off, even lie a bit and make shit look better than it does - and this did nothing, if anything, it made me worried.

They work on a tight deadline, not a tight budget, Yakuza 1 and 2 both had $10 million each for a budget. With Yakuza 3, IIRC, the budget was significantly higher as they needed to sell 500,000 units or there about to break even so we're probably looking at a budget of about $20 million, still 3 times what Shenmue 3 is! Also that Yakuza teaser was like... 6 months from the game's release, not a year and a half :p

(Yakuza 3 really is great, if that's where the series ended I'd have been fine with it haha.)

I agree they did have strange decision making in this trailer, they should have focused on the background art and finished it off with the cave scene because whilst yes, the models don't look great, the whole trailer wasn't horrible and some parts looked very good! Hopefully now with a decent publisher on board they can actually get some know how on what you should show and shouldn't.

Facial animation and animation in general has a long way to go. Maybe it'll be fixed before release? Hopefully.

We've seen the "old build" excuse trotted out for many games when footage fails to impress so I'm not particularly inclined to believe it in this instance, but for arguments sake if it is true, why show year-old footage as a new trailer? Have things just not progressed in the past 12 months? Or do they think this is an acceptable level of detail for animation?

It'll be interesting seeing how things unfold...

At least their environment artists are doing an amazing job.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Torn between wanting modern facial animation and acknowledging that a wooden blank expression is pretty much Ryo's defining character trait.

Spaghetti

It's been a while so this gif probably could do with being reposted:

rohwlt.gif

See, this gif is why I'm not sweating anything about the unfinished work. Some parts are obviously more complete than others. Even this gif has incomplete facial animation and some of the lighting isn't properly built, but it's evocative of maybe what the final product could be like.

It's got a mood, it's got a style, the body animation is fluid, and the camera work is really nice.

I really need to play 2 already.
Yes, you should.

I was gonna hold off on replaying it until a HD collection finally gets announced, but after today I've got the itch to boot up DEMUL and play until dawn.

underrated post
Thank you pal.

Hey, ysNet, maybe y'all should get some favors from Sega and borrow some facial animation/modelling peeps from the Yakuza team? :) Looks damn good otherwise. :)

Disgraced

Holy shoot dude as somebody who hasn't played Shenmue wow is this trailer a masterpiece of jarring, unintentional comedy. Out of context that is just wow.

wowowowowow

Pennywise

They work on a tight deadline, not a tight budget, Yakuza 1 and 2 both had $10 million each for a budget. With Yakuza 3, IIRC, the budget was significantly higher as they needed to sell 500,000 units or there about to break even so we're probably looking at a budget of about $20 million, still 3 times what Shenmue 3 is! Also that Yakuza teaser was like... 6 months from the game's release, not a year and a half :p

(Yakuza 3 really is great, if that's where the series ended I'd have been fine with it haha.)

I agree they did have strange decision making in this trailer, they should have focused on the background art and finished it off with the cave scene because whilst yes, the models don't look great, the whole trailer wasn't horrible and some parts looked very good! Hopefully now with a decent publisher on board they can actually get some know how on what you should show and shouldn't.
Yakuza had Sega behind them. They already had employees and weren't forced to hire the entire team.
Game development is VASTLY more expensive these days. So comparing a PS2 to a PS4/PC budget these days is a joke.
The Yakuza games could also reuse assets and ALOT of the groundwork...
There are still so many more reasons that your comparsion is shit.
But I won't bother as we already got more than enough info from Shenmueguru about the footage.

Replicant

Environments are ace but the faces seem to be stuck in that SEGA Dreamcast timeline and incapable of showing any expression.

Anteater

honestly I think it looks nice overall especially the environments and fighting animations, hopefully they have a big enough budget to improve the facial animations and shenhua's model, if not I'm alright with some small tweaks here and there

Synth

Yakuza had Sega behind them. They already had employees and weren't forced to hire the entire team.
Game development is VASTLY more expensive these days. So comparing a PS2 to a PS4/PC budget these days is a joke.
But I won't bother as we already got more than enough info from Shenmueguru about the footage.

You appear to be aggressively arguing against someone that agrees with you about the comparison with Yakuza not being valid.

Aki-at

Eh mate I think you've got me confused with the other poster, I never made the comparison, just explained why just in budget alone Yakuza and Shenmue 3 is not comparable.

Neith

Banned
Never understood why this series is so sought after. I will wait until release, but I'm not sure what is going on here. They got a lot of money for this. That didn't look especially awesome or anything.

jcjimher

I don't think showing this WIP footage is bad per se. The big mistake is packaging it as a full blown trailer, with the Playstation jingle at the beginning and the cinematic (but really bad) editing. It creates false expectations of seeing a professional trailer, which this clearly isn't.

This footage would have worked better as part of a Yu Suzuki presentation in Gamescom, shown as little clips with no music and stealthily uploaded for Kickstarter backers shortly after. That would have pleased the fans, and would have avoided all the negativity and backlash the game is going to get now.

I'm not deeply worried about the game, though. There's plenty of time left, and even if it ships like this it will have its charm, and I will be grateful it exists anyway.

But, for now, I want to think that the main difference between now and the time of the first Shenmues is the marketing department. Most of the developers and artists are the same, but surely 2000's Sega would have made a much smarter trailer...

Josh7289

Character models look rough. Honestly I'd be fine with Dreamcast-level visuals because they help to hide any imperfections in the models (and non-choreographed animations). I hope they can fix the models though.

But besides that it's still hard to believe this game is really happening and I very much hope it turns out fantastic.

Finaj

The motion capture movements and the frozen/nonexistent facial animation is giving off Foodfight vibes.

Game looks good besides that.

Pennywise

Eh mate I think you've got me confused with the other poster, I never made the comparison, just explained why just in budget alone Yakuza and Shenmue 3 is not comparable.
Fuck. Got the wrong one.
I'm sorry about that. Gonna correct it later when I'm not on my damn phone.

_Ryo_

Yakuza 1 was a ps2 game and has worse graphics and poly models than Shenmue 1 and 2 which were Dreamcast games.

Also Yakuza 1 doesn't have

Dynamic Weather system
Dynamic Day/Night Cycle
Free roam camera, and thus no rotating the camera since it's fixed angel.
And it pauses every time you walk like 10 steps

Yet people loved Yakuza 1 on PS2, despite it's technical shortcomings.

ianpm31

Game budgets with 100 mill can barely pull off face capture. What makes you think a game that forced Sega out of the console race would be on some next level standard?

Selling over a million copies (Shenmue 1) on a 10 million install base is pretty damn good. Then makes Shenmue 2 on dc for europe and japan when we know the dreamcast was failing. More like Sega's fault. Not to mention that ridiculous partnership with MS when you could have released Shenmue 2 on ps2 and give it a legitimate chance to succeed.

Spaghetti

Game budgets with 100 mill can barely pull off face capture. What makes you think a game that forced Sega out of the console race would be on some next level standard?
I won't go into the stuff about SEGA but, and I really am not 100% sure this is something that's publically out there or something told in confidence - but fuck it -, YSnet are apparently going to be using some facial capture rigs. Or at least were. Or something.

That one time you can see Shenhua speak the mouth movements look good, so, maybe they are, but obviously facial animation is a big, long job and we don't even know how deep into voice recording they've gotten yet.

Environments are ace but the faces seem to be stuck in that SEGA Dreamcast timeline and incapable of showing any expression.
They're literally not animated in some places.

Not excusing them for using that footage when they maybe shouldn't have, but... work in progress. There are areas like the fight scenes and the environments that obviously show they're not half assing it, but clearly not everything shown was ready for the public.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I can't believe I gave 80 bucks for this.
Seriously, I can't believe it!

I'm glad that they have improved a lot, and I know they'll improve many things before release. And even then, I think I can look past that when I'm considering that I'd be playing Shenmue freaking 3.

master15

Faces clearly haven't been worked on yet along with animation but the environments so far look excellent. Definitely get Shenmue vibes from them.

jcjimher

And, just like with the models, the saga of fans improving the official work begins. Look at this fanmade teaser from a user at NeoGAF:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBx5k0KRIac

It has an small cutting error at 0:08, but don't you think something like this would have been much better? Maybe the problem is the marketing department after all...

zeopower6

Honestly it looks like they hadn't really put the finishing touches on the facial animation yet. If it was closer to release or something and still like this, I'd be worried, but this is WIP and all that plus nearly everything else looks great!

And, just like with the models, the saga of fans improving the official work begins. Look at this fanmade teaser from a user at NeoGAF:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBx5k0KRIac

It has an small cutting error at 0:08, but don't you think something like this would have been much better? Maybe the problem is the marketing department after all...

Amazing what some nice editing can do.

Of course if the official teaser was like this one people would be complaining that its too short/not enough gameplay footage etc....which would probably be better than the situation they are in now.

Top Bottom