• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shift over Last Guardian, Gravity Rush 2 wants to sit next to you

Ventara

I would flip some tables if Gravity Rush 2 doesn't come to Vita. I don't care if it comes to PS4 as well, but it would really suck if the Vita doesn't get this. One of the best new IP the console has. and to lose the sequel would be devastating.

Tsunamo

I'm quite suprised at Gravity Rush 2 being a no show for TGS. This was one of the few games I was expecting to show up there this year.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I sort of at least expected a Gravity Rush 1 PS4 port (Tearaway style) of some kind at TGS to prepare for the sequel going multi-PS platform. But nope.

Japan studios back to being a disaster I guess.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Time for another "SCE Studio Japan is totally back on track guys!" PR push.

The effect of the last one has warn off and people are noticing how ass backwards the studio is again.
Yeah they're mismanaged because they shifted development to ps4 which takes longer to make games for than vita so they don't have anything to show yet.

Wait

Huh

I don't know if you guys have noticed, but Sony hasn't announced a 100% internally developed retail PS4 game by SCE WWS since Uncharted 4 in December 2013 (well, l guess there was the TLOU remaster).

Do you think it is mismanagement of the entire chain of studios? Or perhaps they have changed their timing of when they announce games in development?

That's no publicly announced game from Bend, Santa Monica, Naughty Dog Team #2, Media Molecule's main team, Guerrilla, Guerrilla Cambridge, Team Gravity, or even like Sony London. And of course Sucker Punch.

They're just not announcing games early anymore. Probably because of the TLG crap if I had to guess, where they had a very high profile game they couldn't get done and had to cancel.

I originally thought we'd see a wave of games after Killzone, Driveclub, and Infamous were all out or about to be out but it seems pretty clear they are not doing that.

What was the last worthwhile game by Sony Japan studio? Gravity Rush was ok and I can't think of anything else.

They are a Z tier studio at this point

I'm a little surprised this wasn't shown. I do wonder when it will be... e3 seems too far off. Sony recently seems to love having huge shows with lots of new games.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Do you think it is mismanagement of the entire chain of studios? Or perhaps they have changed their timing of when they announce games in development?
I've tried to make the point in the past about the major AAA publishers. "They've never done it before" even though we have several examples of games that were announced within 9 months of their planned release date, this year.

I welcome that change. It stands to reason that closer the announcement of a new game to release the more likely it is that the game they actually demo at their unveiling will be closer to the finished product.

What was the last worthwhile game by Sony Japan studio? Gravity Rush was ok and I can't think of anything else.

Gravity Rush was a very, very good game. It could have been excellent with a bit more content, imo.

You are however absolutely right concerning the output of this SCE branch for the last 5-6 years. Lackluster would be the word. Still, I think that we are off to a good start with The Tomorrow Children and Bloodborne (it is a collaboration after all), as both games sound promising (the latter could be GOTY material)...

Have faith!

Internally, Sony released a lot of games in 2013. SSM, ND, Polyphony, Guerilla, Cambridge, Japan Studio, MM.

This year, it is Sucker Punch, Evolution and London. (and ND)

Looking at the timeline, studios who released games in the earlier half of 2013 should be primed to announce their next project sometime next year. Even later if it's an established IP.

The only mismanagement here is the fact that Sony released too many internally developed PS3 games in 2013, thus affecting the year one output as far as internal studios are concerned.

Yeah they're mismanaged because they shifted development to ps4 which takes longer to make games for than vita so they don't have anything to show yet.

Wait

Huh

I don't know if you guys have noticed, but Sony hasn't announced a 100% internally developed retail PS4 game by SCE WWS since Uncharted 4 in December 2013 (well, l guess there was the TLOU remaster).

That's no publicly announced game from Bend, Santa Monica, Naughty Dog Team #2, Media Molecule's main team, Guerrilla, Guerrilla Cambridge, Team Gravity, or even like Sony London. And of course Sucker Punch.

They're just not announcing games early anymore. Probably because of the TLG crap if I had to guess, where they had a very high profile game they couldn't get done and had to cancel.

I originally thought we'd see a wave of games after Killzone, Driveclub, and Infamous were all out or about to be out but it seems pretty clear they are not doing that.

That sounds like a valid reason. I also think that they have decided to spend time promoting each and every title of theirs, an attitude that they lacked last gen, especially during the second half of the PS3 life where some games -despite their intrinsic quality- were sent to die. The current financial situation of the group and the success of the PS4 will be major incentive towards this shift I suppose...

That sounds like a valid reason.

It also depends on the type of title.

When it comes to established IPs ( Killzone, LBP, GT, etc), Sony tends to eschew the 15+ months marketing cycle and go for a dense 6-12 months cycle. It's only Uncharted 4 that broke this trend, where the game is practically announced 2 years early.

I can easily see Gran Turismo and Gravity Daze announced and released next year, for example.

When it's a new IP, and something that the devs/publisher want to educate the potential audience on, then I can see a 12+ month cycle. New IPs are ideally announced at events to maximise exposure, then established as a desirable product after the longer stretch of time.

Even that depends on the type of game. Bloodborne has a relatively short announcement-to-release cycle, but we also know a reveal at TGS 2013 was entertained, so if that happened, it would had put the game at a 12+ month cycle as well.

That sounds like a valid reason. I also think that they have decided to spend time promoting each and every title of theirs, an attitude that they lacked last gen, especially during the second half of the PS3 life where some games -despite their intrinsic quality- were sent to die. The current financial situation of the group and the success of the PS4 will be major incentive towards this shift I suppose...
I don't disagree, just curious which titles in particular you think were sent to die?

WarpathDC

Gravity Rush 2 is fully playable within TLG. Both are coming exclusively to Vita, along with Shenmue 3 and Half Life 3. Vita is also the guts of project morpheus, the headset is just a fancy Google cardboard for Vita. Oh, and FF VII has been greenlit for Vita 2

TomShoe

Banned

What the fuck

Internally, Sony released a lot of games in 2013. SSM, ND, Polyphony, Guerilla, Cambridge, Japan Studio, MM.

This year, it is Sucker Punch, Evolution and London. (and ND)

Looking at the timeline, studios who released games in the earlier half of 2013 should be primed to announce their next project sometime next year. Even later if it's an established IP.

The only mismanagement here is the fact that Sony released too many internally developed PS3 games in 2013, thus affecting the year one output as far as internal studios are concerned.

The only game that was affected felt like GT6, IMO, being trapped just before PS4s launch. Every other game seemed to do fine.

Radius

Actually London Studios have announced Singstar Ultimate Party this May, releasing in five weeks.

The only game that was affected felt like GT6, IMO, being trapped just before PS4s launch. Every other game seemed to do fine.

I understand what you're saying. Every other game being released in 2013 finely matches to their overall production schedule in the first place.

Besides, it's not like Sony wasn't prepared for their internal studios's relative inactivity post-2013. The fact that WWS had commissioned a sizable amount of externally developed games meant that Shu knew his internal teams would be low on ammunition for the good half of 2014/early 2015.

People are looking too much into the fact that Sony hasn't announced many internally developed titles. Games take anywhere from 2-4 years to make nowadays, so expecting an announcement from a studio who released a title in 2013 in 2014 is very rare.

Same with RARE/Microsoft. THEY RELEASED A GAME THIS YEAR FFS. Wait till 2015, or heck, even 2016 for the announcement of their next project.

I don't disagree, just curious which titles in particular you think were sent to die?
Starhawk, Twisted Metal, PS All-Stars (by being rushed out), Into the Nexus, SOCOM, off the top of my head. There are probably others but i don't feel like looking it up. I say this a PlayStation fanboy who absolutely loves Sony as a publisher/group of developers - they send a lot of games out to die.

And Molecule announced they are working on a PS4 title. And of course, there is Tearaway PS4, but that doesn't count (?)
Also inFamous First Light, which got a retail release in Europe.

yurinka

Sony released a lot of incertal WWS games in 2013 or even 2014, so these teams need some time to make something new. Both for these and other unnounced games that we know are under development but not officially announced, Sony may think that it would be better to wait and show them closer to their release dates to avoid cases like The Last Guardian.

In addition to this, the PS4 is already working way better than expected, so they can wait and continue with both the already announced WWS games, the ones co-developed with (or fully developed in) external studios like LBP3/Bloodborne*Rime, smaller (timed/console) exclusive from indies/ small 3rd parties (Devolver/Grim Fandango/Housemarque/Velocity2x/Murasaki Baby, etc) and 3rd party AAA games that some will get promotion with Sony due to strategical small (timed) exclusive small things like DLC, bundles, etc (Destiny, several Ubi games, Dragon Quest Heroes etc).

Think that until 6 months from now (the end of March) there are a shit ton of great games coming for PS4 including exclusives like Driveclub, LBP, Singstar, The Order or Bloodborne or very important 3rd party stuff like AC, Far Cry, FIFA, GTA, Evolve, and a lot more. And for later we'll have MGS5, Batman, FFXV, FFType0, Uncharted 4 etc.

So I think they won't want to fight against all this huge competition in the marketing channels with even more new games, specially when they are already more than happy with their current numbers. I bet that after Christmas, maybe around March and specially in E3 they will start to announce new SCE games (including WWS titles) and to market more already announced but not shown too much like Shadow of the Beast, Rime, Uncharted 4, Gravity Rush 2,,etc. They won't need it now, and they may need it then if PS4 crazy sales start to go down until normal numbers around March or so.

Jigolo

If they do bring it to PS4 I'll be glad. Just bundle up GR PS4 version with it like Ninty did with Bayo.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
I was just about to flip some shit yesterday after scanning Gaming for some GR2 news.

Seriously, why? Is it even in development? And if it for what platform?

Does it hurt to release some info fuckerssssss?

Seik

Banned
Well at least we got a LOT of FFXV media, so I guess it 'balances' things out a bit.

I really liked the first GR though, I hope GR2 isn't vaporware of any kind. :(

Sakujou

Banned
oh please no, please bring gr2 to vita. the first game was pretty much the only reason to praise the vita.

now, after teasin part2, where is it :(

VLiberty

4bb.png

wapplew

GR2 for PS4 will be best news for the game.
1080p, no more mission loading, better view distant, fully realise open world, etc etc
Most of the complaint about the original game will go away.

Fbh

When you haven't seen anything new of Gravity Rush 2 for like 4 years yet Sony insists that they are "hard at work, yet we can't show anything" everytime they are asked about it.

When after 5 years there are rumors about the game being cancelled and Sony replies with "Of course it's not cancelled, it's still full in development, but we can't even share a screenshot right now".

When the Vita 2 gets announced and you are sure it's the perfect time to reintroduce GR2
THEN you can compare it to The Last Guardian

VertPin

This is actually the only game I'm keeping my Vita for, so they better announce if they switched to PS4 sooner than later. The money for the Vita would instantly go to my PS4 money jar.

There's no way it's Vita exclusive anymore. Sony stopped all first party development on the machine.

Can you use the other "Wow it has only been 1 year since this project was sort of announced, is it in trouble?" thread?

Didn't see it. I'll search next time. Feel free to merge/split the topic.

-----

Just thought I would continue my conversation. I didn't think it was dead in the water, I was just surprised at the information. My joke towards TLG was nothing serious.

Sid

Will this be a 2015 or a 2016 title? the last one came out 2.5+ years ago and is still codenamed 'project gravity'

UberTag

That's an insult to most Z-tier studios.
Sony Japan and Polyphony combined are a travesty.
Thank goodness From still likes working with them for exclusives.

Top Bottom