• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shift over Last Guardian, Gravity Rush 2 wants to sit next to you

RK128

Yeah they're mismanaged because they shifted development to ps4 which takes longer to make games for than vita so they don't have anything to show yet.

Wait

Huh

I don't know if you guys have noticed, but Sony hasn't announced a 100% internally developed retail PS4 game by SCE WWS since Uncharted 4 in December 2013 (well, l guess there was the TLOU remaster).

Do you think it is mismanagement of the entire chain of studios? Or perhaps they have changed their timing of when they announce games in development?

That's no publicly announced game from Bend, Santa Monica, Naughty Dog Team #2, Media Molecule's main team, Guerrilla, Guerrilla Cambridge, Team Gravity, or even like Sony London. And of course Sucker Punch.

They're just not announcing games early anymore. Probably because of the TLG crap if I had to guess, where they had a very high profile game they couldn't get done and had to cancel.

I originally thought we'd see a wave of games after Killzone, Driveclub, and Infamous were all out or about to be out but it seems pretty clear they are not doing that.

My bet is that they don't feel the need to show off stuff nearly as often as before :l.

I mean, third parties have the 'best' versions of games on PS4 now plus Sony is pulling a Microsoft and heavily pushing 3rd party games as their own (Destiny comes to mind), so they are more or less heavily pushing 3rd party content on PS4 until they feel like their first party games are ready I think :l.

Is it a smart move? I sorta think so, as they can ensure there teams don't rush games and put out quality. Not to mention, they don't have to worry about having tons of first party games anymore; they can, if they want to, be a lot like how Microsoft was on the 360 late in its life.

What I mean, is that they can only have, say 1-3 big exclusives for the year and that's it. People got pissed at Microsoft for that but that didn't stop the 360 from selling, so that could be what Sony is thinking :l.

It can work too; between the indie wave on PS4 and lots of 3rd party software being the best on PS4, they can roll with this mentality.

Granted, I don't think (at least I hope they don't :() do this with their first parties (as we can run into the same issues with IP stagnation that was on the 360 ala Foza, Halo, Gears trifecta).

My bet is that many games simply are not ready yet. So many studios within Sony are so quite about what they are making, so they must have either just started development 2012 or are having issues with the PS4 hardware (despite how everyone says it is a 'joy' to work with).

Either way, I hope things get worked out with everyone :D.

Half-Life 3 and Agent aren't developed by Studio Japan, so I wouldn't compare them to TLG in the first place. Again, it's not so much about the amount of time these games have been out of action, but more about how Studio Japan/Sony are falling into another trap similar to the one TLG is in.

And anyway, by this stage we know as much about TLG as we do about GR 2. Both games are shrouded in secrecy by a company that's supremely unwilling to shed any much light on their status apart from rote updates like "Waiting for the right time to show it" or "Please wait" or "It's still in development." We don't even know for absolute certain what platforms TLG is coming to yet, just like GR 2.

wait, so they're comparable because its the same stuido? wat. meanwhile the same studio japan is coming out with bloodborne (co-developed with from) in february, released knack a year ago (which is actually a fun game), and announced the tomorrow children as well. TLG development is going well which i don't see a reason not to believe. they also co-developed a few vita games and are doing the same with deep down. stop over exaggerating.

VLiberty

Starhawk, Twisted Metal, PS All-Stars (by being rushed out), Into the Nexus, SOCOM, off the top of my head. There are probably others but i don't feel like looking it up. I say this a PlayStation fanboy who absolutely loves Sony as a publisher/group of developers - they send a lot of games out to die.
Also Puppeeter, Sly 4 and, if we count Vita, then both Tearaway and Killzone were laucnhed in awful launch windows without actual marketing behind them

Top Bottom