• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne is still incredible

dan2026

If you have a PS3 or PS2 Nocturne still plays very well. Though I agree on the rest, with Persona 3 having no good version, DDS duology PS3 version having issues, Persona2 Eternal Punishment locked on the PS1, Persona 4 Golden trapped on the Vita.

P4 vanilla is playable on PS3 though.
A remaster of Persona 3, incorporating the best parts of the PS2 and PSP seems the most likely to actually appear.

They are still pushing P3 hard with that dancing game.

Xbro

Apocalypse is pretty great (talking about gameplay decisions) and the dungeon complexity is still there (yeah, there are few new dungeons, but they way the game turns certain towns into dungeons just adding barriers and challenges was pretty amazing), so I have hope for the next game.

Honestly a SMT3 remake just need revamp the skill inheritance, and do it like Apocalypse: choose your skills to inherit, but demons can't inherit a skill if they are incompatible; everything left in this game is is perfect. Yes, even the random encounter. Nocturne's pretty generous with the save points, so if they rid the random encounter would be a bit weird. The random encounter is just a problem in hard mode, but let enjoy suffer to those who want it.

You don't like reshuffling your skills to see if you can inherit the one you want?

I'd actually prefer the inheritance to be more like the new persona games. New demon has to keep the default skills, but you can fill in the rest of the slots.

As far as the other systems in apocalypse, I thought the affinity system was awesome. Not sure if I would want it added to Nocturne, the balance in this game is too perfect and adding something like that could tip it.

randomkid

If you have a PS3 or PS2 Nocturne still plays very well. Though I agree on the rest, with Persona 3 having no good version, DDS duology PS3 version having issues, Persona2 Eternal Punishment locked on the PS1, Persona 4 Golden trapped on the Vita.

P4 vanilla is playable on PS3 though.

Yeah dudes, $10 on PS3 and $14 new (!!!) on Amazon. Man, do you all remember when this game was like, $95 or something? We all know an HD remaster would bring heaven unto earth but don't let that get in the way of playing in the mean time if you can.

Man, when people say the old SMT games I think of stuff on the Super FamiCom that never made it over. I want to play those.

please enjoy Shin Megami Tensei 1 on iOS for maybe a few more weeks.

It's one of my favorite games of all time. Still haven't quite beaten it yet (I keep getting stalled on the last dungeon), but it's never a chore to get back up to this point.

Hag

Replayed and did everything that game has to offer in Normal difficulty back in january.

Still the best megaten and jrpg for me. Love how theres a flexible soundtrack for types of enemies

A lot of the old SMT and Persona games are in this weird limbo where there is no good way to play them these days. I bet most people don't even know they exist.

With Persona atleast it started on Ps2, then got a release on Ps3, and knowing atlus it will be on Ps4. You can also play them on portables.

I also appreciated the thought out paths/reason you could chose.

Everyone gives you a supporting case to why you should chose there's and so forth.

I also think the song selection of the overall OST can't get o better in any videogame.

I played this last year for the first time, and it quickly became one of my all-time favorites despite the jrpg not really being a go-to genre of mine.

It's rare to find a work in gaming that comes together so...forcefully. The depth of the systems, the intensity of the mood, the striking visuals, etc. Without going in depth, I'll just say that I found the whole experience astonishing in its quality and it left a permanent impression on me.

Big0Bear

this game got me into the SMT series, made me wish more of the other games came out on console since I didnt play any of the handheld ones in recent years. Hope the new one that was announced is multi platform

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The negotiations and fusion menus are a little outdated. The former strikingly so when you played later iterations first - even the updated Soul Hackers upped the writing and mechanics for negotiations a lot. In SMT3 you can't do much and there was that one phrase you'd hear over and over from all demons after a certain amount of time.

It's one of very few JRPGs where I don't mind buttrock for battles, but fuck that song in particular. Why is it completely changing its tone 20 seconds in, it always threw me off.

That's the main reason I like it. It starts off like a standard JRPG theme but transfers to JRock. The tune is also very catchy.

Opa-Pa

That's the main reason I like it. It starts off like a standard JRPG theme but transfers to JRock. The tune is also very catchy.

I think the Nocturne soundtrack is one of the best of all time, but I'd say some tracks are still of an acquired taste, kinda.

That song in particular is pretty cool because the lyrics are meant to be Demifiend's thoughts, it's a really nice touch.

Didn't want to talk about the music before because I dislike focusing too much on it while the entirety of the game is such a masterpiece, but goddamn, I'd kill to get another SMT game with a soundtrack like it (the SMT4/A stuff is definitely great too though, I love the old SMT vibes).

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
So this is technically Persona 3 right? I loved 4 and am working my way through 5 right now.

I love Persona, but this not NOT Persona. SMT plays very different in term how it paced and Story. but if u enjoyed press turn combat the u are for a treat here.

Philippo

One of the Greats.

All hail Matador.

I'd actually love a full blown remake of this, with smoother controls and graphics to make the artstyle shine even more.

So this is technically Persona 3 right? I loved 4 and am working my way through 5 right now.

Different series entirely with completely different feels. There's some overlap because of the demons/Personas and they share the same director (Hashino) & composer (Shoji Meguro) but aside from that, they both go for different things.

Xbro

I think the Nocturne soundtrack is one of the best of all time, but I'd say some tracks are still of an acquired taste, kinda.

That song in particular is pretty cool because the lyrics are meant to be Demifiend's thoughts, it's a really nice touch.

Didn't want to talk about the music before because I dislike focusing too much on it while the entirety of the game is such a masterpiece, but goddamn, I'd kill to get another SMT game with a soundtrack like it (the SMT4/A stuff is definitely great too though, I love the old SMT vibes).
Lord of the Netherworld is my favorite track from Nocturne. So great.

Nope. Persona is a spin-off series. This is mainline.

Leagues above Persona 3 anyway

Lynx_7

Lord of the Netherworld is my favorite track from Nocturne. So great.

I also love that track and the scenes it plays on. Still
Lucifer's
best portrayal in the series imo (well, not counting 2 since I haven't played that one), even if he barely speaks. Maybe that's precisely why he feels more imposing. :p

Also, did we ever get any official confirmation as to the woman in black's identity?

Xbro

I also love that track and the scenes it plays on. Still
Lucifer's
best portrayal in the series imo (well, not counting 2 since I haven't played that one), even if he barely speaks. Maybe that's precisely why he feels more imposing. :p

Very disappointed in how he appeared in SMTIV and Apocalypse. He was exactly as you'd expect him to be in Nocturne.

randomkid

Yeah even going as far back as the Famicom games, he's never been more magisterial than he was in this one, which is exactly the right way to do that character.

Dunkley

Of course it still is incredible when no game topped it since. :p

Seriously though Nocturne is one of the few games that truly made me feel that I'm not just playing a well crafted entertainment product, but rather I am experiencing something truly unique.

If I were asked to change anything of it I don't even know what I would change. The world building, the environmental storytelling, the aesthetic, the music, the press turn system, the writing. It's all so on point and I think I'd do more harm than good changing anything about it.

Zeroro

An HD remaster of this game that made QoL improvements through the fusion system and stuff would be incredible.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
The journey to get the Lucifer/True Demon ending was one of the most amazing JRPGs experiences I've ever had the pleasure of playing through. The struggle towards the deepest part of the Amala, fighting all the Devils / Angels (seriously, the scenes involving Metatron was incredibly badass), conquering all the Fiends, and in the end every single demons in the world acknowledging the Demi-Fiend as the ultimate form of badass was just so, so, so, so, so incredible.

Some kind of HD remaster would be great. Visually the game still holds up pretty well at higher resolutions when played on an emulator. The biggest problem is that the sound quality of the music is terrible, which is such a shame because it deserves so much better.

Xbro

HD Remaster:

Higher Resolution
Better Lighting
Better Sound Quality
Dante
No new characters or arcs, we already got Lightning in a bottle with Dante and the Fiend Race in Maniax, I don't know if I trust them to add anything else.

NolbertoS

I want SMT3 on Switch now. SMT 1 and 2 are on IOS, they can easily be ported to Switch, same with SMT 3 and 4 someday. Haven't played Nocturne since 2004

randomkid

There's so much great music I never paid attention to too on that mammoth linked unreleased songs youtube video. I'm currently obsessed with a song that was given the title "Manekata Massacre."

We had a pretty good debate about it at PA, many years ago. Speculation is that she's a high ranking goetic demon.

None of the Goetia demons are motherly figures or otherwise have anything noteworthy in common with her that isn't shared among each other. At best you can claim Paimon for his effeminate appearance and particular loyalty, but those are slim pickings.

cj_iwakura

None of the Goetia demons are motherly figures or otherwise have anything noteworthy in common with her. At best you can claim Paimon for his effeminate appearance and particular loyalty, but those are slim pickings.

I think Paimon was the theory, yes. At least it's nice of Atlus to not outright say, I miss the era of storytelling restraint.

Shoutout to Y to the Kev who sent me his own copy to play through when you couldn't find this for less than $80 anywhere and I owned like a grand total of four bucks in my whole life.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Shoutout to Y to the Kev who sent me his own copy to play through when you couldn't find this for less than $80 anywhere and I owned like a grand total of four bucks in my whole life.

Why would you go through all the trouble when you can buy it through PSN for like, real cheap?

People really should give up on this. The R&D1 era is dead to modern day Atlus. Not to be pessimistic, it's just a fact.

Man, they don't have to remaster it or anything. Just make it playable as is in PS4 and I would be a very happy dude (and I will rebuy it again immediately)

Possibly the best JRPG i've ever played. Did my replay last year too, and ended up finishing it twice!

A PS4 remaster would help people experience the greatness that is SMT3.

dammit randomkid now i want to replay nocturne and persona 1. i'm never going to finish strange journey

I wrote an essay about Nocturne once, but I lost it a while back. Mostly focusing on art direction and the illusion of choice that the game provides. Both of these are really strong throughout the mainline series as a whole, but Nocturne is such a wonderful culmination of it all. I remember hating it when I first played it when I was... 14, 15 or so? That really sticks with me because in retrospect, I hated it because it was so brilliant and evocative. I was in a bad funk and Nocturne amplified it. Played it a few years later and fell in love with all the subtleties of the game and its storytelling. Its blend of gameplay here helps too - as you said, press turn really melds well with the cruelness of Nocturne's world (in addition to being very enjoyable).

Wish I had more clear thoughts - maybe after a replay I'll be able to say more - but it really is one of my favorite games. It and SMT1 really resonate with me. Never thought about the similarities to P1 before, but it makes sense (and might explain why I'm so fond of P1 as well).

I wish Atlus would remaster Nocture and the DDS games for the PS4. Or at the very least put them up as PS2 Classics. I still have yet to play Nocture, and I haven't played DDS since it came out.

Golnei

None of the Goetia demons are motherly figures or otherwise have anything noteworthy in common with her that isn't shared among each other. At best you can claim Paimon for his effeminate appearance and particular loyalty, but those are slim pickings.

Maybe we'll find out when she comes back in Deep Strange Journey as Louisa's loli maid.

SUPGUYZ

Banned
It's fantastic and probably the best SMT! I think it can be a little hard to get it into since the difficulty spike is very high once you fight the Matador and Dante

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
One of the finest games ever made with an amazing atmosphere. Best turn-based RPG combat system (although Grandia is a pretty close second). And overall really set the tone for that Atlus era.

Top Bottom