• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei 4 announced for 3DS (Teaser site live)

Teknoman

Ooooh, I wonder if they'll do SMT1&2 remakes now too. Another reason to keep delaying my playthrough of those games ha.

Eager for more details, Kaneko, I'm goddamn ready!

I really would like to see them remake some of the older titles, specifically IF since that one has the scientist guy that seems to be a recurring boss battle. Never played it and still waiting on the translation, but still would be cool to see a mad scientist boss battle again today.

Aeana

Ooooh, I wonder if they'll do SMT1&2 remakes now too. Another reason to keep delaying my playthrough of those games ha.

I dunno if they'll do SMT 1&2 again just yet, but I could be wrong.
I think it'd be interesting if they did a full-on remake that overhauled all of the systems as well.

randomkid

I dunno if they'll do SMT 1&2 again just yet, but I could be wrong.
I think it'd be interesting if they did a full-on remake that overhauled all of the systems as well.

Yeah definitely. Although I'm enough of a weirdo purist to want to experience the originals anyways at some point.

So then was this the final bit of news you've been sitting on? Or is there a Part 4 haha.

I don't think they will remake 1 & 2, considering they seem to be content with the Super Famicom and PS1 ports on VC and PSN.

Edit: For the Xenosaga fans who posted here, here the quotes I posed seem to be from a site that goes into depth over conjecture as to what future Xenosaga might be as well as the connections to Xenogears and Xenosaga. I've yet to read it, but it might be interesting. I'll keep the Xenosaga off topic talk out of here from now on though:

http://xenoverse.xenotensei.com/story/analysis.htm

It does in fact seem like Xenogears wasn't intended on having a game sequel.

Takahashi needs to go back to Soma Bringer and do more games to flesh out that world though. :p

Was Soma Bringer actually any good? I see it for cheap around here all the time but I never bite.

A winter release for IV would be excellent, assuming they're already pretty far into development.

Caelestis

I am not sure if I am excited... I really wanted this to be on a console. I miss the cell shaded look of Nocturne and DDS in all recent games. I guess I'll need to see more news/pictures of this to decide.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
OMG SMTV!! MEGATEN MEGATON!!!!!!!

I'm kidding, I knew they'd use IV because SJ wasn't set in Japan. So this one is definitely in Tokyo then? Cool. Atlus already made my 3DS purchase inevitable with Soul Hackers, so this is just another huge nudge. All the sweeter with Mario and KH (even if it does turn out to be worse than BbS now).

Hopefully we won't have to wait too long for details. Thankfully this will undoubtedly have Kaneko in charge, but I wonder who will be the director or lead game designer.

duckroll

^
RE: Xenosaga. I definitely remember reading a specific interview with Takahashi in Japanese way back when XS Ep1 was announced in 2001. I tried searching for it again and lots of sites are either gone or they've been redesigned since then with the old stuff removed. So I guess we'll just have to end the discussion here.

Was Soma Bringer actually any good? I see it for cheap around here all the time but I never bite.

A winter release for IV would be excellent, assuming they're already pretty far into development.

I liked it a lot. Great characters, interesting world, fun gameplay. There's visible equipment and the characters play different with a ton of weapon types. Soundtrack was awesome too.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Is there supposed to be a strict rule or something somewhere that stated a numbered Shin Megami Tensei must be placed in Japan? Has ATLUS ever said something to this effect?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

Don't get me excited and make me expect more, randomkid. :p

I'd love SMT1&2 remakes, but I'm not sure they'd go through with them since they have the other versions readily available in Japan.

RyougaSaotome said:
I'd go for it if you can get it on the cheap. The art direction is great (very colourful and pretty). Combat's quite involved due to the break system. All buttons can be mapped to have an attack on it. L/R can be used to switch between an item palette and another palette for skills, so the combat can be pretty fun. The game focuses quite heavily on customization (in terms of distributing points to stats and skills), and selecting classes. Characters and world are good. Parts of it kinda reminded me of Diablo, actually, now that I think about it.

The soundtrack's alright--it's Mitsuda, but it isn't really Chrono Cross/Xenogears-calibre or anything, imo.

Eusis

Not happening. In the unlikely event SMT4 stars older characters, Persona 5 won't.
If we see older for SMT4 they'd probably be 18-20, the former being the line between high schooler/adult. Persona 5's become too entrenched with school life, though I guess they could always do a serious shakeup with 5, but it'd probably be college life or something instead of work life or whatever.

Koroviev

Don't get me excited and make me expect more, randomkid. :p

I'd love SMT1&2 remakes, but I'm not sure they'd go through with them since they have the other versions readily available in Japan.

I'd go for it if you can get it on the cheap. The art direction is great (very colourful and pretty). Combat's quite involved due to the break system. All buttons can be mapped to have an attack on it. L/R can be used to switch between an item palette and another palette for skills, so the combat can be pretty fun. The game focuses quite heavily on customization (in terms of distributing points to stats and skills), and selecting classes. Characters and world are good. Parts of it kinda reminded me of Diablo, actually, now that I think about it.

The soundtrack's alright--it's Mitsuda, but it isn't really Chrono Cross/Xenogears-calibre or anything, imo.

I read that as "soma burger," thinking it was some strange SMT-inspired food item in Japan.

YES! Mara be praised! The next RPG of the Generation is upon us!

Man, P2:EP, Soul Hackers, keeping the Demon's Souls servers up, now this. Atlus is on goddamn fire again! The streets flow with the tears of the non-believers!

No more highschoolers please

Please atlus!

Not before they're turned into horrific freaks by their own hands in a lust for demonic POWER! It is the Megaten Way!

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
That was the given reason why SJ is SJ and not 4.

Yes. It's in this interview. Kaneko specifically says that the reason why SJ wasn't 4 was because it wasn't in Tokyo like the other games.

Huh, never knew that.

But a proper SMT game set in other locales would be an interesting twist. Hell the demons themselves are already comprised from lores of various places/beliefs, so why not expand the setting for the games themselves?

No more highschoolers please

Please atlus!

But it might drive more sales, especially in Japan.

Hero

Whoa, didn't see this announcement coming but definitely happy to hear it. Still looking more forward to P5 than anything though.

Lots of salty tears here.

cj_iwakura

Yup, I hope the people whining about how Index was destroying the Atlus legacy around the time Overclocked was announced feel super stupid now.

Whether Index let Atlus do as they pleased or encouraged them to focus on their best IPs, either way, they've done no wrong in my eyes.

Fuck, guess I won't be playing it.

The 3DS has to be the most uncomfortable, unwieldy handheld I've every used

Maybe if an XL comes out

AniHawk

i really need to get around to finishing nocturne. now that i sorta 'get' how to play these games, nocturne shouldn't be quite as hard.

this is probably the millionth time it's been said, but i thought strange journey was smt 4.

Eusis

Maybe if an XL comes out
I have to admit, the 3DS IS less comfortable than I'd like, and I was generally OK with the DSi and prior! I'll probably need to grab the Mario Kart grip.

cj_iwakura

I wonder if they really are planning a 20th anniversary shindig.

This is certainly a great way of doing it. Soul Hackers port, 3DS SMTIV, Persona 5(hopefully)... going all in.

Only thing bigger would be Raidou 3.

Yup, I hope the people whining about how Index was destroying the Atlus legacy around the time Overclocked was announced feel super stupid now.

Me and some others were on edge. That's ok. In this generation, it's a wise state of mind. Thankfully that was bracing for an impact that never came.

randomkid

Maybe if an XL comes out

I had a surprisingly unpleasant experience with the 3DS when I basically rented it for a month, so I totally agree with you, (how the eff did they manage to make it so much worse than my beloved Lite?) But I'm pretty confident that a revision that addresses all the annoying ergonomics will be released by the time this gets to us in the States.

The real question is if it'll hit in time for Soul Hackers. My guess is it'll be early 2013 so I'm hoping yes.

I'd go for it if you can get it on the cheap.

Cheers Schala, duckroll! I'll grab it next time I see it!

Back on topic: Also the architecture on the bottom of the ad kind of reminds me of a few buildings in Tokyo from way back. Maybe it doesn't take place present day?

cj_iwakura

Cheers Schala, duckroll! I'll grab it next time I see it!

Back on topic: Also the architecture on the bottom of the ad kind of reminds me of a few buildings in Tokyo from way back. Maybe it doesn't take place present day?

None of the core SMTs are present day, really.

I really feel that a world map is a bigger deal in terms of presentation than most people think, with regards to a numbered SMT. There's a clear evolution, and SMT4 should follow suit to meet expectations.

I DEMAND THE RETURN OF BLUEPOINTERMAN

I just hope they ditch the stupid little icon thingy. Actual animations for the world map or bust! ><;

i will fucking destroy you

It's kind of a shame they didn't port Nocturne to 3DS to prep for this. Would dig SMT3 on a handheld.

Oh God.

Teknoman

Nocturne had high school students, but werent they a few weeks from graduation anyway? Technically they were already adults then.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
i really need to get around to finishing nocturne. now that i sorta 'get' how to play these games, nocturne shouldn't be quite as hard.

I never got around to finishing Nocturne either. I should start a fresh run on PCSX2.

randomkid

I DEMAND THE RETURN OF BLUEPOINTERMAN

You really oughtta play Persona charlequin.

rgz8f.jpg

VCU9a.jpg

Top Bottom