• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei 4 announced for 3DS (Teaser site live)

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I really hope they redesign this system, though. I don't want to buy a peripheral for a second analog stick.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Holy crap. This is so unexpected, and amazing. How did they keep this secret this long.

iiam.gif

rouken

Update: There are also reports in Japan that the game is actually headed to the 3DS and not the Vita. The inclusion of the PS Vita logo appears to be a Photoshop.

lol, sorry guys. just saw it on my news feed.

i didn't realize fans would go that far just to see it on the platform of their choice. :D

The ironic thing about that Kotaku post is that the article from Hachima that they sourced is laughing about how fake and stupid the whole thing looks.

Seriously, it's really not that hard to figure these things out if you actually take the time to read.

Aeana

I just hope they ditch the stupid little icon thingy. Actual animations for the world map or bust! ><;

The icon is a very important aspect, though, and it serves a purpose. Did you know that you can tell your alignment based on how the icon spins?

CSX

You're in the wrong neighbourhood, sir.

With this and Soul Hackers 3DS, I'll be importing a 3DS eventually.

But I loved Nocturne.
SMT3 was a first-person dungeon crawler with a 3rd person view! Dungeons were all designed really similarly to the older games. It was made more apparent by the first-person option you get in a new cycle.

I'm cool with whatever perspective as long as the dungeon design carries on in a similar style.

And when i tried the new camera out, i instantly hated it. Sigh, i guess its just a turnoff for me. Hopefully, game has optional camera views from the getgo.

Foffy

Banned
The ironic thing about that Kotaku post is that the article from Hachima that they sourced is laughing about how fake and stupid the whole thing looks.

Seriously, it's really not that hard to figure these things out if you actually take the time to read.

It's Brian Ashcraft, the same guy who confused Pandora's Tower with The Last Story and accused Hironobu Sakaguchi for being a thief because the cover of Pandora's Tower (a game he had no hand in) was similar to Final Fantasy artwork. Of course when he made this correction, he never acknowledged his original article in any fashion.

Do you expect someone like that to actually read and attempt to analyze things? He's the same guy who has his own shift on Kotaku that's not even focused about video games.

Joule

The icon is a very important aspect, though, and it serves a purpose. Did you know that you can tell your alignment based on how the icon spins?

Oh that's really cool. Didn't know about that. What are the differences between each?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

Are you serious? Holy crap. That kind of attention to detail is kind of startling.

Also, I think it's kind of hilarious how a year ago, we were all like "the 3DS is a piece of shit with no games." And now, the 3DS has like... everything awesome that Japan's producing, apparently. SMT4 is about as megaton as it gets for real RPG fans.

Christ people you can get a 3DS for $100 on Ebay. Probably less after this game releases. Why the anger? Would you rather have it come to a next-gen console you don't own and have to shell out at least $200-350? Yes yes you wanted it to come out to * the platform I own* but considering that this game had many routes it could have taken, this isn't one of the worse ones.

Danny Dudekisser

Christ people you can get a 3DS for $100 on Ebay. Probably less after this game releases. Why the anger? Would you rather have it come to a next-gen console you don't own and have to shell out at least $200-350?

I think the bigger point for most is that next-gen console = prettier pictures.

Maybe financially unfeasible, but we don't know whether or not that's the case.

Aselith

Christ people you can get a 3DS for $100 on Ebay. Probably less after this game releases. Why the anger? Would you rather have it come to a next-gen console you don't own and have to shell out at least $200-350? Yes yes you wanted it to come out to * the platform I own* but considering that this game had many routes it could have taken, this isn't one of the worse ones.

Hell yes! Is this a thing we can make happen?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Also, I think it's kind of hilarious how a year ago, we were all like "the 3DS is a piece of shit with no games." And now, the 3DS has like... everything awesome that Japan's producing, apparently. SMT4 is about as megaton as it gets for real RPG fans.
After this:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/conference2011/index.html

With the announcement of MH4 and decently planned layout of games to release it was undoubtedly confirmed 3DS would pick up in Japan.

I think the bigger point for most is that next-gen console = prettier pictures.

Maybe financially unfeasible, but we don't know whether or not that's the case.

It is. These games are targeted at the Japanese. Japanese don't play consoles. Actually looking at Media Create everything that isn't 3DS is selling like shit.

And yes budget wise it isn't too feasible to develop a game with hundreds of animated 3D models that will have a snow balls change in hell to even reach three quarters of a million copies sold.

cj_iwakura

I'd love this for PS3 as much as anyone, if not more, but I'm willing to be realistic. As lackluster as SJ's sales were, it's a miracle we're getting this.

The 3DS can do big things. I just hope this can live up to the concept.

Danny Dudekisser

It is. These games are targeted at the Japanese. Japanese don't play consoles. Actually looking at Media Create everything that isn't 3DS is selling like shit.

And yes budget wise it isn't too feasible to develop a game with hundreds of animated 3D models that will have a snow balls change in hell to even reach three quarters of a million copies sold.

I guess I was kinda curious if SMT's one of those series that tends to sell better in the West than it does in Japan... in which case, maybe a console game would make sense. I don't pay a whole lot of attention to sales charts in general.

But come to think of it, being able to reuse the PS2 SMT demon models is obviously waaaaaay cheaper than redoing it all on PS3 or something. When you think about it, SMT would probably be stupid expensive to make for an HD console... Well, obviously you already thought about it. I hadn't.

Akainu

Don't pretend you care about how it does financially when it's on the platform you want it to be on. Your game is transparent son.

zoku88

Man, I'm going to have to get a 3DS now :-/

I wasn't going to get one because of the region-locking (which I think is anti-consumer).... but... I'm far too weak T_T.

Well, my mind is pretty blown now.

Top Bottom