• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei 4 announced for 3DS (Teaser site live)

See this thread? No meltdowns. I don't think Persona 5 on 3DS would cause many mental breakdowns either - most people are mentally prepared for stuff like that by now, even if they don't like it.

The DS (now 3DS) and PSP (now probably Vita) have long been the home of this sort of game. There might be a PS3 release at some time or another, but really anybody who wants to play these sorts of games would (or should!) have got a hand held a long time ago.
So I don't see it as a big deal wherever it ends up.

Oh and to be "that guy"...

Nocturne had a really interesting premise and the challenge was really welcome. But that didn't stop it from being a completely boring game. DDS and Persona are the real stars, so I hope this game takes a few lessons from them, preserves some of the few good parts that still hold up from the previous games in the direct series and comes out a stronger experience.

Now, I'll get my coat...

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Oh and to be "that guy"...

Nocturne had a really interesting premise and the challenge was really welcome. But that didn't stop it from being a completely boring game. DDS and Persona are the real stars, so I hope this game takes a few lessons from them, preserves some of the few good parts that still hold up from the previous games in the direct series and comes out a stronger experience.

Now, I'll get my coat...

You are calling Nocturne boring but championing Digital Devil Saga as the counter for it? O_________O

Lame dungeon designs, unforgiving random encounter rate, and grinding-focused level-up mechanic all in one package?

Aeana

We don't need to make all of the series into one homogeneous mess. Persona and SMT are different beasts entirely, and they should remain as such. You'll get your Persona 5, you don't need SMT4 to substitute for it in the interim.

I think it's amusing how everyone is bitching about the console it's gonna be released.

The 3DS is perfect for Atlus games, I can't wait for more news!

The one thing DDS and the Persona games have in common is a strong in-your-face story focus, so perhaps that's what he wants. But it's not something that would work in an actual SMT game.
But like you said, I could also do without homogeny, thank you. Why even differentiate the titles at that point.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I'm curious about what battle system they'll use. Since EO4 looks like more of the same I kind of wish Daisuke Kanada was directing this so we could get a new Press Turn.

We don't need to make all of the series into one homogeneous mess. Persona and SMT are different beasts entirely, and they should remain as such. You'll get your Persona 5, you don't need SMT4 to substitute for it in the interim.

Nor do I want it to be and that isn't what I said. I agree SMT4 should not be a story driven experience. However it should have decent gameplay which is critical given the style of the game and this is where some lessons can be learnt.

Unless you are suggesting that the old SMT games are perfect in their systems, then you should be a bit more open minded about it beyond just "I don't want it to be persona". To me 3 was incredibly slow and clunky. I respect people holding those games dear in their hearts, but that doesn't automatically result in a good game in 2012 and in fact can end up doing more harm then good.

Soulhouf

Do you think there is a chance for Kaneko and Okada to be involved?
That would be really wonderful to see the glory days of the series be back.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
My issue is now whether or not I want to buy a US 3DS for this. Might just give me too much of a headache.

Why bother now with such a question ? It`ll take probably a year for an english version to be released - who knows which options will be available by then.

Aeana

Nor do I want it to be and that isn't what I said. I agree SMT4 should not be a story driven experience. However it should have decent gameplay which is critical given the style of the game and this is where some lessons can be learnt.

Unless you are suggesting that the old SMT games are perfect in their systems, then you should be a bit more open minded about it beyond just "I don't want it to be persona". I respect people holding those games dear in their hearts, but that doesn't automatically result in a good game in 2012 and in fact can end up doing more harm then good.

I don't even know what you're talking about, honestly. You ask for "decent gameplay." What does that mean? What, exactly, don't you like about SMT3's gameplay that is so much better in DDS and Persona?

Soulhouf

Unless you are suggesting that the old SMT games are perfect in their systems, then you should be a bit more open minded about it beyond just "I don't want it to be persona". To me 3 was incredibly slow and clunky. I respect people holding those games dear in their hearts, but that doesn't automatically result in a good game in 2012 and in fact can end up doing more harm then good.

SMT3's gameplay is one of the series finest IMO.
What do you call a decent gameplay?

Mognet

I wish this was on a platform that I own. /:

I guess I'll purchase a 3DS further down the road after this is released in America.
Damn you region lock!

BlueSteel

Strange Journey isn't even fit to touch the ground Nocturne walks on.
I'm sure you'd love other SMT games, Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga in particular, the Persona games as well probably.

Looks like I'll be adding Nocturne to the "higher priority of games that I should play" list then :D

Guys, if this is a success, and since the Devil Survivor series was a success, what if they do a reboot of Majin Tensei with the Devil Survivor engine?

Anyways, I am really torn about this game, I wanted it on Vita for the sick graphics and the fact that it could live up to Nocturne in some way if it was on Vita, yet I want this on 3ds for the map always on screen damn it...

I don't even know what you're talking about, honestly. You ask for "decent gameplay." What does that mean? What, exactly, don't you like about SMT3's gameplay that is so much better in DDS and Persona?

DDS fixes a lot of broken things in the skills system from Nocturne. Persona, whilst different builds on the press-turn system and actually has a flow to what you are doing and gives you a lot more scope to try things out mid-battle, without being locked into trial and error.

When you put all the missing elements together, it makes SMT3 a chore to play for me unless you seriously love the setting or something along those lines. Without any interesting story or characters along to drive it (which I agree it doesn't necessarily need), you are really going to limit the amount of people who enjoy it. Darker themes = free pass may cut it for some, but I like more from my games.

I'm all for updating and improving things in games. Fine if you think SMT3 has no room for improvement, but that attitude doesn't lend itself to much discussion.

Looks like I'll be adding Nocturne to the "higher priority of games that I should play" list then :D

Give it a go, always interested in what people think. But don't go into it expecting the world, keep an open mind. I can tell you Ultima 6 is the best game ever (and it is). But truth be told the systems in it are completely out of date and make it very painful to play today. When UX is announced at E3, I would want it to be brought up to date too. This is of course a very risky/scary thing, but leaving it alone and relying on nostalgia just will not do.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Why are people expecting Okada to be involved with this? Did someone locate where he is on this planet?

Guys, if this is a success, and since the Devil Survivor series was a success, what if they do a reboot of Majin Tensei with the Devil Survivor engine?

Anyways, I am really torn about this game, I wanted it on Vita for the sick graphics and the fact that it could live up to Nocturne in some way if it was on Vita, yet I want this on 3ds for the map always on screen damn it...

So basically you would love to see this on the Wii U. Graphics and extra screen all in one. That would fulfill all your dreams right?

But it's still on 3DS :p

Aeana

DDS fixes a lot of broken things in the skills system from Nocturne. Persona, whilst different builds on the press-turn system and actually has a flow to what you are doing and gives you a lot more scope to try things out mid-battle, without being locked into trial and error.

When you put all the missing elements together, it makes SMT3 a chore to play for me unless you seriously love the setting or something along those lines. Without any interesting story or characters along to drive it (which I agree it doesn't necessarily need), you are really going to limit the amount of people who enjoy it. Darker themes = free pass may cut it for some, but I like more from my games.

I'm all for updating and improving things in games. Fine if you think SMT3 has no room for improvement, but that attitude doesn't lend itself to much discussion.

I can't have a discussion with you if you keep arguing against things I never said. I never, ever, ever said that SMT3 has no room for improvement. The only thing I said was that we don't need to bring things from other series that don't belong.

Things from SMT3 have been greatly improved in other games, particularly in terms of UI, and fusion and negotiation have had some pretty great ideas in later games, particularly in Raidou 2. These are things that anybody would welcome in SMT4, because they're things that belong in SMT, but improved. It sounded like you were asking them to change what SMT is just because you don't like it.

Foffy

Banned

I for one, despite being tired of re-releases, would actually be for that. I've always wanted to give the Majin Tensei subseries a try but there's not any translations for it, and because it's not like the main games, it's probably at the backburner of the fan-translation want list.

ranmafan

This was certainly great news to hear today. While I would have to admit I would've loved it to be on vita or PS3 instead, Im have no problem that its on 3DS and just happy its coming. Cant wait to hear more about the game in the weeks to come!

I can't have a discussion with you if you keep arguing against things I never said. I never, ever, ever said that SMT3 has no room for improvement. The only thing I said was that we don't need to bring things from other series that don't belong.

Things from SMT3 have been greatly improved in other games, particularly in terms of UI, and fusion and negotiation have had some pretty great ideas in later games, particularly in Raidou 2. These are things that anybody would welcome in SMT4, because they're things that belong in SMT, but improved. It sounded like you were asking them to change what SMT is just because you don't like it.

Fair enough, I take your point that it may have seemed like I was arguing for the story and social elements. Whilst the games are quite different in that regard, and rightly so, the other systems such as battle and skills are more or less shared, refined (DDS) or evolutionary (Persona), and certainly in my opinion should be able to be borrowed from. Dismissing it as just 'someone wanting another persona' was where I took it you were dismissing the argument. I have played through and enjoyed a large number of games like SMT3, it just didn't do it for me, but I believe it can be improved upon and fixed, making it a game, like the others, that I did enjoy. Of course this may mean a game that other fans don't like. Such is the fun of game development.

This will be a very hard balance to strike for them. I'm sure they will do 'something' to change things up, especially given they are essentially starting out on the 3ds and may be a little nervous to know if the market is there yet (and indeed the market for their games has changed quite a lot since those PS2 days).

Will be interesting to see what they do if much at all.

How on earth is it perfect for Atlus games?
The mere fact it's region locked and Atlus have no presence in Europe means the 3DS is the worst system for Atlus games, exclusively.

Bad for 'Europeans' but in the sense of them releasing reasonably lower budget games and making enough money to stay in business, it probably makes the most sense at this point.

Bad for 'Europeans' but in the sense of them releasing reasonably lower budget games and making enough money to stay in business, it probably makes the most sense at this point.

It's never been a problem for them in the past, there's no reason why 3DS can be their only safe route at all, Atlus are good at budgeting and getting a good return on any platform, their bigger budget stuff like Persona 3/4 and Catherine all sold very well for them. Cost/Profits are certainly no reason why 3DS is a perfect system for Atlus, at any rate.

Danielsan

Cost/Profits are certainly no reason why 3DS is a perfect system for Atlus, at any rate.
Actually it probably is. Because they can basically port over the art assets of their demon database from the PS2 games. It's also the least powerful "current" system on the market right now, which should ultimately translate to the lowest development costs.

Lagunamov

Disapointing...3DS is not the best system to show the greatness of the world megaten, I was expecting something with good graphics...

Actually it probably is. Because they can basically port over the art assets of their demon database from the PS2 games. It's also the least powerful "current" system on the market right now, which should ultimately translate to the lowest development costs.
My point was that, Atlus, to me at least, doesn't seem like a make or break type of company, they cater to their fans enough to make a profit no matter what system they release something on - so in terms of software it shouldn't be all 3DS or nothing, like some people would like to believe

It's never been a problem for them in the past, there's no reason why 3DS can be their only safe route at all, Atlus are good at budgeting and getting a good return on any platform, their bigger budget stuff like Persona 3/4 and Catherine all sold very well for them. Cost/Profits are certainly no reason why 3DS is a perfect system for Atlus, at any rate.

Yes, in the past, but that doesn't necessarily help them today. Persona 3 and 4 were on the PS2 which is more equivalent to the 3DS then say the PS3. Catherine did the job on a HD platform, but it isn't nearly of the same size and scope as the other games.

It isn't proven yet they can do the work efficiently enough to get say Persona 5 on the PS3 to a similar level as the previous games. They would have learnt a lot from Catherine about what they can produce and what sales they would need. Maybe we will find out at say the TGS what they are thinking, but I'm guessing the equation isn't so good for them. I'm sure they will want to as you said, but it may not necessarily make sense for them to take a big risk (HD games are more expensive, and they can't just knock it up at this point like they did in the past). It may be Catherine type games are the fit for consoles and the more meaty games on hand helds?

Yes, in the past, but that doesn't necessarily help them today. Persona 3 and 4 were on the PS2 which is more equivalent to the 3DS then say the PS3. Catherine did the job on a HD platform, but it isn't nearly of the same size and scope as the other games.

It isn't proven yet they can do the work efficiently enough to get say Persona 5 on the PS3 to a similar level as the previous games. They would have learnt a lot from Catherine about what they can produce and what sales they would need. Maybe we will find out at say the TGS what they are thinking, but I'm guessing the equation isn't so good for them. I'm sure they will want to as you said, but it may not necessarily make sense for them to take a big risk (HD games are more expensive, and they can't just knock it up at this point like they did in the past). It may be Catherine type games are the fit for consoles and the more meaty games on hand helds?

I think you're underestimating Atlus' ability ;)
Let's see what they decide to do though

Still, 3DS exclusive Atlus titles is a major disappointment for me

Foffy

Banned
Didn't you get the memo? It's only a problem when America misses out on games.

It's not that, I think, it's just many attribute the types of games Atlus makes to rarely meet the norms of what people have been buying on consoles lately. Especially considering the market those games are a part of have migrated from consoles in the last half decade.

Sax_Man

Banned
Sadly, Atlus' platform of choice means that I will most likely skip this iteration of my beloved RPG series.

It's not that I don't enjoy playing handhelds. It's that when I game, it's gonna be at home - on my rig, or on my HDTV. When I leave my home, it's with the intention of doing something, like hanging out with friends, going bowling, hitting up a university club, working a job, etc. I don't vacation enough to make it worth bus or plane rides.

Why would I want to squint at two tiny screens when there are plenty of other games that meet my gaming desires? It still makes me extremely sad, as this is my all-time favorite RPG series.

Top Bottom