• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei 4 announced for 3DS (Teaser site live)

Daft_Cat

I loved Nocturne, but I'm more of a Persona 3/4 guy.

Still, since I already have a 3DS, I shall anticipate this with astounding vigour.

I doubt it. If Atlus had big ambitions to follow up on the success of Persona 3/4 we would probably have a Persona 5 right now instead of re-releases and a fighter spin-off.

Well, they are making a Persona 5, and it'll probably be on HD consoles (not sure if that's confirmed). SMT4, meanwhile, is on a handheld. Mix that together with all the Persona re-releases and the fighter, and I think it's pretty clear what they see as their central SMT series. I'm actually kind of glad, though. With the Persona franchise pretty much covered for the near future, they're far less likely to succumb to commercial pressures to bring SMT4 closer to the experience that P3/P4 already offer. With that in mind, putting the game on the 3DS probably helps too, given the cheaper development costs.

Eusis

Or if the world was "remade" into a new form, with only Tokyo city itself being retained!
Those lakes DO suspiciously look like craters though. Though I guess in remaking the world all the other cities/settlements left behind craters or something that gradually filled up, whatever.

If you didn't play SJ then you couldn't have been that big of a fan in the first place.

If this is about it moving towards handhelds, where have you been for the past two years?

sensitive bunch. SJ was a joke to me, a diversion, i was waiting for the true successor to one of my favorite PS2 games. instead the creatures chose to follow the money rather than create a grand spectacle in HD. thats their right, just like its my right to bail, i don't do handhelds.

wow
what a pleasant surprise. still waiting for the other 2 to appear in EU.

japanese gamers will probably go nuts over this news

truely <3 my 3DS

I've been waiting for something like this ever since the original 3DS announcement in 2010, when SMT and Etrian Odyssey were listed as possible Atlus releases. I think the Wi-Fi stuff modern handhelds like 3DS and Vita have is a perfect match for classic SMT, given that in the original Shin Megami Tensei, you played a bloke who got the devil summoning program over the internet and ran it off a portable computer... I think it has potential to tie in nicely. I've been looking forward to something like that since I was trading and looking up demon codes for Strange Journey.

sensitive bunch. SJ was a joke to me, a diversion, i was waiting for the true successor to one of my favorite PS2 games. instead the creatures chose to follow the money rather than create a grand spectacle in HD. thats their right, just like its my right to bail, i don't do handhelds.

This argument doesn't really make much sense. Wasn't SMT2 for Famicom? The series has always hopped between platforms. And of course the "creatures" go where the money is. Why do you think Nocturne was on PS2 in the first place?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Platforms "mainline" MT games have been on:
Famicom -> Famicom -> (Super Famicom / PC-Engine / Mega CD) -> Super Famicom -> PS2 -> DS -> 3DS

Platforms "spinoff" (Persona, Devil Summoner, etc) or remake games have been on:
Famicom, Super Famicom, Playstation, PS2, Saturn, PSP, Windows, PS Vita, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Xbox, DS, 3DS.

Stop platform hopping!!!!

Awesome!!! My favorite game is finally getting a sequel. I was hoping it would be on a console, but portable SMT is better than no SMT.

Considering the difference between the first two games and 3, and then that to Strange Journey I'm not getting my hopes up about this game.

If this game is more like the latter in design, it probably won't see Europe for a long long while if at all. A lot could depend on how well Devil Survivor 2 sells when it finally gets here.

Also wondering if they're going to be reusing assets from Devil Survivor 2, personally don't see Atlus designing monsters they already have 3/DS assets for from the ground up. If it was coming to the Vita then using Ps2/Psp assets wouldn't be much of an issue.

Considering the difference between the first two games and 3, and then that to Strange Journey I'm not getting my hopes up about this game.

If this game is more like the latter in design, it probably won't see Europe for a long long while if at all. A lot could depend on how well Devil Survivor 2 sells when it finally gets here.

Also wondering if they're going to be reusing assets from Devil Survivor 2, personally don't see Atlus designing monsters they already have 3/DS assets for from the ground up. If it was coming to the Vita then using Ps2/Psp assets wouldn't be much of an issue.

They can use PS2 assets on the 3DS, so that's the most likely candidate.

wrowa

I can't follow your reasoning. Why exactly do you think that they couldn't re-use PS2 assets on the 3DS?

I just hope the success of Persona 3/4 doesn't cause Atlus to wimp out with this game. I want a dark, unhappy RPG. I want Matador 2.0. I want more bosses who wear people's faces.

If they try and make it a little more lighthearted or try to appeal to the West, now that they've found success here... well, that's going to be a huge disappointment.

Funny you should mention lightheartedness appealing to the west; that was one of the big things they harped on in their ads for SMT3:

smt3ad.jpg

I also said back in the day that Megaten was the perfect gateway drug for WRPG fans to get into JRPGs due to the maturity level, agency, and holy triumvirate-derived battle systems. This holds true today, even with both subgenres taking on water lately.

duckroll

I don't think there is any chance that SMT4 is going to end up being a "cheap" looking 2D game with 3D dungeons at all. Even on the DS with SJ, because it had the SMT name on it, Atlus made a big effort to have animated sprites for enemies in battle. Animated sprites which they didn't re-use in any other game ever again.

Considering how they've already decided that because the 3DS has a 3D feature they want to take advantage of that and have actual 3D models in EO4, there is no reason to think that they're not making SMT4 a full 3D game. It's about time anyway.

This argument doesn't really make much sense. Wasn't SMT2 for Famicom? The series has always hopped between platforms. And of course the "creatures" go where the money is. Why do you think Nocturne was on PS2 in the first place?

It makes perfect sense, i don't want to play a main entry SMT on a handheld, i'm surprised you can't fathom that.

Varna

It makes perfect sense, i don't want to play a main entry SMT on a handheld, i'm surprised you can't fathom that.

It's just something we have to get use to. Anything Japanese that not guaranteed to make a bunch of money is just getting released on the 3DS. Plain and simple. Lots of the same talk around here went on when DQIX was announced.

The only SMT game I can see getting a console release is Persona.

isual

So it's official, SMT Strange Journey is not SMT4. Makes sense since it didn't get the 4 affix.

Also, what do you guys think, should I buy a 3DS now, or just wait when more info on this and soul hackers comes out. It's going to be obvious that his handheld generation Nintendo's got the lead.

I still have my old pink DS lite, and am on the fence if I should buy a 3DS.

Any good games on it now? RPG wise. (Already played Abyss on the ps2). And can I also play ds games on a 3DS?

thanks

I don't think there is any chance that SMT4 is going to end up being a "cheap" looking 2D game with 3D dungeons at all. Even on the DS with SJ, because it had the SMT name on it, Atlus made a big effort to have animated sprites for enemies in battle. Animated sprites which they didn't re-use in any other game ever again.

Considering how they've already decided that because the 3DS has a 3D feature they want to take advantage of that and have actual 3D models in EO4, there is no reason to think that they're not making SMT4 a full 3D game. It's about time anyway.

Nailed it, I think.

Also I was positively shocked that they never reused those animated sprites. I was expecting to see them pop up again in Devil Survivor 2 or even the 3DS enhanced port of DS.

For what it's worth, I thought SJ was a great looking DS game. The 3DS is a significantly more powerful beast (Revelations, Kid Icarus), and I'd be shocked if Atlus copped out on making this the game it could/should be.

Also, what do you guys think, should I buy a 3DS now, or just wait when more info on this and soul hackers comes out. Wait until they announce a release date for this game.

Any good games on it now? Mario, Kid Icarus, Zelda. RPG wise. devil survivor overlocked? great game. (Already played Abyss on the ps2). And can I also play ds games on a 3DS? yes, but it's a little blurry.

response in bold

Of course I can "fathom" it, I just don't really get why it's such a huge deal. It sucks that it's not on the platform you wanted/expected but you're being really dramatic about it.

randomkid

Platforms "spinoff" (Persona, Devil Summoner, etc) or remake games have been on:
Famicom, Super Famicom, Playstation, PS2, Saturn, PSP, Windows, PS Vita, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Xbox, DS, 3DS.

You're missing a bunch of systems. There were two Game Gear games even, how weird is that?

Even on the DS with SJ, because it had the SMT name on it, Atlus made a big effort to have animated sprites for enemies in battle. Animated sprites which they didn't re-use in any other game ever again.

Didn't they get reused in some GREE game, Devil Hunter Zero I think? Could be misremembering.

Also I'm not sure why people are wondering what platform Persona 5 is gonna be on. It's all but confirmed for PS360.

http://andriasang.com/comxue/persona_5_engine/

Damn, I am so excited for this. I hope that this game is a first person dungeon crawler where you play outsiders that must deal with the sudden appearance of an apocalyptic Tokyo in their fantasy world.

The story is convoluted but is flawlessly executed toward the end where you come to terms with a conclusion that shatters the entire perspective carefully constructed all along. Even the use of 3D plays a part in pulling at the wool.

Also I'm not sure why people are wondering what platform Persona 5 is gonna be on. It's all but confirmed for PS360.

http://andriasang.com/comxue/persona_5_engine/

I don't get it either. But, I wonder what that 3DS Persona game is going to be - IIRC one unnamed title was listed.

People question Persona 5 because they look at the PS2 era and see how much mileage Atlus got out of those demon models. It makes even more sense in this era to reuse demons in that fashion, and we're so late in the cycle that Persona 5 would probably be the only game to use those resources (at best we'd get a second game of some kind given how late in the cycle P4 came out, but even that is a far cry from the 7 last gen).

Honestly my biggest hope is that they push P5 to next gen, and kickoff a brand new era of SMT goodness.

At the very least, if they are making P5 on 360/PS3, I hope they're creating those demon models with an eye to the next generation.

mclem

So it's official, SMT Strange Journey is not SMT4. Makes sense since it didn't get the 4 affix.

Nah, SMT Strange Journey is indeed really SMT4. Simililarly, SMT IV is SMT5. QED!

All hell's going to break loose when we have to figure out what the hell's going on with SMT IX.

Paracelsus

People question Persona 5 because they look at the PS2 era and see how much mileage Atlus got out of those demon models. It makes even more sense in this era to reuse demons in that fashion, and we're so late in the cycle that Persona 5 would probably be the only game to use those resources (at best we'd get a second game of some kind given how late in the cycle P4 came out, but even that is a far cry from the 7 last gen).

Honestly my biggest hope is that they push P5 to next gen, and kickoff a brand new era of SMT goodness.

At the very least, if they are making P5 on 360/PS3, I hope they're creating those demon models with an eye to the next generation.

Their next generation is 3DS and maaaaaybe PSV/Wii U, they won't give a flying **** about PS4 and XBOX3.

7Th

Cancer killing gaming right here.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
In most ways I prefer SJ to Nocturne. Much better dungeons and I like the demon art a lot more.

Nocturne has waaaay better music though. SJ proved that there is such a thing as too much tonal dissonance in my arty SMT music!

Also, what do you guys think, should I buy a 3DS now, or just wait when more info on this and soul hackers comes out. It's going to be obvious that his handheld generation Nintendo's got the lead.

I still have my old pink DS lite, and am on the fence if I should buy a 3DS.

Any good games on it now? RPG wise. (Already played Abyss on the ps2). And can I also play ds games on a 3DS?

thanks

Never buy a platform until it has enough games RELEASED for you to bite the bullet. This is especially true for a single game.

All waiting will do is have you play the game you are looking forward to at the same time while all of the good games that came before that are cheaper. Also you still never know about this game. What if say the Wii U is a colossal success in Japan and Atlus moves it there? What if Index Holdings pulls the plug on the project? Or what if the game is released and just well sucks. Not trying to make heart jumps in this thread, but if last gen showed anything, never buy a console for games that aren't out yet.

C-Jo

All I ask is that the soundtrack comes close to Nocturne's. Strange Journey was a huge disappointment in that regard.

Top Bottom