• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS) - Trailer up! - TBA 2013 (New: Website update)

Sushigod7

I never played this game what should I expect from it? Some of the videos I saw of the older version look interesting is it a dungeon crawler rpg like Etrian Odyssey?

IrishNinja

voice acting, looks like SMT-3....yeah, im down for this, whenever it shows up!
wonder if we'll see Soul Hackers over here this year.

also - wasn't SJ IV?

EVOL 100%

voice acting, looks like SMT-3....yeah, im down for this, whenever it shows up!
wonder if we'll see Soul Hackers over here this year.

also - wasn't SJ IV?

Not really. They said the reason why they didn't call it 4 was because it didn't take place in Japan or something dumb like that.

This looks more like a true sequel to Nocturne than SJ anyway.

actually a bit sad about 3rd person but wateva, maybe there will be an option or at least an unlock like III?

No reason not to. I prefer 3rd person, but it would be cool to be able to play it in 1st person too.

EVOL 100%

Neophyte here, is this persona? Or different?

Persona is a spinoff of SMT. They play completely differently.

edit:beaten by Aeana twice :(

More detailed response:

Unlike in Megami Tensei and Shin Megami Tensei, the Persona series does not involve recruiting demons to fight for you. The player characters still carry a firearm and melee weapon like in Shin Megami Tensei, but magic comes from Personas as opposed from demons. Like demons, these Personas can be fused in order to create more powerful Personas. In addition, the lunar phases are important, which is a common theme in MegaTen games. Furthermore, while the Persona series uses the real-world currency, yen, or dollars, the Shin Megami Tensei series' currency are prominently identified with Macca.
Persona features an angled third-person perspective, but dungeons are still navigated using Megami Tensei's first person view. Since the release of Persona 2: Innocent Sin, the first-person dungeon exploration has been removed.

Courtsey of the Megaten Wiki

xJavonta

Banned
This is why we have a 3DS in the house. I don't care if it's pink, I will go out into public with it proudly with SMT 4 in the cartridge slot.

CANNOT WAIT

IrishNinja

No. Kaneko said that it would have been SMT4 had it been set in Japan.

seems sort've arbitrary, doesn't it? i mean, the earlier ones were, no doubt, but if say 3 (the one i played) had been, would that've changed much in the setting?

either way, good to know - thanks for clearing that up, Aeana.

Gimme dat 3D Cu Chulainn already!

oh man, just visualizing this gets me hyped!

Aeana

seems sort've arbitrary, doesn't it? i mean, the earlier ones were, no doubt, but if say 3 (the one i played) had been, would that've changed much in the setting?

either way, good to know - thanks for clearing that up, Aeana.

oh man, just visualizing this gets me hyped!

Specifically, set in Tokyo. It's just one of the things they've established as criteria for the series.

Ok thanks, might get a 3DS. I've never played persona or main line SMT before. I did watch the Giantbomb marathon, the series has Peaked my interest.

But there's no sim elements in SMT right?

Eirikr

I want screenshots of a fusion menu so bad. Though that's probably not the type of thing they'd think suitable for a hype trailer. (they would be wrong)

Zierath

Awesome, I'm really excited now. Looks like arm terminals are back. Hopefully we get direct feed shots from Famitsu soon.

7threst

I kinda wanted first person because I like the haunting atmosphere that first person gives off. But happy anyway! Need to see that trailer now!

Gloam

Wow. I thought they'd do much less... Like EO4 or something. This looks great! Looking forward to the trailer for sure.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Wow. Let's see if someone already uploaded it on YouTube and if I can post it before Index cancels it from the face of the Earth.

duckroll

Sawashiro's voice would be for the MC then ?
Seeing Kurapika in HxH it could be both, I love Sawashiro's voice so i'm fine either way.

What I've read is that she's voicing the character seen in the trailer, but no one seems to know for certain if that character is a male or a female, or if that's the MC.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
- Third Person
- There's a world map
- Looks like SMT3
- Voice acting
- Houchu Ohtsuka and Miyuki Sawashiro in the cast

YESS!

Oh wait, 3DS is region locked and Atlus will take out the Japanese voices =(

Still, really looking forward to it though.

Top Bottom