• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS) - Trailer up! - TBA 2013 (New: Website update)

Third person aaaaand... I'm sold!! :)

Really looking forward to this, as long as it gets an Euro release.

It's a tease XD, it's how you hype the game up more =D
So most Shin Megami Tensei has random encounter, wonder if this will be the same? Would it be yay or nay for you guys? As long as the encounter rate isn't incredibly high I don't mind.

I wouldn't mind random encounters as long as the encounter rate is not high...

I wonder. That would be interesting if they could manage that.

Xseed already published Corpse Party on the EU PSN, so I think it's definitely possible.
I'd still prefer a retail release though, possibly with one of Ghostlight's delicious Limited Editions :p

But Soul Hackers on 3DS is now fully voiced. Clearly the team is just moving forward from there!

Wasn't Avatar Tuner voiced too? :p

Yes it was, and even I, a J voice over fanatic, think that it was one of the most well done English voice overs of the past generation.

SerRodrik

Oooh, a return to Nocturne style? Awesome, Nocturne is one of my favorites of the Megaten games that I've played. Hoping for press turn battle system or equivalent and Kaneko on artwork.

Terra_Ex

On the one hand I'm loving the fact that we're finally getting another 3rd person SMT game, on the other its on a region locked portable. With regards to voice acting, do we know if the protagonist is silent or not (hoping so, have not watched the trailer yet.)

MrT-Tar

Ghostlight, give me a confirmation of a PAL localisation for both Soul Hackers and SMT4 and I will love you for all eternity. And EO4 while you're at it as well, unless Nintendo steps in like they did for the first game

Soulhouf

Didn't nocturne have a game plus where you could play first person? (I'm not sure)

Maybe this game will be the same?

You're right. But it was only during the exploration, not the battles. Not to mention that you had to beat the game first.

What would be great is that they offer the option to change the view during exploration as well as during battles and thus make everybody happy that way.

Nekki

You really don't see how they're not as accurately drawn as this?

Q70kY.jpg

I dunno, I hope you're right. For now though, I'll remain a skeptic. :p

That does look like CG to me, the way the neck area is layered with the clothes and hair gives it away.

Yuterald

People keep mentioning past titles. Should I have played SMT 1-3 before engaging with 4?

I would at least recommend picking up and playing Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, which is SMTIII. I haven't looked up the prices recently on Ebay, but the game did receive a re-print a few years back so I'm sure they're not hard to come by. I'm not sure if SMT I&II are easily accessible in English/NA? I've never played the first two SMT games. Nocturne is one of the best RPGs/games ever though so you should play it anyway!

Looks interesting, can't wait for the trailer itself to be uploaded. Good to see that they're going back to the Nocturne style for this one.

I would at least recommend picking up and playing Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, which is SMTIII. I haven't looked up the prices recently on Ebay, but the game did receive a re-print a few years back so I'm sure they're not hard to come by. I'm not sure if SMT I&II are easily accessible in English/NA? I've never played the first two SMT games. Nocturne is one of the best RPGs/games ever though so you should play it anyway!
I just want to know if this is somehow a continuation of SMT3. I've heard it's a great game, and it's on my to-play list. It's basically a question of whether I could play SMT4 right away, or whether I need to play SMT1-3 first.

Snakeyes

I just want to know if this is somehow a continuation of SMT3. I've heard it's a great game, and it's on my to-play list. It's basically a question of whether I could play SMT4 right away, or whether I need to play SMT1-3 first.

Nah, the SMT games are self-contained.

cj_iwakura

Of course it isn't if you played the game. When I played Nocturne I didn't figure out who was that character until a particular moment in the story. And I did play the 1 & 2 before.

Yeah, it's a spoiler for Nocturne, but then the problem becomes why haven't you played Nocturne yet?!

randomkid

why is it taking so long for someone to post the trailer, hurry uuuuuuup

Voice acting with "famous" voice actors concerns me a little since it suggests a poor allocation of resources. The cutscene stills remind me of 90's era anime OVAs, which is not a bad thing.

Yeah, it's a spoiler for Nocturne, but then the problem becomes why haven't you played Nocturne yet?!
Personally, I just heard about the MegaTen franchise this generation. Devil Survivor was announced for the DS, and I thought "huh, that looks interesting". So, the only MegaTen thing I've played is Devil Survivor, but I loved it, and love games that focus on our violent nature, so I'm looking to become a fan of the series.

Nah, the SMT games are self-contained.
I doubt it will be.
Thanks!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
They are self contained but each sequel does reference the previous game. II to I especially. This isn't a huge deal but it isn't like Final Fantasy.

Soulhouf

Believe it or not there are people who are interested in the franchise and yet they didn't play Nocturne or even worse, they are currently playing it.
Steven is not at all a spoiler but the other character was a big revelation in Nocturne's story.

Believe it or not there are people who are interested in the franchise and yet they didn't play Nocturne or even worse, they are currently playing it.
Steven is not at all a spoiler but the other character was a big revelation in Nocturne's story.

Im actually a little peeved that this particular revelation was spoiled. I had no idea that
Wheelchair dude was Lucifer
. I would have preferred finding this out myself.

Soulhouf

Saying Lucifer is in a SMT title is like saying Pikachu is in Pokemon. :p

One of my favorite part of the series is guessing and discovering who is Lucifer. The problem there is not to say if Lucifer is in the game. Of course he is, but whose character he is, that's the question and that's where comes the spoiler. Especially when in Nocturne it was subtle and he wasn't easy to guess.

Anyway no problem, but I would feel pissed off if I didn't play the game yet.

@SpaceBridge: sorry dude. But at least you're a proof of what I was trying to explain.

Top Bottom