• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS) - Trailer up! - TBA 2013 (New: Website update)

7threst

So, if there are already pictures floating around, what are the changes we'll be able to see the full trailer already tonight or tomorrow?

Persona86

Banned
I disagree that, if this were a PS3 project, Atlus all of a sudden neglecting gameplay and story in favour of graphics would be a realistic worry to have in the first place but other than that, your comment makes actually make sense now (it just sounded completely random before). Next time be a little more mindful of establishing proper context (I mean things personal expectations are something you actually need to explain for other people to know).

There was nothing confusing about my first post in the first place...

Of course we wouldn't have to worry about ATLUS making good gameplay if this game came to PS3, all I'm saying is that they now have "more" resources/money to focus on gameplay. If this was a huge PS3 project a lot more money/resource would be spent on graphics.
I'm saying that it's a win win situation, at first I was sad that it wasn't coming to PS3, but now I don't mind.

My first comment had more to do with the game than your confused reply = "What? What does that have to do with anything?"

EDIT: ok rereading my post, I can understand the confusion. but I assumed that because SMT: Digital Devil Saga, SMT: Nocture, Persona 3, Persona 4 etc came out on PS2 that most people like myself expected SMT4 to come on PS3, I guess I was wrong?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
- Third Person
- There's a world map
- Looks like SMT3
- Voice acting
- Houchu Ohtsuka and Miyuki Sawashiro in the cast

Hell fucking yeah.

Glad it's 3rd person. I love the old school dungeon crawling, but the more like Nocturne, the better!

Persona86

Banned
That's the picture I was talking about too. Way too well drawn to be anime. Almost 100% certain that's cel-shaded CG.

I'm gonna say I'm 80% sure that's anime. We have to remember that this game probably won't have that many cutscenes, so they have a lot more time to focus on detail in the anime compared to regular anime where they have to release a new episode every week and so have to find a fast approach to make anime.

Dantis

That's probably not a guy, also, it's definitely animated. :p

As in, 2D animation? Highly doubt it. Way too well drawn and shaded. At best, it's an illustration.

I'm gonna say I'm 80% sure that's anime. We have to remember that this game probably won't have that many cutscenes, so they have a lot more time to focus on detail in the anime compared to regular anime where they have to release a new episode every week and so have to find a fast approach to make anime.

Compare that to the anime in the Persona games, and it's miles ahead, and they'll have a waaaay bigger budget. The best anime Atlus have had so far is the Madhouse stuff, right? And it doesn't look even nearly as good as that.

Einhander

That looks nice. About time we got a third person Shin Megami Tensei game. I don't imagine the North American version will have a Japanese voice track, though. :(

Nairume

Banned
This looks fantastic, and I can't wait to see more.

I'm glad they're returning to a proper SMT game.

How have the other SMT games been on the 3DS and DS? I'm thinking of picking up a good one. How was that one with the main character in gold armor?

They were all pretty good and well worth tracking down, especially Strange Journey.

Was hoping for 1st person, but I suppose 3DS users now have the best of both worlds being able to play SMT4 and SJ on the same system.

Could anyone tell me how faithful those SMT GBA ports were to the originals? I'm kind of in the mood.

Persona86

Banned
As in, 2D animation? Highly doubt it. Way too well drawn and shaded. At best, it's an illustration.

Compare that to the anime in the Persona games, and it's miles ahead, and they'll have a waaaay bigger budget. The best anime Atlus have had so far is the Madhouse stuff, right? And it doesn't look even nearly as good as that.
I don't know, Catherine was pretty damn good, but I don't know what the budget was for that.

I guess we will have to wait for the trailer/Game to truly know.

PowderedToast

There was nothing confusing about my first post in the first place...

Of course we wouldn't have to worry about ATLUS making good gameplay if this game came to PS3, all I'm saying is that they now have "more" resources/money to focus on gameplay. If this was a huge PS3 project a lot more money/resource would be spent on graphics.
I'm saying that it's a win win situation, at first I was sad that it wasn't coming to PS3, but now I don't mind.

My first comment had more to do with the game than your confused reply = "What? What does that have to do with anything?"

EDIT: ok rereading my post, I can understand the confusion. but I assumed that because SMT: Digital devil saga, SMT: Nocture, Persona 3 and Persona 4 etc came out on PS2 that most people like myself expected SMT4 to come on PS3, I guess I was wrong?

remember that persona 4 hit the PS2 in 2009. i figured we might get one or two HD SMT games at the twilight of this generation, but i never imagined SMTIV as one of them - it's simply too niche for how console budgets are these days. 3DS is a fine compromise as it's clearly retaining the standard set by nocturne, which is easily good enough for me.

duckroll

Here are screens from the new Soul Hackers opening:

1oPeq.jpg

P30jx.jpg

5DMH7.jpg

Enk

makes good threads.
Oh wow. I came into this thread fully expecting SMT4 to go back to 1st person (which wouldn't have bothered me anyways), but am pleasantly surprised that it's continuing the 3rd person route that was in Nocturne. So hyped for this. So very hyped.

Persona86

Banned
remember that persona 4 hit the PS2 in 2009. i figured we might get one or two HD SMT games at the twilight of this generation, but i never imagined SMTIV as one of them - it's simply too niche for how console budgets are these days. 3DS is a fine compromise as it's clearly retaining the standard set by nocturne, which is easily good enough for me.

Yep looks like I was in the minority which explains the confusion.

But it's good enough for me too. :)

duckroll

You really don't see how they're not as accurately drawn as this?

I dunno, I hope you're right. For now though, I'll remain a skeptic. :p

The only thing I can remotely see in the pic which would suggest it is celshaded CG is not any sort of "accuracy" but rather how robotic the pose looks, and bland the coloring and the background is. So that would be the opposite of what you're saying! Honestly, all the anime cutscene shots look really bland to me. But Atlus has always been kinda shit with their FMVs. :p

Persona 3 and Persona 4 anime FMVs are some of the worst game anime FMVs out there.

Bebpo

Banned
Not sure about voice acting, but everything else sounds good.

I always felt lack of VO was a distinguishing factor of the more adult, less anime megaten entries since ps2. Don't really want SMT4 to have any persona influence.

Aeana

but can they publish digitally on EU stores?

I wonder. That would be interesting if they could manage that.

I always felt lack of VO was a distinguishing factor of the more adult, less anime megaten entries since ps2. Don't really want SMT4 to have any persona influence.

I'm a little apprehensive about it. I just hope they leave the protagonist unvoiced though.

Persona86

Banned
You really don't see how they're not as accurately drawn as this?

Q70kY.jpg

I dunno, I hope you're right. For now though, I'll remain a skeptic. :p

Well the shadows look softer/nicer and there's some nice detail on the clothing folds, but except for that it looks like anime to me. But if that's CG cutscene then it's pretty damn good although it lacks colour like duckroll said.

Either way it's good news for us IMO! :D

duckroll

But Soul Hackers on 3DS is now fully voiced. Clearly the team is just moving forward from there!

Wasn't Avatar Tuner voiced too? :p

EVOL 100%

You can have voice acting and have a mature story. It all comes down to the dialogue and delivery.

And as mentioned, DDS already had voice acting, and it didn't make it feel more anime.

duckroll

You can have voice acting and have a mature story. It all comes down to the dialogue and delivery.

And as mentioned, DDS already had voice acting, and it didn't make it feel more anime.

Well actually it did feel more anime. But by the looks of things, so is SMT4!

Persona86

Banned
But Soul Hackers on 3DS is now fully voiced. Clearly the team is just moving forward from there!

Wasn't Avatar Tuner voiced too? :p

As long as the voices don't sound like they come out of a kids cartoon! (which would totally ruin the mood of a dark SMT game) then it will probably be fine.

By the way how was the voice acting in Soul Hackers?

Dantis

Well the shadows look softer/nicer and there's some nice detail on the clothing folds, but except for that it looks like anime to me. But if that's CG cutscene then it's pretty damn good although it lacks colour like duckroll said.

Either way it's good news for us IMO! :D

Yeah, I guess it's a non-issue. I'm happy with how it looks, regardless of if it's CG or anime.

Man, so excited.

Yuterald

True, but like others, I too am always skeptical about voice acting. One wrong/questionable voice actor/actress can throw an entire game out of loop, especially something as serious/dark as SMT. Digital Devil Saga handled it fairly well because the main character did not talk. While we are on the subject of DDS, the second game certainly felt more anime than its predecessor. But that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the fact that there were voices, hah! I'm not really into the Persona games as most seem to be, but aren't the main dudes in those games silent as well?

Zornica

Banned
But Atlus doesn't exist in Europe.

Man, it's really depressing to think that suddenly region locks are back and we might not be able to play this game in Europe...

Atlus should really consider opening up a European branch.

but can they publish digitally on EU stores?

they wont have too, if that ghostlight deal pays of.
(for all who didn't get the memo yet)

look at their history. there is no way this won't come over.

I'm sure Europe will love it in 2015.

If that's the price to pay for NoE being a better publisher the last few years than NoA, so be it.

Top Bottom