• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS) - Trailer up! - TBA 2013 (New: Website update)

Soma

dat oppressive atmosphere

looking really good so far. I'm kinda thinking of going through Strange Journey in anticipation now.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
618px-DO_WANT.jpg

:D

Oh shit Duckroll you managed to grab the game already?
Looking forward to getting soul hackers tomorrow.

Ill see if I can play SH and GW2 at the same time! (This is going to end poorly D:)

bakedpony

Hopefully the demons developed (imported from PS2?) here will be used in more games in the future, just like the glory PS2 daYS!!!

Soulhouf

I don't know what to think of the trailer. The modern Tokyo part is cool but the medieval area is too colorful to me.
The music and atmosphere in general seem to be good though.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
but the medieval area is too colorful to me.

Real life is colorful regardless of the time period.
caerlaverock1m.jpg

Its like people who complained modern shooters are too brown / monotone and I went and posted pics of Iraq during a sand storm and the more colorful regions of Afghanistan. On another subject the bombed out monotone mess of a city that Grozny turned into during the Second Chechen war. Having been to my hometown Ishinomaki after the tsunami and such, it wasnt exactly the most colorful place either with all the wreckage mud and what not all mixed together. If you want an idea from a game that looked about right, think fallout 3 wandering around a wrecked out city. Not a pleasant feeling in real life let me tell you, nor scenery to look at 1000 fold for those living there seeing it on a daily basis. Thankfully its a lot better now with the constant work from various folks around the country / from other countries including my friends NPO.

Nothing against you personally but I really hate it when people complain about colors in a game. Its like they have never looked out of the windows of their homes before or something.

Soulhouf

caerlaverock1m.jpg

Its like people who complained modern shooters are too brown / monotone and I went and posted pics of Iraq during a sand storm and the more colorful regions of Afghanistan. On another subject the bombed out monotone mess of a city that Grozny turned into during the Second Chechen war. Having been to my hometown Ishinomaki after the tsunami and such, it wasnt exactly the most colorful place either with all the wreckage mud and what not all mixed together. If you want an idea from a game that looked about right, think fallout 3 wandering around a wrecked out city. Not a pleasant feeling in real life let me tell you, nor scenery to look at 1000 fold for those living there seeing it on a daily basis. Thankfully its a lot better now with the constant work from various folks around the country / from other countries including my friends NPO.

Nothing against you personally but I really hate it when people complain about colors in a game. Its like they have never looked out of the windows of their homes before or something.

You're absolutely right but it looks strange for a Shin Megami Tensei to have bright colors like that because I don't remember seeing that in SMT if,I,II or III (except for the intro before the apocalypse perhaps? )
I don't complain. We will see how that will turns out.

Well, having COMPs definitely implies they're going back to the SMT1-2 sort of setting, rather than a conceptual one like SMT3. But I wonder if they plan on tying in elements from all the previous SMT games... including SJ.

Well, the previous games had ties to earlier entries, so I'd say that is a high possibility.

I also wonder if they'll toss in a Raidou reference somewhere, given what happened in those games. That's probably pushing it, though.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
The day this releases is the day I buy a 3DS.

ranmafan

Nice trailer. Already probably my most anticipated game for next year, even with the little bit of info we got. Easily day one for me.

mihon

Considering that the 3DS is a lot less powerful compared to the PS3 I hope they take advantage of that and really put a lot of focus on gameplay and story.

I can't wait!

Interesting. It made me think how we (or at least I) expect more from low HWs then high end like PS3. I don't really care for high graphics and I don't remember when was the last time I turned my PS3 on (and I know it was to play Xenogears from PSN).

I makes me think how thinks were done more carefully back then.

An-Det

Really like the music. The trailer doesn't show as much game as I'd like, but still looks good. Can't wait for a larger unveil though.

jorgeton

Well, I'm certainly intrigued.
Hyped beyond belief
. I like the direction they're going.. it looks like you could maybe phase in and out of the different realities the trailer shows off? Weird that they don't show a single character's face. But, it creates an air of mystery that is excellent. So, yeah, excited.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Perfect timing, the day I get my XL in the mail too. Can't wait for some good handheld SMT action, even if I hope that console RPGs will be more prolific next gen.

Caelestis

So, are they trying to portray time travel in that trailer or parallel worlds? I am allergic to time travel since FF13-2. o_O

luca1980

Banned
So, are they trying to portray time travel in that trailer or parallel worlds? I am allergic to time travel since FF13-2. o_O
Rest assured, smt is another thing than toryiama and his crew.
Anyway 2013 is generic, I hoped for them to be near end development...

7threst

I already mentioned that earlier in the thread, I'm thinking the same thing Middle Ages vs Modern Day tokyo or something.

A possibility (which I think Duckroll said in a previous thread) is perhaps the game starts in the future where humanity has reverted to a religious middle ages period, living in walled cities while in the outside world nature has reclaimed the ruined cities. Perhaps, the main cast travels back in time to find out what happened to the lost civilization and prevent it?

That trailer didn't really confirm that the game is third person though.

I really hope it is, I don't like playing games in first person.

At the end the camera panning around the hero in third person, showing a variety of different environments. Exploration will definitely be in third person. Who knows what'll happen with the battle system though.

Vamphuntr

There wasn't much to see unfortunately. Music in the trailer was delightful but outside of that there isn't much to say asides that it feels like a megaten game. The medieval era concept art seemed awkward at first but it reverted back to Tokyo later on so we will have to wait to see what is up with that. I'm glad the COMP and the demon summoning program seem to be back.

But yeah, like Duckroll said this "trailer" implies the game is quite early in development. The trailer is almost entirely made up of concept art or animation stills.

I was expecting this to run on the Etrian Odyssey IV engine, since Strange Journey used the EO DS engine... now I'm not so sure since the game is not 1st person.

It's better, cuz it might be running on the Nocturne engine.

I'm torn here, I loved Nocturne, but also enjoyed the EO games, & SMT:SJ. It took me a while to get into the first person dungeon crawls, but I really enjoy the immersion it brings now. In fact my RPG history is a strange one, I went from only playing JRPG's to the Etrian Odysey games, to Megaten, to western RPG's if it wasn't for Altus's dungeon crawls I would never have been able to get into Elder Scrolls.

I just watched Jeremy Parish's preview of EO4 so if they use that engine for SMTIV I'm not going to complain, looks nice.

At the end the camera panning around the hero in third person, showing a variety of different environments. Exploration will definitely be in third person. Who knows what'll happen with the battle system though.

I don't know, it didn't seem so certain. Sure, why bother doing a character model if the game will be in first person? That's an indicator, however as you say it could be only used for exploration.

I think I could handle first person battles though.

Loved that preview! I never really played EO games but it got me super psyched for IV.

They are really great games. I hope the wait for EOIV isn't long, in the meantime I highly suggest you play EO III, compared to I & 2 it is definitely more accessible, and have many of the features that have carried over into IV, perhaps not as refined. They are difficult, not impossible, and reward patient gameplay. If you have a aversion to high difficulty than maybe you should hold off until IV gets localized.. The trailer shows a casual mode included. But I highly recommend the series.

I don't know, it didn't seem so certain. Sure, why bother doing a character model if the game will be in first person? That's an indicator, however as you say it could be only used for exploration.

I think I could handle first person battles though.

I don't think they'll bother making exploration third person if they're going to resort to first person battles, that'd be very jarring. Personally I hope for the option of first in both. First person dungeon crawlers are kinda rare enough already, so I want the option.

I don't think they'll bother making exploration third person if they're going to resort to first person battles, that'd be very jarring. Personally I hope for the option of first in both. First person dungeon crawlers are kinda rare enough already, so I want the option.

I love you.

Yuterald

First person dungeon crawlers are rare? The original DS/PSP were littered with them! Unchained Blades, Etrian Odyssey 1-3, Dark Spire, Strange Journey, Class of Heroes 1&2, Deep Labyrinth, King's Field Additional I&II, My World My Way (lol), etc. There's probably others I'm forgetting too. Oh, and Wizardry on PS3 is another one! There's PLENTY of modern day first person dungeon crawlers.

I mean, I like them as much as the next guy, but please, keep the first person an option/unlockable for SMT IV like it was in SMT III. We NEED a 3rd person RPG/SMT game in the vein of Nocturne, desperately.

First person dungeon crawlers are rare? The original DS/PSP were littered with them! Unchained Blades, Etrian Odyssey 1-3, Dark Spire, Strange Journey, Class of Heroes 1&2, Deep Labyrinth, King's Field Additional I&II, My World My Way (lol), etc. There's probably others I'm forgetting too. Oh, and Wizardry on PS3 is another one! There's PLENTY of modern day first person dungeon crawlers.

I mean, I like them as much as the next guy, but please, keep the first person an option/unlockable for SMT IV like it was in SMT III. We NEED a 3rd person RPG/SMT game in the vein of Nocturne, desperately.

You know as well as I do that first person crawls are less likely to show up then 3rd person ones across all platforms. Look how many FF remakes/ spin off games was out on the ds alone, couple that with the radiant histories, the Solatorobo's, Contact mana games.. The list goes on and on.
I remember when SMT: Strange Journey was announced, people complained about the fist person mode...
Tell you what, let's split the difference, let's hope we can set the viewpoint from the options at the start of the game. ;)

Edit:this is from the Ds RPGs list alone http://www.listal.com/list/rpg-world-nintendo-ds-edition

cj_iwakura

They're pretty dang common, I think. Class of Heroes, Wizardry Renaissance, Unchained Blades, Dark Spire, Etrian Odyssey, etc.

Hope for more 3rd person goodness. Looks like Nocturne too.

Even then there's not much difference. One is more feminine with a breastplate that accents the boobes, but otherwise it's the same design.

Do tell us what you think.

Gabriel is one of the minor changes. Vetala for example, changes drastically:

Soul Hackers

LvJkG.jpg

SMT3

lyhia.png

Persona3&4

wT9V4.gif

YHVH, that music! I got chills.

The characters look like Templars, and I wonder if that's (nocturne spoiler)
the "city" Demifiend creates at the end of Nocturne.

They look so Messian it's criminal.

caerlaverock1m.jpg

Also, remember back to Kaneko's use of color in Megaten games: it's often garish hues in flat blocks, especially for blood, Magatsuhi, or demonic/alien/cult architecture.

They are really great games. I hope the wait for EOIV isn't long, in the meantime I highly suggest you play EO III, compared to I & 2 it is definitely more accessible, and have many of the features that have carried over into IV, perhaps not as refined. They are difficult, not impossible, and reward patient gameplay. If you have a aversion to high difficulty than maybe you should hold off until IV gets localized.. The trailer shows a casual mode included. But I highly recommend the series.

Don't put him in the wrong mood, please.

They're pretty dang common, I think. Class of Heroes, Wizardry Renaissance, Unchained Blades, Dark Spire, Etrian Odyssey, etc.

I'll have to look into Unchained Blades and CoH, because those somehow slipped by me. But yeah, I'd still say they're probably slim pickings compared to your average third person RPG. But yeah, I think that even though we just got SJ, it's still important for SMT (imo) to at least have a first person option.

Top Bottom