• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Dantis

Gosh that cover art is pretty. I think this game features Doi's best art yet. Absolutely superb.

I hope Nintendo do that Fire Emblem credit deal thing in the UK. It would convince me to buy rather than rent.

desverger

I'm confused - does this game have a release date in Europe? One store is listing 31.8 as the release date but I'm not sure if that is just an estimate.

I'm thinking of getting this but I've never played a SMT game. But I guess that's not going to be an issue?

Dantis

I'm confused - does this game have a release date in Europe? One store is listing 31.8 as the release date but I'm not sure if that is just an estimate.

I'm thinking of getting this but I've never played a SMT game. But I guess that's not going to be an issue?

It's not an issue. And nope, no release date.

In the meantime, play Persona. It's really good.

desverger

It's not an issue. And nope, no release date.

In the meantime, play Persona. It's really good.

Okay, cheers. Guess I'll just have to wait..

I only have a DS so Persona is out of the question. But I suppose Etrian Odyssey 2 will keep me busy for a while more.

I need this game...whenever it decides to land Europe. Probably find my copy of Nocturne and give it a whirl sometime in preparation...or maybe try out Overclocked now that that has a patch.

Thoraxes

Okay, cheers. Guess I'll just have to wait..

I only have a DS so Persona is out of the question. But I suppose Etrian Odyssey 2 will keep me busy for a while more.

I haven't read too much on the previous page, but if you haven't, definitely check out Strange Journey! (if you've mentioned this then i'm sorry for not seeing your previous post!)

Dantis

I haven't read too much on the previous page, but if you haven't, definitely check out Strange Journey! (if you've mentioned this then i'm sorry for not seeing your previous post!)

He'd have to import it, because Strange Journey was never released in Europe.

OMG SO HYPED FOR THIS

Thanks once more to Y2Kev for kindly loaning me Nocturne (without collateral!) back when a copy was eleventy billion dollars, and to Aeana for convincing me that Megaten wasn't just Himuro's creepy boob-mouth fetish series

I'm excited for this. I really hope it is reminiscent of the great Nocturne.

My only concern is that I don't have 100+ hours to pour into this like I did with Nocturne :(

Fuck you America for getting this next week,

At least we're getting Mario & Luigi on Friday and W101 on August.

PS. I pre-ordered the CE from VG+, I hope it arrives by the end of July.

Alucrid

Banned
So compared to other SMT games, where does it fall in difficulty? Already ordered it, just want to know if I'll be crying under my desk like Nocturne or Strange Journey.

Kenka

As a European, I get dicked over by the zoned 3DS but I will be all over this thread once the game launches. Please spoiler the shit out of whatever you say.

No review yet ?

So compared to other SMT games, where does it fall in difficulty? Already ordered it, just want to know if I'll be crying under my desk like Nocturne or Strange Journey.
The J-GAF consensus is that it is way easier than Nocturne. I haven't played the game itself.

Ourobolus

Banned
Almost heeeeeeeeere!!!!

If it wasn't for TLOU I'd have been doing playthroughs of the previous games, but I'll definitely revisit them after this one. Can't wait!

Forkball

Man, if that $30 eShop credit thing is true, it is worth buying SMT for an inflated price digitally. That's like getting Dream Team or Pokemon for free.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Did we ever figure out why Atlus is charging $50 as opposed to $40?
In Japan some niche genres get away with higher than average msrp because the publishers know who their audience is and the dedicated fanbase is going to buy it regardless.

I definitely feel like Atlus is doing the same thing with SMT4 considering historical performance and reception of Nocturne and other non-persona spinoffs. At any rate you'll be getting your money's worth if you're into the series.

Despera

Banned
Quick question: I already registered the e-shop ver. of FE:A a long time ago... Do I still get $30 if I register my e-shop copy of SMTIV?

If not, I'll definitely go for the physical copy.

jackal27

Banned
Maybe I should try and finish Strange Journey before this comes out on Tuesday... HAHAHAHAHA! Yeah... I'm never going to finish that game... T_T

Midou

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| Hope leads the Samurai

lol.

Speaking of easier than Nocturne, that seems to be how many SMT games are after it came out, quite a few just naturally get easier after the first few hours after you can amass a lot of demons of various strengths. It's unfortunate but oh well.

This has ended up being my first SMT game. Excited as well to continue giving my 3DS a workout.

R6GSJ1q.png

Cannot unsee gunmetal Cyberman

So hyped for this game! I've had it pre-ordered since pre-orders first went up. I finished SH about a week ago and have been trying to finish up my P2EP playthrough which was going well until I remembered that VLR was up for free via PS+. So that's been taking up some of my time.

I can't believe we're just a week away at this point, I'm so ready to be playing this game. Silly DLC costumes and all, bring it on!

Philthy

Gosh that cover art is pretty. I think this game features Doi's best art yet. Absolutely superb.

I hope Nintendo do that Fire Emblem credit deal thing in the UK. It would convince me to buy rather than rent.

Do we know what ever happened to Kazuma Kaneko? Doi is great, but is more traditional. I like the way Kazuma did faces.

That said, I preordered this and I don't even have a 3DS yet.

Today is "sit around and play Nocturne" day.

Quick question: I already registered the e-shop ver. of FE:A a long time ago... Do I still get $30 if I register my e-shop copy of SMTIV?

If not, I'll definitely go for the physical copy.

We still don't know the details of the promotion.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Jeez, this OT kinda exploded. I'm kinda surprised -- didn't think that many people gave a shit about SMT. Glad I was wrong.

I have this game preordered in full, and I'm going to pick it up on day 1, but I have to wait until August to play it, because I have the bar exam at the end of the month and goddammit, if I start this game I'm not going to study. In conclusion, I hate all of you who will be playing it.

And the Raidou series still sucks.

-Horizon-

Seems my order will take around a week after release date to get to me since I didn't choose the faster shipping. That's ok, I can wait, I need to finish PxZ anyway.

GeekyDad

My first core SMT game. I hope I like it. Soul Hackers started off well but got kind of dry... I've set it aside for a couple of months. I'd like to finish it but it just never really hooked me in.

Yeah this is how it was for me, I got really into it for a few hours and I kind of force myself through an hour at a time on occasion but I'm not really motivated to go through it. I will go back to it one day though. I gave up on it a few weeks ago thinking I didn't want to burn myself out on dungeon crawlers in time for SMT4.

I also put off EO4 when Soul Hackers came out for the same reason, so I need to eventually get to EO4 as well.

I think Soul Hackers was perhaps not the best place to begin your relationship with the SMT universe. I enjoyed it, but a lot of that had to do with my fascination with SMT and old-school games. I imagine SMTIV will do a lot more to hold your interests.

Gonna copy & paste the comment I left on the Atlus boards:

Got a feeling it's based on Nintendo policy as perhaps part of a deal to assure retailers they won't undercut prices on eShop. Pure speculation, but that's what I'm going with. And it could explain why they're offering that $30 incentive to folks who purchase this or Awakening from the eShop (still unconfirmed, of course, whether the deal is for eShop buyers only).

Midou

Do we know what ever happened to Kazuma Kaneko? Doi is great, but is more traditional. I like the way Kazuma did faces.

Yeah I am still curious too. Kaneko Art + Meguro soundtrack would have been my ultimate SMT4 regardless of platform, but it still seems to be turning out pretty great.

I mean I figure Meguro is working on Persona 5, but I doubt Kaneko is as well.

Forkball

The first printing is $50 at retailers, so Nintendo pricing their digital version lower wouldn't please them at all. Hence the random price jump. Though if Nintendo is giving away $30 eShop credit then it's certainly worth it.

Watashiwa

Edit: But I don't think you can claim that people are expected to beat the game that way. And someone has to get the strong demon in the first place.

Edit2: I looked it up, it's a heavy physical attack right? How will that help me survive? Sure, the battle will be a bit shorter but still long enough for something lethal to strike.

As to the first point, the idea is that some people will make demons that are really good against specific bosses, intentionally or through blind luck, and share the password online. So they didn't hold back on the difficulty of the boss battles because they knew that if a player got stuck he or she could just go online and get a demon or three designed to shred that particular boss. You're right that someone who has mastered the fusion system could just build up their own teams as needed, but Atlus didn't need to worry that most players would not have the patience to get that good.

As to the second, there are two skills with Jihad in the name--you're thinking of the mid-range single target physical attack. I'm thinking of the supreme Almighty skill that comes with a side order of "Debilitate" that hits all enemies. The latter is just "Jihad", the previous has a modifying adjective of some sort. If you want it legally, Shiva comes with it.

Busaiku

So is there anything like Nemecchi in this?
Now that I'm finally willing to spend coins, I can make use of that.

Top Bottom