• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

imBask

Banned
Good gameplay, great music, interesting story and characters. And instead of shuffling Personas you can have three demons in your party at once.

Phallus shaped demons, amazing music, great characters, oppressive atmosphere, tons of fun, and addiction.
That's what you should expect :p

the story looks pretty dark and the setting seemed kinda brown... considering that I didn't like Persona 3 because I thought it was too "dark and edgy" for me, am I in for deception?

Watashiwa

never played a SMT game (played persona 3 and 4 though)

picking up this game right before a 5h train ride, what should I expect?

Depends. What'd you like about P3 and 4? The characters/story or the gameplay (fighting, fusion, etc)? Did you like 3 or 4 better?

If you liked the gameplay you'll like the gameplay in SMTIV; it's harder and faster and satisfying once you've figured out how not to die every other encounter. If you liked the characters and story (particularly in P4) you're less likely to enjoy the game since it's very different. P3 comes close to having the same feel but even that's not the same.

EDIT: Ah, I see you've responded. If you thought P3 was too dark than you'll hate SMTIV; all Persona is much lighter than mainline SMT except in the bad endings.

gotee12

Am I at all familiar with the SMT series? Nope.

Is there a deal involving another game I already own? Yep.

Pre-ordered.

Sucker for a deal.

Soriku

the story looks pretty dark and the setting seemed kinda brown... considering that I didn't like Persona 3 because I thought it was too "dark and edgy" for me, am I in for deception?

Hmm...IDK. Persona 3 isn't that dark. But this game is set in a post-apocalyptic setting and deals with factions and angels vs. demons and so on so I'm not sure how you'll take it.

Also, promo vid for the $30 credit deal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9_gqpzT5OQ

Dat music.

SteeloDMZ

Banned

The themes of P3 dealt with death, so that was probably what seemed dark for you. From what I've seen, IV is different in that regard. P3 also felt very claustrophobic since the Tartarus was where you spent most of the time in battle, but in IV there's a big world to explore.

Watashiwa

How do you "register" games that you downloaded via eshop?

First link your Club Nintendo account and your eShop account. There's an option for that in the eShop's settings menu (go all the way left on the main bar). All future eShop purchases will appear in Club Nintendo.

For stuff you've already bought and downloaded you'll need to message Club Nintendo support. Send them an email saying you'd like to register eShop games and they'll have you write a list.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
If I didn't like Nocturne when I played it 8 years ago, will I not like this? My biggest issue was the difficulty. I did immensely enjoy Persona 4, but I realize they're very different.

EDIT: I bought Nocture again off Amazon for $15. Figured for that price I'd give it another shot.

Dantis

Do we know what ever happened to Kazuma Kaneko? Doi is great, but is more traditional. I like the way Kazuma did faces.

That said, I preordered this and I don't even have a 3DS yet.

Kaneko is basically a business man now, I think. He still works at Atlus though, NichM confirmed it on here a few months back.

Yeah I am still curious too. Kaneko Art + Meguro soundtrack would have been my ultimate SMT4 regardless of platform, but it still seems to be turning out pretty great.

I mean I figure Meguro is working on Persona 5, but I doubt Kaneko is as well.

Meguro was confirmed to be on Persona 5 a while ago, and Persona in general has been eating up his time. He generally does one soundtrack per year, but they keep putting him on side-projects like Arena, Golden and The Animation.

Volcynika

PokéKong;69143576 said:
Why is this game 50 freaking dollars even for the digital version? I thought it was only that much for coming with the soundtrack and all them extras?

Probably a retailer thing and them getting mad if Nintendo's own shop undercuts them.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
From Destructoid:

Come back tomorrow morning for our full Shin Megami Tensei IV review. A preview? It's fantastic.

Embargo should be up tomorrow then. Also seems like Atlus is very confident in this game having reviews out a week before the game comes out.

Volcynika

From Destructoid:

Embargo should be up tomorrow then. Also seems like Atlus is very confident in this game having reviews out a week before the game comes out.

Lifts 9AM PT, was mentioned earlier in the thread. I'll be at work at the time (11AM for me), but come lunchtime I can start updating the thread.

Soriku

If I didn't like Nocturne when I played it 8 years ago, will I not like this? My biggest issue was the difficulty. I did immensely enjoy Persona 4, but I realize they're very different.

EDIT: I bought Nocture again off Amazon for $15. Figured for that price I'd give it another shot.

This game has an easy mode so you can play on that. Supposedly the first hour is hard in this game but it gets easier as it opens up (much like Nocturne I guess).

As for Nocturne, it's not very hard. Just make good use of buffs and healing skills. And fuse this Daisoujou ASAP, it'll make things a lot easier:

Unicorn + sudama (makakaja) = Neko (makakaja) + Beast = Element Air (makakaja)
Element Air (Makakaja) + Element Water = Kusi Mitama (Makakaja)

Oni (warcry) + Inugami (fog breath) == Taraka (war/fog)
sudama (makatora) + shikigami = pyro jack + angel = uzume (makatora)

Taraka (war/fog) + Uzume (makatora) == Kelpie (war/fog/makatora)
Kelpie (war/fog/makatora) + Pisaca (dekunda) == daisoujou (war/fog/dekunda/makatora)

Daisoujou (war/fog/dekunda/makatora) + Kusi Mitama (Makakaja + Dekaja)

Daisoujou (War/Fog/Dekunda/Makatora/Makakaja/Dekaja)

GeekyDad

I'm schizophrenic and so am I. :p

Eight years is a long time. But I'm thinking the games are going to play very similarly, so that's something to consider.

Infinite

I think for the people who liked persona 4 but wasn't really feeling Nocturn the minimalist story in Nocturn may have something to do with that. So does Smt4 have a minimalist story like Nocturn or one more like persona 3 and 4

Skelter

Banned
Everyone asking about whether we need to own both or if its retroactive I finally have confirmation!

Asked Nintendo support. I bought Fire Emblem on launch so this is great to know.

pOQg3AM.jpg

zroid

Banned
Everyone asking about whether we need to own both or if its retroactive I finally have confirmation!

Asked Nintendo support. I bought Fire Emblem on launch so this is great to know.

pOQg3AM.jpg

Wait, what was your question? lol

Why is he saying it's not what you wanted to hear o-0

Anyway, thanks, I'll quote this response in the OP of the deal thread if you don't mind.

Skelter

Banned
Wait, what was your question? lol

Why is he saying it's not what you wanted to hear o-0

Anyway, thanks, I'll quote this response in the OP of the deal thread if you don't mind.

I had asked if the deal was for buying one game or both. At the time I was optimistic!

Go ahead I want others to see.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
They may as well have been giving away free copies of FE if it was only one game required. It's hit that price at retail by now I think.

I've had this preordered for months, but that deal is delicious as fuck. Glad it's happening. Gonna Voltron dat $30 with a $20 eshop card I've been waiting to use and buy something awesome with it. Maybe I'll save it for Phoenix Wright.

Skelter

Banned
They may as well have been giving away free copies of FE if it was only one game required. It's hit that price at retail by now I think.

This could be Nintendo's way of apologizing by having Etrian Odyssey and Fire Emblem launch in the same month right? Everyone seems to have ignored EOIV.

Roubjon

What a crazy deal. I can't imagine there are many people with a 3DS who would buy a SMT game and not already have Fire Emblem.

I'm hoping to use the deal to convince more of my friends to grab SMT. They should be happy to know it also happens to look like an amazing game.

Taborcarn

I traded in my PS3 for a 3DS last week for this game, and have it preordered with Amazon Prime. I also got a copy of Fire Emblem last week and registered it so I should be good for the Promo.

register FEA and SMT IV on club nintendo and you get 30 bucks of eshop money.

Deal was leaked early and got removed. Probably saving it for next week when SMTIV is out

Edit : apparently it has to be eshop purchases though which i guess heals the wounds of not getting the physical copy extras

The offer is on club nintendo's site. The purchases can be retail.

http://club2.nintendo.com/30/

extralite

As to the first point, the idea is that some people will make demons that are really good against specific bosses, intentionally or through blind luck, and share the password online. So they didn't hold back on the difficulty of the boss battles because they knew that if a player got stuck he or she could just go online and get a demon or three designed to shred that particular boss. You're right that someone who has mastered the fusion system could just build up their own teams as needed, but Atlus didn't need to worry that most players would not have the patience to get that good.

As to the second, there are two skills with Jihad in the name--you're thinking of the mid-range single target physical attack. I'm thinking of the supreme Almighty skill that comes with a side order of "Debilitate" that hits all enemies. The latter is just "Jihad", the previous has a modifying adjective of some sort. If you want it legally, Shiva comes with it.
Debilitate seems to be Randomizer in Japanese. I'm already using Randomizer and Luster Candy close to the max, otherwise I wouldn't even survive any physical or magical attack. If you max out the debuffs or buffs of course she will cancel everything so I see why an attack that also has the debuff effect would be useful. But:

There's still the multihit physical (which can be lethal if too many hit the MC) and one type of instant death I can only avoid with items. Add her sending demons away or killing them and it increases the chance that the MC will eat too many hits.

I defeated the first form maybe 3~5 times, then die in the second round against the next form.

I'm pretty sure I need to raise my level. I think I even with that jihad skill the risk of dying remains too high. It doesn't do anything that attack and Debilitate don't also do in two turns, right?

LProtag

I have SMTIV preordered even though I don't have a 3DS yet...

Probably going to grab a 3DS XL and Fire Emblem in the next few days if a few things going on in my life right now work out.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh I accidentally clicked the spoiler line since the rest of the post was so sarcastic.

Why would you even post something like that when it adds nothing to the discussion other than for proving your point.

Yeah that Club Nintendo promotion.... Kinda just took the tiny embers of interest I had in this game and fanned them into a raging wildfire!

I'm totally new to the series, but I've heard that this is both a great jumping-in point, as well as a great game in general. Gonna pre-order asap and hope for the best when it comes to shipping!

Ugh I accidentally clicked the spoiler line since the rest of the post was so sarcastic.

Why would you even post something like that when it adds nothing to the discussion other than for proving your point.

Dammit! I even read your post and knew that it was a spoiler, but my dumb brain said "oh let me check what was under the tag!"

I hate myself right now. went from almost 100% blind to spoiled.... Thank god I only read the first 5-6 words and don't know what any of it means... yet. >.> Heh, it seems every great game I've been playing I get spoiled on the story. At least I don't know the build up to the reveal though. That's always interesting to experience.

I started Persona 3 about a month ago, and I now am over the top excited for this. I love the serious direction that this takes (unless I'm mistaken) as opposed to Persona.

Edit: not that Persona doesn't have dark moments, but this seems a bit more... maturely themed?

Are there any preorder deals for the game still active?"

The first print run comes with a history of SMT soundtrack and a 176 page guide/artbook. Pretty sure this can be purchased from any retailer, though I pre-ordered with Amazon just to be sure.

extralite

Dammit! I even read your post and knew that it was a spoiler, but my dumb brain said "oh let me check what was under the tag!"

I hate myself right now. went from almost 100% blind to spoiled.... Thank god I only read the first 5-6 words and don't know what any of it means... yet. >.> Heh, it seems every great game I've been playing I get spoiled on the story. At least I don't know the build up to the reveal though. That's always interesting to experience.

There are so many more things you don't know though. The story is very complex, with a lot more reveals.

Just pointing out that my original post didn't really include a spoiler and when I did post an actual spoiler, in spoiler tags, that turned out shitty for perorist and podracer. Sorry for that.

The post with the actual spoiler was deleted by a mod.

Saibastian

Neo Member
There should be a spoiler thread like there was for VLR, the non-spoiler OT was one of the safest threads I've ever browsed before release.

stolin

apparently it's 14k blocks. I'm not sure how large is that in human language right now.

Completely forgot about the size of the game digitally. If anyone can get an exact size, I'll add it to the OP.

Why does Nintendo even use this block language, anyway? Its dumb.

Nintendo has been using the same numbers for Blocks since 2001 on GameCube. It's just another logical unit that always presented to the user. 128k = 1 Block

8 bits = 1 byte, 1024 bytes = 1k, 128k = 1 Block.
14,000 Block * 1024 * 128 = 1,835,008,000 bytes,

1835MB or ~1.8GB if the 14k blocks is correct.
Make sense ?

Top Bottom