• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shining Armor And Fine Words... The Official NO MORE HEROES Thread

Sagitario

Farore said:
I just started this game tonight... :)

- I love the NES-like sounds and interface...

- The overworld... well... I didn't mind at first, but after spending more time on it... it really does suck...

- Waggle is fun... :p... at least so far...

- It makes me sad that the game's framerate is not constant [specially during the main story missions]...

- Travis's obsession with anime girls creeps me out [MOE~]...

- I'm not catholic, but +1 to Suda for including the Virgen de Guadalupe...

- Why if I fail a mission, I've to travel back to the K-Entertainment building to be able to try the mission again? Traveling = wasting time... if the overworld wasn't so horrible, I'd not mind that much...

- Is there any way/place where I can watch the moves the game teaches you in the tutorial? Or see the moves you've available?
Before fighting the first boss, I found a note on a wrestler mask and then I got a message that said "You have remembered an old move..." or something... what's up with that?

Anyone?

against bosses you usually do different wrestling moves that you dont do against normal people. picking up the mask unlocks the move but you start it like any other wrestling move (b) but you have to stun bosses before you can do it. and usually boss wrestling moves are two parts like <- -> then ^^ or something.

Proven said:
What bothers me is that the border to Mexico is in the north part of town.

As for speculation and theories, let's just say the game's ending is open to interpretation.

And in retrospect, I'm kinda glad I played through Killer 7 before I found GAF and some other forums.

My father watched me fight Dr. Peace, and mentioned that apparently the baseball team, ads, etc, are all from Hawaii. The utterly illogical geography reminds me of Springfield.

Got this game on Friday and have managed to make my way up to the 5th rank in two play sessions. Awesomely fun game, I absolutely love the combat, the presentation, the music and the fucked up cutscenes, so much so that I find it easy to forgive NMH for its clunkier bits.

Shirt 28 is my personal fav so far.

The last mission and the cutscenes that follow where fucking weird which for this game is Par for the course but still, it was hard to rap my head around it.

Sylvia: "Sorry, no sequel!" After the credits: "To be continued!" ?????

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
TunaLover said:
Correct, all speculation about Sylvia and Travis relationship is just that, speculation and theories.
Heavy Spoilers
I tend to think in Jeanne like a simbolic character, she represents the non existence of the good and evil, after all you can blame too much Jeanne for what she done, she done that for her mother revange, the same kind of revange for what travis is fightin for. Also she was 4 persons or "persona" (Killer7 language), she was Travis girlfriend, half sister, a cat and a little girl. To me the little girl and the cat represents the good side of this persona Jeanne, and the killer sister, the bad side.
well...
you really have to look at Jeane from the perspective of the gender interpretation. yes, she is all of those 4 things, but the biggest thing you have to pay attention to is all of these personas' relationships to Travis. first there's the ex-girlfriend. in the very telling picture on the desk, Jeane the girlfriend is portrayed as sort of this fleeting figure, like something that just slipped through Travis's fingers, like a breeze in the summer. in Jeane the cat, we see what Travis still holds within his heart about Jeane the girlfriend. it's almost like a fantasy that she would have been someone to love, take care of, and cuddle with: a traditional romantic idealization. it very much ties in with Japanese media culture because, in my experience, that very idealization is what the term "moe" is based on. in Jeane the fighter, we have Jeane the girlfriend show Travis who she really is and why they're staring each other down. however (because kill = fuck), Travis still ultimately accepts Jeane for who she is, despite her objections. Jeane the child, very well could be the product of that whole relationship. i thought it out a bit, and i believe that Jeane the child is not Sylvia's but Jeane the fighter's child with Travis. it would fit within current culture and what we know of the timeline.

also, a final note: it's spelled SYMBOL. i know, it's a hold-over from middle English.

Farore said:
it's the wrestling move you do against the boss on that stage.

Threi

notag
jaundicejuice said:
Got this game on Friday and have managed to make my way up to the 5th rank in two play sessions. Awesomely fun game, I absolutely love the combat, the presentation, the music and the fucked up cutscenes, so much so that I find it easy to forgive NMH for its clunkier bits.

Shirt 28 is my personal fav so far.

Whichever shirt has that drawing of some angry...thing is my favorite. It's...white.

I will get the number later.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Threi said:
Whichever shirt has that drawing of some angry...thing is my favorite. It's...white.

the No More Heroes sketch shirt?

i really like alot of the shirts, but i think my favorite has to be one of the sun shirts. DON'T TOUCH MY BEARD! :lol

Threi said:

#79: "No More Heroes". Definitely my favorite shirt and it goes great with the Grizzly Bear jacket

I also like #86, #40 (I think that is the GHW shirt), and all the Glastonbury t-shirts.

Vinnk

Here we go again. Every time I read this thread I remember the cool things in this game and want to play it again. Well OK thread, you win. Time to play through it a 4th time.

Proven

TwinIonEngines said:
No, it's not.

I played a little bit earlier and it's indeed not. I spend so much time in the south side of town that I somehow got it into my head that the south side is the north side. Man my head needs a check up.

Saitou

Banned
Well, I finally bought this today. Already ranked sixth.

The aftermath of the sixth fight was just.... MANLY TEARS ;___;

This is a lot more like Killer7 than I was told to assume.

Christine

Proven said:
I played a little bit earlier and it's indeed not. I spend so much time in the south side of town that I somehow got it into my head that the south side is the north side. Man my head needs a check up.

No worries. I'm a California native and I live on the west coast, so it was pretty intuitive to orient myself by the ocean. Santa Destroy looks so Californian that it almost hurts - it's like they rolled hundreds of miles of Highway 1 into one little desolate California town.

Flynn

RocketDarkness said:
My father watched me fight Dr. Peace, and mentioned that apparently the baseball team, ads, etc, are all from Hawaii. The utterly illogical geography reminds me of Springfield.

I think the Warriors are also a reference to the movie The Warriors. There's a pretty famous image of one gang from that movie who dressed up like baseball players.

Sagitario

Kevtones said:
Got some questions:

1) Does finishing all Free Fights net me anything?
2) Does getting gold on all Assassination missions net me anything?

I'd like to know this too...

Also, is there any way to try again failed missions without having to travel back to the K-Entertainment building?

Alts

TunaLover said:
In the end Sylvia show up her true feelings about Travis, she sounds like she fall in love with this otaku looser. But then again she's a master of lies.

The phone call I referred to and the one you refer to are one in the same.

why does this game's graphics look so muddied? i was super surprised while playing, because none of the screenshots gave this impression. it's like the game runs at a low resolution but then also has some sort of weird filter on top as well.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Farore said:
Also, is there any way to try again failed missions without having to travel back to the K-Entertainment building?

Afraid not. After a few hours I dreaded failing a mission for that reason.

Just spent the night having game over like 10 times on the Shinobu fight! :lol During the course of this I realized screw being defensive! Swing that freaking beam katana! P.S thanks Suda 51!

Mifune

Mehmber
I'm only up to Rank 8 in this and I'm loving it. It's just too nutty not to love.

And I could never get into Killer 7. Loved the ideas but just found it unplayable.

people are having a hard time with shinobu? yo i sliced her ass in like 45 seconds, no problem. i was waiting for her to transform into a dragon for a 2nd wave boss encounter or some shit...never happened.

zoukka

Aurelius said:
It’s been postponed for two weeks in Europe. Maybe there putting the blood back in. ;)

:(

I'm forced to buy the PAL-version too, cuz there's no way I can play the imported USA-version anytime soon. So Suda did in the end, have my money.

Saitou

Banned
So I just beat this game with the 'real' ending.

Holy shit.

This is Suda's revenge for not being able to complete Killer7. Now he purposefully makes an incoherent, incomplete story.

I want to have Suda's babies so bad :(

MaddenNFL64

Just killed the first boss, and starting to explore city for shirts, and whatnot. My favorite part of the game is definitely the fighting aspects. I even got the raspberry sundae or whatever he said powerup, that lets u go completely nuts, and kill everything.

Sagitario

OMFG!

Fucking Shinobu... >__< ...

I've been trying to kill her for 2 hours now [hands pain], I cannot freaking believe it... not even in Devil May Cry I wasted so much time with a boss, seriously... the battle system is fun, but with this battle it's like every little unpolished thing about the fighting mechanics really "shine" [but not enough to frustrate me and make me quit playing though, how weird!]...

Is there some kind of trick I'm missing with this boss? Are there secret techniques not explained in the tutorial? For example: while fighting Shinobu, Travis sometimes [very rarely] will go around her in perfect half circle, positioning exactly behind her... What's up with that? How do I trigger that move [because I'm sure is not random]?

Another thing, the camera while locking... after you dodge, it takes 2 or 3 seconds to readjust and focus on the locked enemy again... so annoying while fighting Shinobu because you have to dodge a lot -_- ...

FooTemps

Farore said:
OMFG!

I've been trying to kill her for 2 hours now [hands pain], I cannot freaking believe it... not even in Devil May Cry I wasted so much time with a boss, seriously... the battle system is fun, but with this battle it's like every little unpolished thing about the fighting mechanics really "shine" [but not enough to frustrate me and make me quit playing though, how weird!]...

Is there some kind of trick I'm missing with this boss? Are there secret techniques not explained in the tutorial? For example: while fighting Shinobu, Travis sometimes [very rarely] will go around her in perfect half circle, positioning exactly behind her... What's up with that? How do I trigger that move [because I'm sure is not random]?

Another thing, the camera while locking... after you dodge, it takes 2 or 3 seconds to readjust and focus on the locked enemy again... so annoying while fighting Shinobu because you have to dodge a lot -_- ...

Block and the next frame move left or right, you'll do the circle around.

As for beating Shinobu... Use the pillars to your advantage and wait for good openings really.

Farore said:

For example: while fighting Shinobu, Travis sometimes [very rarely] will go around her in perfect half circle, positioning exactly behind her... What's up with that? How do I trigger that move [because I'm sure is not random]?

im not sure what you mean from how you describe it. you might be referring to the side step he does. on certain moves if you tap to the left or right at the right time he does a side step and the screen gets darker and you have a chance to attack.

farore said:

the camera can be really wonky when you fight shinobu, it can make things more frustrating. dont worry though not all bosses are as hard as her.

FooTemps said:
As for beating Shinobu... Use the pillars to your advantage and wait for good openings really.

yeah dont get too aggressive with her. be more cautious and wait for openings like FooTemps said. also sometimes if you have some distance you can use the low charge move and can walk closer and use it

Fucking Shinobu indeed.

Don't know if you guys are playing on the "sour" difficulty, but I do and she is a pain in the fucking ass. I mean, the fighting system is already a bit random, but now, damn... I've spent 2 hours trying to beat her ass, I'm almost there, but every fucking time when she has like 1HP left she does that fucking cinematic where she teleports everywhere and kill me in one shot (even if my life meter is almost full). Wow, just wow... that's lazy boss coding.

After like 1 hours I realized that she only hit in the "high" position so keep the wiimote up to block every hit except the big flashing attack. It then becomes quite easy, until she does that damn attack that kills in one shot at the end.

That suck, I thought the game was awesome until now, but shit is Shinobu a fucking lazy boss, hell that might even keep me from continuing the game. :(

Twig

Banned
Baiano19 said:
You might want to spoiler that...
You might want to spoiler that...

(lol quoting a spoiler and not spoilering it)

d:
goldenticket said:
im not sure what you mean from how you describe it. you might be referring to the side step he does. on certain moves if you tap to the left or right at the right time he does a side step and the screen gets darker and you have a chance to attack.
Yeah. Except it's more like on certain enemy moves. I think you can only do it as an enemy is finishing a combo. So on an enemy's finishing up a combo and getting ready to swing that last hit (or shoot that last bullet), wiggle the control stick back and forth. You don't have to time it perfectly, and there's no punishment for going back and forth until it works.

It definitely helps against bosses, and ESPECIALLY during the free fight missions.

Sorry to bump with, but im about to be finishing up this game and is it possible for anyway to tell WITHOUT spoiling anything, weither or not ill be able to keep playing after i beat the final boss?

Like after i beat it can I come back and get the rest of the shits/jeans/whatever I dont have yet?

Any help would be great!

Christine

You'll have the option to view the ending or return to Santa Destroy at the end of the game. After viewing the ending, you'll have the opportunity to save a clear file and start a new plus. You may as well do that though, because you're put right back in SD right at as it was - you'll have the opportunity to finish collecting things on your next play.

TwinIonEngines said:
You'll have the option to view the ending or return to Santa Destroy at the end of the game. After viewing the ending, you'll have the opportunity to save a clear file and start a new plus. You may as well do that though, because you're put right back in SD right at as it was - you'll have the opportunity to finish collecting things on your next play.

So when i play again...will I have everything I had from my last save then?

Top Bottom